[Q] 2.2 or above View Quest Slate 2

Search This thread

pagdodd

Jul 6, 2007
Can anybody please advise how to install 2.2 or above on a ViewQuest Slate 2?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

marli

Jan 19, 2009
I have one of these.
I'm qute happy with 2.1 and would be quite happy to stay howeer there are few things that really annoy me.
the first is the touch sensitive buttons. They have a haptic feedback I can't turn off.
second is there is somthing that keeps coming to life and draining the battery.
The third is there isnt a market, but I'm using androzip to copy over programs from my phone so not a major problem.

If these problems can be resolved I'm happy to stay on 2.1 id love flash but I suspect my cpu isn't supported.

I'm prepared to try any experiments.

raganius

Oct 9, 2011
Quickview Slate2 / a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 firmware upgrade

I have found your post and I found that my 8" View Quest Slate2
viewquest.co.uk/shop-product-detail.php?pID=6

Telechips 8902 (720MHz) ARM11
8" Transflective Capacitive Screen
Multi-touch
800 x 600 Resolution
Google Android 2.1 OS
Built-in 1W Speaker
360 Degree G-Sensor
1080P HDMI Output
256Mb SDRAM
2GB Internal Storage
Micro-SD Card Slot
USB 2.0 High Speed OTG
4500mAh - 5 Hours Battery Life

and a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 WiFi
a-rival.de/de/a-rival-pad/a-rival-pad-80.html

Prozessor Telechip CPU 800Mhz
Betriebssystem Android 2.1
Speicher 8 GB interner Speicher, 256 MB RAM
Gewicht max. 600g
Digitale Speicherkarte Micro SD-Card slot, max. 32GB
Display 8" Kapazitives Dual-Touch Display
Auflösung 800 X 600 Pixel (Seitenverhältnis 4:3)
LAN WiFi WLAN 802.11b/g
GPS integrierter 42 Kanal GPS-Empfänger
Anschlüsse 1080p HDMI-Anschluss, USB-Anschluss, Kopfhörer-Anschluss
Audio eingebauter Lautsprecher und Mikrofon
Tasten 4 Hardkeys für die wichtigsten Schnellzugriffe
G-Sensor 360° G-Sensor (Lagesensor für Spiele und Bildrotation)

Akku 4.500 mAh Li-Akku
Software Umfangreiche Apps und Navigationssoftware Maptrip Android mit Kartenmaterial D-A-CH vorinstalliert

have the same specifications, Android version 2.1 Eclair & build description contains EM83 in both devices and they look identical! When I connect mine to Windows 7 PC and set the mode on tablet that I could reach its internal storage, in the device manager properties for USB device you can find name MID EM83 and EM83 is also mentioned in the Build description of both these tablets. I think MID EM83 is the clue to find the real manufacturer of this 8" tablet with Telechips 8902 CPU. I have searched google and read slatedroid.com & androidtablets.net but I couldn't find who is the real manufacturer or confirmed working Android 2.2 or 2.3 firmware or custom firmware ROM's. Maybe you, a person who reads this post, know? I thought it is obvious that ViewQuest Slate 8 & a-rival NAV-PA80 have been made by the same manufacturer and I tried to update ViewQuest with update provided by a-rival for NAV-PA80/NAV-PA83
a-rival.de/de/downloads/category/23-update-2-fr-a-rival-pad-80-83.html
to update my 8" View Quest Slate2 AND IT WORKED!!!. I believe this proves that they both are made by the same manufacturer or on the same platform designed for Telechips 8902 CPU. I am sure that there are other users who have 8" tablet with Telechips 890x CPU like ViewQuest Slate2 or a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 who do search for modified firmware ROM's to update their device from Android 2.1 to 2.2 or even 2.3 version. If you know were to find these custom ROM's - please let us know!

Attachments

• Opera-Background-Clouds.jpg
    Opera-Background-Clouds.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 78

boroboy2020

Oct 17, 2011
I have found your post and I found that my 8" View Quest Slate2
viewquest.co.uk/shop-product-detail.php?pID=6

Telechips 8902 (720MHz) ARM11
8" Transflective Capacitive Screen
Multi-touch
800 x 600 Resolution
Google Android 2.1 OS
Built-in 1W Speaker
360 Degree G-Sensor
1080P HDMI Output
256Mb SDRAM
2GB Internal Storage
Micro-SD Card Slot
USB 2.0 High Speed OTG
4500mAh - 5 Hours Battery Life

and a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 WiFi
a-rival.de/de/a-rival-pad/a-rival-pad-80.html

