[MOD] LoSD - LoS Repair Daemon v1.3.1 [Updated 2012-08-08]

Search This thread

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
NOTE:

If you came here looking to fix recent problems with LoS in recent builds of Jelly Bean, be aware that this utility has not been tested with JB or ICS at this time. I figured LoS was a solved problem, so retired the project. I'm looking into it again, and may have something out later depending on how much has changed in the OS updates.

Introduction

Has your phone ever had a circle with a line through it instead of signal bars? Has your phone ever shown signal bars, but all calls and texts fail until you reboot? Well, those situations are called Loss of Service, or LoS, and while we can't actually stop them from happening yet, those situations can be detected and repaired. The Loss of Service Daemon (LoSD) does that, so you don't have to!

It does this by:

1. Restarting problematic radio daemons when detected.
  2. Rebooting when all attempts to fix have failed.

In addition, it can create a log dump of various system logs for debugging purposes.

Requirements

• Phone must be rooted.
  • An init.d compatible kernel.
  • Busybox must be installed.

Many ROMs and custom kernels do this automatically, but check the feature of your basic tool-chain before installing.

Installation

All files are located in my github projuct, if you'd like to get a closer look at how all LoSD works. But what you really want to to know:

Download LoSD

This will be a file you can flash using ClockWorkMod. Simply copy it to your internal or external SD card, reboot into recovery, and flash. The next reboot will be running LoSD.

NOTE : Installing LoSD will automatically remove -viperboy-'s LoSChecker, as they should not both run at the same time.

Download LoSD Uninstall

The above package will fully remove all traces of LoSD from your phone. Flash if you're having problems or no longer need/want LoSD.

WARNING! Do not wipe anything before or after install of this utility! It is not a ROM. You will be left with an unbootable system.

Usage

If you installed the flashable zip, your phone will automatically launch the LoS daemon at every boot.

Or you can call it manually to obtain debugging logs!

Code:
    LoSD dump

When called with the 'dump' command, LoSD will dump all debugging logs and exit, creating a timestamped directory in LOGPATH (/data/local/LoSD by default), as well as a tar archive named logs.tar.gz. This lets you capture situations where LoSD did not detect a LoS, and send the logs for analysis.

Frequently Asked Questions

These are taken from the README file that gets installed with LoSD. There's more dev-related info in that file, so give it a look!

Q: Will this restart the radio or the phone if I lose 4G?

No. 4G is actually a separate radio from the CDMA radio used for texts and phone calls. This script ignores the 4G radio entirely and can not trigger no matter what happens to the 4G radio.

Q: Will this restart the radio or the phone if I'm using WiFi?

No. Turning on WiFi *will* disable your 3G data, but will leave the CDMA radio in an available state so you can still receive phone calls and texts. The LoS daemon knows the difference, so feel free to use your WiFi as you please. LoSD may restart your radio while you're on WiFi, but only because your CDMA radio stopped responding and you wouldn't have received any texts or phone calls if it didn't try and fix the radio.

Q: Where do I find the logs?

Logs produced when the radio is restarted, or the phone is rebooted, are stored by default in /data/local/LoSD in a directory time and date stamped for when the fix was attempted, or a reboot was triggered.

Q: Help! My log directory is getting huge!

By default, LoSD will not dump system logs when it repairs a LoS. But you may have enabled it on your own if you modified the configuration file. If you're in a spotty coverage area, the log directory may start to fill with several timestamped log dumps, each of which are around 5MB. If you'd like to stop this, please ensure your LoSD.ini configuration file does not contain the following line:

Code:
    DUMPLOGS=1

Such a line will enable log dumping, which again, is disabled by default!

Q: I think I have LoS the daemon didn't detect. How do I get logs?

Very easily! LoSD has a built-in logging command! Just type this into a terminal, or an 'adb shell':

Code:
    su
    LoSD dump

This will create a timestamped directory just like LoSD had detected it. In addition, a file named logs.tar.gz will be dropped in your LOGPATH directory (that's /data/local/LoSD by default) you can send to us. We recommend putting it in dropbox, or some other binary-file hosting site.

Credits

• Many thanks to -viperboy- for the original concept of checking for LoS with a script.
  • HaiKaiDo gave us the idea of restarting the radio daemon before rebooting.

If I'm forgetting anyone, please PM me!

