I've been trying to generate a GSM patch for newer CM7 builds for a while now and finally have one that works against 11/16 - and now includes data too.
Unlike previous attempts, this isn't a 100mb file that overwrites the whole OS, it's just a 530kb patch to be installed over the 11/16 build. All this patch does is to add/replace 9 libs, 4 binaries and build.prop file (minimal changes to default radio mode and permitted emergency call numbers).
If you try this patch, please post your experiences here so I can see how effective it is and try to improve it. In particular I'd like to know if CDMA works - I think it might, but I can't test that theory in the UK.
Install instructions :-
- Install hashcodes safestrap, reboot into safestrap
- Ensure safe system is ENABLED
- Wipe data/cache
- Format /system
- Install CM7 11/16 build from Hascode's thread here :-
- Install attached the gsm_patch1116_WithData.zip
- On first boot, phone will FC a couple of times
- Once booted, select GSM as main network, check your APN is configured and selected, then reboot and your phone will connect to the network
A big thankyou goes to hashcode, the dev of the CM7 port. Without him, the Droid3 would be a lot less fun to play with - and thanks to niko99 for pointing out the way to merge together roms/patches to get working data - that gave me the clues I needed to improve this patch a lot.
One last thing - there are possibly 1 or 2 libs/bins in this patch that don't strictly need to be in there. I'll keep testing to try and minimise it as much as possible.