[EP4D][Stock][CWM][Odin]Full Odexed and Deodexed Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
Ok, so for the slightly less noob-y among us, here are some CWM variants of the now-released EP4D OTA, in all of its bloated glory! Thanks go to spjetrovic (provided the OTA leak) and spc_hicks09 (provided a file dump), as well as pentafive for the full factory ODIN. Thanks also go out to skydeaner on IRC and gunnermike53 for offering up some server space for files. Download speeds were pretty atrocious on the two sites I had been previously using.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE! As an additional disclaimer - I'm still pretty new to all of this, but it has worked for me and a few others that were kind enough to try. That being said, as always YMMV.

While there are very likely much better ways to go about this, the current work here is all pulled from the factoryfs.rfs in the full factory ODIN posted by pentafive (originally found here) - and it is from this same ODIN that I pulled the stock kernel and modem files. Just to see if I could figure it out, I took a stab at repacking the kernel with one or two things I was missing from the full-on stock kernel, but those are not included in the main EP4D CWM files (see bottom of OP for links).
The odexed version I did NOTHING to (except pull it from factoryfs.rfs and fashion it into something CWM flashable), which means it is unrooted and it will (if on a stock kernel) overwrite CWM recovery with the stock recovery after rebooting. The deodexed/zipaligned version includes superuser/su (found here) as well as busybox (from here). The same goes for the ODIN version of the deodexed EP4D, except there is a version that includes the latest 5.0.2.7 recovery by imnuts found here as well as my attempt at a repacked kernel. In either case the changes were pretty minimal - it's simply deodexed bloated stock.

You will need to have either CWM (version 5.0.2.7 can be found here, but earlier versions like 4.0.1.4 will work fine as well) already on your phone or ODIN already on your computer, and I would strongly recommend doing a data wipe/factory reset within CWM before flashing either the odexed or deodexed CWM EP4Ds as well (that's what I've been doing at least and I have had no problems).
Also - if you are flashing one of the kernels, either stand alone or as part of a CWM zip, MAKE SURE voodoo lagfix is completely disabled (i.e. /data, /dbdata, /cache, and /system all need to be rfs, NOT ext4) BEFORE flashing.

CWM Installation instructions:
- Download file and place on sdcard
- Boot into CWM recovery
- If flashing odexed/deodexed EP4D wipe data/factory reset (Recommended)
- If flashing kernel only or CWM that includes kernel - you better not be ext4, and I tend to always wipe cache/dalvik for CWM flashes fwiw
- Install the .zip you put on your sdcard

ODIN Installation instructions:
- Download file on to computer and unzip it (w/ 7-zip or the like)
- Put phone into download mode
- Connect phone to computer (assuming all is well with the drivers)
- Open ODIN (I have been using 1.83)
- Place the .tar.md5 file in PDA!
- If flashing kernel only - you better not be ext4!
- Flash away

NOTES:
  • While I am unsure how relevant it is now, I have encountered an occasional odd issue in the past with CWM after flashing that seems to require adb to resolve.
    • The issue is that after flashing and then booting into recovery, I occasionally get a "can't mount /sdcard" error. Apparently that in itself is a known issue, and it is listed as such in the CWM recovery thread.
      The fix requires you to perform the following commands using ADB:

Code:
      adb shell
      umount /sdcard
      rm -f /sdcard
      mkdir /sdcard
      exit
    • If you do not have ADB installed and you are having the "can't mount /sdcard" error after flashing - I have a possible workaround for you. Download the ADBsdcardFix.zip here - then extract the folder (should be fine to extract it to your desktop) and attach your phone to the computer via USB (I did this while the phone was already in CWM). Open the newly-extracted ADB folder, and then double-click on the CWMsdcardFix.bat - something should pop up on the screen for a brief second, which is completely normal. After double-clicking the .bat file, on the phone go to mounts and storage, then select mount /sdcard - and it now should work!
    • Either approach here (adb code or the stuff in ADBsdcardFix.zip) has worked every time I have needed it, although again in my experience I have not been able to cull the rhyme or reason out of when that need will present itself.
  • For those who dabble in ADB, I noticed that adb shell seems to work "differently" on the stock EP4D kernel - well, differently in the sense that I haven't dabbled much in using stock kernels, so my basis of comparison consists of custom kernels. Normally entering adb shell would lead to a # prompt, but with the stock kernel it stays as $ - however, if you then enter su it goes to the # prompt. This also means you have to exit twice to leave shell - once for su, and once for shell. This also causes problems when using the adb push command - but the tweaked kernel I managed to repack and put together seems to circumvent such issues. I'm very new to such kernel repack tweaks so I am unaware if any other issues come about, but it has been running fine for myself for some time - again, at least on the surface. Take from that what you will.
  • Now that pentafive has posted a full factory ODIN, you no longer have to go through the OTA or CWM updater from EE4 modems route. Instead you can just flash the EP4D Modem package listed below in ODIN.

