[GUIDE] Installing CM7 nightly, GPS FIX *Update 7/30*, Kernels, and Camera app

Search This thread

barribow

Sep 1, 2010
Boston, MA
I took the files from the GPS fix that jwleonhart gave out and put them in a CWM flashable - get it here. Much easier process - just download, reboot to recovery, and flash. It'll install all the GPS files and set proper permissions.

I flashed that one too, it seems that I am missing something. Because I don't even get the icon of the satellite in the notification area, when I turn on GPS.
Still it's the same as before.
I will flash another nightly and will try this again.

sebastianwfh

Feb 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
late adopter of the CM7 nightly...it's really a wonderful ROM
would like to ask, do we have to back up everything whenever we are updating to new nightly rom?

zencoran

Jan 5, 2011
late adopter of the CM7 nightly...it's really a wonderful ROM
would like to ask, do we have to back up everything whenever we are updating to new nightly rom?

i havent installed cm7 yet, becuase im doing this on my friends vibrant, but on my current phone(moto defy) my sisters phone (htc mt3gs) and my other friends phone(lg optimus)all on cm7, u just wipe cache and dalvik cache before flashing new nightly. Make a backup if your still unsure. BTW JWLEONHART, YOU ARE A GOD, THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS THREAD. <3

Reactions: sebastianwfh

Yinkavelli

Aug 1, 2011
Delaware
Hey guys, is it common for incoming calls to not ring with cm7? I have searched and searched and I see issues with calls going straight to voicemail but I have an issue with my custom or stock ringtones just not ringing, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sebastianwfh

Feb 20, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
anyone installed #84??
i installed it yesterday and at nite during sleep, the battery drop by 50%
i rebooted it and monitoring the batt life....:mad::confused:

but i must say #84 is dope...its the fastest nightly:D

p()()pypants

Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for this guide, great reference.

Wondered if I could get pointed in the direction of the hardware fix for the gps though as no matter what I do no gps fix works past the first lock...

Willing to take further measures now.

Wesie

Oct 9, 2009
Munich
One question:
On the nightly bind CM7 (161) , I've only make following steps

4)
Go to the GPSFix2 folder on your SD card, then go to /data/gps/ and copy secgps file

Now go to to your phones root directory, and go to /data/gps and paste the secgps file in there

5)Now there are two other files to copy:

Go to the GPSFIX2 folder, then go to /system/bin/ and copy the AGPSD file

Go to the phones root directory and go to /system/bin/ and paste the AGPSD file in that directory

Lastly, go back to the GPSFIX2 folder, and go into /system/etc/ and copy the GPS file

Go to the phones root directory again, and go to /system/etc/ and paste the GPS file in there!

6)Now we need to copy the file from GPSD.ZIP (Make sure to unzip the file!!)

Copy the file from the GPSD folder, into: \system\vendor\bin\ the same way you did the other GPS Fix files.

7)Download AngryGPS file located here: http://xdaforums.com/atta...3&d=1310879457

8) Install ANGRYGPS.APK, once installed go to your apps and open up AngryGPS. Go to:

Settings - General Settings - Change Operation Mode from MSBASED to STANDALONE. Once done, hit the home key.

Non of the add. files from the 2 zip files was available.
GPS is working (but its need time to found the Satellites and look to them)

For what does I need another kernel?

learn2swim96

Feb 5, 2011
Spring, Texas
The phone I currently have is a refurbished replacement of one that I broke. The GPS on the broken one always worked well but the GPS on the refurb never worked worth a crap. The process in the OP totally fixed my GPS issues. I'm on CM7 and am having AWESOME GPS service!! Thank you so much for posting this!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those STILL having GPS problems after trying to fix, go to bottom of post!! Included is a pic of a lock I was getting indoors with 17ft. accuracy.

So i've seen alot of people asking questions constantly about installing CM7, what is required to do so, and how to install all the fixes and different kernels. I'm hoping that by putting this thread up it will help anyone with questions so it will make installation and modification a breeze.

So first... You're going to need to pick up the latest nightly of CyanogenMod 7.

Here is the link to the thread on our forum:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1061889

and here is a direct link to download the latest nightly:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=vibrantmtd

Currently the latest nightly is #69. (if you are curious to know what is changed in each nightly here is a link to the changelog: http://cm-nightlies.appspot.com/?device=vibrantmtd )

Copy the file to your internal sd card, then reboot into CWM. (If you don't have ClockworkMod installed, go to the market and download ROM Manager, then once installed open the program and install ClockworkMod Recovery for Vibrant MTD.

Once in CWM, just flash the zip file as you normally would anything else (go to Install ZIP from sd card, then choose ZIP and find the file, then hit yes to update)

Once done you should have successfully installed CM7, reboot and wait for the phone to load up.

