Cases / Shells - what're you getting / reviews:

Search This thread

PJASchultz

Mar 29, 2011
NC
I just ordered the Amzer case and put it on my phone. It's ok. Not as rubbery as I had hoped. No real world experience yet to tell if it stays on when dropped, etc.
When you say "generic black one" do you mean Amazon ASIN: B005DRWBZC? (Sorry, can't post links.)
If so, I also ordered it but it hasn't arrived yet. I can report back in a few days.

Yes. I am still deciding on which one to buy. Let us know it is compared to the Amzer one!

The OEM generic black case is crap. Typical cheap hard plastic with a tiny amount of rubberized flocking on it to make it not shiny and slippery. I didn't even take the time to try it on. Immediately threw it out. Amzer case isn't great, but it's at least passable.

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

I forgot to mention that the trident case is a hard shell casing, similar to the otterbox commuter. The silicon layer is under the hard outer shell encasing. This type of padding is only used for the bottom half of the phone. The top half is just a hard frame around the phones screen.

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. For some reason I was thinking it was rubbery-er. Does it at least have some grip to it, or is it more glossy, slippery like?

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Okay - i'm excited!

Just got home a little bit ago, and though I have to run right back out, I stole some time to play with my new case (at the expense of dinner...) because it finally came in today.

First impressions: Packaging is attractive, and once open it comes with screen protector, screen-cleaning cloth, a 4-pole extension piece for the headphones jack and the case (and some very short paperwork).

The case is 3 parts, as listed above, outer for the top, inner soft rubber for the bottom, and outer not-as-soft rubber for the bottom.

Compared to the hard-shell case I have, it's much more bouncy, definitely can't classify the trident as a hard case compared to that - but it's not very flexible, like a gel-type case would be.

Since I can't bend the outer-case very far (and we're talking small distance here) without being pretty postive it'll break, I suppose it has to be considered a hard case after all. Sorry if this seems like a mixed opinion here, it's definitely not a gel-type case.

The color is nice, darn close to my favorite color of green - and green is my favorite color.

I like the fact that the part that covers the speaker (where you would listen to a phone call from) is a shield, preventing stuff from getting in the speaker. Ditto for the bottom half over the two speakers on the bottom of the phone.

The power port for usb is still uncovered...as is the headphones jack. So we've almost got a winner here, I would have liked for something covering both of those ports. I have a piece that fits in the headphones jack, which you can see in one of my pictures below (came on a stylus - check them out on amazon and you'll find one)...but I still have no solution for covering the open usb jack.

I have no idea why there are two tiny cutouts on the upper piece right above where the volume buttons are...this perplexes me. ( edit again - figured it out. When you hit caps or alt on the keyboard, it leaves space to show the light that lights up when the keyboard is slid out.)

The power button, volume buttons, and camera button are covered with the bottom rubber insert piece, and they all press fine and work well. No issues with the way they are covered.

And of course...it doesn't fit in the old pouch I had for it (was for the flip camcorder) so I got a new one, it's a kodak. Wanted to move to something a little bigger so I didn't have to take a micro-camera case around with me for my cables and memory cards anymore. The kodak case still fits in my pocket, so win all around.

In closing:

I love the trident case, if it had something to cover the usb port i'd love it even more. If by some misfortune the phone gets dropped or banged, it won't take the same amount of jarring abuse, and the shock will be much, much more distributed and absorbed by the case.

I didn't use the screen protector it came with, the one I already have on it is a privacy filter which I much prefer.

ETA:

The first picture shows the trident case next to the old hard-shell case, with the phone above and a pen in-between for size guage.

Also - fits in the t-mobile universal car cradle that I have, and doesn't fall out - as the prior case also allowed the phone to do.

Hmmm, that's unfortunate. For some reason I was thinking it was rubbery-er. Does it at least have some grip to it, or is it more glossy, slippery like?

Both glossy & grippy. Won't slide across my desk when I push it because of the black piece that is exposed from the rubber insert, but if I turn it on it's face it slides easy when it's just the exterior case touching.

Yet another edit:

Just spent the last half hour playing castlevania:symphony of the night on a psx emulator, no overheating issues (on an anker battery too - keep this in mind)

This is and will probably always remain my biggest concern with any case for the phone, and while it's probably too early to tell for sure, so far so good. Just wanted to get a preliminary out there about it, and i'll post up a followup to this in a few days if no issues, or a reply sooner if there are.

Figured i'd edit it in instead of making a new reply, since no one else has said anything since my posting.

