Thanks Meter: 0

By Mann_Kel, Junior Member on 7th October 2011, 10:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th October 2011, 11:35 PM |#11  
Flag Rancho Santa Margarita
Thanks Meter: 226

Donate to Me
More
Well I just called DELL and it looks like they found out about this from my post (LOL). It is a "compatibility issue" (whatever that means). I dont get how they can call it a "compatibility issue" when it is clearly a "Dell deleted this driver" issue. I am going to give Dell one week to fix this issue before I contact a lawyer.

15th October 2011, 05:26 AM |#12  

Donate to Me
More
I just Sent this to Dell support and the dell board of directors:
Quote:

Dell:
Today I called Tech support up to see if there was any information on the Dell Venue Pro’s compass not working after upgrading to Windows Phone Mango / 7.5. It took a good 5 minutes to explain to the technician what a compass was, that it was a part of the phone, and then he thought I was talking about an android phone. Finally he talked to a supervisor and told me it was “A compatibility issue”. I do not like being lied to! I know for a certain fact that the compassDrv.dll was deleted during the update process. It was the only file to be deleted!!! My logs and the File Copy tool in the engineering mode application provided with the phone back this fact up.

Here is an excerpt from the UpdateApp.Log from my device
================================================
START OF UPDATEAPP INFO MESSAGES
================================================
SETTING THE INSTALLING UPDATE STATE.

**** STARTING IMGFS UPDATE SIMULATION @ 16:46:32 ****
DELETING FILE COMPASSDRV.DLL.

Now with almost any other WM7.5 phone on the market, I could simply deploy the compassDrv.dll file from another phone. But since Dell has yet to release any applications that support homebrew/advanced development for their phone this is impossible.

Please either fix the issue by the end of the month and/or give us a way to edit the registry to get the interop unlock working so we can have native com access and fix it ourselves. Us developers like to tinker with our phones so please give us the option to do so.

Lastly, I am a developer and I was planning on making an application that uses the compass. Now I can’t and am potentially losing revenue for my company. This is not acceptable.

Thank you,
Windows Phone Developer and Disgruntled Fan

The Following User Says Thank You to MJCS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MJCS Ad-Free
16th October 2011, 09:32 PM |#13  

Donate to Me
More
Using the file browser I see they uploaded a file called CompassDrv_ms.dll but all the programs are trying to use CompassDrv.dll.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJCS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MJCS Ad-Free
19th October 2011, 11:39 AM |#14  
Flag Lucknow, India
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCS

Using the file browser I see they uploaded a file called CompassDrv_ms.dll but all the programs are trying to use CompassDrv.dll.

Thanks MJCS. So, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it may not require Dell to issue an update, right? I have written to one of the developers of a compass app to try the CompassDrv_ms.dll file in his app and see if it works on the DVP. Let's see where this goes.
19th October 2011, 03:51 PM |#15  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilshukla

Thanks MJCS. So, there's light at the end of the tunnel and it may not require Dell to issue an update, right? I have written to one of the developers of a compass app to try the CompassDrv_ms.dll file in his app and see if it works on the DVP. Let's see where this goes.

No. There needs to be an update to rename that dll.
19th October 2011, 11:19 PM |#16  

Donate to Me
More
I got a response from Dell Executive Support. They should know something by Saturday and will contact me then. They are working on the problem .
20th October 2011, 04:05 AM |#17  
Flag Baton Rouge
Thanks Meter: 498

More
as much as i hated the old days of nightly flashes and hoped wp7 would get rid of that mentality...i almost wish they'd open things up and let the talented folks here at xda fix their problems like the good old days.
20th October 2011, 04:18 AM |#18  
Denton, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by venelar

as much as i hated the old days of nightly flashes and hoped wp7 would get rid of that mentality...i almost wish they'd open things up and let the talented folks here at xda fix their problems like the good old days.

right? I used my Fuze for 1.5 years thanks to the folks on here...had the DVP for 5 months and tired of this crap already. Not sure how you early adopters handled it.
22nd October 2011, 01:27 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
why not send many e-mail to Dell where asks the solution of the problem
22nd October 2011, 09:38 PM |#20  

Donate to Me
More
Just got a phone call back from Dell:
Dell emailed Microsoft
No update as of now but Microsoft is working on it.
26th October 2011, 07:45 PM |#21  

More
any word on this getting fixed? anyone talk to the dell twitter people?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)