[APP][09/29/11] Book button menu. {NEW:LandscapeSwitch,Propagation}

Search This thread

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Heya all.

Changelog:
1.1 - Added orientation switch and propagation (open "Reading Now") to Nook reader
1.0 - Initial release with home and CoolReader option.

Working on:
Investigating the way to distinguish if opening reading now book and not other epubs in order not to show menu on any library book click.

History/Idea:
Just got nook last Sunday as gift and immediately noticed after root that back/menu buttons in status bar is great, but would be even better to use book button as home OR as menu, was messing with framework, etc. to no avail, but finally got a better and simpler solution, but with cons.

After installing CoolReader I noticed that "reading now" button will trigger android select app menu with Nook Reader and CoolReader, so it is broadcast event, opening with CoolReader shows it is getting started epub.

So, here it is. Simple app, registers as one of the epub readers, by having last read in native nook reader any epub - and by pressing "reading now" button it will trigger app select dialog with my app in list (you can check to always open epubs with it).

It will show styled popup menu (see screenshot) containing only Home (will open default one or list of available homes if none selected as default), orientation switch, CoolReader shortcut (hardcoded now) and Nook Reader (this one will open remembered "Reading Now" book)

Cons:
1. Will be triggered on any broadcast event to open epub. (I don't care as I read in fb2)
2. If nothing in "reading now" it will not be triggered as well if "reading now" is not epub
3. hardcoded shortcuts for now

If it generates enough interest I can improve app (in current state functionality is enough for me). I could think of adding next features:
1. Add/Configure any shortcuts, e.g.:
* Back/Menu buttons in addition to home (this will required root to run)
* Add/Configure any shortcut
2. Add ability to propagate event data, e.g. if "reading now" sending "warandpeace.epub" to this app - send it to launching app if configured. This will allow to register this app to open epub and then open configured reader with epub data - done, besides configuration
3. Investigate launch origin (launching activity) and if it is not opening from status bar, but for example from astro/library - open configured reader propagating data.
4. Organize shortcuts as tree
5. Add recent apps submenu

Attachments

• NookBB_1.1.png
    NookBB_1.1.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 5,401
  • NookBB_1.1.apk
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,339
Last edited:

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
Really interesting :)

It could even replace Button Savior in a subtler way

BTW, in the same spirit, do you know if it could be possible to change the app launched when you click on the home button in the menu that appear when you press the n button ?

unattached

Jul 23, 2009
hi,

i tried it and it works great, thanks!!

isn't it possible to launch the default app automatically, when pressing the button?

(on a side note: wouldn't it be possible to reconfiger the home button of the standard nook menu (the one that opens when you press the n-hardware-button) to launch the default android home?app?

edit: ok, somebody was quicker, i swear i didn't copy..

cymoze

May 25, 2011
If it generates enough interest I can improve app (in current state functionality is enough for me). I could think of adding next features:
2. Add ability to propagate event data, e.g. if "reading now" sending "warandpeace.epub" to this app - send it to launching app if configured. This will allow to register this app to open epub and then open configured reader with epub data
3. Investigate launch origin (launching activity) and if it is not opening from status bar, but for example from astro/library - open configured reader propagating data.

Consider my interest highly generated. This is flat out great, especially if the option to go to Reader is built into Nook Book Button menu, and with the options of Back and Menu. I like Button Savior, but this has all of the same potential with a less obvious footprint and more seamless execution.

I'm running it now and this is really fun - if #2 can be done as well I see this as becoming an indispensible app for the nook touch root.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

Last edited:

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Thanks. I'm trying to get a clue if it was launched from "Reading now" button or from other app. I can easily distinguish between "Reading now" and let's say Astro, but cannot distinguish from Nook Library. :mad:

And... great news - I'll post update soon with working landscape/portrait button.

Working on: opening only from "Reading now" or other nook app, but skips to configured reader otherwise. Also, instead of CoolReader I'll have configured reader in the menu.

For the back/menu buttons this will require root.

