Full WM6 or 6.1 on Shift

Search This thread

hbendavid

Dec 4, 2006
Everyone,

This is one of my first posts. I have been reading the threads on this and cannot make heads or tails of what's going on. I have a Shift for eval purposes and after playing around with it, I think it's a pretty amazing device. HTC has crippled the phone capability in the US versions because they haven't certified it for voice use with the FCC yet. If we can access "file explorer" and some of the other features of WM6, I think a lot can be done to modify it or even to use it for voice. Has anybody made any headway as far as a new ROM that enables all of this functionality?

greatestkelvin

Nov 21, 2005
No

nobody has yet developed the crack. The reason is because nobody has the machine yet. Can u comment a bit about the battery life. Is it very disappointing?

citivolus

Jan 1, 2007
well, now that several people actually have the device in-hand, could somebody please confirm that the ability to expose full WM6 exists as described by Pawel062:

hmm dont really understand the last part about snapvue. the snapvue for athena is snapvue from shift with a small mod to re enable the softkeys and start menu. it will work on shift and also re enable the soft keys and start menu making the shift's wm6 "Full" again

This is the only thing holding me back from ordering one myself!

Pawel062

Dec 29, 2006
snapvue is actually a today plugin pretty much. it hides the soft keys and start menu of the original wm6. then from the plugin u have access to messaging, settings, and other basic stuff.

this is ment so u use vista but with only 2hrs max battery on vista many people would like to use the less power hungry wm6. i am working with paul from modaco.com on re enabling the full wm6 by putting a modded dll that will unhide the start menu. after that ull be able to get into file explorer and get a reg editor to re enable the soft keys.

heres the challlenge:
--no usb port like regular htc phones to sync the shift and get the dll on their. only usb host
--no bluetooth in snapvue/wm6 side
--no wifi in snapvue/wm6 side
--no ir in wm6 side
--vista device central doesnt see the wm6 side
--cant save files from email to windows folder
and i cant remember now the other blockades. i will continue working on it though.

pusler

Mar 7, 2007
Seems like that there is some kind of file transfer, it uses it when you install a certificate in shift control center, but how to crack it open or replicate the process for other files, and then execute the file on snapvue site ....

Think its time for a "taskforce thred" where all info is posted so everyone can work on it.

Pfeffa-rah

Sep 26, 2005
Enschede
www.pfeffa.dds.nl
Sounds a lot more difficult then I first imagined....
(No BT??? OMG! had no idea!)

Sounds like I have to be a bit more patient...
This doesnot sound like it´s gonna be solved in a couple of days....

It´s great that you´re workin on it guys!

greetz,

Pfeffa-rah

michael85

Dec 4, 2006
Just saw if you edit a contact and then try to attach a picture, you can browse the WM6 folders.
Unfortunately you can only see the pictures, because it's using the picture manager from HTC..

Silly thought: The miniUSB connector on the dongle formally is only meant to provide additional power to devices that otherwise would not be detected (External Harddrives etc). Would it be a silly thought to assume that the same miniUSB port could somehow allow us to access the SnapVue part? The miniUSB port is located at the back next to the cable leading back to the Shift.

rpawly

Jan 23, 2008
If anyone needs anything tested on a shift dont hesitate to ask. Full WM6 functionality would be greatly appreciated and would turn snapview from a gimick into a usefull tool.

Vs1979

Nov 9, 2005
OK so thanks to Michael who commented on Browsing using Contacts and Pictures, I managed to gain access to the Windows Mobile File Explorer and other software on the device.

First step is to create a new email.
From the menu Insert - Picture.
Using the browse capability go to the Windows folder
Locate Start Menu and press Ctrl C
Browse to Settings
Press Ctrl V
Go to Snapvue homescreen and goto Settings
Start Menu will be visible and you can then access File Explorer etc.

Hope this helps....

Vs1979

Nov 9, 2005
Also in my limited investigations, I have managed to almost access Windows Vista from the Windows Mobile side.

Using Resco's Explorer with its Network Access functionality, I performed the following.

Under Windows Vista, run the ShagCtrl application.
Install a Certificate, this can be any file you like.
You will see the progress bar appear and drop up and down. If you listen you will hear the sound of a new device being added.
Do NOT click OK when prompted as this will remove the device.
If you load up Device manager, you will see an "NDIS shared Internet connection" (or something similar) appear under network connections.
If you open CMD and run an IPConfig, you will see that this connection has an IP Address of 192.168.160.102 and a gateway and DHCP server of 192.168.160.1.
From the Windows Mobile side, load Resco Explorer and goto Menu - File - Network - Map Drive
In the dialog that appears, you should see Computers near Me (or similar) and under here should be your Vista machine.
If you share a drive, or select the Vista computer and put \c$ on the end, it should try to connect.
This is as far as it gets me so far. Was a late one, but I couldnt get it to actually connect.

So close yet so far.

In Addition, if you try to run a cab file it will error. This is because HTC have remove the Open command file association for Cab files.
Using your favourite WM registry editor goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cabfile\Shell\Open\command\.
Under Default type

wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete

cab files will now install correctly.

Hope this helps...

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
Ok, so I've accessed the Start menu using Vs1979s instructions, and I've found that Windows Live messenger is on the device and works ok. I'd like to try and install Opera, but I need a registry editor that isn't a CAB file in order to add back in the registry key to support CAB files - can someone point me in the direction of one?

Thanks,

Dave

danielherrero

Oct 3, 2006
Madrid
www.softwaredhr.es
Also in my limited investigations, I have managed to almost access Windows Vista from the Windows Mobile side.

Using Resco's Explorer with its Network Access functionality, I performed the following.

Under Windows Vista, run the ShagCtrl application.
Install a Certificate, this can be any file you like.
You will see the progress bar appear and drop up and down. If you listen you will hear the sound of a new device being added.
Do NOT click OK when prompted as this will remove the device.
If you load up Device manager, you will see an "NDIS shared Internet connection" (or something similar) appear under network connections.
If you open CMD and run an IPConfig, you will see that this connection has an IP Address of 192.168.160.102 and a gateway and DHCP server of 192.168.160.1.
From the Windows Mobile side, load Resco Explorer and goto Menu - File - Network - Map Drive
In the dialog that appears, you should see Computers near Me (or similar) and under here should be your Vista machine.
If you share a drive, or select the Vista computer and put \c$ on the end, it should try to connect.
This is as far as it gets me so far. Was a late one, but I couldnt get it to actually connect.

So close yet so far.

In Addition, if you try to run a cab file it will error. This is because HTC have remove the Open command file association for Cab files.
Using your favourite WM registry editor goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cabfile\Shell\Open\command\.
Under Default type

wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete

cab files will now install correctly.

Hope this helps...

How did you load Resco Explorer on Snapvue?