MAC Address Changing with every Reset?

Search This thread

silvertonesx24

Jun 17, 2010
Chicago
Just updated my HD7 to the update with internet sharing. After this, I can confirm that every time I reboot my phone, I get a new mac address. Which prevents me from connecting to my MAC-address-filtered wifi. I've done it 6 times and gotten 6 unique MAC addresses.

Does this happen to anyone else's phone? HD7 specific? or all phones with internet sharing? My internet sharing is turned off.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
That's strange, I've never heard of a device with a dynamic MAC address before. Does your phone have one printed under the battery?

nok_fusion

Jun 22, 2010
I confirm too,i have the issue of mac adress changing every reboot
& my wifi is not visible since the update,My wifi is N and i can only see wifi G near me but not mine :(

beniusc

Sep 10, 2011
hi

for me too : mac adress change after shutdown.

for time don't shutdown the phone to have same mac adress with my internet box.

htc support tell me that they will answer on monday.

but i think it's a big problem with this update...

Ben

morpheuszg

Nov 25, 2007
Duesseldorf
That's a bit strange. Normally you can't change MAC's for yourself, only spoofing is possible. If WP is really changing the MAC adress with every reboot, WP needs a valid MAC adress block licensed from IEEE, otherwise it would be a violation against IEEE.

woodbane

Jan 25, 2008
Gotta be a glitch in the firmware surely? No way that's allowed. Your definitely sure it's not a dynamic IP address you're seeing?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

moonshines

Apr 23, 2009
ive also asked this question a couple of days ago right after applying the htc internet sharing update. and ive posted my question here (entry #38) and people provided good answers about it. hope this helps

Last edited:

Ttblondey

Jan 1, 2008
Yes, mine also changes it's only when i read this thread and test my hd7 and i notice the changes.But I S is a breeze.

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010
The issue is that some people assign static IPs to devices on their home networks, and this is done in most routers via MAC address coupling (MAC a always gets IP z and so forth). That way you can simply block all devices you and people in the residence do not own. I do it on all my machines for development reasons, cause I like knowing I can always use x IP address to get at a certain machine even if I turn it off or it's down for a while for repairs. The IP never changes as long as I continue to use that specific network card in the computer.

I don't know why they would do that. Perhaps for security reasons?

Jonno2343

Oct 27, 2009
I have the same problem - cannot connect to my University WiFi network as the MAC address keeps on changing....
This is crazy!

primexx

May 30, 2011
putting aside the weird WP7 behaviour for the moment...

MAC filtering is useless as a security measure. It's trivially spoofable by anyone who actually wants to attack your network, and causes a pain in the arse for yourself. do yourself a favour and disable it already. the only thing it might be good for is router-side internet access control of your technically challenged 8 year old who doesn't know how to use google.

just use a strong password i.e. 20+ characters alpha (upper & lower) + numeric + special characters, and proper wireless security (WPA-2 AES, or at least WPA AES) and you'll be just fine.

Reactions: kevm14

danlvii

Oct 22, 2006
London
Confirming

That update was a bag full of $$$$ !Luckly I was able to restore through Zune,but my Bootloader (SPL) was also updated to 5.01 and no way of going back!:mad:

GrahamWager

Jun 15, 2007
With regards to the missing WiFi network - make sure it's not using Channel 13. The new update seems to disable the use of Channel 13 for some reason.

There is also another issue with the changing MAC's - I believe that some "public" WiFi networks such as the cloud use the MAC to remember your device and allow it to connect... :(

Reactions: lqaddict

N8ter

Sep 1, 2010

MAC filtering is useless as a security measure. It's trivially spoofable by anyone who actually wants to attack your network, and causes a pain in the arse for yourself. do yourself a favour and disable it already. the only thing it might be good for is router-side internet access control of your technically challenged 8 year old who doesn't know how to use google.

just use a strong password i.e. 20+ characters alpha (upper & lower) + numeric + special characters, and proper wireless security (WPA-2 AES, or at least WPA AES) and you'll be just fine.

Mac filtering is not useless as a security measure. It's not used by itself. It's used in conjunction with other methods, the same way businesses also hide their wireless network's SSID.

I'm not filtering on an Open Connection. That would be retarded.

Seriously...

Reactions: Garrickus

moonshines

Apr 23, 2009
With regards to the missing WiFi network - make sure it's not using Channel 13. The new update seems to disable the use of Channel 13 for some reason.

There is also another issue with the changing MAC's - I believe that some "public" WiFi networks such as the cloud use the MAC to remember your device and allow it to connect... :(

im not sure though but im guessing so does other apps with secured log in parameters. i do have the bank of america app. right after i did the update, and after inluding the new mac to my networks allowed list of mac addresses, the boa app again posted a message saying that the device where im accessing boa has not been used previously to access the account. so im guessing that it saves all the mac addresses of devices that accessed a boa account.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Mac filtering is not useless as a security measure. It's not used by itself. It's used in conjunction with other methods, the same way businesses also hide their wireless network's SSID.

I'm not filtering on an Open Connection. That would be retarded.

Seriously...
    The issue with this thread is the MAC address changing (which should never happen) and not about network security. There is an issue with some WP7 devices and that needs to be fixed.

certainly. and if you'll see my original post, i did say "putting aside the issue for a moment". the merits of MAC filtering is relevant because OP (and others) are needlessly experiencing disruptions which they can easily avoid notwithstanding the bug on WP7. I never said they shouldn't fix the issue.
    Yes, my updated HD2 WP7 7740 is changing the Mac every reboot.

If anyone is interested :)
    All HD2 WP7 ROMs had this behaviour.