[N2E][1.1] TouchNooter 2.1.31

Search This thread

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Gabrial,

Did you try to turn multitouch on in order to check BN's claim on multitouch for Nook STR?
I'll try this one later on, maybe I can get my market ("my apps" section) to work again. If I had that, I'd be in heaven... Or I'd start waiting for Xorzone's launcher :)

bretzke

Dec 3, 2010

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Bretzke,

I've got the same, but using 1.6.24 updated with 1.1 uramdisk and framework. Everything else works, but "my apps" in market. I can still download, though, and update (if I search for an installed apk), but I can't see a list of all apps installed on my nook.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Gabrial,

Did you try to turn multitouch on in order to check BN's claim on multitouch for Nook STR?
I'll try this one later on, maybe I can get my market ("my apps" section) to work again. If I had that, I'd be in heaven... Or I'd start waiting for Xorzone's launcher :)

Nope, no tests of multi-touch here, my brain is still rather fried. Let me know what you come up with in the way of results, if it works I can readd it later.

I borked my upgrade/root. I didn't follow the steps in order. I know:(

I erase/deregistered and it appears that the system stays 1.1.0. Good. Reapplied TouchNooter 1.11.20 and it craps out on Market. You Tube & Gmail sync fine. I get an error when starting Market after the TOU agreement. Cancel/Retry popup comes up and an infinity of retries does nothing. Tried it again (deregister/wipe, TN) and same result.

Anyone else getting a market error?

I tried to reapply 1.1.0 update but the NST would not take the update again. Can't find a method to downgrade or restore to 1.0.0.

Any thoughts?

Dave

The only issue I had with market was the first time I tried to run it, it'd refuse to run period. Came up with "Server Error" and wouldn't give me TOU, I rebooted and tried and everything worked fine.

Also using nookRestore will take you back to whatever version is in factory.zip which should be 1.0 for most people. Remember to upgrade to 1.1 again before you try to use TouchNooter 1.11.20 otherwise you'll bork the system.

Another thing you might try if Gmail and Youtube are working fine but Market is still giving you issues is to rerun TouchNooter. With hacks like this I find that there are plenty off issues that can prevent things from properly working. One of the more common ones I found is sometimes the packages.xml modifications don't take. Rerunning TouchNooter reapplies them a second time and they work just fine.

Bretzke,

I've got the same, but using 1.6.24 updated with 1.1 uramdisk and framework. Everything else works, but "my apps" in market. I can still download, though, and update (if I search for an installed apk), but I can't see a list of all apps installed on my nook.

Hm, not quite sure why your "My Apps" wouldn't be working, I didn't have an issue with mine and installed several apps from "My Apps". What exactly happens when you try to use "My Apps"?

Worked like a charm to get me back to 1.0.0. Thanks!

However, I guess I didn't screw up as much as I thought... Re-upped to 1.1.0 and followed the TN instructions precisely and Market still errors out (A Server error has occurred...Retry/Cancel).

Any one else seen this?

Dave

Reboot again after you get the Retry/Cancel error. If this doesn't work reapply TouchNooter and try market then.

Last edited:
Reactions: bretzke

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Gabrial,

Regarding the multitouch, whenever someone goes into the 1st page of this post, it shows that multitouch has been disabled. If it is only a file to be changed, just tell me and I do it. If it needs more, tell me and I'll try. If it breaks, I go back to standard 1.1 (with 1.6.24 with 1.1 uramdisk and framework, or even the 1.11.20).
About market, either on standard market (from nooter), vending.apk or market2.3.4.apk, it runs, let me see and download files, search works (not on standard), if I find an app that is already installed, it allows me to update. But when I tap "my apps", it shows the server error, retry button (which takes me to the same error), or cancel button - which takes me back to main market screen. When I installed nooter 1.6.24 with 1.1 uramdisk and framework, I returned with an app+data backup from titanium backup pro from my 1.0.1 install, and I also ran in-app market doctor, which restores apps links in market (tried with that and without using this in-app feature, both with same results, i.e. server error).
I presented the situation in this post.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Gabrial,

Regarding the multitouch, whenever someone goes into the 1st page of this post, it shows that multitouch has been disabled. If it is only a file to be changed, just tell me and I do it. If it needs more, tell me and I'll try. If it breaks, I go back to standard 1.1 (with 1.6.24 with 1.1 uramdisk and framework, or even the 1.11.20).
About market, either on standard market (from nooter), vending.apk or market2.3.4.apk, it runs, let me see and download files, search works (not on standard), if I find an app that is already installed, it allows me to update. But when I tap "my apps", it shows the server error, retry button (which takes me to the same error), or cancel button - which takes me back to main market screen. When I installed nooter 1.6.24 with 1.1 uramdisk and framework, I returned with an app+data backup from titanium backup pro from my 1.0.1 install, and I also ran in-app market doctor, which restores apps links in market (tried with that and without using this in-app feature, both with same results, i.e. server error).
I presented the situation in this post.