Prozessor Telechip CPU 800Mhz
Betriebssystem Android 2.1
Speicher 8 GB interner Speicher, 256 MB RAM
Gewicht max. 600g
Digitale Speicherkarte Micro SD-Card slot, max. 32GB
Display 8" Kapazitives Dual-Touch Display
Auflösung 800 X 600 Pixel (Seitenverhältnis 4:3)
LAN WiFi WLAN 802.11b/g
GPS integrierter 42 Kanal GPS-Empfänger
Anschlüsse 1080p HDMI-Anschluss, USB-Anschluss, Kopfhörer-Anschluss
Audio eingebauter Lautsprecher und Mikrofon
Tasten 4 Hardkeys für die wichtigsten Schnellzugriffe
G-Sensor 360° G-Sensor (Lagesensor für Spiele und Bildrotation)

Akku 4.500 mAh Li-Akku
Software Umfangreiche Apps und Navigationssoftware Maptrip Android mit Kartenmaterial D-A-CH vorinstalliert

have the same specifications, Android version 2.1 Eclair & build description contains EM83 in both devices and they look identical! When I connect mine to Windows 7 PC and set the mode on tablet that I could reach its internal storage, in the device manager properties for USB device you can find name MID EM83 and EM83 is also mentioned in the Build description of both these tablets. I think MID EM83 is the clue to find the real manufacturer of this 8" tablet with Telechips 8902 CPU. I have searched google and read slatedroid.com & androidtablets.net but I couldn't find who is the real manufacturer or confirmed working Android 2.2 or 2.3 firmware or custom firmware ROM's. Maybe you, a person who reads this post, know? I thought it is obvious that ViewQuest Slate 8 & a-rival NAV-PA80 have been made by the same manufacturer and I tried to update ViewQuest with update provided by a-rival for NAV-PA80/NAV-PA83
a-rival.de/de/downloads/category/23-update-2-fr-a-rival-pad-80-83.html
to update my 8" View Quest Slate2 AND IT WORKED!!!. I believe this proves that they both are made by the same manufacturer or on the same platform designed for Telechips 8902 CPU. I am sure that there are other users who have 8" tablet with Telechips 890x CPU like ViewQuest Slate2 or a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 who do search for modified firmware ROM's to update their device from Android 2.1 to 2.2 or even 2.3 version. If you know were to find these custom ROM's - please let us know!

every thread I find relating to this bloody view quest slate I find you have copied and pasted the same feckin reply,

I notice you have installed custom firmware on yours, what custom firmware did you use and have you got a DIRECT link to download it (not a link to the 125 page thread elsewhere) and what instructions did you use?

With the custom firmware you are using, do you have access to the android market? (the official google one)

raganius

Oct 9, 2011
CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 5 for Slate2 / a-rival PAD NAV-PA80

Hello! I have used CyanogenMod 7/ClockworkMod Recovery 5 firmware modified by Fun_ for a-rival PAD NAV-PA80 because it is the same device as Slate2. You can find instructions here :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1101094
or files & instructions here:
http://androtab.info/telechips/firmwares - owned by firmware developer Fun_

I was following these instructions. So the sequence was:

Preparation1.
Go to androtab.info/telechips/firmwares.
Find a-rival PAD NAV-PA80/83 capacitive
Download
a.) Stock recovery backup tool - dump-recovery-signed.zip
b.) ClockworkMod Recovery 5 - arival80-recovery-signed.zip
c.) CyanogenMod 7 - arival80-cyanogen-signed.zip
Be sure it is for NAV-PA80/83 if you want it to use it on your Slate2 - I have used this firmware and I can confirm that it worked.

Preparation2. Entering recovery mode. To enter recovery mode hold 'volume-' button and holding 'power' button till you see Android robot - then release 'volume-' button. You are in stock recovery mode now. Use VOL- =next(down), VOL+ =prev(up), POWER=select, BACK=back)

1. Backup of stock recovery
* How to make backup of stock recovery
A. copy dump-recovery-signed.zip to root of SD card (e.g. /sdcard/update.zip)
and rename it to update.zip
B. install update.zip from stock recovery

2. Install ClockworkMod Recovery 5
* How to install ClockworkMod Recovery 5
Be sure to make backup of stock recovery before installing ClockworkMod Recovery 5!

A. Copy arival80-recovery-signed.zip to root of SD card and rename it to install update.zip
B. Start in stock recovery mode, install update.zip
Next time you boot into recovery mode clockworkmod will be booted.

