How to filter ads on your G1

Search This thread

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
is there a way to add an exception or something like that for this site only?

Sign up on adfree.bigtincan.com once you have created your account click on "My Exception List" on the main menu, then enter the hostname on the website form, make sure "white list" is selected and click add exception.

Then on your device, open adfree, go into the normal bootup, show the menu, select "Authenticate", enter your email address/pass phrase and click sign in.

Then you can click on "Download & Install Hosts" so that your phone will get a new list from the server and it will exclude any hosts you white list.

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
I went to add an item to my whitelist today and the site didn't seem to work. So I told it to reset my password and it still didn't work. Is it no longer possible to add items to the whitelist?

ChrisCowles

Jun 21, 2009
You could create a symlink, this would only need to be done once.

ln -sf /system/etc/hosts /etc/hosts
OK. Serious noob questions. I have lots of command line and script experience in MS-DOS but not *nix. I assume that command is entered in terminal emulator?

If a host file already exists at /etc/hosts, do I need to delete it first? Or, probably better, rename?

Thanks for your patience.

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
Latest update to hosts is a big fail!
Hosts filesize reduced from 1 mb to 600 b, and all kinds of ads appear on apps as well as websites....
Dev is deliberately trying to scuttle this? I say, keep a copy of your last hostfile before updating (like I did) so that you don't get tricked so.... Adfree is a big fail... Switching to ad aware, or manually adding to my hostffiles using a javascript....

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

---Edit---
After reverting to the last saved hostfile (2 days old) and rebooting; on starting adfree, it says no new hosts have been added... What has gone wrong the first time around? In both cases, I checked that authentication was successfully done... Anyone else facing similar issues?

Last edited:

bmdixon

Aug 2, 2010
My hosts file is pretty much empty! Been working fine till a day or two ago. Only about 600B now (yes bytes!). Is something wrong with the server?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

kevinw915

Jan 23, 2011
I got the same problem with above,
It works fine for last few weeks
But after i update it today, all ads comes out again :eek:
Please fix~~thx so much!!

VK7HSE

Aug 11, 2010
Hobart
www.vk7hse.hobby-site.org
Same for me here. My temporary solution was to disable the auto update of your hosts file and download the hosts file from the url listed in the comments within the hodts file.

A small annoyance, but I'm sure that a fix won't be far away ;)

Last edited:

340DartMan

Oct 24, 2011
Motel 6
AdFree no longer blocks ads after 0.8.41 update

I realize this is for G1 phones, but looking for a solutions from the Dev.

Every since I upgraded to AdFree 0.8.41, it is not working. I tried rebooting my phone (as the app states after upgrade), uninstalled, reinstalled AdFree, and rebooted, no help. Updated again after re installation, then tried rebooting again and no help.

This app worked after I initially installed it.

The host file (\system\etc\host) looked the same throughout the process. I thought about deleting my host file, then uninstalling and reinstalling AdFree, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. :confused:

Is there something I need to do after the update to get it to work?

I have a rooted Bionic with stock ROM.

Thank you,

Tony

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
not woking since upfate

Hi, kinda glad to see that I'm not alone.
Since I updated to sensation 2.08 stock ROM it has not worked here.
But I had problems before as well.

Hope you solv it soon.
Keep up the good work.

ToddeSwe

GldRush98

Jun 3, 2006
Taylorville, IL.
www.GldRush98.com
This app has turned in to a damn train wreck. It used to work great and now it forces landscape mode on my Galaxy Tab for no reason. And worse, now all it does is just wipe out your hosts file.
I'm done with this. Going to manual host file updates from now on.

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
now it forces landscape mode on my Galaxy Tab for no reason.

Actually it was for a good reason, there is no way to tell if someone is on a device that rotates or a TV that doesn't, except for the screen size.

And worse, now all it does is just wipe out your hosts file.

This seems to be happening only to people that turn on all extra lists as the system runs out of memory processing it all, I'm still trying to work out how to send the host names differently so it's not memory bound. Quick fix is to stop using the extra lists with lots of hostnames.

UPDATE: I ended up hiding 3 lists of hostnames for the time being, even if the server did have enough RAM the deal with requests, the compressed hosts file comes out at 14M, so I'm going to be switching to some kind of diff method, but will take some time to code.

Last edited:

brendel

Apr 28, 2007
Actually it was for a good reason, there is no way to tell if someone is on a device that rotates or a TV that doesn't, except for the screen size.

This seems to be happening only to people that turn on all extra lists as the system runs out of memory processing it all, I'm still trying to work out how to send the host names differently so it's not memory bound. Quick fix is to stop using the extra lists with lots of hostnames.

UPDATE: I ended up hiding 3 lists of hostnames for the time being, even if the server did have enough RAM the deal with requests, the compressed hosts file comes out at 14M, so I'm going to be switching to some kind of diff method, but will take some time to code.

I concur on being forced to landscape mode on the Galaxy Tab. It is very annoying. The program was actually quite easy to use before the mandatory changes were made. The choices should be the users' to choose, instead of forcing it upon them. Afterall, we're using Android, not IOS, right?;)

delta_foxtrot2

Feb 11, 2009
I concur on being forced to landscape mode on the Galaxy Tab. It is very annoying. The program was actually quite easy to use before the mandatory changes were made. The choices should be the users' to choose, instead of forcing it upon them. Afterall, we're using Android, not IOS, right?;)

if you setup auto update you don't even need to use the app 99.999% of the time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find the latest version of this app on the slideme app store.

http://slideme.org/application/adfree

This is the old thread, I started a new thread in the general section => http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40759351

================================================================================================================================================

Spoiled by ad free browsing on my normal desktop computer it became increasingly annoying seeing all the ads on my phone. However it's really easy to make them disappear, although you most likely will need root on the phone.

Download the hosts.txt file from http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt, you may need to run dos2unix over the file to remote \r characters, rename the file hosts and copy it to /system/etc on your phone and say goodbye to most ads.

You may find the list to be imperfect, for example some feedburner URLs are "blocked" as a result which can screw with RSS feeds, although it's annoying giving too much info to Google but like everything else in life some things are a trade off.

If you want to root your phone, try this article.
    I'm getting a fatal error saying that my copy is too old, I'm using latest version from market/play store 8.44

I've been dreading this day since my hdd was wiped a while back, I've uploaded a new version using a new signing key 0.8.45, but you'll need to remove the current version first.
    I really would like to see Adfree in another store like FDroid!!

Cheers.!

I was uploading to slideme.org until I had issues with old signing keys being lost.

For people wanting the current version I uploaded the apk file to the website: http://adfree.bigtincan.com/adfree.apk
    new Ad blocker

Hi folks,

I have released my own hosts-based ad blocker named AdAway, it can be found on the market with the following features:

• AdAway is Open Source
    • AdAway lets you select your own sources of hosts files
    • You can add exceptions to your Whitelist if some apps are not working with ads disabled
    • You can define extra hostnames in your own Blacklist

Market: market.android.com/details?id=org.adaway
    Source: gitorious.org/adaway

I would like to hear suggestions and ideas for possible future releases. Please look into the Issue tracker before and add your suggestions there: code.google.com/p/ad-away/issues/list
    Here, a quick edit of the host file to fix the Words with Friends and Medscape. Just copy and paste it into "/system/etc" and overwrite the host file or wherever your host file is located.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mda7sx9eovfkh03

If you wanna do this yourself, use a text editor like Notepad++ and just remove any references to server that's being overlayed in Words With Friends and any references to Medscape.