[webtop] webtop2sd discussion (currently version 2.0.1)

Search This thread

Sogarth

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2006
Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Photon-specific issues. Atrix (and general) webtop2sd issues should be discussed in this thread instead. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:

• If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
    • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
  • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
  • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
    • su
    • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
    • export DISPLAY=:0
    • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
    I'll need whatever output shows up.

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Tested this prior to release and can say this is what Moto should have thought of for webtop devices. Slower SD cards do cause noticable lag ofcourse so you want to have a class10. Once support for the internal memory is implimented it will eliminate the storage fragmentation and make this a "Crazy not to do this" mod.

Thanks

Sogarth

Jan 14, 2006
Tested this prior to release and can say this is what Moto should have thought of for webtop devices. Slower SD cards do cause noticable lag ofcourse so you want to have a class10. Once support for the internal memory is implimented it will eliminate the storage fragmentation and make this a "Crazy not to do this" mod.

Support for internal memory, though, will only be for /data (since attempting to create one in /mnt/sdcard causes serious issues), so unless the Photon has a significantly larger /data than the Atrix does, that may not make a significant difference. :(

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Support for internal memory, though, will only be for /data (since attempting to create one in /mnt/sdcard causes serious issues), so unless the Photon has a significantly larger /data than the Atrix does, that may not make a significant difference. :(

I tried a /home and /usr move to /mnt/sdcard with very inconsistant results. The end result was always an rsd flash to get running again so I moved on to other things. I was hoping you had some tricks up your sleeve. Even with webtop2sd pretty much being a /sd-ext mount, this is still very usable. Considering the lack of space on /data I'm not sure if it's worth trying to bring that feature back unless /home can be move elsewhere.

I have had a couple more issues during the install and will try to duplicate and get you the logs.

Last edited:

Cryp7os

Feb 12, 2011
Having just a tad bit of trouble with apt-get and the webtop-configurator... Are the repos down for the photon??

Code:
adas@localhost:/$ python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./webtop-configurator.py", line 455, in <module>
  File "./webtop-configurator.py", line 382, in main
  File "./webtop-configurator.py", line 153, in install
SystemError: W:Failed to fetch [url]http://ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com/mirror/ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/m/mktemp/mktemp_1.5-9_armel.deb[/url]  Could not resolve 'ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com'
, W:Failed to fetch [url]http://ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com/mirror/ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/universe/d/debsums/debsums_2.0.40_all.deb[/url]  Could not resolve 'ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com'
, E:Aborting install.

If they are, does anyone have a cat output of the sources.list for the Atrix, maybe we could use that?

Edit: oh wait... only the bionic and photon are jaunty builds aren't they?

Last edited:

Sogarth

Jan 14, 2006
Having just a tad bit of trouble with apt-get and the webtop-configurator... Are the repos down for the photon??

Code:
Building dependency tree
SystemError: W:Failed to fetch [url]http://ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com/mirror/ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/main/m/mktemp/mktemp_1.5-9_armel.deb[/url]  Could not resolve 'ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com'
, W:Failed to fetch [url]http://ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com/mirror/ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/pool/universe/d/debsums/debsums_2.0.40_all.deb[/url]  Could not resolve 'ca25-webtop-mirror.am.mot.com'

If they are, does anyone have a cat output of the sources.list for the Atrix, maybe we could use that?

Fixing this right now. They changed the internal Motorola servers between the Atrix and Proton (which are both Jaunty - the Droid Bionic is Maverick). You should see a 2.0.1 shortly which will have a fixed webtop-configurator in it (for what little use it is ;p).

Reactions: aikata

Sogarth

Jan 14, 2006
Fixing this right now. They changed the internal Motorola servers between the Atrix and Proton (which are both Jaunty - the Droid Bionic is Maverick). You should see a 2.0.1 shortly which will have a fixed webtop-configurator in it (for what little use it is ;p).

• 2.0.1 (October 9, 2011):
    • Tweak webtop-configurator for the Photon's sources.list.

Reactions: Lokifish Marz

Sansedor007

Jan 5, 2010
Chita
www.youtube.com
Hi, can simply delete the Webtop from your phone and free up space?
Just now I keep Atrix and the photon, the Atrix partition is 4GB, and 8GB for a photon. Not too much difference between the two phones is almost the same?

bigj225

Jun 18, 2008
Updated my system to webtop2sd. Webtop works but only after I restart the phone. If I try to start it any other time the screen is just black. Running Loki webtop +

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: Please keep this thread restricted to Photon-specific issues. Atrix (and general) webtop2sd issues should be discussed in this thread instead. Threads for other devices are referenced at the top of the main webtop2sd thread.

Discuss webtop2sd here (the other thread will be kept clean for announcements, FAQs, etc.).

Before you report an issue:

Make sure it's not on the Known Issues list first!.

Basic debugging, since these are going to be questions I ask anyways:

• If you hit problems with the Android webtop2sd application, you'll need to tell me the error, and give me the last few lines of adb logcat. Run this adb command, which will filter out most of the unimportant lines:
      • adb logcat ActivityManager:i AndroidRuntime:i webtop2sd:i *:s
    • Are you actually booting from your SD card? You can find this out by checking the Diagnostics tab in webtop2sd, under "Currently mounted webtops". If mmcblk1p12 isn't listed, you're not booted from your SD card. If this is the case, report what ROM you're running from.
    • Is the webtop configurator application showing, but not running successfully? If so, plug your device into your dock and run a terminal (either locally or adbWireless + adb shell) and run the following:
      • su
      • /usr/bin/sudo -H -u adas bash
      • export DISPLAY=:0
      • python /usr/local/bin/webtop-configurator.pyc
      I'll need whatever output shows up.

Code:
    Building dependency tree

• 2.0.1 (October 9, 2011):
      • Tweak webtop-configurator for the Photon's sources.list.