Please let me know if there are any problems/issues.

---CWM EP4D STOCK FILES---

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED CWM .ZIP
md5: 2413D8C0D97C314AD62105270370D4DC

BLOATED EP4D ODEXED CWM .ZIP
md5: E852D91C12FDF9C9ED71D9AA67AC367C
NOTE: This includes the stock kernel, so you MUST be rfs for this. If you are ext4, you WILL have problems.

---ODIN EP4D STOCK FILES---

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED .TAR.MD5
NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel or recovery, but it does include the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
md5: F97C271E70A4B39C9D7211EEF17BCBF1

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED .TAR.MD5 + REPACKED KERNEL & RECOVERY
NOTE: This includes my attempt at a repacked kernel and the latest 5.0.2.7 CWM recovery found here, as well as the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
md5: 13DD3B5300D92E10EBB000C724225990

---CWM EP4D KERNEL FILES---

NOTE: Only flash these if you are rfs - issues will abound when flashed over ext4 setups
NOTE2: Also - the repacked one is a HUGE experiment on my part - it works fine for me (at least on the surface), but YMMV. FLASH WITH CAUTION!

REPACKED STOCK EP4D KERNEL CWM .ZIP
md5: CE78B23A7FA6CBED9E2A927A7722A8F3

STOCK EP4D KERNEL CWM .ZIP
md5: AEE483F6513E742349D5F3A2D65007F2

---ODIN EP4D KERNEL FILES---
NOTE: Only flash these if you are rfs - issues will abound when flashed over ext4 setups
NOTE2: Also - the repacked one is a HUGE experiment on my part - it works fine for me (at least on the surface), but YMMV. FLASH WITH CAUTION!

REPACKED STOCK EP4D KERNEL ODIN .TAR.MD5
md5: 17C22365FACDB239479D72E348B0D2DB

STOCK EP4D KERNEL ODIN .TAR.MD5
md5: 93AF45F86C8B51B9EF19C789055E0B66

---ODIN EP4D MODEM FILE---
EP4D MODEM
md5: 6F84382BFCF28131DC572A6F9019AFE6
NOTE: This is for the .7z file - you will need 7-zip or something similar to decompress the ODINable .tar.md5 file

---MISCELLANEOUS---
NOTE: READ DESCRIPTION ABOVE FOR HOW AND WHY TO USE THE FILE BELOW -
--- DO NOT FLASH IN CWM!! ---
ADBsdcardFix.zip
md5: 5A362D2AB8BD5D7878AC1835A4AD558E

Last edited:

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
I'll remove the file from my server. I tend to get ahead of myself (and have been known to put my foot in my mouth on a number of occasions) when providing files and help to other users who may want some custom packages for this ROM. I do give full credit to those people who deserve the credit, I just package them into ZIP files for people to use.

I do apologize. The file has been removed from the server.

You'd think that I'd have learned from this considering that imnuts got pissed at me for doing the same thing. But... I have a thick skull and sometimes things don't get through it unless it's pounded into it.

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
OP has been updated. There were some issues with force closes in Settings.apk that are now fixed.

I'll remove the file from my server. I tend to get ahead of myself (and have been known to put my foot in my mouth on a number of occasions) when providing files and help to other users who may want some custom packages for this ROM. I do give full credit to those people who deserve the credit, I just package them into ZIP files for people to use.

I do apologize. The file has been removed from the server.

You'd think that I'd have learned from this considering that imnuts got pissed at me for doing the same thing. But... I have a thick skull and sometimes things don't get through it unless it's pounded into it.

As you can see, there is a new file in the OP now. And no worries on this - it was on my to-do list anyway, it just happened to slip my mind last night. Thanks for pointing out the utility of it.

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
Am I allowed to post that package? If so, I'll repost that when I get home.

It's just the stock EP4D theme with the Extended Power Menu Options that you made that I just packed so you can install it as a ZIP file in CWM.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
Am I allowed to post that package? If so, I'll repost that when I get home.

It's just the stock EP4D theme with the Extended Power Menu Options that you made that I just packed so you can install it as a ZIP file in CWM.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to post what you had, as what you have already posted in the themes subforum and what is posted in the OP here gets the same job done (and can be combined by folks on their own if desired).

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
As for the "EE4B TO EP4D MODEM PATCHER" patch, do you have to use Stock Recovery or can you use CWM to install the modem patch?

Why I ask is that I looked at the updater-script and it looks very very similar to the same scripts we use in the install packs that are used with CWM.

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As for the "EE4B TO EP4D MODEM PATCHER" patch, do you have to use Stock Recovery or can you use CWM to install the modem patch?