Last edited:

PJASchultz

Mar 29, 2011
NC
Thanks for the full review, and pics. I don't mind if it is a hard case base, as long as it has good grip and good shock absorption. I think you've sold me on the Trident.

Crkr

Sep 3, 2010
I just got my Trident today. From going with no case on the phone I am very happy with my choice. I got it in 2 days with free shipping and it feels sturdy to me.

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
Question for Blue6IX:

You mention you bought green. The only green I saw listed at DayDeal was Ballistic Green but your pictures don't appear to be that color. Did you find another green or do your pictures not show true color?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Pictures were taken from a digital camera I bought at circuit city - around 2006

They are just washed out, true color is very close to the amazon depiction of color at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-AG-MT...le-apps&ie=UTF8&qid=1319912512&sr=1-1-catcorr

Mine is ballistic green, they only offer a few colors, and that's the green option.

I'll definitely be picking up one of these (in the same color) for my Nook Color now, i'm sold - never had an interest in otterbox, and don't care if they ever make one for our phone or not (sorry to the fans of otterbox).

My next step is to apply a screen protector to the back of the screen half of the phone. I'm thinking i'll cut one out to fit around the slide channels. I've been eyeing it up and I think I can get one to fit without crushing the keys on the keyboard - not too sure yet, but gonna try sometime soon.

Also, something to add, this trident case won't scratch the back of the screen half of the phone, like another person posted up about the HTC hard-shell case. Which is a crap case, but all we had until recently.

As far as i'm concerned, my case search is over, I don't think i'll be able to find something better then this.

I am, however, looking at the hard-shell otterbox waterproof cases as something to put the phone into, not as an actual case to wrap it in.

Link to otter cases i'm talking about:
http://www.otterbox.com/otterbox-2000-cases/otterbox-2000-cases,default,sc.html

After measuring the trident case ( 2" 10/16th wide, 5" 1/16th long, 12/16th thick - in inches) it seems it'll fit in the 2000 case with some room to spare, might be able to fit both usb and rca cables in with it and have it all be waterproof.

Picture of random green stuff: (if this helps? lol)

left is an olive drab duffle bag, it's a forest green cushion it's on, the ruler is a dollar store green ruler...probably find one near you...dunno...just random green.

Attachments

• RandomGreen.jpg
    RandomGreen.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

frozenfyre

May 19, 2007
Purchased the OEM MT4GS Case - review

I was looking for a case for an alternative to a plastic case that snaps on because they scrape the side of the phone, as well as the backside of the part that slides. I purchased the one that was recommended in this thread found at the htc website. Can't post links yet, but just look for OEM HTC mytouch4g slide case.

You can also purchase it on letstalk.com, as well as a couple of other sites.

This case is excellent looking. Its white, with a carbon fiber looking backing. It also doesnt SNAP on, which perfectly suits me. The top and bottom pieces link together and end up sliding in and out of each other, and thats how the case doesn't come off. Of course this casing probably won't protect your phone from serious drops, but as far as all around placing the phone down, small drops, or keys + phone in your pocket, you'll be in pretty good hands.

Letstalk.com has a coupon as well, so I ended up paying $12-13 bucks for it.

Going to get one for my girlfriend too, but probably in a different color.

Reactions: quicklee

quicklee

Aug 30, 2011
California
Do you mind posting some pictures of the case from Letstalk? I am curious to how it looks on the front and how it attaches to the phone.

gtny930

Oct 14, 2010
Trident

For all that thanked me for finding this case, you are all welcome. I have been using my red case for over a week and it is well worth the money.

Last weekend I had my phone on my bed and ripped my sheets off by an accident. I panicked when my phone went airborne and landed across the room on my tile floor. When I picked up my phone there was not a thing wrong with the case or phone. #Winning

Both reviews of this case are 99% accurate. Great job Watahboi on your review and pictures. However I have absolutely no issues with a "g" button being hit when I slide out the keyboard. The case does cover the Fn and caps led (minor issue). If you tilt the keyboard you can see them. Shipping said 3- 9 days and it came fast. I ordered on Thursday and it was in my mailbox on Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: levp

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
I received my Trident Case today in Balistic Green. It's a nice case and other reviewers before me already did and outstanding job detailing this one. However, one thing I'm noticing is that unlike most other cases out there, this one covers up the little hole to the left side of the camera lens. I think that is a sensor for the camera. They did leave some holes in the case around that area but I'm not sure it's directly above on the one I installed. I may have to research further to find out how important that is to be unobstructed and update this post later.

