[Q] Hook Up an External Mic to the Kindle Fire?

Search This thread

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Reactions: Glasairmell

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
That could well be - the plug on those headsets have an extra conductor to handle the mic + stereo. Anyone try them?

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
I was wondering this also. Has anybody tried this? I would like to know before I buy the headset.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

Last edited:

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
So no-one has tried this? I'd try it myself but I don't have an iPod headset. I have a gaming headset but it has two separate jacks for microphone/headphone.

MichaelVash7886

Nov 24, 2011
Wait a sec, would a 3.5 mm jack splitter (the one that makes 2 things plug into 1 port) work for this? That could help those that have separate mic and headphones possibly anyways. I mean obviously it's not the best method but that should let us check proof of concept.

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Wait a sec, would a 3.5 mm jack splitter (the one that makes 2 things plug into 1 port) work for this? That could help those that have separate mic and headphones possibly anyways. I mean obviously it's not the best method but that should let us check proof of concept.

That's exactly what I was referring to. The iPod headsets and some other brands have that feature. I do not have a pair and wanted someone to test it before buying.

Last edited:

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
A splitter wouldn't help. I'm looking at one now, and it has a 3-conductor plug (called a TRS), just like a plug for stereo headphones. The plug on a mic/headphones combo is a TRRS, and has 4 conductors. I thought I had one laying around, but the plug size is 2.5mm, from an old Blackberry I had.
I'm gonna go and look in the trunk of my car. I'm sure I have one...

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
A splitter wouldn't help. I'm looking at one now, and it has a 3-conductor plug (called a TRS), just like a plug for stereo headphones. The plug on a mic/headphones combo is a TRRS, and has 4 conductors. I thought I had one laying around, but the plug size is 2.5mm, from an old Blackberry I had.
I'm gonna go and look in the trunk of my car. I'm sure I have one...

See if you can find one to test. Download Google Voice and call yourself and see if the microphone works. Get someone to go to another room and see if you can talk to them.

If this works then we can use Skype and GVoice.

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
I found a pair in my car - IT WORKS!!
I downloaded and installed an audio recording app, and made a 10-second recording. It picked up my voice very loud. The mind reels at the possibilities...

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
I downloaded and installed an audio recording app, and made a 10-second recording. It picked up my voice very loud. The mind reels at the possibilities...

WooHoo it works! Someone should sticky this thread. Could you find me a good pair I can buy on Amazon?

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
Actually I don't remember where I got these; I think it came as part of a package when I bought a suction-cup car mount for my smartphone - it came with a dc charger and the mount. So, I can't recommend any kind in particular.

FlashFire1

Nov 25, 2011
Actually I don't remember where I got these; I think it came as part of a package when I bought a suction-cup car mount for my smartphone - it came with a dc charger and the mount. So, I can't recommend any kind in particular.

I found a pair on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049Y2PIS/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1322278595&sr=8-7

These are for the Samsung EHS60, but would these work with the Kindle Fire?

grvthang

Dec 25, 2010
I'm sure they would work; as I said earlier, these headphone/mic combos have a 4-conductor plug (a TRRS), to accommodate two stereo channels for the headphones plus the mic (audio left, audio right, mic, and neutral). A normal stereo headset has a 3-conductor plug called a TRS (left, right, and neutral).

---------- Post added at 04:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM ----------

Somewhere around here I have a stereo microphone with a 3.5mm plug. What a kick it would be if it can actually record in stereo (I kind of doubt it, though). Let me go look for that now...

MichaelVash7886

Nov 24, 2011

Sweet. It's not a huge deal for me off the top of my head, but I can only guess as to what this could open up. Skype and what not would be a sweet thing to have on it just for when I don't feel like sitting at my desk.

MichaelVash7886

Nov 24, 2011
My only thing is they are all ear buds, most of the time they don't fit very well in my ears and can even cause my ears to hurt. Will have to try some stuff out once I get my Kindle in.

Top Liked Posts