Forever root + .893 = winning!

Search This thread

srgolub

Dec 10, 2009
Need help...tried every method, getting error

I've tried all the methods listed and have even done the oneclick restore/root to get completely back to stock. Regardless of what I do the Cheesecake update fails (I'm able to download the file but the update fails in the middle). I downloaded the .893 file separately and tried updating from CWM but keep getting the following error:

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") "cdma_targa"
getprop("ro.build.product") "cdma targa"
Error in /sdcard/Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Please help!!!

RoboJoe

Jul 1, 2010
I've tried all the methods listed and have even done the oneclick restore/root to get completely back to stock. Regardless of what I do the Cheesecake update fails (I'm able to download the file but the update fails in the middle). I downloaded the .893 file separately and tried updating from CWM but keep getting the following error:

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") "cdma_targa"
getprop("ro.build.product") "cdma targa"
Error in /sdcard/Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Please help!!!

Check your /system/build.prop file and see what ro.product.device and ro.build.product are set to. I wouldn't go changing it, mind you, I just want to know what they're set to.

You haven't changed it since you restored to stock, have you?

Last edited:

jphillips.hd88

Jul 10, 2011
I got to tell you this thing is amazing! I cannot believe the battery improvement...4g in my house now....

The entire setup went perfect for me....originally i was on d3blurr3d beta4

i one clicked restored to stock...I added a step here, i did a factory reset.

rooted, applied forever root....

installed the cheesecake update...went smooth for me..

when done, i still had root and flashed r3blurr3ed 2.0....

and now that p3 (the man!) has got a method to put us back on OTA update path, I am giddy as a school girl!

Thanks so much to the devs that have contributed to the bionic! I love this ride!

Edit: i made a nandroid after the udate!

Last edited:

smilepak

Nov 16, 2008
Finally Got It Working!

After spending hours last night and a few faulty scripts..finally got it working..

If you are on any versions, you need to get back to stock...

1) Use this
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/7801-roo...v10-linuxwindows-get-root-after-893-ota-oops/

- Download the script to your PC.
- Turn Phone Off.
- Press Down Button and Power
- Plug in USB
- Launch The bat script
- Let it do it's thing

2) WHen it is ready to start the next step in the process, it will pause and ask you to press any key to continue. Before you do, these steps are required

- The phone have been put back to STOCK and sitting at WELCOME. Click to get into the phone - DO NOT LOG INTO GOOGLE ACCOUNT
- Go to SETUP -> APPLICATION -> DEVELOPMENT -> check USB DEBUGGING
- Go to SETUP -> APPLICATION -> check Unknown Sources

Now back to the script, press any key to continue. It will continue to flash.

3) Once it finish it will reboot. Now on with CHEESECAKE
download APP
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1281675

and follow direction on that thread until you update to .893

4) From here, you can then flash R3Blurred 2.0 or do whatever you want. You are now
- FOREVER ROOTED
- ON .893 with much better camera response and other thing..

ENJOY

dubsx

Jan 2, 2011
Kent, OH
twitter.com
I want this so bad...too afraid of f###ing something up afterwards without an fxz to fall back on...I'm sure I'll nut up eventually lol too important improvements to pass up

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com
I want this so bad...too afraid of f###ing something up afterwards without an fxz to fall back on...I'm sure I'll nut up eventually lol too important improvements to pass up

Nothing to worry about... we have full restore and root capabilities now.

Simple as a flash. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reactions: dubsx and RoboJoe

ROB281

Apr 8, 2010
Houston
You know if someone had a stock/odexed/bloated rom in a flashable zip going to .893 could be done entirely through your phone. Or am I mistaken in that assumption?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda premium

needshelp101

Jul 27, 2010
ok i have a silly question that i know im going to get alot of slack for lol. ready to laugh?

i went into root explorer on 896 trying to get the 893 update. i added the files that i was supposed to but realized after that i never put a space after 4755 until after i installed the update. now im on 893 without root. ok no big deal. i fxz'd back to stock 896 and when i went to re root the phone it wouldnt take. i tried petes oneclick to no avail. how to i obtain root again? im at a loss

jphillips.hd88

Jul 10, 2011
You know if someone had a stock/odexed/bloated rom in a flashable zip going to .893 could be done entirely through your phone. Or am I mistaken in that assumption?

