3,581 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,647

By TheManii, Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor on 4th October 2011, 08:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd December 2011, 06:12 AM |#21  
OP Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor

More
Well then dont use it, there is no other root method for the s7 and there is no other fully working CWM for the s7.

Just pretend the s7 cant be rooted and has no custom rec, as noone else has stepped up to make a rooting method for the s7 (even though it's blindly easy to prepare)

If you cant get past the "Basic understanding of the command line" and arnt willing to learn, then that's your own fault.

NONE of the automatic rooting tools work and there's likely to not be any ANY TIME SOON, HC has been out for nearly a year and noone there have been no new exploits.

Using fastboot requires 2 things: having it downloaded, using the command line, the first is provided but you have to provide the 2nd part yourself.

There is literally no other steps beyond "fastboot flash <location of your recovery.img>" the only extra steps would be "remember to extract it" "remember to put them in the same place" "remember to use the keyboard to type commands" "remember the enter button is the enter button", and all this falls under BASIC COMMAND PROMPT KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED.

If you google "command prompt tutorial" there's 2 very long/good guides on learning the basics, but as you CLEARLY did not see the thread on installing CWM 5.0 right UNDERNEATH this one, are you in fact willing to take the 15 minutes or so learning how to use the command line?

There are also just as many guides to using fastboot in general if you type in "setting up fastboot" the only thing is that they dont contain the s7 specific drivers, and all these files are provided in fastboot+adb.zip, which is on the other thread that I have previously mentioned.

This is under the assumption that you are using windows, if you are using linux you should already know this and if you are using osx, I have yet to run into one that has a s7, they are actually on their own to a degree.

As for the SD card not working, great job on not reporting it to anyone, as DJ_Steve isnt active on this forum anymore and I'm the ONLY current active 'dev' (if you call this really simple stuff deving) you wont get any support as you clearly want to be handheld though the entire process. If someone had reported so that the sd card still wasnt working mabye I woulda investigated it, as it was in fact working after I had tested so and no other person reported it not working.

tl;dr: the device cant be rooted, there's no automagic way to do so.

PS. If I were a spiteful person I'd simply remove CWM and superuser7.zip entirely, as between me and DJ_Steve constutute 95% of the active devs that have released stuff for the s7 recently. Then the s7 would have absolutely no support at all on xda. Most of the devs should be able to root completely manually without any tools at all.

(not to discount you giveen, your work is currently even more behind the scenes then me, though i'd imagine if you were nudged and I didnt already make it you'd be able to replicate most of this stuff in a couple hours)
The Following User Says Thank You to TheManii For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheManii Ad-Free

4th December 2011, 05:55 AM |#22  
Flag Tampa Bay area
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I just got done using these instructions to root my stock dell streak 7" wifi only stock oem 3.2 this does work
I wanted to add a few helpful hints to anyone having an issues.
if you get to the point where you can type fastboot and see help on how to use it at a cmd prompt then to get your device to work with it power it off and then hold down volume - and power it on THIS SETS THE DEVICE to FASTBOOT MODE. I kept going to the stock bootloader and of course fastboot cmds wouldn't respond.

you should see red font giving device info on your tablet followed by white font something waiting for usb if its not connected to the pc. once connected you should be able to successfully use at pc cmd window the flashboot recovery cmd to load clockwork 5 then when its done type reboot in same pc cmd window.
copy super7.zip to the internl sd
(clockrecovery couldn't access external sd on my unit)
power it down hold down vol+ and power it back on I got the stock dell bootloader screen. pick and option
i choose install update.pkg and it loaded to clockworkmod recovery from here I was able to find super7.zip and rooted it same as any android phone.

Dell streak 7" buttons do a few different things
unit off
power on holding volume + = bootloader
power on holding volume - = fastboot
holding both volume - and + then plugging in the usb = APX mode (not used for this walk-through)
and if you cant figure out how to get it to reboot or need to soft reset it look for the pinhole under sd card door.

Hope this helps since I kinda fumbled onto the buttons on my own again my hang up was that I didnt have the device in fastboot mode live and learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twistedme For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Twistedme Ad-Free
4th December 2011, 03:37 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I finally got mine rooted by going back to cwm 4 from 5. It is unfortunate alot of us are missing the sd card with 5. I would like a nandroid.

TheManii, I truly do appreciate your assistance and support on the Streak.
4th December 2011, 08:46 PM |#24  

More
SD card itself works, connecting it to a pc and trying to mount it as a drive doesnt.

You can get around this by removing the sd card and using a card reader, then plugging it back in.
5th December 2011, 01:04 PM |#25  
Flag NYC area
Thanks Meter: 96

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManii

Well then dont use it, there is no other root method for the s7 and there is no other fully working CWM for the s7. ..

PS. If I were a spiteful person I'd simply remove CWM and superuser7.zip entirely, as between me and DJ_Steve constutute 95% of the active devs that have released stuff for the s7 recently. Then the s7 would have absolutely no support at all on xda. Most of the devs should be able to root completely manually without any tools at all.

(not to discount you giveen, your work is currently even more behind the scenes then me, though i'd imagine if you were nudged and I didnt already make it you'd be able to replicate most of this stuff in a couple hours)

Manii,

Your work has been invaluable. Some people don't want to work and learn on their own, and those exact people should not be attempting to root their devices.

It took me two solid hours to learn to nvflash my DS7 back to 2.2.2 after flashing Honeystreak. Then I had to flash the OTA on a T-Mobile DS7 (same device). I could not have done that without your work.

So, I for one, thank you. I was holding off on rooting my DS7 (now running HC for months) because I wanted to see if I really felt I needed it. So, please don't remove your work just because one idiot can't take the time that he wouldn't have been able to do anything with his device, if you hadn't donated your time and effort.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk
16th December 2011, 10:07 PM |#26  

More
Updated all files to newest version, if you do not manually update them though their updater apps available on market, you should reinstall superuser to get the lastest things.
28th December 2011, 07:04 AM |#27  
memphis
Thanks Meter: 3

More
just did this on Honeystreak R7. with CWM 4. no problems. t-mobile unit
29th December 2011, 01:28 AM |#28  

More
Updated to 11228 - SU 3.0.3.2
29th December 2011, 10:50 PM |#29  

More
Problem wooting with CWM 5
Hey Guys,

I am having an issue installing superuser with the instructions provided here. I placed the superuser.zip in the root of the internal memory, then from CWM5 I can find it but when I select it it gives me the following error:

E: can't mount /emmc/superuser.zip
(Status 0)

I tried two different superuser.zip versions and I got the same result with both.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
29th December 2011, 10:56 PM |#30  

More
What rom are you on? There's some issues in the current CWM 5027 involving sdcard/sdcard2. I plan on fixing it in the future and possibly getting usb mounting working

The labels might be reversed so that internal sd card is labeled as external and vice-versa. Do you have an sd card in the slot?
30th December 2011, 03:23 AM |#31  

More
I am on 506. I tried both with SD card and without. CWM doesn't see the SD card at all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)