At this point the install is done, and you can enjoy CM7, but unfortunatly your GPS won't work and battery life will be horrible... so now you must install the fixes.

:D:D
    First, download the Kernel. You can use either Bali-X found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1181167

or Glitch, found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041532

For The Glitch Kernel there are 3 different versions. LL, ML, or HL. To be on the safe side HL is usually the most stable for people.

Download whichever kernel you please and also copy that to your phones internal sd card.

:cool::cool:
    Next download the Kernel Cleaning Script, direct link to download here:

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=628968&d=1308402560

:eek::eek:
    Now after you've downloaded the kernel you wanted and the cleaning script, your also going to want the GPS fix, direct link to thread below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1172428

First lets fix the GPS before applying the kernel, here is a quick step by step:

GPS Fix! Update 7/30

Download the GPSFIX2.ZIP file and GPSD.ZIP file located at the bottom of my post (Make sure you unzip the file) and copy it to your SD card

2)Download a root file explorer like Root Explorer (not free) or ES File Explorer (free) in the market. If you use ES File explorer you must do the following to be able to change the system files:

FOR THOSE USING ES FILE EXPLORER
    Open up ES File Explorer, in there hit your Menu key, then go to Settings.

Scroll down to till you see "Root Settings".

Under there you will see Root Explorer and Mount File System, check both of them, then hit the back button.

4)Once in the file manager, go to your root directory then go here: (if you know how to use file explorer or ADB you can simply copy the files to the corresponding locations and restart the phone if not keep following)

Go to the GPSFix2 folder on your SD card, then go to /data/gps/ and copy secgps file

Now go to to your phones root directory, and go to /data/gps and paste the secgps file in there

5)Now there are two other files to copy:

Go to the GPSFIX2 folder, then go to /system/bin/ and copy the AGPSD file

Go to the phones root directory and go to /system/bin/ and paste the AGPSD file in that directory

Lastly, go back to the GPSFIX2 folder, and go into /system/etc/ and copy the GPS file

Go to the phones root directory again, and go to /system/etc/ and paste the GPS file in there!

6)Now we need to copy the file from GPSD.ZIP (Make sure to unzip the file!!)

Copy the file from the GPSD folder, into: \system\vendor\bin\ the same way you did the other GPS Fix files.

7)Download AngryGPS file located here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=657133&d=1310879457

8) Install ANGRYGPS.APK, once installed go to your apps and open up AngryGPS. Go to:

Settings - General Settings - Change Operation Mode from MSBASED to STANDALONE. Once done, hit the home key.

As long as you've copied all the files, restart your phone and try things out!

Now your GPS should be working, but we still need to install the new kernel. Hopefully you've downloaded one of the two kernels listed above and copied them to your internal zip folder.

:D:cool::eek::confused:

Finally, lets apply the kernel. Hold your power key and hit reboot phone, then a menu will appear, to either reboot or recovery, hit recovery (duh!).

Once in recovery you are going to want to apply the Kernel Cleaner script first. Go to apply update from zip, then choose zip file, then choose the kernel cleaner script... Once you've done that, go to choose zip again, and choose your kernel. DO NOT REBOOT INBETWEEN THIS PROCESS!!!!!

Let the kernel install, once done go ahead and reboot the phone.

If all went well within about 5 minutes your phone should be up and running again.

;)

The last thing your going to need to do is install GAPPS, since CM7 obviously comes with none. You'll notice you have no market. :confused:

Here is the latest GAPPS, The zip is a flashable file through ClockWorkMod. Just go into clockwork, and find zip and install it like you did the rom and kernel. Reboot and you will have your market and GApps back.

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

OVERCLOCKING AND UNDERVOLTING

You have to follow the instructions for either Glitch or Bali kernel here. SetCPU will NOT work for Glitch, and Voltage Control will NOT work for Bali.

OPTIONAL FOR GLITCH KERNEL (Bali below)

If you want to adjust CPU Voltage AND/OR Clock Frequency you are going to need to download VOLTAGE CONTROL from the Market. It is free as well. Make sure you use Voltage Control. Other cpu programs have been reported to have problems from what i've read.

If you are not sure what you are doing, then ask!

Here is my voltage control settings, this seems to be the best for stability:

Here are my settings in Voltage Control

1300: 1400mv -0mv = 1400
    1200: 1350mv -0mv = 1350
    1000: 1250mv -25mv = 1225
    800: 1200mv -50mv = 1150
    400: 1050mv -75mv = 975
    200: 950mv -75mv = 875
    100: 950mv -100mv = 850

:):)

OPTIONAL FOR BALI KERNEL

You must install SetCPU, which is available from the market, but is not free.