Edit:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the backside Illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor (a light sensor?) The Trident case has a series of holes above and around the sensor but the holes also have a screen over them. Is this a smart idea? Should we maybe remove that screen at lease from the trident case?

Hey Blue6IX.. You have this case, what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: gtny930

wiswis

Aug 17, 2011
are ther any cases that cover the charger port because dust is coming in from there

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I received my Trident Case today in Balistic Green. It's a nice case and other reviewers before me already did and outstanding job detailing this one. However, one thing I'm noticing is that unlike most other cases out there, this one covers up the little hole to the left side of the camera lens. I think that is a sensor for the camera. They did leave some holes in the case around that area but I'm not sure it's directly above on the one I installed. I may have to research further to find out how important that is to be unobstructed and update this post later.

Edit:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the backside Illuminated (BSI) CMOS sensor (a light sensor?) The Trident case has a series of holes above and around the sensor but the holes also have a screen over them. Is this a smart idea? Should we maybe remove that screen at lease from the trident case?

Hey Blue6IX.. You have this case, what do you think?

To be honest, i'm not sure. I don't use the camera very much, and when I do it's been for shooting pictures of merchandising resets in-store, which have to be taken small enough to email. They're done under good lighting, always plenty of illumination when working in a store.

I played with the camera a bit when I first got it, but it's one of the less-used features of the device for me. If I didn't have to take pictures from time to time for work, it would hardly ever get used.

I suppose now i'll have to get around to taking a whole mess of control pictures, both with the case on and with it off, then dumping them in to photoshop to examine the differences and see how the quality changes, if at all.

There is only one hardware entry for a light sensor on the device, unless that is something buried in the code for the camera itself...so not too sure what to say about it yet.

Definitely bears investigation, since most people seem to be focused on the camera when it comes to this device. I'm intrigued by the question, and am curious to know what the answer is.

Glad you got your case in, hope you like it!

Edit:

If the sensor is affected by the screen, then removing it will probably help reduce the issue - but no matter what you'll lose a bit of ambient light that gets to it - if in fact that is what it is.

Wish we had a serious blow-by-blow teardown somewhere. I'm really, really wanting to get one...almost willing to take my phone completely apart and then just file an insurance claim to get a new one. The kind of taking apart that is would leave the phone in a 'will never work again' state...i've just grown so attached to this specific one I would really miss it.

Last edited:

siani_8

Dec 13, 2009
Bristol, PA
Wish we had a serious blow-by-blow teardown somewhere. I'm really, really wanting to get one...almost willing to take my phone completely apart and then just file an insurance claim to get a new one. The kind of taking apart that is would leave the phone in a 'will never work again' state...i've just grown so attached to this specific one I would really miss it.

Ok so no blow-by-blow of our camera but here is a link for a Canon digital camera. In the instance of this Canon, the little hole to the left of the lens is the microphone for the camera. Since we can take video with our cameras, perhaps that's the micropohone hole for video in our case as well. If that's the case, then we should be ok.

I also covered the hole with my finger while using the camera and I couln't see any difference in picture whether the hole was covered or not.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD600/SD600A2.HTM

I'm sorry to cause any alarm with this well made Trident case. It really does provide some good protection and looks great!!

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

are ther any cases that cover the charger port because dust is coming in from there

I don't know about a case that covers the charger port but I found a port cover for you fairly cheap. I guess you'll just have to be careful you don't lose it while charging.

http://www.topicovers.com/products/micro-usb-port-cover

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue6IX

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011

I don't know about a case that covers the charger port but I found a port cover for you fairly cheap. I guess you'll just have to be careful you don't lose it while charging.

I had thought it was a microphone, but not sure. Didn't want to derail people from exploring your thought of it being a light sensor.

-----------

Thank you!!!!!!

In my review of the case, the fact it didn't cover the usb port was my only gripe, and you saw I had something for the headphones jack.

I really, really appreciate you sharing the link for the usb cover. My phone's protection is now complete, and you are the one who did it.

A million thanks!

PJASchultz

Mar 29, 2011
NC
Just got my Trident case in, and got it installed. I love it!
Yes, it is a tad on the bulky side, but I don't think it's that bad. Just right.

Compared to the hard-shell case I have, it's much more bouncy, definitely can't classify the trident as a hard case compared to that - but it's not very flexible, like a gel-type case would be.

Since I can't bend the outer-case very far (and we're talking small distance here) without being pretty postive it'll break, I suppose it has to be considered a hard case after all. Sorry if this seems like a mixed opinion here, it's definitely not a gel-type case.

