[SOLVED] I need everyones help! Easy Solution to get the USA WIFI Upgrade!

Search This thread

Stingerrray

Apr 25, 2010
After screwing around for hours I have been able to get the Official dell upgrade (workaround). I realize that some want to upgrade in specific ways. But for those of us that are interested in just getting a factory upgrade here is what I have found. I believe it is a simple case of connecting the dots. All I needed was someone to provide the USA upgrade path Thanks (TheManii) For your wisdom.
So here is what worked for me. Make sure you use NVFLASH and downgrade to Froyo 2.2.2 USA WIFI.

Then with your Streak 7 connected to the internet enter the following URL in your android web browser.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GLUNB1A334430&servicetag=PPPPPPP

Your service tag will remain as it was before the upgrade as TheManii Stated. All we needed was the correct upgrade path. Remember this has only been tested on a tablet that has been downgraded with the Froyo USA wifi Rom provided on these forums.

This will start your official update via the download page. When it is finished just click on the downloaded file and this will allow you to get the Honeycomb 3.2 Goodness youve been waiting for simply and reliably!
Enjoy,
Stingerrray

Last edited:
Reactions: dblml320

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Firstly you dont need your service tag, it only depends on your installed rom.

Secondly all it does is lead your to the download page to the pkgs,
all known available pkgs are available here or on the update guide I linked to.

If you dont get a notification you wouldnt be able to update anyway, as it will check before install if you're compatable.

The currently available upgrade paths are

EU Wifi: 340/344 -> 507
EU 3g: 340/344 -> 507
US wifi: 340/344 -> 506

EU wifi submodel: 1A3
EU 3g submodel: 1A2
US wifi submodel: 1A3

The device string is constructed as:
GxxxByyyzzzaa-bbb

xxxx is always LUN as this is it's codename (The dell codename for the s7 was "looking glass", the qisda codename was "luna")
yyy is the submodel number listed above
zzz is the current rom version
aa is the region.

bbb is not valid on the S7, but on the S5 and venue this is your modem region (either US, EU, or AWS)

So the upgrade paths are:

EU Wifi:
GLUNB1A334000 -> GLUNB1A350700
GLUNB1A334400 -> GLUNB1A350700

EU 3g:
GLUNB1A234000 -> GLUNB1A250700
GLUNB1A234400 -> GLUNB1A250700

US Wifi:
GLUNB1A334030 -> GLUNB1A350630
GLUNB1A334430 -> GLUNB1A350630

For the moment the US roms 325, 340 are not canidates to update, so they're either stuck on 2.2 or have to manually update.
Until the tmo update actually comes out I'm going under the assumption that it's not currently planned to come out.

(There is also the US 4G 322/333 -> 338, but it's very old)

This covers every publically available roms. Roms that are not publicly available will never recieve update notifications.

This system is identical to the one used on the Streak 5, 10 and venue

all the links do is link to the update pkgs and the update page. If you cant acces the update page to download them you wont be able to install them anyway.

Last edited:

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
your rom must EXACTLY match one of the above ones
AND your device must not have clockwork
AND must not have a custom rom installed

for it to update sucessfully though "check for updates"

If "check for updates" doesnt give an update, you will get a fota mismatch

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

Also, all known pkgs are already listed on Dell Streak 7- xda wiki

The only things missing are older rom versions. Many of which were recently reported during the HC rollout

Stingerrray

Apr 25, 2010
OK if it is too simple it usually does not work. Ill keep rooting around. I like to try and find an easy upgrade path for the masses.

Thanks,

Stingerrray

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
The right was is to flash the matching recovery and use the pkg, assuming you're not on honeystreak.

Tegra2 device users are far too reliant on nvflash to do the work for them.

Stingerrray

Apr 25, 2010
In my case it is not being reliant. But just trying to find the path of least resistance. Thanks for the info you did indeed allow me to get the USA upgrade. All i thought I needed was the OEM VERSION Numbers that were being rolled out. So I will change this to a simple guide.

Thanks,
Stingerrray

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Essentially any user who decides to root their (android) device and/or install a custom rom/modify the system paritition should have fastboot properly installed and usable for their device.

This is rarely the case as I've seen for Streak 5 and 7 users. If that were the case updating to the correct rom even if yours isnt a valid upgrade path is only 4 steps:

1) Download the recovery and pkg
2) copy the pkg to the 'sdcard'
3) flash the recovery
4) do a 'install from pkg'

Excluding the downloading step, this is nominally 3 minutes of work.

If you dont modify your device at all this is essentially 1 step as "check for updates" does all this for you

kaoken

Jan 30, 2011
So can I use that link to install it on my streak with 338 that is wifi only?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I believe 338 can update to to 506 by merely copying the update.pkg to it's 'sdcard' and flashing. Assuming you havnt modified your device

Stingerrray

Apr 25, 2010
Yes as you stated that will work nicely. But if you have 338 all you need to do as an alternative method is paste the URL (from the main topic post) into the Froyo 2.2.2 web browser and that will start the official update download as well.