Why I ask is that I looked at the updater-script and it looks very very similar to the same scripts we use in the install packs that are used with CWM.

It's a CWM package. At least that's how I flashed it. I'm pretty sure I saw dwitherell post in a different thread on Rootz that he built that package himself for CWM based on the deltas in the original update.zip, so it'll actually probably not work in stock recovery.

trparky

Jun 11, 2011
So I decided to go back to EE4 (only the modems, not the ROM) and flash the new modems via CWM. Sure enough, it worked and now EP4 shows up in About Phone.

nismology

Jul 9, 2010
Thank you for this! Running this package without any hitches. Still not sold on the EP4D modem but that is neither here nor there. Good job!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

junksecret

Jun 14, 2011
I have the OTA EP4D installed, rooted and CWR installed but would like a deodexed version. It seems this version is from the last EP4 leak rather than the OTA which did get some changes over the last leak? Does anyone know?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, so for the slightly less noob-y among us, here are some CWM variants of the now-released EP4D OTA, in all of its bloated glory! Thanks go to spjetrovic (provided the OTA leak) and spc_hicks09 (provided a file dump), as well as pentafive for the full factory ODIN. Thanks also go out to skydeaner on IRC and gunnermike53 for offering up some server space for files. Download speeds were pretty atrocious on the two sites I had been previously using.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE! As an additional disclaimer - I'm still pretty new to all of this, but it has worked for me and a few others that were kind enough to try. That being said, as always YMMV.

While there are very likely much better ways to go about this, the current work here is all pulled from the factoryfs.rfs in the full factory ODIN posted by pentafive (originally found here) - and it is from this same ODIN that I pulled the stock kernel and modem files. Just to see if I could figure it out, I took a stab at repacking the kernel with one or two things I was missing from the full-on stock kernel, but those are not included in the main EP4D CWM files (see bottom of OP for links).
    The odexed version I did NOTHING to (except pull it from factoryfs.rfs and fashion it into something CWM flashable), which means it is unrooted and it will (if on a stock kernel) overwrite CWM recovery with the stock recovery after rebooting. The deodexed/zipaligned version includes superuser/su (found here) as well as busybox (from here). The same goes for the ODIN version of the deodexed EP4D, except there is a version that includes the latest 5.0.2.7 recovery by imnuts found here as well as my attempt at a repacked kernel. In either case the changes were pretty minimal - it's simply deodexed bloated stock.

You will need to have either CWM (version 5.0.2.7 can be found here, but earlier versions like 4.0.1.4 will work fine as well) already on your phone or ODIN already on your computer, and I would strongly recommend doing a data wipe/factory reset within CWM before flashing either the odexed or deodexed CWM EP4Ds as well (that's what I've been doing at least and I have had no problems).
    Also - if you are flashing one of the kernels, either stand alone or as part of a CWM zip, MAKE SURE voodoo lagfix is completely disabled (i.e. /data, /dbdata, /cache, and /system all need to be rfs, NOT ext4) BEFORE flashing.

CWM Installation instructions:
    - Download file and place on sdcard
    - Boot into CWM recovery
    - If flashing odexed/deodexed EP4D wipe data/factory reset (Recommended)
    - If flashing kernel only or CWM that includes kernel - you better not be ext4, and I tend to always wipe cache/dalvik for CWM flashes fwiw
    - Install the .zip you put on your sdcard

ODIN Installation instructions:
    - Download file on to computer and unzip it (w/ 7-zip or the like)
    - Put phone into download mode
    - Connect phone to computer (assuming all is well with the drivers)
    - Open ODIN (I have been using 1.83)
    - Place the .tar.md5 file in PDA!
    - If flashing kernel only - you better not be ext4!
    - Flash away

NOTES:
    • While I am unsure how relevant it is now, I have encountered an occasional odd issue in the past with CWM after flashing that seems to require adb to resolve.
      • The issue is that after flashing and then booting into recovery, I occasionally get a "can't mount /sdcard" error. Apparently that in itself is a known issue, and it is listed as such in the CWM recovery thread.
        The fix requires you to perform the following commands using ADB:

Code:
        adb shell
        umount /sdcard
        rm -f /sdcard
        mkdir /sdcard
        exit
      • If you do not have ADB installed and you are having the "can't mount /sdcard" error after flashing - I have a possible workaround for you. Download the ADBsdcardFix.zip here - then extract the folder (should be fine to extract it to your desktop) and attach your phone to the computer via USB (I did this while the phone was already in CWM). Open the newly-extracted ADB folder, and then double-click on the CWMsdcardFix.bat - something should pop up on the screen for a brief second, which is completely normal. After double-clicking the .bat file, on the phone go to mounts and storage, then select mount /sdcard - and it now should work!
      • Either approach here (adb code or the stuff in ADBsdcardFix.zip) has worked every time I have needed it, although again in my experience I have not been able to cull the rhyme or reason out of when that need will present itself.
    • For those who dabble in ADB, I noticed that adb shell seems to work "differently" on the stock EP4D kernel - well, differently in the sense that I haven't dabbled much in using stock kernels, so my basis of comparison consists of custom kernels. Normally entering adb shell would lead to a # prompt, but with the stock kernel it stays as $ - however, if you then enter su it goes to the # prompt. This also means you have to exit twice to leave shell - once for su, and once for shell. This also causes problems when using the adb push command - but the tweaked kernel I managed to repack and put together seems to circumvent such issues. I'm very new to such kernel repack tweaks so I am unaware if any other issues come about, but it has been running fine for myself for some time - again, at least on the surface. Take from that what you will.
    • Now that pentafive has posted a full factory ODIN, you no longer have to go through the OTA or CWM updater from EE4 modems route. Instead you can just flash the EP4D Modem package listed below in ODIN.

Please let me know if there are any problems/issues.

---CWM EP4D STOCK FILES---

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED CWM .ZIP
    md5: 2413D8C0D97C314AD62105270370D4DC

BLOATED EP4D ODEXED CWM .ZIP
    md5: E852D91C12FDF9C9ED71D9AA67AC367C
    NOTE: This includes the stock kernel, so you MUST be rfs for this. If you are ext4, you WILL have problems.

---ODIN EP4D STOCK FILES---

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED .TAR.MD5
    NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel or recovery, but it does include the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: F97C271E70A4B39C9D7211EEF17BCBF1

BLOATED EP4D DEODEXED ZIPALIGNED .TAR.MD5 + REPACKED KERNEL & RECOVERY
    NOTE: This includes my attempt at a repacked kernel and the latest 5.0.2.7 CWM recovery found here, as well as the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: 13DD3B5300D92E10EBB000C724225990

---CWM EP4D KERNEL FILES---

REPACKED STOCK EP4D KERNEL CWM .ZIP
    md5: CE78B23A7FA6CBED9E2A927A7722A8F3

STOCK EP4D KERNEL CWM .ZIP
    md5: AEE483F6513E742349D5F3A2D65007F2

---ODIN EP4D KERNEL FILES---

REPACKED STOCK EP4D KERNEL ODIN .TAR.MD5
    md5: 17C22365FACDB239479D72E348B0D2DB

STOCK EP4D KERNEL ODIN .TAR.MD5
    md5: 93AF45F86C8B51B9EF19C789055E0B66

---ODIN EP4D MODEM FILE---
    EP4D MODEM
    md5: 6F84382BFCF28131DC572A6F9019AFE6
    NOTE: This is for the .7z file - you will need 7-zip or something similar to decompress the ODINable .tar.md5 file

---MISCELLANEOUS---
    NOTE: READ DESCRIPTION ABOVE FOR HOW AND WHY TO USE THE FILE BELOW -
    --- DO NOT FLASH IN CWM!! ---
    ADBsdcardFix.zip
    md5: 5A362D2AB8BD5D7878AC1835A4AD558E
    Nope, this is the same version people got from the OTA just a bit customized.
    Flashed over the OTA.zip, stock,rooted with CWR

Just thought I'd share my experience and also thank dwitherell for putting this together AND answering my endless noobish questions.

I reverted to EE4 using imnuts advice found HERE and then applied the OTA.zip, using the stock recovery. I followed that by flashing CWR via Odin and then rooted by following THESE instructions. That gave me the new EP4D LTE & CDMA modems.

Because I wanted to be able to use themes and install the cool camera.apk I needed my EP4D to be deodexed. I came to this thread, followed all dwitherell's instructions and am now happier with my phone than I've ever been. I have root, the latest radios, the power tweeks and the camera fix, all running at a snappy pace and MOST importantly a pretty solid Data connection, something I never had on EE4.

It's certainly not the only path here but I thought I'd share the way I got here since it did get me exactly where I wanted to be (for the next 10 minutes anyway).....:)
    Well due to something I am planning on posting in a few days, the posting of a full factory EP4D ODIN, and the fact that I found some minor hard-to-fix issues with what was originally posted here, the OP here has undergone a MAJOR overhaul (hence the changed title of the thread). Everything in the OP has been re-done, and there are no tweaks involved in any of it. Hopefully folks will still find this stuff useful. Let me know if there are any problems/issues.
    OP updated with ODIN variants of deodexed EP4D. One includes my attempt at a repacked kernel and the latest CWM recovery from imnuts, and both include the EP4D modems and should wipe data. I tested these VERY lightly (and everything seemed okay on the surface), so please let me know if there are any problems.