There is no flashable zip that can update the kernal or radio...Th3orys rom is 893 system based, but the kernal and radio are not. That can only be achieved by OTA...or backdoored throught the cheesecake app.

Sorry if I answered something that was not your question....but if it is, hope it helps.

ROB281

Apr 8, 2010
Houston
There is no flashable zip that can update the kernal or radio...Th3orys rom is 893 system based, but the kernal and radio are not. That can only be achieved by OTA...or backdoored throught the cheesecake app.

Sorry if I answered something that was not your question....but if it is, hope it helps.

I know I can't flash radios, and kernels. But I can't see why you can't flash a completely stock rooted rom instead of going back to stock then rooting the end result is the same in both scenarios

jphillips.hd88

Jul 10, 2011
I know I can't flash radios, and kernels. But I can't see why you can't flash a completely stock rooted rom instead of going back to stock then rooting the end result is the same in both scenarios

I thought so....sorry.. but I do believe that p3 does have what you looking for here....
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...e-files-read-before-you-flash.html#post106171

Edit: maybe not...this is the stock recovery flash zips unrooted... oops..

Last edited:

mistawolfe

Nov 21, 2010

Actually, the full .893 zip is available to download manually - with radio and kernel.

When you cheesecake, before you install, you can pull the update from /cache and put it on your computer. Rename it to update.zip and move it to the root of sd/ext (I believe) - then power down and reboot into stock recovery. Apply update.zip.

You still need to follow the prerequisites of the standard procedure. Completely stock (I recommend one-click restore) and be rooted. Full bloat. Apply p3's forever root script in Root Explorer. Reboot once and check the script - make sure it's legit. Check permissions before and after to make sure they match. Then follow above directions.

Reactions: jphillips.hd88

needshelp101

Jul 27, 2010
does anyone know what the actual radio is? i want to check mine to make sure im on 893. and not the bastard child. i think i fixed it but i want to double check

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I applied p3's forever root method and after some doubt and mental quarrel i decided to go through with it. I am now running rooted .893 it seems faster so far. Screenshots to come.

I am in no way responsible for your actions. The krakken lies ahead. There is no turning back. Please think about this before you proceed and know that until we have a fastboot restore point there is no way to restore a softbrick.

From .886 stock rooted bloat must be present. Flash to stock before proceeding.
    Apply forever root and reboot for safety sakes.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18502929

P3droids Forever root- root explorer Method

go to /system/bin/open in text editor - mount_ext3.sh add the following lines to the very bottom (i placed 2 spaces between the las line and the first line of the script)

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
    chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

I found the problem. If you use ES Text Editor then it change permission for mount_ext3.sh and you will stuck on logo. EVERYONE MUST CHECK mount_ext3.sh execute permission after editing.

Then using the cheesecake app change your server to staging and download the update. 5.5.893

Then apply as normal let phone do its thing allow ten minutes or so for install and maybe 7 for first boot.

Enjoy your new much more battery efficient Droid Bionic running 5.5.893 rooted!

Bionic bootstrap works.
    Rom manager works including cwmr.
    So far all apps work fine.
    Battery seems better but time will tell.
    Cell standby greatly reduced!
    Blur UI faster more responsive.
    Camera slightly faster.

proxy

proxy

proxy

Nothing to worry about... we have full restore and root capabilities now.

Simple as a flash. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    I was really sceptical myself but p3droid pulled through so thanks to p3's forever root post.

I'm running liberty right now, should I FXZ to complete stock before doing the forever root and downloading the update?

Yes

Ten posts later..

Nice work, and a thanks to everyone who has been working on this.

I've rooted, forever mod, webtop mod, and 5.5.886 stock. Some bloat frozen. I am about to pull the trigger here, getting sick of data drops.

The Question is, after installing cheesecake and changing servers.. How does one get back to the standard "Verizon" server? (of course I could restore the backup I made before installing cheesecake, but I have yet to 'restore' any thing yet on this phone, and wonder what the standard server is. Any thoughts?

If 5.7.893 is the 'official' update, will there be anything different between what we can get from cheesecake, and what would come ota from VZ? (ie, any reason to wait till VZ pushes this)

To get back to the stock update just choose the production sever from cheesecake.

Its just up to you if you want the update now or just wait for the update to be released. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more minor changes between now and then