Because of this, I suspected it would be a lot harder than it is. I would call the case definitely rubbery, not a hard case. No, it's not a gel skin, but it rubbery enough that I can squeeze it and it flexes. Of course I won't twist it all up, because, again, it's not gel. Honestly, I think the case is a perfect middle ground between being flexible and rubbery, but still supportive and sturdy.

Wrist strap:
If you have a wrist strap like I do (yeah, I know, dorky, but I use this as a primary camera and have done things like take pictures from the top of a 1-mile-high pedestrian bridge) ... On this case it is a real mother to get the strap on through the little hole in the case. But, hey, at least it has a hole for a strap.

Oh, and one more thing:
I noticed in the packaging that you can order replacement silicone inserts in a variety of colors, should you get bored with the black. Fun!

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

In my review of the case, the fact it didn't cover the usb port was my only gripe, and you saw I had something for the headphones jack.

I really, really appreciate you sharing the link for the usb cover. My phone's protection is now complete, and you are the one who did it.

A million thanks!

+1
I just ordered the USB cover, and Blue6Ix I did find a headphone jack as you suggested, too. Thanks for the tips!
Gooooo team!

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
How much larger does the phone get? If anyone can provide detailed side by side pictures with some frame of reference (best thing would be two slides side by side, one with the Trident and one without) that would be fantastic. I think this phone is just the right size, I seriously disliked the amzer case because the front protection kept coming off. I will post a review shortly.

Sent from my Senseless Doubleshot using XDA App

PJASchultz

Mar 29, 2011
NC
How much larger does the phone get? If anyone can provide detailed side by side pictures with some frame of reference (best thing would be two slides side by side, one with the Trident and one without) that would be fantastic. I think this phone is just the right size.

I haven't seen side-by-side pics, but go one page back... Ble6IX posted a ton of photos, you can get an idea. If you really like the current size of the phone, you may not like the Trident. It definitely adds noticeable bulk, and makes it not so sleek. Personally, I like the rugged feel.

I seriously disliked the amzer case because the front protection kept coming off. I will post a review shortly.

On the Amzer case, which I just took off for the Trident, in the end I was thoroughly unimpressed. It was difficult to get off when I needed to do battery swaps. And I found that it had actually scuffed up the edges of my phone where it clicked on. I do not recommend this case. For the last week or so, I actually went back to no case because my Amzer started to annoy me that much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay - i'm excited!

Just got home a little bit ago, and though I have to run right back out, I stole some time to play with my new case (at the expense of dinner...) because it finally came in today.

First impressions: Packaging is attractive, and once open it comes with screen protector, screen-cleaning cloth, a 4-pole extension piece for the headphones jack and the case (and some very short paperwork).

The case is 3 parts, as listed above, outer for the top, inner soft rubber for the bottom, and outer not-as-soft rubber for the bottom.

The color is nice, darn close to my favorite color of green - and green is my favorite color.

I like the fact that the part that covers the speaker (where you would listen to a phone call from) is a shield, preventing stuff from getting in the speaker. Ditto for the bottom half over the two speakers on the bottom of the phone.

The power port for usb is still uncovered...as is the headphones jack. So we've almost got a winner here, I would have liked for something covering both of those ports. I have a piece that fits in the headphones jack, which you can see in one of my pictures below (came on a stylus - check them out on amazon and you'll find one)...but I still have no solution for covering the open usb jack.

I have no idea why there are two tiny cutouts on the upper piece right above where the volume buttons are...this perplexes me. ( edit again - figured it out. When you hit caps or alt on the keyboard, it leaves space to show the light that lights up when the keyboard is slid out.)

The power button, volume buttons, and camera button are covered with the bottom rubber insert piece, and they all press fine and work well. No issues with the way they are covered.

And of course...it doesn't fit in the old pouch I had for it (was for the flip camcorder) so I got a new one, it's a kodak. Wanted to move to something a little bigger so I didn't have to take a micro-camera case around with me for my cables and memory cards anymore. The kodak case still fits in my pocket, so win all around.

In closing:

I love the trident case, if it had something to cover the usb port i'd love it even more. If by some misfortune the phone gets dropped or banged, it won't take the same amount of jarring abuse, and the shock will be much, much more distributed and absorbed by the case.

I didn't use the screen protector it came with, the one I already have on it is a privacy filter which I much prefer.

ETA:

The first picture shows the trident case next to the old hard-shell case, with the phone above and a pen in-between for size guage.