Last edited:

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Configuration

There are several settings you can apply to the LoS daemon while it's working. These settings should be placed in a file named LoSD.ini in the /data/local/LoSD directory of your phone. If you change any settings, you must either restart the daemon, or reboot your phone.

Currently recognized settings:

• DEBUG

Many log entries are only informative in nature and can be very noisy. If you are having trouble and want to see LoSD activity reported in the system logs and LoSD.log, set this to 1. Default is 0.
  • DUMPLOGS

Whether or not logs should be dumped during a LoS repair or system reboot. Should be 0 for false, or 1 for true. Default is curently 0.
  • LOGPATH

Full path to where logs should be dumped. This is also where LoSD keeps its own LoSD.log file. Default is /data/local/LoSD because the daemon knows that directory exists. Feel free to place it somewhere on your SD card. If this directory does not exist, LoSD will attempt to create it for you. Please make sure the path is writable!
  • RESTARTS

How may times should the daemon attempt to restart the radio before giving up and initiating a system reboot. Default is 2. This setting was primarily defined because ghost LoS can sometimes degrade into full LoS, and subsequent radio restarts may be necessary to regain service.
  • RESTART_LIMIT

How many successful radio restarts before LoSD considers the phone state tainted? Too many RILD restarts may damage other services, or cause other unknown side effects. After this limit is reached, further LoS events will not result in an RILD restart, but a full reboot. Default is 3.
  • SLEEP

How long to wait between radio checks, in seconds. Default is two minutes.

Example:

Code:
    LOGPATH=/sdcard/los
    RESTART_LIMIT=1

Again, if these settings are changed, you must either restart the LoS daemon, or restart the phone. To restart the daemon, execute the following in an ADB shell or terminal:

Code:
    su
    killall LoSD
    nohup LoSD &

The 'nohup' is there to prevent the command from attaching to your TTY, so you can disconnect without your session hanging. Feel free to omit this if you were just going to close your TTY.

Last edited:

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Change Log

Version 1.3.1

• Added third Airplane mode check for ICS firmwares.
  • Third firmware check also works on phones with disabled logcat.

Version 1.3.0

• Improved CDMA connection FAILED detection.
  • Added second Airplane mode check for EL13, EL26, EL29 firmwares.

Version 1.2.0

• Added debug log level.
  • Moved several informative messages to debugging only.
  • Debugging is now disabled by default.
  • Tweaked RILJ error detection for RIL_REQUEST_CDMA_GET_SYSTEMPROPERTIES.
  • Can now ignore false positive ghost LoS caused by phone calls.
  • Phone call and Airplane mode now checked before anything else.
  • CONNECTING status no longer skips LoS check.
  • Added ghost LoS check for CDMA 'Unknown data error' messages.

Version 1.0.0

• Log dumping is now disabled by default.
  • Now uses 'setprop ctl.stop/ctl.start' to try restarting RILD nicely.
  • Does a quick check to prevent multiple running copies.
  • Added a radio restart limit to avoid glitchy post-fix systems.
  • Clear radio log in case of false positive ghost LoS.

Version 0.9.0

• Added non-LoS check for transient CONNECTING status.
  • Now check for ghost LoS *after* standard LoS.
  • Calling LoSD with 'dump' now dumps and tarballs all debugging logs.

Version 0.8.1

• Fixed bug in grabbing bugreport dump.
  • Now removes -viperboy-'s LoSChecker on install.
  • Removed LoSD logcat dump in favor of persistent LoSD.log.

Version 0.8.0

• Now maintains a separate log for tracking all LoS events.
  • Added DEBUG configuration setting.

Version 0.7.1

• Fixed typo in AirplaneMode check. Should no longer reboot in airplane mode.

Version 0.7.0

• Fixed bug in radio log dump.
  • Now tries multiple times to restart RILD before reboot.
  • Added DUMPLOG as boolean to disable / enable log dumps
  • Added RESTARTS as number of RILD restart attempts before reboot.
  • SLEEP, LOGPATH, DUMPLOG, and RESTARTS are now user configurable.
  • Now searches for /data/local/LoSD/LoSD.ini for config settings.

