[SOLVED] I need everyones help! Easy Solution to get the USA WIFI Upgrade!

Search This thread

thcrw739

Jul 30, 2011
SLC
I have the 1A1338x as well, and no update as of yet, but i guess im going to hang, i just want to see if i do get the ota notification & when.

I don't get why the delay on this number but oh well.
this was bought at staples when they had that $100 off tablet coupon a wile back, Completely stock besides apps I have downloaded.

See ya on the honeyside eventually.

Last edited:

nagahtom

Jun 15, 2010
Clockwork Mod

your rom must EXACTLY match one of the above ones
AND your device must not have clockwork
AND must not have a custom rom installed

for it to update sucessfully though "check for updates"

If "check for updates" doesnt give an update, you will get a fota mismatch

QUESTION: I'm running the Stock Froyo 2.2.2 ROM, rooted, and ClockworkMod.

oemversion: GLUNB1A133830

Do I need to remove ClockworkMod in order for the update to work, and if so, do you or anyone else out there know how to remove it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
That's not exactly true, my build was 1A13 something, checked for the update when I got home from work last night and had no update available. Clicked the link you had posted to the US wifi pkg, downloaded and installed perfectly, no clockwork just the standard update.

That's exactly what i mean, it wont work though "check for updates" but as the US wifi pkg is out you can install it manually.

Navigating to the correct update page still counts as a manual install. If they have the stock recovery installed it's as simple as downloading the pkg and running it

Anyone on 325 or 338 can just manually install it.

Do I need to remove ClockworkMod in order for the update to work, and if so, do you or anyone else out there know how to remove it?

If you have CWM installed just use the update i posted in my guide

Berryblue

Jul 23, 2011

If you have the Wifi version then all you would need is go the the below link and install. You have the same exact build I have and it wasn't an issue.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GLUNB1A334430

nagahtom

Jun 15, 2010
Update Question(s)

Thanks Guys for your quick response.

1) Is there a way to root this ROM Update?

2) Can we use a nand backup to restore in case something blows up?

Again, thanks guys for all the work you've put into this. We all appreciate it.

dpoindexter

Nov 29, 2010
That's exactly what i mean, it wont work though "check for updates" but as the US wifi pkg is out you can install it manually.

Navigating to the correct update page still counts as a manual install. If they have the stock recovery installed it's as simple as downloading the pkg and running it

Anyone on 325 or 338 can just manually install it.

If you have CWM installed just use the update i posted in my guide

I apologize, I misunderstood what you were saying :)

brian34

Mar 3, 2009
wifi issues and rebooting

I have the GLUNB1A133830 also. I followed the mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GLUNB1A334430 link and the update went through fine. I then did a factory wipe. But Houston, we have a problem...It will connect to wifi, grab an IP, but when trying to bring up a web site it hangs and then reboots. I am in the process of a second factory reset. Anyone else seeing this issue? I wonder if using a different rom update it screwed something up.

thcrw739

Jul 30, 2011
SLC
Still nothing for my GLUNB1A133830 as of 7:20am mdt.

I would still like to know why this wifi model didn't get the upgrade yet, but i'm sure that will be one of those mystery's never explained.

Any one with my number get it @ a retail store?

Last edited:

nagahtom

Jun 15, 2010

I would still like to know why this wifi model didn't get the upgrade yet, but i'm sure that will be one of those mystery's never explained.

I got mine at Staples. I'm not seeing an update when I check for it.

With the issues I'm reading about, not sure I want one.

Reactions: thcrw739

twillet50

Aug 6, 2011
I was under the impression that the B1A1 was the 4G model, not the wi-fi model.

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA App

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Prior to 340, the wifi model used 1A1. 340 and onwards wifi models use 1A3

WookieFan

Nov 21, 2010
NYC area
The right was is to flash the matching recovery and use the pkg, assuming you're not on honeystreak.

Tegra2 device users are far too reliant on nvflash to do the work for them.

I think that's good advice, provided you're not rooted with CWM. Unfortunately, I was and the update.pkg would not work (of course, because CWM took its place).

If you're rooted, you should do a full Dell wipe/restore, which I believe unroots and clears CWM. I haven't tested this yet though.

In frustration last night I flashed Honeystreak to my T-Mo DS7, after failing to flash the new (HC) US WiFi .pkg - wish I was thinking more clearly then.

So, my plan is to:

[*] nvflash the 2.2.2 ROM floating on this forum. (hoping that I don't get the read-only result)

[*] If that rom is rooted, I'll flash CWM. If not, I'll root first.

[*] I'll flash the nandroid recovery I made before all this business happened and back up a few odds and ends I missed.

[*] Flash the stock recovery through security settings

[*] Flash the US WiFi .pkg as update.pkg

And pray. I like Honeystreak so far, but the Asus branding throughout the ROM annoys me, and I do not mind Dell Stage as much as other here do. Hopefully the 4G driver will continue to work, but I do not use the 4G anyway (I bought my DS7 before the WiFi-only model was available).

