[KERNEL] T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II Stock Kernel // UVKID

Search This thread

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II Stock Kernel // UVKID

Finally guys we have root access and with root access that brings goodies, this is one of those goodies.

Explanation

What we have here is a stock boot.img (imagine that Samsung changing things up again on us) pulled from a rooted (via recovery) T-Mobile SGH-T989 (Samsung Galaxy S II).

With this you can recover your phone using ODIN, in the case of a brick or just to return to a factory state.

Initramfs for Developers

I have extracted the boot.img and posted it up for all developers on my github.

Code:
https://github.com/bubby323/stock-initramfs-UVKID-galaxysII-tmo

Downloads

Also to restore you're phone I have a nice little tar file that will take care of the job for you that you can grab from here.

Last edited:

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
How to Flash

We are going to be using Odin in this explanation to flash the stock kernel to your phone.

Downloads

First you are going to want to start by downloading all the needed files onto your computer and then place them onto your Desktop.

Samsung Kies

Odin3-v1.85.zip

SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar

Process

Once you have everything downloaded and on your desktop, you are going to want to first install kies.

After this is done you should restart your computer for proper driver installation.

Next, extract Odin to a new folder on your Desktop. Leave the tar in the form it is.

Now, open up Odin by double clicking the .exe in the folder you extracted it to.

The most important step is now, you need to put your device into Download/ODIN mode so your computer will recognize it and be able to flash to it. To do this simply turn your phone off completely (or pull the battery). Then you are going to want to use the following button combination to force your device into download mode:

Hold the volume up/down and power button all at the same time.

Now ODIN should have recognized your device ( it may take a while for the drivers to complete installation so don't panic the first time).

Lastly, we want to click on the PDA button and then search for the SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar we download earlier and placed on the Desktop.

If all of the above has taken place you are free to hit the Start button.

Done!

If all has gone well at this point the flash should be proven successful and your phone should reboot like normal.

If so, please feel pressured to give yourself a pat on the back, that was tough! :p

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Different thing. This is to restore your phone to stock in a bricky situation...
Is this method better then slayher?? Method?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

hey bubby, you happen to know the defconfig of this phone?

Reactions: cr1130

cr1130

Aug 13, 2010
Philly PA
Different thing. This is to restore your phone to stock in a bricky situation...

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

hey bubby, you happen to know the defconfig of this phone?
Ok.. Starting to panic. Just rooted via Slayers method. In the process of doing the Nandroid backup now. Am I at risk?? What should I do now/ I want to try this method. as this seems to be the safe bet. Is it too late for me to? Fogive my noobage..

bubby323

Jul 31, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Ok.. Starting to panic. Just rooted via Slayers method. In the process of doing the Nandroid backup now. Am I at risk?? What should I do now/ I want to try this method. as this seems to be the safe bet. Is it too late for me to? Fogive my noobage..

You are A ok man! Nothing has done wrong for you so you are in the clear you only need this kernel if you need to get back to stock.

Reactions: cr1130

cr1130

Aug 13, 2010
Philly PA
You are A ok man! Nothing has done wrong for you so you are in the clear you only need this kernel if you need to get back to stock.
Sweet. Root confirmed though. Had some issues with su zip install but all was well when I installed zip from internal sd. Now just need to know what bloatware is safe to remove. Itchy trigger finger in Titanium Backup now.. LOL! Thanks

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

This is not a method for obtaining root. It's reference material, and also a way to return yourself to stock if you flash a hosed kernel.

If you already have a stock kernel, I am 90% certain that this will do absolutely nothing.

But having a "return to stock kernel" path AND a fresh initramfs are major milestones for development.

You're not at risk, you should be perfectly fine using slayher's method, but if you screw up, this will be a component of your path back to a working phone. But it's only useful if you screw up, you're a kernel developer who wants a clean initramfs for reference, or need to return your phone back to 100% stock. However, if you're in one of those three categories, this is a critical milestone.

senkulpa

Aug 20, 2009
[Q] Files from a ROM around?

I've asked this before and I should probably shut it, but if anyone has files from a ROM that works with ODIN or a ZIP file (CWM compat or not), root or unrooted (doesn't matter), or a NANDROID backup, could you let me know?

I got stock kernel up, CWM recov, but broke my actual OS- since it broke, I done flashed /data /emmc /system to empty out my stomach. I really just need everything from / (minus your personal data, of course) - can get it to work with a recovery by myself (and can post that up if I do).

Thanks in advance, bruvs.

