HTC Homeplug Weather fix - get your LOCAL weather! [New universal patch uploaded!]

Search This thread

edsub

Retired Moderator
May 25, 2004
That's rather interesting to know - I wonder if it's something to do with AKU 2.3... I'll update the first post accordingly. Thanks for the feedback!

Well AKU3.3 has some changes in the GPRS connection behaviour I noticed.
I am now able to run connections over multiple APN's (ie Blackberry RIM and Vodafone simultaneously). This has also afected TomTom6.03 behaviour (with previous AKU it started mute if i had an active GPRS connection, now it works like suppoesed)

Last edited:

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
Interesting:

Caribbean location for St Maarten works but any of the three choices for US Virgin Islands do not work. Using 3 BTN HTC Home.

tenizkid

Jan 31, 2008
Error when creating Cab file

Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Packager\N2A-Packager\tools\htchome.dll
The system cannot find the file specified.
Uncompressed file detected. Compressing with UPX...
upx: htchome.dll: IOException: file is write protected -- skipped
Preparing cabinet install...
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Packager\N2A-Packager\
tools\htchome.dll

=======================================================================
Process is complete, and was successful!
Install the cabfile which has been placed in this folder to your phone.

I did post the file in the tools folder and ran the batch file. Also, I am using T-Mobile Web in the US. I am not the most technical person with cell phone hacks so any and all information on how I can get the weather to work using T-Mobile Web in the US is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

N2A

Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Packager\N2A-Packager\tools\htchome.dll
Uncompressed file detected. Compressing with UPX...
upx: htchome.dll: IOException: file is write protected -- skipped
Preparing cabinet install...
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Packager\N2A-Packager\
tools\htchome.dll

Process is complete, and was successful!
Install the cabfile which has been placed in this foldto your phone.

I did post the file in the tools folder and ran the batch file. Also, I am using T-Mobile Web in the US. I am not the most technical person with cell phone hacks so any and all information on how I can get the weather to work using T-Mobile Web in the US is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

You're not supposed to put the DLL in the tools folder, you're supposed to put it in the folder above (the "N2A-Packager" folder). Also, the packager doesn't patch anything - that is purely if you have an already-patched DLL. You may wish to use the N2A Universal Patch Package if you don't have an already-patched DLL.

tenizkid

Jan 31, 2008
You're not supposed to put the DLL in the tools folder, you're supposed to put it in the folder above (the "N2A-Packager" folder). Also, the packager doesn't patch anything - that is purely if you have an already-patched DLL. You may wish to use the N2A Universal Patch Package if you don't have an already-patched DLL.

I did as mentioned and am using the N2A Universal Patch Package. I put the HTCHome.dll in the folder as you mentioned. The following is the error I get:

File not found - unpatched.dll
grep: unpatched.dll: No such file or directory
Performing patch...
Reading from unpatched.dll...
Error opening input file unpatched.dll
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Patcher\N2A-Patcher\to
ols\unpatched.dll
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Home\Desktop\N2A-Patcher\N2A-Patcher\to
ols\patched.dll
Process failed! Unable to patch the HTCHome.dll file correctly.
Either this file has already been patched, or something has gone wrong.
If you are sure the file is not pre-patched, please report this error
on the XDA-Developers forums, using the link from
http://weather.not2advanced.com/files/

Press a key to exit.

sullivan26

Jan 20, 2008
I feel like such a noob.

"There is no application associated with "n2a-patcher". Run the application first, then open the file from within the application.

Been at this for hours... dll file in the folder before tools with the patcher. Searched the entire thread, to no answer. Any help? :confused:

N2A

I feel like such a noob.

"There is no application associated with "n2a-patcher". Run the application first, then open the file from within the application.

Been at this for hours... dll file in the folder before tools with the patcher. Searched the entire thread, to no answer. Any help? :confused:

Running Windows 98 perchance, or something similar? It's a .cmd file, which was designed to be used with the Win2K or above command interpreter. I have however renamed them to .bat in the new packages, which should work on any Windows operating system. Grab yourself a fresh download from the download page.

N2A

I did as mentioned and am using the N2A Universal Patch Package. I put the HTCHome.dll in the folder as you mentioned. The following is the error I get:

File not found - unpatched.dll
grep: unpatched.dll: No such file or directory
Performing patch...
Error opening input file unpatched.dll
ols\unpatched.dll
ols\patched.dll

Press a key to exit.

The first message, the "The system cannot find the file specified." suggests it's not finding the htchome.dll file at all for the initial copy, which is weird - it should abort before going any further.

