FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Kernel][OC][UV][3G][USB charging] GT8.9 7300/7310 (Dec 4, 2011)

858 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,408

By _motley, Senior Member on 13th November 2011, 08:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th November 2011, 09:00 PM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Using your kernel and the 3.2 image here, no major problems. Setcpu @ 1.4 interactive, and all feels quite smooth for me. I wonder what might be up with your setup what makes you go back to 3.1. I do have the occasional market crash, and some wifi connection instability though.

(Juice Defender Ultimate
Adblock
Auto Memory Killer
also in use.)

26th November 2011, 01:46 AM |#122  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg

Using your kernel and the 3.2 image here, no major problems. Setcpu @ 1.4 interactive, and all feels quite smooth for me. I wonder what might be up with your setup what makes you go back to 3.1. I do have the occasional market crash, and some wifi connection instability though.

(Juice Defender Ultimate
Adblock
Auto Memory Killer
also in use.)

Same here. Although my wifi was just as flaky coming out of sleep in 3.1.
26th November 2011, 02:01 AM |#123  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Is it possible to split the patches from the source files? Should make it easier in the future to port newer kernels to the device, although this is time consuming.
26th November 2011, 03:41 AM |#124  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg

(Juice Defender Ultimate
Adblock
Auto Memory Killer
also in use.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater

Same here. Although my wifi was just as flaky coming out of sleep in 3.1.

I didn't have any major issues, I just feel 3.2 on kernel 2a is less fluent than 3.1 on kernel v1i. It is very subtle. I haven't had any WiFi issues on 3.1 or 3.2 with with my kernel or the stock kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrian

Is it possible to split the patches from the source files? Should make it easier in the future to port newer kernels to the device, although this is time consuming.

Are you talking about the code that you see in my git repo or the kernel patches themselves? Not sure exactly what you mean, but with source control it is pretty easy to roll back stuff if necessary. The kernel itself is built into one zImage binary file, in case you were wondering about that.
26th November 2011, 03:50 AM |#125  
Thanks Meter: 1,360

More
Hey motley, I moved back to Overcome 1.2 with your kernel for it. Zero issues (no distortions). I assume there's an issue with the Samsung's leaked KJ4. Here's hoping Sammy finishes its homework before year's end.
26th November 2011, 03:59 AM |#126  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirogu325

Hey motley, I moved back to Overcome 1.2 with your kernel for it. Zero issues (no distortions). I assume there's an issue with the Samsung's leaked KJ4. Here's hoping Sammy finishes its homework before year's end.

Cool, good to hear! I saved the logs in case we deal with this issue again. It's very strange you were seeing it, but I had no other reports of it. Did you buy your tab in the US? Touchwiz is pretty cool, but it opens up a lot of complexities. The kernel even has special mods to support Touchwiz video processing versus normal Android functionality. Seems a little over the top to me. I have added a kernel config option (thanks pershoot!) to flip this functionality on and off so we can compile for a non-Touchwiz environment once someone has a ROM without it.
26th November 2011, 04:25 AM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 1,360

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _motley

Cool, good to hear! I saved the logs in case we deal with this issue again. It's very strange you were seeing it, but I had no other reports of it. Did you buy your tab in the US? Touchwiz is pretty cool, but it opens up a lot of complexities. The kernel even has special mods to support Touchwiz video processing versus normal Android functionality. Seems a little over the top to me. I have added a kernel config option (thanks pershoot!) to flip this functionality on and off so we can compile for a non-Touchwiz environment once someone has a ROM without it.

Yes, at a Best Buy. I really hope we see further progress once we get ICS in some form or another. This Tab has a lot of potential. Yeah, I agree it was a weird issue (one that popped up in a Vibrant kernel once but was later solved -ah, old days-). Let's see what Sammy does with ICS in 2012.
26th November 2011, 04:38 AM |#128  
Flag Quezon City

More
Quote:

Are you talking about the code that you see in my git repo or the kernel patches themselves? Not sure exactly what you mean, but with source control it is pretty easy to roll back stuff if necessary. The kernel itself is built into one zImage binary file, in case you were wondering about that.

I meant the kernel patches, as done by Sammy and Nvidia. Doing this should make it easier for kernel devs who may want to port newer kernels (e.g. for ICS) onto the Tab 8.9. As I understand it, the tarball from opensource.samsung.com is a pre-patched tarball (without files such as (example) 0000-Board-Support-Samsung.patch)?

EDIT: Oh, Touchwiz is patched into the kernel. That's freaky stuff right there, not used to that in regular GNU/Linux. No wonder the Xoom's SystemUI simply FC'd when I pushed it to the device.
26th November 2011, 05:13 AM |#129  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrian

I meant the kernel patches, as done by Sammy and Nvidia. Doing this should make it easier for kernel devs who may want to port newer kernels (e.g. for ICS) onto the Tab 8.9. As I understand it, the tarball from opensource.samsung.com is a pre-patched tarball (without files such as (example) 0000-Board-Support-Samsung.patch)?

EDIT: Oh, Touchwiz is patched into the kernel. That's freaky stuff right there, not used to that in regular GNU/Linux. No wonder the Xoom's SystemUI simply FC'd when I pushed it to the device.

If you need a kernel zImage and modules built with the Touchwiz parts taken out, I can provide that for you so you can try to boot some non-touchwiz ROMs. I have followed pershoot's lead in the 10.1 kernel by adding this kernel config option (touchwiz or not). I have not merged this patch out to my public git yet since I haven't released anything to the public built from this source.

Yes, it is pretty messed up. Samsung's source is not a perfect match with Nvidia's and they don't give your their git repo so you can track it back to the source tree. The kernel source has been customized by Samsung to the extent that the many of .patch diffs from Nvidia's git repo can't automatically be applied in all cases. They can however be easily be identified and merged my hand if the automatic merge won't work. I have found that many of the Nvidia patchs have been merged in by Samsung from 3.1 to 3.2. I use many different tools so I can compare and merge code when necessary.

To make it worse, we as custom kernel developers change several of the source files to add overclocking, voltage control, and other enhancements. This further fragments the source between Samsung, Nvidia and the custom kernel source. All the patches that are applied to the original source from Samsung can easily be tracked moving forward, but every kernel tree out there can't share patches in a perfectly seamless manner... there's a lot of fragmentation going out there in the kernel world by the time your get the code from the manufacturers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _motley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _motley Ad-Free
26th November 2011, 05:57 AM |#130  
Flag Quezon City

More
Perhaps this would work out better:

[BUILD SYSTEM]
<Start> -> {Vanilla 2.6.36} -> [Patch to 2.6.36.4] -> [Patch in Nvidia Tegra 2 Board Support] -> {Linux 2.6.36.4-Tegra2} -> [Patch in Samsung Device Support] -> {Linux 2.6.36.4-Tab89} -> [Patch in Custom ROM Changes e.g. 0000-Prereq-for-overclock.patch then 0001-Overclock-T2.patch] -> {Linux 2.6.36.4-Tab89-motley}

Of course, the above build system will need you to extensively diff everything, and use an entirely new build system. But the end result is, people will be dealing with single patches instead of the entire source tree, then selecting different versions of the patch from git.
27th November 2011, 08:52 AM |#131  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

I didn't have any major issues, I just feel 3.2 on kernel 2a is less fluent than 3.1 on kernel v1i. It is very subtle. I haven't had any WiFi issues on 3.1 or 3.2 with with my kernel or the stock kernel.

I noticed the same thing, after installing overcome 2.1 its back to being amazingly fast.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)