FORUMS

Emulating Other OS's on the TouchPad via qEMU

381 posts
Thanks Meter: 66

By NikolaiT, Senior Member on 8th October 2011, 09:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ALL CREDIT GOES TO GRAZZT519, HE CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4289767
UPDATE 10/10: .IPK of qEMU now on Grazzt's website.

WE WILL NOT SUPPLY YOU WITH .IMGs of OPERATING SYSTEMS, IT WOULD BE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT AS WELL AS XDA'S RULES!

Grazzt also has dosbox and GemRB for the touchpad on his website: http://touchpad.grazzt.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TESTED/WORKING OS's:

Windows 95: Working (tested by grazzt) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJ2mSToQS0)
Windows 98 SE: Working (tested by grazzt) (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfwsIWv1eW0)
FreeDOS: working (tested by grazzt)
Windows XP: Not working (tested by grazzt)
Windows NT: Not working (tested by me, it bluescreens and then qEMU crashes)
Windows ME: Working (tested by me)
Windows 3.1: Partially working (tested by me, needs to type "WIN" via a keyboard to launch GUI)
IBM OS/2: Partially working (Boots up, than spits out C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBEUI.OS2 on line 108 of CONFIG.SYS was not installed, Line 108 is ignored. Press Enter to Continue...) It may potentially boot up if we had a virtual keyboard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ:

Q: Did you make this?
A: No! It was made by a user known as Grazzt (he can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4289767)

Q: Where are the download links?!
A: If you're talking about a qEMU .IPK, it can be found here: http://touchpad.grazzt.com/qemu/ but if you're talking about operating systems,
you must find them by your own means, I would be violating copyright and XDA's rules if I posted them here. Grazzt won't supply you with these, either, so don't bother him or me about .IMGs.

Q: How do I use this?!
A: If you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be using this, but if you would really like to know: Place your hdd.img in /media/internal/qemu and open qEMU, it should attempt to boot the OS within the .img

Q: Does this run smoothly?
A: For me it does, but on my TouchPad, I have a ton patches to lighten up WebOS, as well as UberKernel, set at 1.5GHz, with the performance governor . It will probably not run as smoothly on a stock TouchPad, but I suggest giving it a try.

Q: Where's my keyboard?!?!
A: A virtual keyboard has not been implemented (yet?).

Q: Does this overtake WebOS?
A: No, it runs in a card, as an application.

Q: WTF is wrong with the mouse?!?!
A: Nothing, the mouse is simply set to relative instead of absolute.

Q: Does sound work?
A: Yes, however, on certain OS's you may have to repeatedly increase and decrease the volume (with the TouchPad's volume rocker) to get it to properly intialize.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NikolaiT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NikolaiT Ad-Free
8th October 2011, 11:05 PM |#2  
Flag Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 236

More
qEMU is what used to run win95/98, it is real, but such a hassle to run an outdated OS...not to mention the mouse calibration is wayy off, and none of the internal hardware works (no sound, wifi, opengl etc.)

also, the entire package has to be compiled, it isnt ready to use just by dl'ing it and providing a ripped OS...

its a neat little PoC, but totally not worth it considering ARM Win8 dev is dropping soonishly (hopefully :P)
9th October 2011, 04:47 AM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 628

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus_n313

qEMU is what used to run win95/98, it is real, but such a hassle to run an outdated OS...not to mention the mouse calibration is wayy off, and none of the internal hardware works (no sound, wifi, opengl etc.)

also, the entire package has to be compiled, it isnt ready to use just by dl'ing it and providing a ripped OS...

its a neat little PoC, but totally not worth it considering ARM Win8 dev is dropping soonishly (hopefully :P)

speak for yourself.
I'm a tinkerer.
I like diy projects
I do not like being hand-fed.

IT is worth it for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to scrizz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scrizz Ad-Free
9th October 2011, 10:56 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Im the "author" (well,ok, compiler) of the projects, and yeah, qemu is sort of lame for the enduser. Just wanted to see if it works and it does. Sound does work, and if I looked hard enough could probably change the mouse settings to be absolute instead of relative. Sad part is because Ive shut down win98 too many times ungracefully, I have registry errors, and too lazy to make a clean hdd image. lol

Cant really distribute it along with hdd imags of windows, Im sure you know why. I believe the freedos images from qemu.org work fine.

Dosemu has also seriously ticked me off, some games see mouse clicks, others dont, its frustrating. If you have a game that sees mouse clicks, I think it runs quite well.

Gemrb runs well, dont know what else can be said about it. Go for the eyes BOO!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grazzt519 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift grazzt519 Ad-Free
9th October 2011, 05:24 PM |#5  
Flag Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 236

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grazzt519

Im the "author" (well,ok, compiler) of the projects, and yeah, qemu is sort of lame for the enduser. Just wanted to see if it works and it does. Sound does work, and if I looked hard enough could probably change the mouse settings to be absolute instead of relative. Sad part is because Ive shut down win98 too many times ungracefully, I have registry errors, and too lazy to make a clean hdd image. lol

Cant really distribute it along with hdd imags of windows, Im sure you know why. I believe the freedos images from qemu.org work fine.

Dosemu has also seriously ticked me off, some games see mouse clicks, others dont, its frustrating. If you have a game that sees mouse clicks, I think it runs quite well.

WELCOME GRAZZT!

also, i wasnt bashing the project, its indeed clever, and ive see similar projects done befofe, but considering how low end some of the touchpad users here are (hopefully that doesnt last long!) its not novel for regular users.

having said that, it looks like the potential for winxp IS there, but we would have to resort to a minimalized "usb-stick" version with the media touch drivers slipstreamed (which really isnt a bad thing :P)

and scrizz, im the exact same as you , i dont buy, i diy! that post was more of an initial overview for ppl who just scrub through these posts and ask for links to complete projects and eta's :P but since the dev is here, im sure the project can advance by leaps and bounds with our help and testing
10th October 2011, 03:12 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 66

More
I cleaned up the original post a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to NikolaiT For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NikolaiT Ad-Free
Vistaus
11th October 2011, 07:18 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
"WE WILL NOT SUPPLY YOU WITH .IMGs of OPERATING SYSTEMS, IT WOULD BE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT AS WELL AS XDA'S RULES!"

Not fully true. You can post .img-files of Haiku and various Linux-distro's.
13th October 2011, 03:31 AM |#8  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 497

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus

"WE WILL NOT SUPPLY YOU WITH .IMGs of OPERATING SYSTEMS, IT WOULD BE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT AS WELL AS XDA'S RULES!"

Not fully true. You can post .img-files of Haiku and various Linux-distro's.

but linux distros probably can be run chroot'd (better performance than qemu emulation)
11th December 2011, 07:11 PM |#9  
Flag Santo Domingo
Thanks Meter: 159

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by grazzt519

Hey nice to meet you. You can retake my project, I don't have a Pre anymore also you can use my IMG's if you want, I like people like you . Email me and let's talk.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)