[Q] N64oid

Search This thread

Sir a teema

Jan 20, 2011
Since updating to CyanogenMod 7.1, N64oid will not boot up games. Is anyone else that updated also having this problem?

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
It doesnt boot games since the update to the kernel a couple months ago. It will only run on n64oid versions that are lower than 2.0, which sucks because you can only play mario 64 without lag

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sir a teema

swaaye

Mar 16, 2011
The Nook Color isn't really fast enough to deal with N64 emulation anyway. Most games run way too slowly. And there's also the issue of N64 emulation being really rough in general due to a lack of real progress in years.

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
...What are you talking about? Last I heard there were only a couple of games with major issues left in N64 Emulation on the pc. Most games I've tried on the Nook color ran very well, not 100% all the time, but completely playable (then again, why anyone would want to play through Ocarina of Time on the Nook Color is beyond me.)

koopakid08

Jun 24, 2011
...What are you talking about? Last I heard there were only a couple of games with major issues left in N64 Emulation on the pc. Most games I've tried on the Nook color ran very well, not 100% all the time, but completely playable (then again, why anyone would want to play through Ocarina of Time on the Nook Color is beyond me.)

^^^^
This, although I for one would love to play some OOT on my Nook.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa
^^^^
This, although I for one would love to play some OOT on my Nook.

---------------------------------

Me too I would play the Ocarina out of OOT, specially with my ps3 controller paired through bluetooth. Portable Zelda FTW!! (I don't have NDS)

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
Well for me that's where the problem comes in, there are very few places I go, where I can put my nook color up on a stand and pull out a controller.

That said, I have nothing against the software, as I could easily see myself getting a better tablet in the future with HDMI out and then sitting down at a family get together with a bunch of controllers.

I'll have to charge my nook back up sometime and run some games. I remember playing Starfox 64 at 100% when I was playing with it a few months ago.

swaaye

Mar 16, 2011

Well I'm guessing you haven't tried very many games. There are many with problems even on PC, necessitating using multiple emulators and plugins. And of course there are 5 or so that used custom RSP firmware and basically don't work at all (although some of them can be made to partially work with some workarounds and hacks).

Some that I can get working on PC won't on N64oid because I can't try different video plugins.

On my old modded Xbox I have Surreal64 (it is still being maintained). On that they have multiple emulators and plugins ported. You can choose from UltraHLE, Project64, and 1964. There are 4 video plugin choices, 2 audio plugins and other options. That is better than N64oid but PC is best of course. Xbox is also somewhat faster so runs more games better although its 64MB RAM is inadequate for a few.

N64 emulation needs more low level emulation to get past all of these dirty hacks that are so problematic. But that is more demanding than HLE so wouldn't be good for weak devices like phones and tablets. It is in the works in MESS for example but they go for pure accuracy instead of any reasonable playability. A middle ground would be nice but nobody is working on it AFAIK.

Last edited:

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
Well I'm guessing you haven't tried very many games. There are many with problems even on PC, necessitating using multiple emulators and plugins. And of course there are 5 or so that used custom RSP firmware and basically don't work at all (although some of them can be made to partially work with some workarounds and hacks).

Some that I can get working on PC won't on N64oid because I can't try different video plugins.

On my old modded Xbox I have Surreal64 (it is still being maintained). On that they have multiple emulators and plugins ported. You can choose from UltraHLE, Project64, and 1964. There are 4 video plugin choices, 2 audio plugins and other options. That is better than N64oid but PC is best of course. Xbox is also somewhat faster so runs more games better although its 64MB RAM is inadequate for a few.

N64 emulation needs more low level emulation to get past all of these dirty hacks that are so problematic. But that is more demanding than HLE so wouldn't be good for weak devices like phones and tablets. It is in the works in MESS for example but they go for pure accuracy instead of any reasonable playability. A middle ground would be nice but nobody is working on it AFAIK.
Lol sorry. I really didn't care for the N64, so I didn't realize just how many games weren't working.

jgaf

Aug 14, 2011
Tampa

The games I want to play run great on Android devices compatible with N64oid (as seen on youtube), plus with project64 pc emulator too. So at least for me getting it working with the NC kernel would be awesome so I can play them. Mario 64 ran great on the NC, so other games that work with the emulator should run about the same. It's just that since the updated kernel was implemented the app stopped working. I'm pretty sure ppl in this thread or other relate threads were able to run Zelda OOT (which is the main one I want to play) smoothly using Phiremod 6.3 and/or CM7 7.0.3 (from what I recall reading in threads for n64oid). I could play it in my laptop, but I want it on the NC since its more portable, my laptop is 17" plus I don't want to get robbed and lose a $1k laptop (with all my docs). But I'm digressing, so yeah it would be great for me if the kernel were compatible with the app....

swaaye

Mar 16, 2011
Jgaf I hear ya but I'm not convinced the author is even trying to fix it for Nook. He doesn't have a Nook and so I doubt he cares much to try to blindly figure out what the deal is.

Lol sorry. I really didn't care for the N64, so I didn't realize just how many games weren't working.

Heh ya I am not sure why I care either lol. Most of the games are **** but there are a dozen or so that I like. Some of them don't work on any emulator. Most people are just after the usual first party games and those mostly do work fine. Of those I only care about Mario64 and Waverace.

Last edited:

brsingr

May 12, 2011
Alta Loma
Should I just root my nook to CM7 7.0.3? I read on page 13 that was the most stable with the versions 2.0+ for n64oid.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    runs great on my nook :) playing mario 64 right now
    My experiences. w/ Phiremod 5.1, 1.1ghz, N64oid v1.1.4

Super Mario 64:near perfect.
    Zelda Ocarina: unplayable(too choppy)
    markio kart: is almost as smooth as super mario.
    Conkers Bad Fur Day: Crashes before opening animation
    Banjo Kazooie/Tooie: unplayable(too choppy)
    Diddy Kong Racing: Like Mario Kart, kinda choppy.

NOTES: 4 frame skips is ideal, games play slightly better when NOT stretched to screen
    I just tried 2.3.3 Still no luck. Locked up the nook when trying to start up a rom.

It doesnt boot games since the update to the kernel a couple months ago. It will only run on n64oid versions that are lower than 2.0, which sucks because you can only play mario 64 without lag

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Should I just root my nook to CM7 7.0.3? I read on page 13 that was the most stable with the versions 2.0+ for n64oid.

It depends what is more important to you, playing n64 games or good battery life plus all the other features of CM7.1

Sent from space