Getting MultiTouch running may be as simple as getting the multitouch file and placing it back in the appropriate place. If you check older versions of touchnooter or even autonooter you should be able to see where to place it.

As for Market, try running TouchNooter 1.11.20 and see if that helps. The market has been updated to a version where as far as I could tell market works just fine and I have tested and know for sure "My Apps" works. Once we're sure it's not just a version of Market acting up we can work to isolate whatever the issue might be.

Reactions: bretzke

kevincool

Nov 28, 2009
hi

i've got the market server error too... ;(

the rest works fine! thx a lot!

BTW: i've even replaced the vending.apk in /system/app/ but ,, still the same prob. // if i replace it with the vending.apk from the last touchnooter release (1.0.1) it works (without search obviously)

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Kevin, with the working version of the market, did you get to see "my apps" list?

Gabrial, maybe not today, but until tomorrow I'll be able to do it. Then I'll tell you. Thx.

italiano1964

Dec 1, 2010
Worked like a charm to get me back to 1.0.0. Thanks!

However, I guess I didn't screw up as much as I thought... Re-upped to 1.1.0 and followed the TN instructions precisely and Market still errors out (A Server error has occurred...Retry/Cancel).

Any one else seen this?

Dave

I'm having the same Server error with market after I accept the license agreement. It didn't fix it to run Touchnooter again, or rebooting.
I started from a factory recover/reset, re-registered nook, updated to 1.1.0.
I got error 401 when signing in for YouTube, synced gmail with no problem, but unable to get market to work because of the server error.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
All I did was wipe /system update to 1.1, Ran TouchNooter 1.11.20 and followed the instructions that are on the screen there. When it booted up I logged into Youtube, clicked allow, synced Gmail which worked fine then tried to use Market. This didn't work for me giving the Server Error, I rebooted, pulled up market again and was able to accept the TOU. From there Market worked perfectly for me.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, went through the entire process. Restores, resetted, updated, logged in, nooted with 1.11.20, logged on youtube, synced gmail, and tapped on market and... it is worse than before, it doesn't work at all.
Rebooted then, and tried marked again and nothing...
Will try a couple of times more...
BTW, couldn't get to adb the nook either...

italiano1964

Dec 1, 2010
Well, went through the entire process. Restores, resetted, updated, logged in, nooted with 1.11.20, logged on youtube, synced gmail, and tapped on market and... it is worse than before, it doesn't work at all.
Rebooted then, and tried marked again and nothing...
Will try a couple of times more...
BTW, couldn't get to adb the nook either...

Same here, have restored, resetted, updated, etc 2-3 times with same result.
BTW, do you also get an error 401 when trying to log on youtube? After that, I can sync gmail with no trouble, but market is stuck with the server error message after I accept the terms of service. BTW, when I click on youtube again, it won't even open.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Same here, have restored, resetted, updated, etc 2-3 times with same result.
BTW, do you also get an error 401 when trying to log on youtube? After that, I can sync gmail with no trouble, but market is stuck with the server error message after I accept the terms of service. BTW, when I click on youtube again, it won't even open.

I didn't get a 401 at youtube, though youtube won't open again after you login, this has always been the case. After I accepted the terms though, no issues with market.

eded333

Apr 25, 2011
Thats actually strange... YouTube, Gmail and Market work perfectly with my guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346748

I've been trying to figure out why this isn't the case with automatic methods as it's the way to go, with the salsicha way and my Gapps repack but without the Vending.apk I use, YouTube worked correctly but you have to push the new Vending app for search to work and don't know if my-apps/download tab in market works.

Last edited:

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Thats actually strange... YouTube, Gmail and Market work perfectly with my guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346748

I've been trying to figure out why this isn't the case with automatic methods as it's the way to go, with the salsicha way and my Gapps repack but without the Vending.apk I use, YouTube worked correctly but you have to push the new Vending app for search to work and don't know if my-apps/download tab in market works.