It is possible to change "n" button, I have it configured as Search button and assigned SoftKeys to search button long press. I'll post instructions soon as well as modified SoftKeys to handle Search long press without need of external app and also with a bit more friendly colors for eInk (background of recent apps white instead of blured)

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
I think you've done a great job. and I guess adding a list of (programmable) shortcuts on that button would be neat (like when copying several chunks of text from a pdf to a doc text or something of the sort).

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Ok, story number 1:
I dissembled (smali) framework jars and now have good idea how that book button works, basically it send custom broadcast, problem is that broadcast not ordered, I can change service.jar to broadcast mine event and this will allow to configure how to act, e.g. you can configure as default (reading now so I'll just send original broadcast), popup this menu or launch any app including home or softkeys directly.

Will play a bit more if android:priority indeed works even for unordered sendBroadcast and if I can abortBroadcast to not allow original reader spawn - we can avoid modification of the service.jar.

story 2:
WindowManagerPolicy/WindowManagerService seams like directly invoking native (JNI) code on home button, I was playing with remapping keys and finally found one that works with single press (Call not bringing dialer at all, camera only sends broadcast at long press, etc.), but by default it will not awake device, will have to play if I can awake from broadcastReceiver, if yes - it means we can configure "n" (home) button to do whatever we want.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, I don't use coolreader, but the extra home button and portrait/landscape button works very well.
Great job!
For me, the only thing missing is adding 2-3 apps on the list, and I'll be quite happy.
I don't use the N button much, but it could become a neat menu or back button.

spook

Aug 21, 2006
Great App

Thanks for spending time making this app for us Nook Touch users.

I think this app is definitely a candidate for partial refresh. Having the full screen refreshed to draw the small dialog seems to be overkill. Not sure if that's under your control or not...

I definitely have an interest in remapping the N button to home. Perhaps long press launches the original menu?

unattached

Jul 23, 2009
Do you mean just to launch let's say CoolReader instead of NookReader by the press of "Reading now" button?

thats what i meant! launching just one app automatically, let's say cool reader.. (maybe launching the home app automatically would also be possible? then we would have all the standard buttons in the task bar!)

cheers

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, I've noticed that not all apps are turnable (haven't tried all yet, but I can spend like 30 minutes trying them all).
BUt great job nonesoever.

cymoze

May 25, 2011
Having trouble

Would anyone know how I clear the default selection for the Reading Now icon in the status bar? The NookBB menu now will not come up anymore when I press the Reading Now icon.

It was working out great for me until this:

1) When I first installed NookBB (v1) and then pressed the Reading Now button, it would pull up a dialogue box asking which action I'd like to set as the default - either the Nook BB menu or the default Reading Now application (which would be the B&N reader app).

2) I selected as the default the Reading Now application (B&N reader). Then I decided I wanted to use the Nook BB as the default but couldn't figure out how to do it. The Manage applications for NookBB won't let me clear default there as it is greyed out.

3) I tried uninstalling, and installing v2. It loads the app icon to my app drawer, but the only way to invoke the Nook BB menu is to press this icon. Pressing the Reading Now button takes me to the B&N reader.

Last edited:

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
I have just found a very interesting app while searching something on github
(I posted it here mainly because I didn't want to start a new thread)

Relaunch (coded by yiselieren) is a filemanager / launcher / task manager for Nook Simple Touch. and it has very interesting features.

One of them is that when you click on the Home, library, shop or search button in the menu of the n button, you can choose to start ReLaunch instead of the default app.

I think it would be great if you could add something (more or less) similar to that in your app.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
For clearing uninstall and reinstall should work. You can try installing any epub reader (such as coolreader) and it should bring selection popup back to choose default one.

Anyway I've done patching services.jar so it will load Nookbb by pressing that button with option to go directly to reading now not relying on epub files and *only* by pressing that button.

Also for the nook menu (n button) I done remapping (easy one) and almost done custom small app so n button will act as stock Android home one, e.g. it will go home with short press and bring recent apps (using softkeys now) on long press. Still have to tinker device wake if it's locked instead of going to home behind screensaver.