Last edited:

drewtang

Jun 29, 2010
Boise
I've asked this before and I should probably shut it, but if anyone has files from a ROM that works with ODIN or a ZIP file (CWM compat or not), root or unrooted (doesn't matter), or a NANDROID backup, could you let me know?

I got stock kernel up, CWM recov, but broke my actual OS- since it broke, I done flashed /data /emmc /system to empty out my stomach. I really just need everything from / (minus your personal data, of course) - can get it to work with a recovery by myself (and can post that up if I do).

Thanks in advance, bruvs.

If you haven't gotten it by the time I get home tonight (10pm mst) I'll do a wipe and then backup and upload it for you :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: senkulpa

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
If you just upload the backup folder minus the data part that will get him going. Im at work or i would have done it already
If you haven't gotten it by the time I get home tonight (10pm mst) I'll do a wipe and then backup and upload it for you :cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

senkulpa

Aug 20, 2009
if you haven't gotten it by the time i get home tonight (10pm mst) i'll do a wipe and then backup and upload it for you :cool:

Sent from my sgh-t989 using xda premium

thank you hella much, drewtang!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I would love to have a clean on as well. Thanks in advance.

ABOUT YOUR CIG:

Vaping - like, 420 or cigs?

I lost both due to flatmates (breakage and physical loss, respectively).

zoth

Nov 13, 2009
TEXAS
thank you hella much, drewtang!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

ABOUT YOUR CIG:

Vaping - like, 420 or cigs?

I lost both due to flatmates (breakage and physical loss, respectively).

out off topic but e-cig's. analogs are regular cig's. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II Stock Kernel // UVKID

Finally guys we have root access and with root access that brings goodies, this is one of those goodies.

Explanation

What we have here is a stock boot.img (imagine that Samsung changing things up again on us) pulled from a rooted (via recovery) T-Mobile SGH-T989 (Samsung Galaxy S II).

With this you can recover your phone using ODIN, in the case of a brick or just to return to a factory state.

Initramfs for Developers

I have extracted the boot.img and posted it up for all developers on my github.

Code:
    https://github.com/bubby323/stock-initramfs-UVKID-galaxysII-tmo

Downloads

Also to restore you're phone I have a nice little tar file that will take care of the job for you that you can grab from here.
    How to Flash

We are going to be using Odin in this explanation to flash the stock kernel to your phone.

Downloads

First you are going to want to start by downloading all the needed files onto your computer and then place them onto your Desktop.

Samsung Kies

Odin3-v1.85.zip

SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar

Process

Once you have everything downloaded and on your desktop, you are going to want to first install kies.

After this is done you should restart your computer for proper driver installation.

Next, extract Odin to a new folder on your Desktop. Leave the tar in the form it is.

Now, open up Odin by double clicking the .exe in the folder you extracted it to.

The most important step is now, you need to put your device into Download/ODIN mode so your computer will recognize it and be able to flash to it. To do this simply turn your phone off completely (or pull the battery). Then you are going to want to use the following button combination to force your device into download mode:

Hold the volume up/down and power button all at the same time.

Now ODIN should have recognized your device ( it may take a while for the drivers to complete installation so don't panic the first time).

Lastly, we want to click on the PDA button and then search for the SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar we download earlier and placed on the Desktop.

If all of the above has taken place you are free to hit the Start button.

Done!

If all has gone well at this point the flash should be proven successful and your phone should reboot like normal.

If so, please feel pressured to give yourself a pat on the back, that was tough! :p
    When I click on the link to the tar it says:

could not find www.inspiringandroid.com

Link broken or what? Or if it's my own dns problem, can someone resolve the ip of www.inspiringandroid.com and tell me the ip?

I have the same. Probably, link is broken, waiting for its update

Or please supply another to this kernel?

Thank you.

I can't keep this up too long so grab it while you can!
    SGH-T989-Stock-UVKID.tar
    Wonder why there isn't a clockwork flashable zip?

Ahh...but there is such a thing.

Edit: courtesy of Romanbb

This is not a method for obtaining root. It's reference material, and also a way to return yourself to stock if you flash a hosed kernel.

If you already have a stock kernel, I am 90% certain that this will do absolutely nothing.

But having a "return to stock kernel" path AND a fresh initramfs are major milestones for development.

You're not at risk, you should be perfectly fine using slayher's method, but if you screw up, this will be a component of your path back to a working phone. But it's only useful if you screw up, you're a kernel developer who wants a clean initramfs for reference, or need to return your phone back to 100% stock. However, if you're in one of those three categories, this is a critical milestone.