I'm not sure why the only thing I found different in that Gapps repack and TouchNooter was Vending.apk when I went through the process to do everything it all worked fine, didn't have to swap Vending.apk even to get search working properly. Really not sure why this isn't working for others.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs NookTouch Tools
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Tested Fix: ADW not installing - Caused by spaces in ADW's Filename in 2.1.26
        • Added: Amazon Marketplace, Opera Mini
      • January 26, 2012 -
        • Added: adbWireless, SuperManager (Root File Manager, APK Manager, other useful tools), Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
        • Untested Fix: Market 1 Day wait
        • Updated: busybox, ButtonSavior.apk, su & SuperUser.apk
      • November 20, 2011 -
        • Removed: GoLauncher, LiveWallPaper Picker, maybe some other stuff.
        • Added: New Market, ADW with Black Minimalist Theme, NookTouchTools.
        • New: Rooting Image
      • June 24, 2011 -
        • Removed: Multitouch Permission
        • Added: Modified framework.jar
      • June 22, 2011 - Fixed: Script not running at boot.
      • June 20, 2011 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-2-1-31.zip - Uploaded
      2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-xx-xx-xx.img of=/dev/sdcard (where xx-xx-xx is the version number)
      3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
        • If you wish to use Underclocking follow these steps
          1. Download Underclock.zip from uploaded attachments
          2. Unzip it and place the data folder in /nooter/
          3. Check that the com.antutu.CpuMasterFree folder is in the /nooter/data/data folder
          4. Check that com.antutu.CpuMasterFree.apk is in /nooter/data/app
      5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      8. You should see the new TouchNooter boot screen, follow all instructions.
      9. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
      10. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      11. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      12. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      13. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      14. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      15. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      16. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      17. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
        • At this time Market fails and you must wait up to a day. Just check it every so often. Future updates should fix this.
      18. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

19. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      20. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      21. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • XorZone - NookTouchTools - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289894 - Sorry, been busy, credit where credits due.
      • Torimu.Joji - For the configurations for CPU Master Free that allows simple automated underclocking
      • xevious - Kick starting my brain to get this update out
      • mali100 - modified framework.jar for 1.1
      • eded333 - Repackaged Gapps, the idea that may fix 1 Day Market Issue.
      • ros87 - uRamdisk
      • nemith - helping me figure out getting it to run at boot.
      • JesusFreke - For getting root.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: School
    I just tried to root my daughter's new Nook Simple Touch (1.2 firmware) with the touchnooter-2-1-31 image written to a microSD card but it just hangs at the Touchnooter instruction screen forever. If I remove the SD card and try to reboot it hangs at the "Your Nook is starting up..." screen. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks

It says, this is for 1.1, not for 1.2. So mayby read about what you are doing?

Press power for 2 secs, wait 1 sec, press it for 15 secs, wait 2 secs, and start over, and over, for 8 times. Then, if you want to have root, use any compatible rooter.

It does not matter if you use a Glowlight version, it should work for 99%
    This thread is deprecated, however you should be able to use GlowNooter on the normal TouchNooter (based on how B&N does their updates it should work for both). If anyone can confirm this I'll change the front post to properly link to the current update.

Despite the fact this thread is deprecated, this rom is the best for having a really good screen contrast on our NST.

I leave this instructions for those who need help to downgrade their NST to install TouchNooter.
    Forget about the restart the process three times, do it like this:

1) Use nookRestore to restore /system.

2) Erase and Deregistered to wipe /data
    (If it dosnt let you, force it shutting down your nook, then starting it up, and when the screen flickers press right and left bottom buttons, hold for 5+ seconds).

3) Register, or not, as you preffer.

4) Apply 1.1 firmware update.

5) Open the TouchNooter 1.6.24 image and inside the nooter folder, search and substitude the uRamdisk for this one http://www.multiupload.com/CJ981FWPJG
    and framework.jar for this one http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19201466&postcount=352.

6) Use the new TouchNooter 1.6.24 to root your device. Follow the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132693
    If it dosnt work, try again until it works.

7) Continue with registering: Youtube (401 error) --> GMail --> Market.

8) Download adb, and unzip it:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1124160&page=6
    download this vending apk:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1124160&page=6
    and sqlite3:
    http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-shell-win32-x86-3070900.zip
    copy the apk and sqlite3 tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools , open cmd and then:

cd tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools
    adb connect yournooktouchip

Now we are going to enable non market apps use my method, or what madmachinist said:

adb shell
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
    sqlite3 settings.db "update secure set value=1 where name='install_non_market_apps';"
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
    adb reboot

now when NST reboots:
    cd tothefolderyouunzippedadb/platform-tools
    adb connect yournooktouchip
    adb install Vending.apk
    adb reboot

You are done, everything should work now.
    No it will not revert to stock. But if you go to my website you can download an mSd card Image that will restore everything back to the original factory firmware image. nook Root (Just click on the "nook Touch" link on the nav bar)

Uhm?

Please stop redistributing an old and obsolete version of my restore image!
    It's also common to give proper credits when redistributing stuff like you do..

The right way to do this would be to link to the actual thread in this forum, so people can get the latest version and updated instructions.

Links you should add instead of redistributing copies that are or will be obsolete:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1289233
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1351719
    http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Thank you