Also - fits in the t-mobile universal car cradle that I have, and doesn't fall out - as the prior case also allowed the phone to do.

Both glossy & grippy. Won't slide across my desk when I push it because of the black piece that is exposed from the rubber insert, but if I turn it on it's face it slides easy when it's just the exterior case touching.

Yet another edit:

Just spent the last half hour playing castlevania:symphony of the night on a psx emulator, no overheating issues (on an anker battery too - keep this in mind)

This is and will probably always remain my biggest concern with any case for the phone, and while it's probably too early to tell for sure, so far so good. Just wanted to get a preliminary out there about it, and i'll post up a followup to this in a few days if no issues, or a reply sooner if there are.

Figured i'd edit it in instead of making a new reply, since no one else has said anything since my posting.
    OEM HTC Hard Shell Case for T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide, White / Carbon Fiber

Has anyone purchased one of these? I believe that the more squarish shape will look better on our devices.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59357

They come on red, black & white, solid black and in blue.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Do did anyone purchase this case?
    Will the phone overheat in this type of enclosing?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59935
    Trident Case

Has anyone purchased one of these? I believe that the more squarish shape will look better on our devices.

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59357

They come on red, black & white, solid black and in blue.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Do did anyone purchase this case?
    Will the phone overheat in this type of enclosing?

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=59935

Thanks gtny930 for making me aware of these Trident Cases. I purchased two cases, one for my iPod Touch and one for the myTouch 4G Slide from Amazon. Being an Otterbox fan, I was kinda nervous on purchasing these. The quality isnt the same as an Otterbox, but its good enough to protect my devices. The iPod touch Trident case is really iffy, the $10 Belkin case I bought from Best Buy seems to be better. However for the myTouch 4G Slide, the Trident case is 10 times better than the Body Glove case I bought from T-Mobile which put indentions and scratches all over the side of my phone.

In the box:
    myTouch 4G Slide Trident Aegis Case(Bottom and Top), Screen Protector, Application Card, Cleaning Cloth, and an Audiojack Extender. The box and papers that came with the phone has QR Codes all over, and when scanned they go to links that dont work, bummer.

Installation:
    I am using the Anker Battery and this case fits good. I took out the battery just to compare it, and there isnt that much of a difference to be concerning.

Thoughts:
    The bottom half of the case is a "two part" thing with one piece being silicon and the other a harder outer layer (Similar to an Otterbox). Installing it was super easy. The silicone covers all of the buttons: Power, Camera, Volume Rockers. It also feels "raised" so the buttons are way easier to press and get to.

The top half of the case covers the "slide-out" portion of the phone and is kind of big and bulky. When sliding the keyboard out, it requires some force but is smooth to slide. When sliding the screen to hide the keyboard, you can tell the screen is being raised a bit and this is kind of a concern for me.

Typing on the keyboard feels more solid now, but the large bezel squishes the top row of the keyboard, so the keys are kind of harder to fit my fingers there. Theres slits cut out for the keyboard LED's, but they are extremely difficult to see when typing. You can only see it when pointing the phone down and actually looking in these little slits.
    Edit: I have actually been using the phone now, and when sliding open the phone, the tab that holds the top part to the screen hits the "g" key when its slide out fast, if your slow it doesnt press it, but I see this as an ISSUE.

If I have anything more to say, I'll be sure to edit.
    I just have a gel skin that I bought from T-Mobile that has D30 impact protection technology. It's a nice strong case, just it's rubberized so it sticks to my pocket, on the bright side my pockets don't ever have lint lol. :D
    I pre-planned against that issue (scraping) with my previous hard-shell case because someone mentioned that in this thread before I started using it.

I'm glad you mentioned that so others can be on the lookout for unintentional damage to their device.

I headed it off by taking a brand new razorblade to it and slicing off just the tiniest bit that was needed to make it not rub. An Xacto Knife, or a fresh blade in any kind of razor knife should do, but best results with the Xacto.

( remember, always cut away from yourself, and not towards anything fleshy like fingers - but you dig your own grave with that. Not responsible for you cutting your finger off 'cause you don't know how to use a knife - anyone. )

Problem I ran into was even taking off the tiniest bit exposed the item for how cheap it was, because the spray-on finish came off as soon as I sliced it, and the white plastic was exposed underneath.

Not a big deal, just cosmetic, and that fishbone case looks far superior to the crap hard case this thread started off with. It's probably all the same color material through and through, but you never know so keep an eye out.