[Q] Is the Droid 3 unlockable (SIM carrier) for AT&T or T-Mobile USA?

Search This thread

Savior057

Oct 7, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
AFAIK if you want to use Droid3 on AT&T in USA, you must do what I did and get an XT860, then unlock it.

You can root it, and also recover it if you manage to brick it using the Chinese ROM from the ME863 which has the same hardware as the XT860.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
But what about unlocking the US based GSM carriers?
And what about the aosp roms?
Is the restriction in the rom, or in the radio file?

Only the D2g with an earlier FWs can be band unlocked, D2g with updated FW and D3 can't.

The part that control the lock is moved in a section that is untouchable because the locked bootloader.

So, for now, NO you can't use an XT 862 in GSM mode in the US. PERIOD.

If you need it, get a Milestone 3

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
Only the D2g with an earlier FWs can be band unlocked, D2g with updated FW and D3 can't.

The part that control the lock is moved in a section that is untouchable because the locked bootloader.

So, for now, NO you can't use an XT 862 in GSM mode in the US. PERIOD.

If you need it, get a Milestone 3

What about flashing XT883 firmware, wouldn't this lift the ban on US GSM carriers since XT883, I assume isn't banned from being used in the USA?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
What about flashing XT883 firmware, wouldn't this lift the ban on US GSM carriers since XT883, I assume isn't banned from being used in the USA?

I assume it too, but i assume also that, as usual, replacing a FW won't remove any kind of locks, btw I can't try this in first person, you need a volunteer from the US to have a 100% sure response.

(the XT883 rom can be flashed safely, and you can get back to verizon w/o any problem)

midmay

Sep 17, 2011
I'm able to flash xt883/xt862 firmware to xt862 (Droid 3), both of them works on China Telecom including 3G, but need some modification to xt862 firmware.

And what about xt883 firmware on xt862 in US? Interesting...

un1ocked

Sep 24, 2011
I'm able to flash xt883/xt862 firmware to xt862 (Droid 3), both of them works on China Telecom including 3G, but need some modification to xt862 firmware.

And what about xt883 firmware on xt862 in US? Interesting...

please analyze the nv items, i think there are some clue there
i hope i can unlock the droid 2 global also

leobg

Mar 7, 2006
I assume it too, but i assume also that, as usual, replacing a FW won't remove any kind of locks, btw I can't try this in first person, you need a volunteer from the US to have a 100% sure response.

(the XT883 rom can be flashed safely, and you can get back to verizon w/o any problem)

TBH mentioned (re D2G band unlock) Verizon asked Motorola to implement the ban on baseband level (not in NV settings) so it is more difficult to break (to break it you have to break the signature since radio is signed - right?)
I am assuming (since I can't try) that ban is done the same way on XT862 - inside actual radio image. Since XT883 bears different radio image, there is chance ban will not be present there.
But as you said - until we get someone in the US to try it we can't say for sure. If it works - I am sure XT883 firmware will become much more popular in the States..

JMM2009

Feb 3, 2009
I'm Game

TBH mentioned (re D2G band unlock) Verizon asked Motorola to implement the ban on baseband level (not in NV settings) so it is more difficult to break (to break it you have to break the signature since radio is signed - right?)
I am assuming (since I can't try) that ban is done the same way on XT862 - inside actual radio image. Since XT883 bears different radio image, there is chance ban will not be present there.
But as you said - until we get someone in the US to try it we can't say for sure. If it works - I am sure XT883 firmware will become much more popular in the States..

I have a Verizon XT862 What all do I need to test it out?

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin

jawsofire

Apr 28, 2011
Basically flash the XT883 rom, following the instructions in the related thread, and look if with that rom the GSM works in the US.

BTW seem that a an hack to unlock the D2g with the GB kernel has surfaced lately, so possibly the band unlocking for D3 is getting closer (they are basically the same phone).

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/8326-d2g-gingerbread-hack-for-us-band-unlockers/

I followed the instruction here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1249720 I didn't apply the update however. Popped in my T-Mobile SIM card and it won't recognize the card. Not sure if I did something wrong or it just doesn't work. Is there a way to unlock the SIM?

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
I followed the instruction here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1249720 I didn't apply the update however. Popped in my T-Mobile SIM card and it won't recognize the card. Not sure if I did something wrong or it just doesn't work. Is there a way to unlock the SIM?

I'm soryy but I tought was already clear that the phone must be sim unlocked.

There are two kind of locks on the D3

the sim lock, that blocks any sim different from the verizion one

and the band lock, that blocks the gsm in the US (no matter the sim inserted).

The first kind of lock is easy to remove with a code provided from both verizion (for free if you are entitled) or third party companies (for a price, usually 10$).

The second kind of lock is the one talked about in this thread.

P.S. I'm afraid that if you have the unlock code you must be on the verizon rom to input it.

jgax

Apr 11, 2012
I'm soryy but I tought was already clear that the phone must be sim unlocked.

There are two kind of locks on the D3

the sim lock, that blocks any sim different from the verizion one

and the band lock, that blocks the gsm in the US (no matter the sim inserted).

The first kind of lock is easy to remove with a code provided from both verizion (for free if you are entitled) or third party companies (for a price, usually 10$).

The second kind of lock is the one talked about in this thread.

P.S. I'm afraid that if you have the unlock code you must be on the verizon rom to input it.

My D3 is unlocked and I live at the border with USA, the other day I cross the border and nothe that my gsm chip does not work.

I will finish the test for you, will flash it with the above instructions and let you know...

KayxGee1

Jul 28, 2011
Totowa
The Droid XT862 is most definitely unlockable. I'm using it with AT&T's $10 basic phone data plan.

Use the guide provided here

But, instead of using the files that are in the guide, use these updates ones.

*MAKE SURE YOUR DROID 3 IS SIM UNLOCKED*
To get a cheap code, go to Unlock4Moto. The codes come extremely fast, and for $6, you can't beat the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Reactions: RussellAlan

jgax

Apr 11, 2012
The Droid XT862 is most definitely unlockable. I'm using it with AT&T's $10 basic phone data plan.

To get a cheap code, go to Unlock4Moto. The codes come extremely fast, and for $6, you can't beat the price.

I followed all instructions and use this last post files, everything seems to work flawless.

Thanks guys

Sent from my XT883 using XDA

RussellAlan

Sep 12, 2009
$6 instead of $20

Was about to spend $20 USD -- Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.