Post Reply Email Thread
18th October 2011, 04:04 PM |#1851  
Senior Moderator
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 3,121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozst

Hey! That's a good idea! Is that possible?

This CM wiki entry seems to indicate so

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Fastboot

18th October 2011, 04:28 PM |#1852  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Thanks! I'll try and I'll post results.
18th October 2011, 04:37 PM |#1853  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 10,993

Donate to Me
More
How to flash a custom recovery and get root with an unlocked bootloader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglovato

Perfectly understood. My unique question is how to flash superuser.

I found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828
It have versions for 1.5/1.6 and 2.1/2.2. I am running 2.3, since Google automatically updated mine weeks ago.

So, the missing link is how should I get root on this device. I was told to flash something thru Recovery to do so, but I cannot get to recovery since I cant remove that .sh because I cant go root.

Am I being too n00b on this? If so, sorry. SGS i9000B was a real pain, and I did it. I am somehow stuck on this tricky point.

Ok, let me try and make this clear, as you are obviously not understanding something, depite all the information/guides available:

Step-by-step:
1) Download the Eclair/Froyo version of Superuser from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828 and place it on the root directory of your sdcard.
2) Ensure the Android SDK and USB drivers are properly installed on your computer.
3) Reboot your device into fastboot mode and plug into your computer.
4) Open a terminal window on your computer and navigate to the directory that has the fastboot executable.
5) Type fastboot devices. You should see your device. If not, redo step 2.
6) Place the custom recovery you want into the same directory as the fastboot executable.
7) Rename the recovery to recovery.img (to keep things simple).
8) Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9) Reboot your device into recovery DIRECTLY. DO NOT reboot into the main ROM.
10) Reread step 9. Now you should be in Amon_RA's recovery.
11) Go to "flash zip from sdcard" or whatever the menu is called.
12) Turn OFF signature verification.
13) Find the Superuser zip file that you downloaded, and flash it.
14) Reboot. Now you have root.
15) Now, you can remove the install-recovery.sh either via your device or through ADB if you want. I will tell you how to do it via ADB.
16) Open a terminal window on your computer and navigate to the directory that has the adb executable.
17) Type adb devices. You should see your device. If not, redo step 2.
18) Type adb shell. You should now see the $ prompt.
19) Type su, and then look at your device: You should see the Superuser prompt. Give it permission.
20) Type mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system to mount the /system partion as r/w.
21) Type rm /system/etc/install-recovery.sh to remove the file.
22) Type mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system to mount the /system partion as ro.
23) Type exit.
24) Type exit again.
25) Type adb reboot-bootloader
26) Do step 4, 5, and 8 AGAIN.
27) Finished.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
18th October 2011, 06:14 PM |#1854  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
efrant, thanks man. A lot. I know I was missing something stupid. Now I am at the Recovery. I tought that rebooting directly into Recovery will produce the same behavior, and of course I was completelly wrong. I admit that. Thank you for your time and attention.
18th October 2011, 07:06 PM |#1855  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Well, I tried to restore via fastboot but I got an error message saying the the size of file is too big. Apparently fastboot images are limited to 128MB.

Maybe I could try with a update.zip script...
3rd November 2011, 04:36 PM |#1856  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

26) Do step 4, 5, and 8 AGAIN.

efrant, thank you very much for the detailed guide, but could you please explain, what's the purpose of the step 26 ?
3rd November 2011, 04:42 PM |#1857  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc2

efrant, thank you very much for the detailed guide, but could you please explain, what's the purpose of the step 26 ?

If you are using a stock ROM, there is a file (/system/etc/install-recovery.sh) included in the stock ROM that re-flashes the stock recovery on every boot.

So, if you flash a custom recovery, it will disappear the first time you boot into your stock ROM.

In order to have a custom recovery to stick on your device, you need to delete that script. However, if you booted into your ROM to delete that file, your custom recovery is gone, so you have to re-flash it. But now, since the file is gone, your custom recovery will still be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
3rd November 2011, 05:21 PM |#1858  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you, that makes much sense
22nd November 2011, 06:08 AM |#1859  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 126

More
Fastboot flash
I have used this recovery in the past by installing it through ROM Manager. Now that that seems to not be working, I decided to use the fastboot method. I got fastboot installed and working, fastboot devices finds the phone. But when I try to flash the recovery, I get this message:

So, it was recommended that I install from the SD card.

This does not work either. How can I correctly install? Where must the file be placed so that fastboot can access it and it works correctly?
22nd November 2011, 08:44 AM |#1860  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumcax

I have used this recovery in the past by installing it through ROM Manager. Now that that seems to not be working, I decided to use the fastboot method. I got fastboot installed and working, fastboot devices finds the phone. But when I try to flash the recovery, I get this message:

This does not work either. How can I correctly install? Where must the file be placed so that fastboot can access it and it works correctly?

It's fastboot flash recovery <filename>

[Edit: Nevermind - just re-read the post, you've presumably tried the correct syntax. Have you confirmed that the image file is correct - i.e. check the md5 signature?]
22nd November 2011, 11:23 AM |#1861  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumcax

If your bootloader is locked, you cannot use fastboot commands. Either use the flash_image utility or install Blackrose. A quick search on both will show you how to proceed.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)