3.make backup of stock ROM
Use buttons to select 'backup' option

4.wipe out / factory reset
if this is your first time when you are using modified Cyanogen firmware it is recommended that you wipe out/factory reset your tablet. Assume that all settings will be deleted, all personal data will be lost.
Use buttons to select 'wipe out/factory reset' option

5.install Cyanogen modified firmware
A.Copy arival80-cyanogen-signed.zip (CyanogenMod 7) to root of the SD card
B.Start recovery mode - ClockworkMod Recovery 5 should start.
C.Select to install arival80-cyanogen-signed.zip
Please be patient - there is no indication light for CPU activity
If you can see that process completed successfully, but you can't move to the restart option - restart the tablet with hardware reset button located near 'power' button. If you can move in the menu select 'restart'

6. touchscreen calibration
The first you have to do when the CyanogenMod7 firmware boots is to calibrate your screen - it is best that you do it in the first time - it saves time & brain cells.
7. if you have problems / suggestions or ideas please post them here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1101094

Regarding android market you have to download & install vending.apk for it to work. There are different Android Market versions. You need to do research to find out differences between them.

Last edited:

hankhandsome

Jul 7, 2010
just worked out how to get into recovery .. so here goes

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

all done - and it works fine. few oddities here and there with a brief play, but i need to re-charge it properly so i'll have a good go later on.

rooted as well so i'll copy my titanium backup folder across from my phone and see what works.

just need to work out which model it is on rom backup so i can download google apps as well. will update as i find out stuff - there seems to be little information about this particular tablet about so it might help someone i guess :)

edit:

bit of a bugbear already - appears, on the face of it, to lock up the device if the screen goes to sleep - have to do a full reset. will see if that's turn-off-able ..

hankhandsome

Jul 7, 2010
quick update.

angry birds works, but is a bit jerky. i imagine if it had a 'low graphics' option it would actually work quite well. it also takes an age to load.

fruit slice works well, as does robo defense - even zoomed in it runs quickly and looks pretty good.

homerun battle 3d works well as well, even without (i think) a decent accelerometer.

xpectroid spectrum emulator works well.

got a ton of apk's to install to try so will update later

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

you don't appear to be able to move things to the sd card either, so the 256mb internal memory does fill up very, very quickly.

also, quite a few apps start upside down - literally. not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it's a pain :)

if you want to add apps to the screens, you have to manually add them as shortcuts->applications then select which one.

angry birds rio works quite well

plants v zombies doesn't work

kindle works well enough. swipe to turn pages is a little laggy, but is fine.

youtube app doesn't work.

facebook and twitter work well - widgets work well on screen.

gmail app doesn't work, probably because market app also doesn't work

more later

Later:

Latest version of the official facebook app didn't actually work and get FC'ing. Trying 1.7.1 and it appears to work ok .. so far

Last edited:

DesirableHTC

Jul 4, 2010
Leeds
quick update.

angry birds works, but is a bit jerky. i imagine if it had a 'low graphics' option it would actually work quite well. it also takes an age to load.

fruit slice works well, as does robo defense - even zoomed in it runs quickly and looks pretty good.

homerun battle 3d works well as well, even without (i think) a decent accelerometer.

xpectroid spectrum emulator works well.

got a ton of apk's to install to try so will update later

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

you don't appear to be able to move things to the sd card either, so the 256mb internal memory does fill up very, very quickly.

also, quite a few apps start upside down - literally. not the worst thing in the world, but sometimes it's a pain :)

if you want to add apps to the screens, you have to manually add them as shortcuts->applications then select which one.

angry birds rio works quite well

plants v zombies doesn't work

kindle works well enough. swipe to turn pages is a little laggy, but is fine.

youtube app doesn't work.

facebook and twitter work well - widgets work well on screen.

gmail app doesn't work, probably because market app also doesn't work

more later

Later:

Latest version of the official facebook app didn't actually work and get FC'ing. Trying 1.7.1 and it appears to work ok .. so far
I have just got one of these today, i am wanting to root this thing as i just can't cope with it as is!

Just to ask, once i get this rooted, will i be able to access the android market?

Mistkäfervertreiber

Jan 7, 2011
Überlingen
Hi,
I´m a german a-rival pad 80 user and running CM7 from fun_ with google market.
You can find the gapps here at the end of the site.
Use Google Apps Version for CyanogenMod 7. To install gapps you have to put the "gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip" on your SD-card, then go to the ClockworkMod Recovery and chose install zip from sdcard.

If you want put your apps to SD you must use Link2SD, it works well with the latest build.

If you have any questions you can also post at Android Hilfe in english.

bye
Thorsten

please forgive my bad english