Thanks again TheManii for helping us with this extra easy solution!

Stingerrray

Nyflyboi

Mar 25, 2011
After screwing around for hours I have been able to get the Official dell upgrade (workaround). I realize that some want to upgrade in specific ways. But for those of us that are interested in just getting a factory upgrade here is what I have found. I believe it is a simple case of connecting the dots. All I needed was someone to provide the USA upgrade path Thanks (TheManii) For your wisdom.
So here is what worked for me. Make sure you use NVFLASH and downgrade to Froyo 2.2.2 USA WIFI.

Then with your Streak 7 connected to the internet enter the following URL in your android web browser.

Your service tag will remain as it was before the upgrade as TheManii Stated. All we needed was the correct upgrade path. Remember this has only been tested on a tablet that has been downgraded with the Froyo USA wifi Rom provided on these forums.

This will start your official update via the download page. When it is finished just click on the downloaded file and this will allow you to get the Honeycomb 3.2 Goodness youve been waiting for simply and reliably!
Enjoy,
Stingerrray
Nope doesnt work on my 4g streak. Anyway funny story i jus had a confress call with tmobile and dell and according to the dell repthe 4g tmobile model will recieve the android hc update on friday. So idk how true this is. But hey i can dream right i mean lets see what happens im mean dell did release the 3g update in the uk so y not the 4g us version right. Well all i can do is wait, im not holding my breath tho.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
It wont work on the US 4G model because it's a different region, that link is only valid for US wifi models

dblml320

May 12, 2007
Raleigh
Thank-you Stingerray! After playing with all the other techniques here to get the US Wifi version on my device, your process WORKED! Smoothly I might add!

I was worried as my device ID is: GLUNB1A133830 and none of the update packages seemed to apply to a 1A1 device .. but I tried it anyway, and now I have Honeycomb up and running on my streak 7!

So Again, THANK-YOU!

vtinmanv

Oct 2, 2011
Thank-you Stingerray! After playing with all the other techniques here to get the US Wifi version on my device, your process WORKED! Smoothly I might add!

I was worried as my device ID is: GLUNB1A133830 and none of the update packages seemed to apply to a 1A1 device .. but I tried it anyway, and now I have Honeycomb up and running on my streak 7!

So Again, THANK-YOU!

I have a GLUNB1A133830 as well. Why no love for 338's, Dell? I'll try the link if there's no upgrade by Friday night.

Berryblue

Jul 23, 2011
Update done on 338

I have a GLUNB1A133830 as well. Why no love for 338's, Dell? I'll try the link if there's no upgrade by Friday night.

I believe 338 can update to to 506 by merely copying the update.pkg to it's 'sdcard' and flashing. Assuming you havnt modified your device

I had the 338 build and all I had to do was type in the following link and it updated without any issue. Note that I left off my Service Tag for the update and I'm working fine...

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GLUNB1A334430

dpoindexter

Nov 29, 2010

That's not exactly true, my build was 1A13 something, checked for the update when I got home from work last night and had no update available. Clicked the link you had posted to the US wifi pkg, downloaded and installed perfectly, no clockwork just the standard update.

Reactions: Berryblue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Enjoy,
    Stingerrray

That's not exactly true, my build was 1A13 something, checked for the update when I got home from work last night and had no update available. Clicked the link you had posted to the US wifi pkg, downloaded and installed perfectly, no clockwork just the standard update.
    Still nothing for my GLUNB1A133830 as of 7:20am mdt.

I would still like to know why this wifi model didn't get the upgrade yet, but i'm sure that will be one of those mystery's never explained.

Any one with my number get it @ a retail store?
    I got mine at Staples. I'm not seeing an update when I check for it.

With the issues I'm reading about, not sure I want one.
    Go back to Stock then Update

Okay, after reading this thread, I'm more confused than before I started. I was thinking about installing HC, replacing Honeystreak. I THOUGHT all I had to do was reinstall the old stuff (2.2 or whatever) and then install HC using the "standard" install method. I'm no Android expert but I figured if I (finally) found out how to install Honeystreak, I should be able to figure out how to install HC. Are you guys saying it can't be done or if so, what are the EXACT steps that need to be done, for example, how to remove CWM or if you even need to unstall CWM.

BTW, I have the wifi model from Staples - Great deal at the time for only $200.

BTW2, I'm beginning to think about just staying with Honeystreak since Netflix doesn't work on our other 7 with HC.

Simple answer. Go back to the original ROM that your streak came with. Once you don't that then all you have to do is navigate to the link for the update if you don't get the automatic update. It will NEVER update from Honeystreak. Hope that clarified what you were wondering. :)