FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Does anyone have the latest Swype beta?

531 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By thehyecircus, Senior Member on 6th November 2011, 01:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It's available on the site, but it involves usernames, and giving my email... and I don't want to do that.

EDIT: I got it. But I need "ADB" or "root explorer" to remove all traces of the previous Swype installation or it won't install. Can anyone help? I am following the directions found here: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...d-acts-up.html
6th November 2011, 11:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
I have always had to use Titanium Backup (rooted) to uninstall swype so that a new official beta would install. The new Swype no longer uses a separate installer and can be updated from inside the app itself so at least that's an improvement.

On the new beta Swype, the alt characters are less visible than they were in previous versions (like a poorly themed version) but my main problem is that it is not taking my system font as it is now supposed to do. The characters are too small and unchanging no matter which of my rom's (dlev on captivate) 20+ installed fonts I choose. Perhaps there is some font package I can install so swype will see them?

I would really like to just get a swype.apk themed like the previous version of official swype since the letters were a good size and font and the alt characters are clearly visible. And a swype.apk that has the licensing functions stripped so does not have problems every time I change the rom. I know xda cannot host these files, but can someone please tell me what google search string I can use to find one of these to download? It would be greatly appreciated.

If I can't get this, I will finally just give up on Swype and settle with Slideit. Swype has been a constant pita to me for over a year since every time I loaded a rom or the beta updated I have had to figure out how to uninstall the old version, resignon to swype, redownload, reinstall, etc. If it was not my favorite keyboard I would have never gone through the hassle. Why it can't be sold and distributed like a regular app in the market and easily skinnable I don't know - I would gladly pay $10 to avoid all the hassle.
6th November 2011, 11:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 639

More
I was using swype for about half a year and it was pain in the ass...for czech language swype is very stupid almost every second word is predicted wrong even with biggest option to predict right...and its very annoying to waiting for new version and installing through installer and blabla...as you said, i gladly pay for slideit (and i did) and im very happy with it. More smarter for my language and theme option is just great...
6th November 2011, 12:55 PM |#4  
London
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Why not register? What's the harm in that for an excellent app for free?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
6th November 2011, 01:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 639

More
For english language its great app...but for language where you have lot of punctuation and lot of symbol letters which other languages dont have its pain in the ass...its always aimless and making lot of mistakes.
6th November 2011, 11:48 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneturf

I would really like to just get a swype.apk themed like the previous version of official swype since the letters were a good size and font and the alt characters are clearly visible. .

Found one by searching for "Swype_v3.23.apk" and it does not appear to have licensing problems. All is good once again.
7th November 2011, 03:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneturf

Found one by searching for "Swype_v3.23.apk" and it does not appear to have licensing problems. All is good once again.

Thanks, I don't like the new letters either. Will try this one.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)