Version 0.6.0

• Initial public release

Last edited:
Reactions: sc00basteve

Just_s

May 6, 2010
Denver/Albuquerque
Good deal, the more people working on this the better and I know viperboy had a lot of work going. I'll give your version a go today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: trifthen

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Good deal, the more people working on this the better and I know viperboy had a lot of work going. I'll give your version a go today.

Haha. Thanks. The way I see it, Viper has his hands full with way more important projects right now. With his ROM, the EK02 pull, the ICS work... why should he have to worry about this too? He was going to rewrite his script anyway, so I just took the opportunity to do it while he was distracted being useful. :)

While I was at it, I just... added a few things. That's all. :D

gedster314

Sep 7, 2007
Oxnard, Ca
How about an option that appends to a file a date and time that the los happened instead of the full log? How about a notification after it fixed a los? The viper script made the phone appear like I never have los. Good but I still would like to know how often it happens.

Reactions: trifthen

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
How about an option that appends to a file a date and time that the los happened instead of the full log? How about a notification after it fixed a los? The viper script made the phone appear like I never have los. Good but I still would like to know how often it happens.

I can do the feature to keep a running tally of LoS, but so far as I can tell, there's no way to send notices from the command line. If there is, I can't find it. Sorry.

Reactions: JohnCorleone

grandmastem

Oct 24, 2011
Question... Do I need to be uninstalling this script everytime I update, or just flash over the old? -Grand

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Question... Do I need to be uninstalling this script everytime I update, or just flash over the old? -Grand

Just flash it over the old one. I've made the install smart enough to install over previous versions of LoSD. If you're running -viperboy-'s LoSChecker, you should run his uninstall first, though.

Also:

Edited OP to reflect new 0.8.0 version. Added a setting to suppress the Info-level log messages. Now it also keeps a LoSD.log in the LOGPATH directory so you can keep a log of its activity between reboots without having the log dumping enabled.

I also updated the Configuration and Change Log sections.

Last edited:

pats4life100

Sep 27, 2010
After u install it wat u do to run it or do it run on its own

Fendulon

Sep 21, 2010
Giving this a go. I'll report in with anything that seems odd. I definitely get LoS on occasion, and the girlfriend doesn't approve haha.

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
I can do the feature to keep a running tally of LoS, but so far as I can tell, there's no way to send notices from the command line. If there is, I can't find it. Sorry.

Trifthen, I'm glad you took this over cause I had alot of other stuff going on. If I see any enhancments, I will send them your way. Also, you have my permission to include the line in your updater-script to remove my LoSChecker because I don't want it to affect users who use yours and don't uninstall mine. Just add this into your updater-script:

Code:
delete("/system/bin/LoSChecker");

And you can also add a line to remove my logs as well if you want. The files might be taking up a good bit of space...

Code:
delete_recursive("/data/local/LoS");

Those should be right, I'm at work so I'm typing from memory :)

For counting when LoS happens, you could just write a timestamp or something else into a file (>> adds into a file, > overwrites any data in a file) and then just do a wc on it (-l option reads lines, I think) which would give you the number of times that you had LoS from reading the amount of lines in the file. Just a thought.

gtuansdiamm

Nov 15, 2010
New York
Yay no more this ****

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1322960395196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322960395196.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 602

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Trifthen, I'm glad you took this over cause I had alot of other stuff going on. If I see any enhancments, I will send them your way. Also, you have my permission to include the line in your updater-script to remove my LoSChecker because I don't want it to affect users who use yours and don't uninstall mine. Just add this into your updater-script:

Code:
Code:

Thanks man. I'll do that. I'll be waiting in anticipation for those enhancements. :) I actually just got a reboot following a ghost LoS where I couldn't send any texts. It couldn't restart the radio, and boom. The best enhancement we could get is to have no need for this utility. Heh.

... and then just do a wc on it (-l option reads lines, I think) which would give you the number of times that you had LoS from reading the amount of lines in the file. Just a thought.

Yep. The new /data/local/LoSD/LoSD.log is basically everything it sends to the system log, so it's like a mirror that persists after reboots, unlike the system logs. In addition, you can turn off those pesky "Radio appears normal - no LoS." information messages by setting DEBUG=0 in the config file. :)

I just found a cut-n-paste bug in the line that dumps the bugreport, so I may just add the lines that remove LoSChecker along with that fix.

Thanks again, Viper!