I plan to post it both tonight or tomorrow.

Then I can spend time adding customizations and partial refresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium

Reactions: cymoze

cymoze

May 25, 2011
For clearing uninstall and reinstall should work. You can try installing any epub reader (such as coolreader) and it should bring selection popup back to choose default one.

Thank you, uninstall didn't fix it but installing cool reader did.

Can't wait for the new fixes, very impressive already.

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
I'm loving this app and very excited to see a Touch specific app. If you further tweak the Book Button Menu I'd like the ability to subsituite the E-reader software of my choice instead of Coolreader. I'm currently using Mantano Reader and enjoying the software.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
I'm loving this app and very excited to see a Touch specific app. If you further tweak the Book Button Menu I'd like the ability to subsituite the E-reader software of my choice instead of Coolreader. I'm currently using Mantano Reader and enjoying the software.
I'm currently finishing n button mod to act as stock android home (short click - goto home, long click recent apps list with all buttons (back, home, menu, search, orientation). Almost done - testing and trying to apply partial refresh.
Next step - I'll publish patched services.jar so BookButton will be launched only by this book button not relying on epub files.
Next will be settings for the BookButton to configure all aspects of the menu, e.g. appearance of Home, Orientation as well as custom shortcuts.

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
thanks, I realy like your application. Very usefull but I don't use "Cool reader". I use "read it later" and "ezPdf" for reading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heya all.

Changelog:
    1.1 - Added orientation switch and propagation (open "Reading Now") to Nook reader
    1.0 - Initial release with home and CoolReader option.

Working on:
    Investigating the way to distinguish if opening reading now book and not other epubs in order not to show menu on any library book click.

History/Idea:
    Just got nook last Sunday as gift and immediately noticed after root that back/menu buttons in status bar is great, but would be even better to use book button as home OR as menu, was messing with framework, etc. to no avail, but finally got a better and simpler solution, but with cons.

After installing CoolReader I noticed that "reading now" button will trigger android select app menu with Nook Reader and CoolReader, so it is broadcast event, opening with CoolReader shows it is getting started epub.

So, here it is. Simple app, registers as one of the epub readers, by having last read in native nook reader any epub - and by pressing "reading now" button it will trigger app select dialog with my app in list (you can check to always open epubs with it).

It will show styled popup menu (see screenshot) containing only Home (will open default one or list of available homes if none selected as default), orientation switch, CoolReader shortcut (hardcoded now) and Nook Reader (this one will open remembered "Reading Now" book)

Cons:
    1. Will be triggered on any broadcast event to open epub. (I don't care as I read in fb2)
    2. If nothing in "reading now" it will not be triggered as well if "reading now" is not epub
    3. hardcoded shortcuts for now

2. Add ability to propagate event data, e.g. if "reading now" sending "warandpeace.epub" to this app - send it to launching app if configured. This will allow to register this app to open epub and then open configured reader with epub data - done, besides configuration
    4. Organize shortcuts as tree
    5. Add recent apps submenu
    I'm currently finishing n button mod to act as stock android home (short click - goto home, long click recent apps list with all buttons (back, home, menu, search, orientation). Almost done - testing and trying to apply partial refresh.
    Next step - I'll publish patched services.jar so BookButton will be launched only by this book button not relying on epub files.
    Next will be settings for the BookButton to configure all aspects of the menu, e.g. appearance of Home, Orientation as well as custom shortcuts.

Anyway I've done patching services.jar so it will load Nookbb by pressing that button with option to go directly to reading now not relying on epub files and *only* by pressing that button.

Also for the nook menu (n button) I done remapping (easy one) and almost done custom small app so n button will act as stock Android home one, e.g. it will go home with short press and bring recent apps (using softkeys now) on long press. Still have to tinker device wake if it's locked instead of going to home behind screensaver.

I plan to post it both tonight or tomorrow.

Then I can spend time adding customizations and partial refresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using xda premium
    Thanks!

This is great! Thanks!