[APP] Myrt Undervolt GUI

Search This thread

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
EDIT: This app has been suspended, it serves no purpose anymore.

By popular demand, here's an app to set undervolt-values. It works on any ROM which runs on a suitable kernel, but needs init.d-support to be able to keep settings between reboots. (If your device supports it you'll get a button you can use, if not a little message in its place.)

WARNING: By using this app, you're playing with fire. It's in fact very likely you'll lose data if trying to see "how low you can go". Do not experiment without backing up everything first.

It's easy to use, and easy to freeze your phone with, make sure you know what you're doing. (Yes, changes become effective as soon as you apply them.)

It's clever when it comes to the volt_scheduler script as well, it only edits the line which sets the values at startup, meaning you can change the script as much as you like, the app won't touch anything else in it. (It also fixes the script-permissions on Topogigi 1.9, which aren't set correctly on a default install.)

The app will NOT let you change the startup-script until you have applied the settings. This is an attempt to avoid applying bad undervolts at startup. (The theory is that your phone will freeze if you're undervolting too much, and hence you won't be able to save those values to the startup script. If you try hard enough however, you will be able to save unstable settings, with the possible consequence of boot-loops and data-loss. I'm not kidding, be careful!)

NOTE: If you're using a system-monitor (System Tuner for example) and it doesn't show the voltages you applied, you need to force-stop and restart it before it'll show the current values (pun intended.)

NOTE2: Tegra 2 never supplies less than 770mV to the CPUs. The app will let you set undervolt below 770 though, and will in brackets show you what the real undervolt (on Tegra2) actually is. (Until recently I thought this was a hardware limit, but learned it is a kernel-limit. There may be kernels out there which can go lower. If the minimum frequency's default voltage is not the same as the kernel's minimum, the numbers in brackets will be off by the difference between the two.)

HEEELP: "I was very stupid and saved the undervolt-values to the startup script without testing properly first. Now it keeps rebooting. Is there anything I can do?" See Post #2.

Happy undervolting!

Last edited:

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
HEEELP: "I saved the undervolt-values to the startup script without testing properly first. Now it keeps rebooting. Is there anything I can do?"

Yes. The phone cannot be damaged by undervolting, but your data might. First thing you should do is to stop the reboots by pressing and holding "Power" and "Volume Down" to enter CWM.

You will need to have ADB installed on your computer. (The following instructions are for Windows-users.)

Select "Mounts and Storage" in CWM and select "Mount /system"

o In a shell, type:

If you're using a Topogigi ROM:
Code:
adb pull /system/xbin/volt_scheduler c:\
If you're using anything else:
Code:
adb pull /system/etc/init.d/S_volt_scheduler c:\
Now edit the file c:\volt_scheduler or c:\S_volt_scheduler in a PROPER editor like Notepad2 or Notepad++. DO NOT use the regular Notepad. You'll see a line with some numbers enclosed in quotation marks. Replace those numbers with zeroes. Save it.

Then type (Topogigi)
Code:
adb push c:\volt_scheduler /system/xbin/volt_scheduler
del c:\volt_scheduler
adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/volt_scheduler
adb reboot

or for other roms:
Code:
adb push c:\S_volt_scheduler /system/etc/init.d/S_volt_scheduler
del c:\S_volt_scheduler
adb shell chmod 755 /system/etc/init.d/S_volt_scheduler
adb reboot

If you're lucky, your phone will boot properly. If it still boot-loops, you've had some sort of corruption and need to wipe. If it still loops you've had corruption on the system partition, a full re-install (or backup-restore) is the last option.

Last edited:

gideonrs

Jan 31, 2011
greaatt... sadly this afternoon i already edit the script manually :(
wait for some hours, and i can use this wonderful tool! :D

nevermind, just download & let's play with this.. (editing script every testing is kinda annoying.. :D )

Thanks! I use your clock adjustment tools too :D

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
greaatt... sadly this afternoon i already edit the script manually :(
wait for some hours, and i can use this wonderful tool! :D

nevermind, just download & let's play with this.. (editing script every testing is kinda annoying.. :D )

Thanks! I use your clock adjustment tools too :D
You're very welcome.

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
thanks for ure great effort.
can you specify the UV settings that will not damage the phone?

p.s. i really like unlock silly values option :)

Thanks.

edit: can i use -50Mv

Last edited:

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011

Thanks.

I wish it were that easy. Every phone is different. Mine seems to be completely stable at -75 across the board, and at 800Mhz I can run it at the lowest voltage possible, 770mV. Which is why I run everything at -50 ;-) (I learned a long time ago that balancing on the edge sooner or later makes you fall off.)

Other people have reported that their max stable undervolt is -25mV. There's no single recipe for everybody.

The correct way to test it is to set both min and max-frequencies to the same (for both awake and sleep-modes), then decrease voltage by one step, then run the toughest apps you can think of for at least 15 minutes each. If nothing weird happens, write down the numbers, decrease one step again, etc. etc. until you have found the breaking point for that particular frequency.

Then, and this is important, you need to make sure the phone is able to wake from sleep with those same values. For this you need to set sleep-mode to the normal frequencies again.

If everything works out with that, rinse and repeat with the next frequency. After you're done, you should have a nice set of numbers - increase them all by 25mV. That's your lowest stable voltage for each frequency.

