TrackMe is the conversion of the popular tool written originally for Windows Mobile 5 and 6. This version for Android has widely extended the WM version and includes tons of new features. You can find the original thread for TrackMe for WM here
WHAT IS TRACKME?
TrackMe is a GPS/WiFi/Cell ID tracker. It records your path, speed, altitude, distance, temperature and other parameters. It can also be started remotely using text messages from any other phone.
You can view your data (live or recorded) from your phone or also from any browser if you sync it with a TrackMe server.
* Works with no internet connection. All your data is stored on your phone unless that you decide to sync it with a TrackMe server.
* Stealth mode: Start/stop recording or send your position by sms by sending text messages from other phones without having TrackMe installed.
* Add markers with pictures, comments, file attachments or voice notes to your routes.
* Automatic image matching. You can match existing photos stored on your phone with any of your routes. TrackMe will try to find the closest match by using the tags stored inside the photos.
* Detailed route summary.
* Load any GPX files on the map and follow them!
* Show nearby markers. Check on the map for nearby markers that you have added previously in other routes. Very useful if you are trying to go back to a place that you have visited before.
* Cloud sharing. Share public or privately your position on the map. You can use this to meet with a person, if you both got lost from each other, if you want to see where the person is if it went on a trip...
This feature can be also started and stopped from any other phone using text messages.
* Export and import routes using KML or GPX files.
* Share your position on WhatsApp, sms, email, twitter...
* Highly customizable.
* Use our own server free of charge or your own!
* And much more!
HOW TO USE YOUR OWN SERVER
Click here for instructions (Google Maps API not needed)
CUSTOM WEB VIEWER DEVELOPMENT AND USER PLUGINS
Click here to visit the thread
Web browser viewer
By pammetje, mcross, jcleek and xZise
HOW TO TRACK A PHONE USING TRACKME
Due to popular demand, here are some instructions about how to do it. Just keep in mind that this is just a feature on TrackMe, and you can use it in many different ways.
You can either use text messages or Cloud Sharing for this.
1. Install TrackMe on the phone(s) you would like to track.
2. Run TrackMe and click OK on the Disclaimer and Information page. This will take you to the TrackMe's main screen.
3. Press the Menu button on your phone.
4. Click on Minimum Accuracy in the Storage section. By default is set to 300m (984 ft). You can change that to a higher value if you want to reduce the chances for the position to be discarded because of poor accuracy. This is specially useful if the phone is indoors.
5. Check the WiFi and Cell Network checkbox in the Source section. This will let you to get the location of the phone even if it is indoors.
6. Click on SMS tracking settings in the SMS Tracking section.
7. Check the SMS tracking enabled checkbox on top.
8. Click on the Send Position option. This will show you the text message that this phone needs to receive in order to send the location to the phone that sent the message.
By default is !!send but you can change it to anything else. Note the two exclamation marks at front. Click ok to confirm your changes.
Note: If you use Send Position Quick, then you can skip steps 4 and 5.
9. Click the back button on your phone twice to go back to TrackMe's main screen.
- From now on you don't need to have TrackMe running on this phone to make this work. You just need to have it installed.
- You don't even need to have internet on this phone!
Now you can just send a text message from any other phone containing the word that you specified in step 8, and TrackMe will reply with another text message showing the location of the phone and a link to a map.
Note: When TrackMe sends the location of the phone using a link, it will try to generate a short link to make it more readable to the user.
I have been informed that some providers don't allow these services (like tinyurl.com) and it will discard those messages.
If you never receive a message from the tracked phone it could be due to this reason.
You can disable URL shortening by going to Sharing Settings in the Sharing section. Once you are there you can uncheck the option Shorten URLs