You can also download it here directly from for FREE, copy it to your SD Card and install the apk:

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=648354&d=1310073004

I'm not sure of good overclocking/undervolt settings on the Bali kernel as I haven't fooled around with it more than to know that it works well with CM7.

**If someone has fooled with it please post up some results so I may put them here for recommendations.**

KNOWN ISSUES

Currently the Glitch V11 has a bug where the keyboard can pop up on random occasions. This will be fixed in V12. It's not a big deal.
    :mad::mad:

Replacement Camera

In my post i've includedthe MIUI Camera APK.

You can just copy the MIUICamera.apk file to your SD card and install it. You will be able to use both the MIUI camera and the stock camera. The only problem is the video recorder of the MIUI camera doesn't record 720p. For that switch to the AOSP camera.

:eek::rolleyes:

Hopefully taking some time to write this up can help alot of you follow a straight set of instructions instead of having to bounce around and look from topic to topic on what to do.

I'll continue to check on this thread and make sure if anyone has any questions I will try to help and answer them.
    Thanks,i did flash Glitch HL kernel,and latest nightly,but i have some questions,can i do gps fix later(after flashing kernel),and i found that my cpu`s max is still set on 1000Mhz,like in stock cm7 stock kernel,so is it necessary to change it(for example to 1200Mhz)for better battery life?
    And again thank a lot for posting this,you hepled me greatly and spared a lot of time in searching

You can do the GPS fix whenever you please. Just remember that everytime you flash a new nightly of CM7 you're going to have to apply the GPSD file again... Everytime you flash a new nightly it wipes all the old system data, GPSD is unfortunatly one of the casualties.

What program are you using for adjust your CPU frequency? You should be using this:

-Voltage Control : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=829731

If you want to gain more battery life you shouldn't be increasing to 1.2GHz, that will not help your battery life any.

If anything leave it at the stock 1GHz frequency and apply undervolt to the processor... of course you will have to do some testing because undervolting can cause stability and lockup/reboots.

Here are my undervolt settings, so far no locks-up on this combo for about a week now:

Here are my settings in Voltage Control

1300: 1400mv -0mv = 1400mv
    1200: 1350mv -0mv = 1350mv
    1000: 1250mv -25mv = 1225mv
    800: 1200mv -50mv = 1150mv
    400: 1050mv -75mv = 975mv
    200: 950mv -75mv = 875mv
    100: 950mv -100mv = 850mv

Im running High Leak, using this daily at 1300mhz no problems yet... Running a good movie on your phone, like an mkv file will really let you know if your settings are stable.. I've found undervolting anything over the stock freq. doesn't seem to be stable.

Does this help you any??
    No, you can install a kernel on whatever nightly of CM7 you want. It's just best to have the latest nightly. I do remember hearing some of the earlier nightlys of CM7 like lower 30's were having trouble with different kernels...

Just remember that if you flash a new nightly you will have to fix the GPS and Kernel again though.

Everytime you update to a new nightly it deletes everything unfortunatly.
    Before of this:
    I was in Froyo 2.2
    Axura 2.0.4
    stock kernel
    900 in Quadrant apk

WOW nice guide, i did everything and this is my results...

CM7 number 60 with stock kernel i did 1700 in quadrant apk

CM7 number 60 with Glitch kernel, CPU Voltage at 1500 MAX, ONDEMAND
    i did 2500 in quadrant apk

HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!

BUT I didnt test in normal use.. lets hope no reboots or something weird!
    And lets hope a good battery life..!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I did GPS Guide, but the first time a GPS Icon appears and blink normally but no sign of lock any satellite..
    Reboot
    And I click GPS ON
    GPStest but no Icon blinking and no satellite neither..

Any ideas?

Alright, for anyone still having problems, I have replaced 3 files and rezipped up CM7 and put a link on my main page and posting it below.

This is nightly #56, and I just tried it myself. Got lock in less than 30 seconds, everytime, and i've rebooted the phone 4 times now... Hopefully, hopefully this will show some results.

http://www.multiupload.com/98J3KCHAKB

There is the link, just copy it to SD and rebooting into CWM and install it...

Someone please post back and let me know results. Use GPSTest, and see if you are locking though... Try a few reboots, etc.
    I found this, you may like this. I just tried it, just download the APK file, and then install the apk. It doesn't replace you're default camera, so you will have both.

Thats the MIUI camera.

Only thing I noticed that doesn't work is 720p video recording, but in that case you can just switch back to the stock camera, and record through there so it's win-win.

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=644355&d=1309681613

You can also check out camera apps on the market, although most kinda stink unless you just wanna do cool things with your photos. :D