I've repackaged them, with a specific text file saying exactly where to put the DLL file - try the new package from the download page, and let me know if you still have the same issue.

sullivan26

Jan 20, 2008
Running Windows 98 perchance, or something similar? It's a .cmd file, which was designed to be used with the Win2K or above command interpreter. I have however renamed them to .bat in the new packages, which should work on any Windows operating system. Grab yourself a fresh download from the download page.

All fixed. Just have to edit my .xml file. Was grabbing the wrong .dll, and was doing it on the phone, LOL! I feel dumber than ever.

Last edited:

sullivan26

Jan 20, 2008
Works great, but still a problem.

I've edit the XML file with Crimson and sent it back to the Windows directory. Its showing my city (Columbia, TN) at 61 degrees. Its 30 something outside as I've checked. What have I done wrong?

N2A

Works great, but still a problem.

I've edit the XML file with Crimson and sent it back to the Windows directory. Its showing my city (Columbia, TN) at 61 degrees. Its 30 something outside as I've checked. What have I done wrong?

You using your zip code, or the international format? Also, is celsius/fahrenheit set correctly? Last person who had bizarre errors like that actually had it pointing to the wrong city with the same name.

sullivan26

Jan 20, 2008
You using your zip code, or the international format? Also, is celsius/fahrenheit set correctly? Last person who had bizarre errors like that actually had it pointing to the wrong city with the same name.

Using the zip code as the international way is different. Columbia, TN 38401 United States is how I have it in there. Set to farenheit.

tenizkid

Jan 31, 2008
The first message, the "The system cannot find the file specified." suggests it's not finding the htchome.dll file at all for the initial copy, which is weird - it should abort before going any further.

I've repackaged them, with a specific text file saying exactly where to put the DLL file - try the new package from the download page, and let me know if you still have the same issue.

New error with the packager. Here it is:
============================================================
N2A's Automatic Weather Patched DLL Package Creator
Created by N2A @ XDA-Developers.com
For all questions, please see the thread at XDA-Developers
and the site at http://weather.not2advanced.com/files/

UPX compressed file detected. Decompressing...
Performing patch...

Press a key to exit.

Also, based on the last error, it says it can't find unpatched.dll from the tools folder. When I browse it, I don't see it either. I feel like such a numbskull, sorry for all this mess.

Last edited:

godfa7h3r

May 29, 2006
Wow, that was a pretty complicated process just to get local weather. I don't know why they don't just let you put a zip code in there and keep the data on their servers rather than in an xml on every phone.

Anyway, I got it working on my Kaiser! Thanks for all the hard work N2A!

N2A

New error with the packager. Here it is:
N2A's Automatic Weather Patched DLL Package Creator
Created by N2A @ XDA-Developers.com
For all questions, please see the thread at XDA-Developers
and the site at http://weather.not2advanced.com/files/

UPX compressed file detected. Decompressing...
Performing patch...

Press a key to exit.

Also, based on the last error, it says it can't find unpatched.dll from the tools folder. When I browse it, I don't see it either. I feel like such a numbskull, sorry for all this mess.

Can you zip up and attach the DLL file you're using? I'd like to see if I can diagnose this one myself.

sullivan26

Jan 20, 2008
I'm confused by the above statement. Can you clarify?

Is your ZIP code in the XML file, or the international format?

Just trying to get this diagnosed.

Using 38401 as my zip code. You said NOT to use the international one, as it differs from the American one. Plus I've never seen a zip code written like that over here. Am I doing it wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    just tried the schen n2a patched .cab .
    htc home is there (although it starts a bit slower) but
    i cannot choose a city in the list (there are no entrys, it is empty)

also, there are so many files attached in your first post,
    but there are only two ways described. one of these cabs or what is called pocket hosts method.
    i didnt like both, but then used the kaiser withough brightness fix (for what? brightness? what needs to be fixed?)
    i was afraid, because there is no description how you can go back to the original htc home plugin, if those custom ones woudlnt work.

eg: what are those HTCHome dlls
    or the weathertranslator.zip
    for ?

ritterkeks

As I described on the first post, the weathertranslator.zip is the server code which translates the accuweather data - most users don't need it. If you have a kaiser, you don't need the brightness patch. If you have another device, you probably do need the brightness patch. It's one of the buttons on the Launcher. And if you've already got a HTC Home plugin installed in ROM, you just need to remove the new one and it'll revert.

I thought I quite clearly described it to be honest, and pretty much everything is covered over the posts. I'll see about creating a Wiki entry about all this.
    I installed the Kaiser DLL patch on my tilt and now after the reboot it goes to owner information screen then goes black. Then green and blue lights at the top flash but I can't get it to do anything. If I reset it, I have the same result.

I was able to enter bootloader and reflash the rom. Held down camera button and used the stylus to push the little reset button next to usb port. Then ran rom updater as normal

Same issue here flashed twice already.

Hope there's a fix