And I agree that nvflash may be overused, but I am not a fan of CLI (adb, etc.) - too easy to make one little mistake.

Last edited:

CheapGuy

Sep 5, 2011
Okay, after reading this thread, I'm more confused than before I started. I was thinking about installing HC, replacing Honeystreak. I THOUGHT all I had to do was reinstall the old stuff (2.2 or whatever) and then install HC using the "standard" install method. I'm no Android expert but I figured if I (finally) found out how to install Honeystreak, I should be able to figure out how to install HC. Are you guys saying it can't be done or if so, what are the EXACT steps that need to be done, for example, how to remove CWM or if you even need to unstall CWM.

BTW, I have the wifi model from Staples - Great deal at the time for only $200.

BTW2, I'm beginning to think about just staying with Honeystreak since Netflix doesn't work on our other 7 with HC.

Berryblue

Jul 23, 2011
Go back to Stock then Update

Okay, after reading this thread, I'm more confused than before I started. I was thinking about installing HC, replacing Honeystreak. I THOUGHT all I had to do was reinstall the old stuff (2.2 or whatever) and then install HC using the "standard" install method. I'm no Android expert but I figured if I (finally) found out how to install Honeystreak, I should be able to figure out how to install HC. Are you guys saying it can't be done or if so, what are the EXACT steps that need to be done, for example, how to remove CWM or if you even need to unstall CWM.

BTW2, I'm beginning to think about just staying with Honeystreak since Netflix doesn't work on our other 7 with HC.

Simple answer. Go back to the original ROM that your streak came with. Once you don't that then all you have to do is navigate to the link for the update if you don't get the automatic update. It will NEVER update from Honeystreak. Hope that clarified what you were wondering. :)

Reactions: CheapGuy

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Simple answer. Go back to the original ROM that your streak came with. Once you don't that then all you have to do is navigate to the link for the update if you don't get the automatic update. It will NEVER update from Honeystreak. Hope that clarified what you were wondering. :)

Ditto on that advice. I did the same thing. Nvflash for the initial reinstall, using the .img files here from another thread. Then restore the original restore.img file and you're set. If you read all the way through the thread you'll find reference to skipping an image file to keep your internal memory. Bad idea. I tried that. Problem is I had 1.5G of app2sd memory taken up and now unusable since Honeycomb doesn't do app2sd. Then there was all sorts of other junk left behind in the memory too. Ultimately I flashed everything again, did the basic froyo setup, copied the update back to my steak and did the update to Honeycomb over again.

So my advice is what the previous poster listed: restore to froyo 2.2.2 based on that other thread, download the update pkg file, move to honeycomb with a fresh start.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

CheapGuy

Sep 5, 2011
Thanks guys. One last stupid question...do I need to do anything about CWM or will that not be an issue if I go back to the original ROM?

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Thanks guys. One last stupid question...do I need to do anything about CWM or will that not be an issue if I go back to the original ROM?

Nothing at all. Everything is done on the PC side. You'll need to install the drivers but the thread has instructions. Then it's pretty much cookbook follow the directions simple.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

nagahtom

Jun 15, 2010
To Upgrade or not:

So far, I've seen two issues that will keep me from upgrading to HC.

1) Netflix doesn't work. There is a fix for other platforms. Has anyone gotten Netflix to work?

2) USB - Mass storage connectivity doesn't work. Has anyone gotten this to work?
Edit [Doesn't look like it will be fixed.]

3) Can we still use adb to execute push/pull and shell commands on the tablet from the PC?

If I'm wrong, someone please let me know, as I'd love to run HC on my Streak.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After screwing around for hours I have been able to get the Official dell upgrade (workaround). I realize that some want to upgrade in specific ways. But for those of us that are interested in just getting a factory upgrade here is what I have found. I believe it is a simple case of connecting the dots. All I needed was someone to provide the USA upgrade path Thanks (TheManii) For your wisdom.
    So here is what worked for me. Make sure you use NVFLASH and downgrade to Froyo 2.2.2 USA WIFI.

Then with your Streak 7 connected to the internet enter the following URL in your android web browser.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GLUNB1A334430&servicetag=PPPPPPP

Your service tag will remain as it was before the upgrade as TheManii Stated. All we needed was the correct upgrade path. Remember this has only been tested on a tablet that has been downgraded with the Froyo USA wifi Rom provided on these forums.

This will start your official update via the download page. When it is finished just click on the downloaded file and this will allow you to get the Honeycomb 3.2 Goodness youve been waiting for simply and reliably!
    Enjoy,
    Stingerrray

That's not exactly true, my build was 1A13 something, checked for the update when I got home from work last night and had no update available. Clicked the link you had posted to the US wifi pkg, downloaded and installed perfectly, no clockwork just the standard update.

I got mine at Staples. I'm not seeing an update when I check for it.

With the issues I'm reading about, not sure I want one.
    Go back to Stock then Update