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
thanks allot for the detailed and super fast reply.

as i mentioned in the edit i edited the Mv to 50 all across the board and its fine
also when gaming (thanks for the tip, i was just running quadrant each time)

i am running neoblaze with FR19 (2.2)

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
I UV by 50mv and then saved the profile with pimp my CPU and applied at boot since I use init.d
I wonder how much more battery I can squeeze more now :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
I UV by 50mv and then saved the profile with pimp my CPU and applied at boot since I use init.d
I wonder how much more battery I can squeeze more now :)

I guess I can easily do that from the app. Currently looking into how to best determine if a system has working init.d support.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited:

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
so what is the next step with the app?
I don't have any more plans for it at the moment, it does what it was designed to do. Open for suggestions though. I did add support for startup-scripts on ROMs with init.d. (I modify PimpMyCpus script, if it's there, to avoid conflicting scripts. If not I create it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: shpapy

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
I don't have any more plans for it at the moment, it does what it was designed to do. Open for suggestions though. I did add support for startup-scripts on ROMs with init.d. (I modify PimpMyCpus script, if it's there, to avoid conflicting scripts. If not I create it.)

Please bring back set on boot
Thanks!!!!

TrymHansen

Jun 7, 2011
Please bring back set on boot
Thanks!!!!

Long story short: Some ROMs didn't apply the settings at boot due to non-functioning init.d. So I made some changes to better discover which ROMs support it. So, in theory, if the button isn't there, you're running a ROM which it doesn't work on anyway.

This is all very new to me, If I mistakenly remove the button on ROMs where you have working init.d, please report back here with the details of the ROM. (Update to the latest version of the app first.)

I tested it on GR4 cooked with stock kernel (no working init.d support, even when you replace the kernel), GR4 cooked with custom kernel (working init.d), Fr19 (Working init.d), Topogigi (which it was originally designed for - always working) etc.

CM7 has init.d support, but refuses to set the undervolt-values both live and and boot (VorkKernel), I'm looking into that.

Last edited:

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
I have fr 19 with the latest neoblaze which supports for sure since i checked the logcat. also now with topo 2.0 its missing

shpapy

Apr 22, 2011
I jumped the gun i had to clear data working fine now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: This app has been suspended, it serves no purpose anymore.

By popular demand, here's an app to set undervolt-values. It works on any ROM which runs on a suitable kernel, but needs init.d-support to be able to keep settings between reboots. (If your device supports it you'll get a button you can use, if not a little message in its place.)

WARNING: By using this app, you're playing with fire. It's in fact very likely you'll lose data if trying to see "how low you can go". Do not experiment without backing up everything first.

It's easy to use, and easy to freeze your phone with, make sure you know what you're doing. (Yes, changes become effective as soon as you apply them.)

It's clever when it comes to the volt_scheduler script as well, it only edits the line which sets the values at startup, meaning you can change the script as much as you like, the app won't touch anything else in it. (It also fixes the script-permissions on Topogigi 1.9, which aren't set correctly on a default install.)

The app will NOT let you change the startup-script until you have applied the settings. This is an attempt to avoid applying bad undervolts at startup. (The theory is that your phone will freeze if you're undervolting too much, and hence you won't be able to save those values to the startup script. If you try hard enough however, you will be able to save unstable settings, with the possible consequence of boot-loops and data-loss. I'm not kidding, be careful!)

NOTE: If you're using a system-monitor (System Tuner for example) and it doesn't show the voltages you applied, you need to force-stop and restart it before it'll show the current values (pun intended.)

NOTE2: Tegra 2 never supplies less than 770mV to the CPUs. The app will let you set undervolt below 770 though, and will in brackets show you what the real undervolt (on Tegra2) actually is. (Until recently I thought this was a hardware limit, but learned it is a kernel-limit. There may be kernels out there which can go lower. If the minimum frequency's default voltage is not the same as the kernel's minimum, the numbers in brackets will be off by the difference between the two.)

HEEELP: "I was very stupid and saved the undervolt-values to the startup script without testing properly first. Now it keeps rebooting. Is there anything I can do?" See Post #2.

Happy undervolting!

Thanks.

I wish it were that easy. Every phone is different. Mine seems to be completely stable at -75 across the board, and at 800Mhz I can run it at the lowest voltage possible, 770mV. Which is why I run everything at -50 ;-) (I learned a long time ago that balancing on the edge sooner or later makes you fall off.)

Other people have reported that their max stable undervolt is -25mV. There's no single recipe for everybody.

The correct way to test it is to set both min and max-frequencies to the same (for both awake and sleep-modes), then decrease voltage by one step, then run the toughest apps you can think of for at least 15 minutes each. If nothing weird happens, write down the numbers, decrease one step again, etc. etc. until you have found the breaking point for that particular frequency.

Then, and this is important, you need to make sure the phone is able to wake from sleep with those same values. For this you need to set sleep-mode to the normal frequencies again.

If everything works out with that, rinse and repeat with the next frequency. After you're done, you should have a nice set of numbers - increase them all by 25mV. That's your lowest stable voltage for each frequency.
    so what is the next step with the app?
    Just a heads up that it now works on VorkKernel (CM7) as well, from appversion 0.6.5.
    thanks again!!!!
    u got some new stars :)