DizDroid

Sep 8, 2010
Is anyone else running a hacked PRL and running into issues like I am?

EDIT: Rebooted manually, held up at splash screen, weird series of beeps and now back up....running Blazer v.12 on EG31.

Last edited:

trifthen

Nov 6, 2010
Chicago
bonesmoses.org
Is anyone else running a hacked PRL and running into issues like I am?

Well, if your hacked PRL is the 000000 one that puts you permanently on Verizon, that might be an issue. I noticed the phone killed my radio about 6 times today around the same 20-minute period while I was right on the edge of Sprint service and kept roaming on and off. I was standing in line for lunch in a building that's not nearly as tall or as deep as where I work, yet it was driving my radio nuts. LoSD's ghost LoS checks triggered multiple times, so I have plenty of logs to work with now so I can revise the check to be a little less overzealous.

I can't say for sure, but forcing yourself to roam may have a similar effect. Take it with a grain of salt.

DizDroid

Sep 8, 2010
Well, if your hacked PRL is the 000000 one that puts you permanently on Verizon, that might be an issue. I noticed the phone killed my radio about 6 times today around the same 20-minute period while I was right on the edge of Sprint service and kept roaming on and off. I was standing in line for lunch in a building that's not nearly as tall or as deep as where I work, yet it was driving my radio nuts. LoSD's ghost LoS checks triggered multiple times, so I have plenty of logs to work with now so I can revise the check to be a little less overzealous.

I can't say for sure, but forcing yourself to roam may have a similar effect. Take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the reply, keep up the great work. If I wasn't trying so hard to get out of my Sprint contract I'd ditch the .000000000000000000000000000 in a heartbeat.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE:

If you came here looking to fix recent problems with LoS in recent builds of Jelly Bean, be aware that this utility has not been tested with JB or ICS at this time. I figured LoS was a solved problem, so retired the project. I'm looking into it again, and may have something out later depending on how much has changed in the OS updates.

Introduction

Has your phone ever had a circle with a line through it instead of signal bars? Has your phone ever shown signal bars, but all calls and texts fail until you reboot? Well, those situations are called Loss of Service, or LoS, and while we can't actually stop them from happening yet, those situations can be detected and repaired. The Loss of Service Daemon (LoSD) does that, so you don't have to!

It does this by:

1. Restarting problematic radio daemons when detected.
    2. Rebooting when all attempts to fix have failed.

In addition, it can create a log dump of various system logs for debugging purposes.

Requirements

• Phone must be rooted.
    • An init.d compatible kernel.
    • Busybox must be installed.

Many ROMs and custom kernels do this automatically, but check the feature of your basic tool-chain before installing.

Installation

All files are located in my github projuct, if you'd like to get a closer look at how all LoSD works. But what you really want to to know:

Download LoSD

This will be a file you can flash using ClockWorkMod. Simply copy it to your internal or external SD card, reboot into recovery, and flash. The next reboot will be running LoSD.

NOTE : Installing LoSD will automatically remove -viperboy-'s LoSChecker, as they should not both run at the same time.

Download LoSD Uninstall

The above package will fully remove all traces of LoSD from your phone. Flash if you're having problems or no longer need/want LoSD.

WARNING! Do not wipe anything before or after install of this utility! It is not a ROM. You will be left with an unbootable system.

Usage

If you installed the flashable zip, your phone will automatically launch the LoS daemon at every boot.

Or you can call it manually to obtain debugging logs!

Code:
        LoSD dump

When called with the 'dump' command, LoSD will dump all debugging logs and exit, creating a timestamped directory in LOGPATH (/data/local/LoSD by default), as well as a tar archive named logs.tar.gz. This lets you capture situations where LoSD did not detect a LoS, and send the logs for analysis.

Frequently Asked Questions

These are taken from the README file that gets installed with LoSD. There's more dev-related info in that file, so give it a look!

Q: Will this restart the radio or the phone if I lose 4G?

No. 4G is actually a separate radio from the CDMA radio used for texts and phone calls. This script ignores the 4G radio entirely and can not trigger no matter what happens to the 4G radio.

Q: Will this restart the radio or the phone if I'm using WiFi?

No. Turning on WiFi *will* disable your 3G data, but will leave the CDMA radio in an available state so you can still receive phone calls and texts. The LoS daemon knows the difference, so feel free to use your WiFi as you please. LoSD may restart your radio while you're on WiFi, but only because your CDMA radio stopped responding and you wouldn't have received any texts or phone calls if it didn't try and fix the radio.

Q: Where do I find the logs?

Logs produced when the radio is restarted, or the phone is rebooted, are stored by default in /data/local/LoSD in a directory time and date stamped for when the fix was attempted, or a reboot was triggered.

Q: Help! My log directory is getting huge!

By default, LoSD will not dump system logs when it repairs a LoS. But you may have enabled it on your own if you modified the configuration file. If you're in a spotty coverage area, the log directory may start to fill with several timestamped log dumps, each of which are around 5MB. If you'd like to stop this, please ensure your LoSD.ini configuration file does not contain the following line:

Code:
        DUMPLOGS=1

Such a line will enable log dumping, which again, is disabled by default!

Q: I think I have LoS the daemon didn't detect. How do I get logs?

Very easily! LoSD has a built-in logging command! Just type this into a terminal, or an 'adb shell':

Code:
        su
        LoSD dump

This will create a timestamped directory just like LoSD had detected it. In addition, a file named logs.tar.gz will be dropped in your LOGPATH directory (that's /data/local/LoSD by default) you can send to us. We recommend putting it in dropbox, or some other binary-file hosting site.

Credits

• Many thanks to -viperboy- for the original concept of checking for LoS with a script.
    • HaiKaiDo gave us the idea of restarting the radio daemon before rebooting.

If I'm forgetting anyone, please PM me!
    OP updated with newer version.

Version 1.3.1

• Added third Airplane mode check for ICS firmwares.
    • Third firmware check also works on phones with disabled logcat.

This should at least keep your phone from rebooting when in airplane mode, unless they changed the location of where that's reported again in JB. Seriously, why can't they just have a status check in the same place in the logs? What does moving it actually accomplish?

Surprisingly the connectivity and ghost LoS checks that were already built for GB still looked valid for ICS after a few manual checks, so JB should be OK. If this doesn't work, it's because there's a LoS it's missing. If it *does* work, but is rebooting your phone too often, you should increase the RESTART_LIMIT setting from the default of 3. I put that in there because RILD in the early GB roms would get really flaky after being restarted so many times, and it was better to reboot after two or three radio restarts. It's likely newer radios are more stable, so you can probably bump that setting up safely.

Hope this helps. I just installed LoSD myself because it's been a while since I've actually needed it, and I'd like to see how it operates these days. I'll keep an eye on my logs, which I just bloated by setting DEBUG=1. Hooray?
    Holy crap, I never saw this thread got necro-bumped. :eek:

I'll start taking a look at it again for JB. It's likely a lot of the logcat messages and other phone status pieces I'm checking have changed, which is unfortunate. I'll need dumps though, since I'm not entirely willing to FUBAR my phone by putting JB on it just yet. ;)

Though on second thought, ICS is much closer to JB than GB is. I bet if I update to ICS at least, it'll be much more likely to work. I still get LoS occasionally due to my building's weird magic field that seems to drive my radio insane occasionally, so testing won't be a problem. I'll warn that LoS seems to be a mostly solved problem. That it's back with JB suggests some Kernel setting got missed, or because we have no JB-native modem. I seem to remember LoS being only from kernel source builds, so it's not entirely surprising it came back. I'll update my band-aid, but I'm guessing it'll be made irrelevant soon enough. At least I hope so.

Code:

And you can also add a line to remove my logs as well if you want. The files might be taking up a good bit of space...

Code:

Those should be right, I'm at work so I'm typing from memory :)

For counting when LoS happens, you could just write a timestamp or something else into a file (>> adds into a file, > overwrites any data in a file) and then just do a wc on it (-l option reads lines, I think) which would give you the number of times that you had LoS from reading the amount of lines in the file. Just a thought.

Just flash it over the old one. I've made the install smart enough to install over previous versions of LoSD. If you're running -viperboy-'s LoSChecker, you should run his uninstall first, though.

Also:

Edited OP to reflect new 0.8.0 version. Added a setting to suppress the Info-level log messages. Now it also keeps a LoSD.log in the LOGPATH directory so you can keep a log of its activity between reboots without having the log dumping enabled.

I also updated the Configuration and Change Log sections.