WMWifiRouter - v1.60 (build 1120) - December 17, 2009

Search This thread

jjmorris100

Nov 29, 2007
Ater Rebinding

Exactly where and when does it freeze?

Sorry, forgot to post. WMwifi opens with no problems, I can change config.
When I click connect, I can't read it, it flashes fast. I do see
"rebinding ...." then
Not connected
Starting ICS

I've tried it with ICS still running and not. Then the phone freezes and I have to soft reset.
Thanks for the help!

BlitzK

Nov 25, 2007
Florida
I suspect WMWifiRouter broke my wifi.

I have an AT&T Tilt. Been playing iwth wmwifirouter a lot lately, since all of a sudden my ICS stopped working. That isn't concerning nearly as much as not being able to enable WIFI anymore. Don't know why.

I uninstalled wmwifirouter, that didn't help. I go to reinstall, and it fails to reinstall. Sorta screwed here. Can anyone help me out?

I love WMwifiRouter, but I've had this happen to me a few times on my Mogul.

I can replicate it by starting WMwifi and NOT turning the wifi-switch on, and then turning it on while loading. I've also had it happen just at random now too.

When it "breaks" my wifi the only thing I can do is do a hard reset of my device to get it back.

It doesn't happen a lot, but it's obviously a PITA when it does!

Did you get your wifi working again on your tilt?

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
Sorry if this has been discussed (search didn't turnup much and I'm not reading through 73 pages), but what do you guys think about the old freeware version (.91) is that all you need or is it best to just just pay for the full version? I couldn't even find a price on the site. Thanks for any help you can provide.

BlitzK

Nov 25, 2007
Florida
Sorry if this has been discussed (search didn't turnup much and I'm not reading through 73 pages), but what do you guys think about the old freeware version (.91) is that all you need or is it best to just just pay for the full version? I couldn't even find a price on the site. Thanks for any help you can provide.

The "full pay version" isn't out yet.

I heard some say that the .88 version was "the best"... Not sure why though.

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
Does anyone have a fix to make WMwifirouter not EFF your wireless settings after you install it? Whenever I run WMwifirouter, and then close it down, I can NEVER connect to my home network again. It does something to completely FUBAR the settings. The only thing I can do is re-input all of my settings for my home network and hope it connects. Soft reset doesnt fix anything, nor does turning off wifi and then turning it back on, nor does uninstalling WMwifirouter alltogether.

Thanks

fuzzywuzzyg37

Jan 21, 2008
uninstall wmwifirouter and now my wifi doesn't work at all. I'm connected to my own network but i can't surf the net or do anything else. Help!

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
If your wifi is screwed up, you uninstalled WMWifiRouter and are on one of these devices:

TNETW12511 WIFI:
-HTC Titan / Sprint Mogul / Verizon XV6800 / P4000
-HTC TyTN II / Kaiser / AT&T Tilt / 8925 / P4550
-Elf / HTC Touch
-HTC Vox

Get the attached CAB file.

- Soft-reset device
- Install CAB
- Soft-reset device

It should reset all your Wifi and ICS settings to 'factory default'. You may still have to fiddle with the wifi network filter (switch from 'access point only' to 'computer to computer (adhoc) only' and back, switch TCP/IP settings for wifi card to static and back to DHCP) but it should work.

Attachments

• TNETW1251-WIFI-ICS-Fix.CAB
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,071

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Does anyone have a fix to make WMwifirouter not EFF your wireless settings after you install it? Whenever I run WMwifirouter, and then close it down, I can NEVER connect to my home network again. It does something to completely FUBAR the settings. The only thing I can do is re-input all of my settings for my home network and hope it connects. Soft reset doesnt fix anything, nor does turning off wifi and then turning it back on, nor does uninstalling WMwifirouter alltogether.

Thanks

This should be fixed in the new version.

You can find v0.97 RC3 here:
http://www.jongma.org/tmp/wmwr.cab

That is a test version, though.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
I love WMwifiRouter, but I've had this happen to me a few times on my Mogul.

I can replicate it by starting WMwifi and NOT turning the wifi-switch on, and then turning it on while loading. I've also had it happen just at random now too.

When it "breaks" my wifi the only thing I can do is do a hard reset of my device to get it back.

It doesn't happen a lot, but it's obviously a PITA when it does!

Did you get your wifi working again on your tilt?

You just need to use the crash cleanup option...

rajah1

Dec 5, 2007
New York
What perplexes me is why we might wish to use WMWR when ICS USB seems considerably faster? Pinging an arbitrary remote IP address, I get consistent WMWR latencies in the range of 320-450ms with one or two lost packets every 15-25 packets, sometimes more frequently, and an occasional very long latency (over 1 second). With USB, latencies are around 150ms, rock solid, losing few or no packets. So unless portability (phones are pretty portable themselves!) and/or multiple client computers are factors, what's the advantage? Moreover, there is real security on a wired USB connection versus wireless Ad Hoc...

Another question:
On my AT&T Tilt, I can connect to my laptop via ICS BT, and the laptop can see the phone with TCP/IP, but the laptop can't reach the Internet. The laptop doesn't report any available BT services on the phone, and the phone doesn't report any services on the laptop. Is there a Wiki that explains this? Anybody know what I'm doing wrong, or the secret?

Lastly, on the issue of detecting tethering:
ICS is certainly given the MAC address of the tethered client -- it's inherent in connection sharing that the host immediately above a client receives the MAC address of the client. Now, usually that MAC address is discarded by the host (here, the phone) when it, in turn, communicates with it's own host (the provider) -- normally the phone would just report it's own MAC address to the provider. But ICS could certainly be written to pass along client MACs, if any, as well. If WM6.0 ICS doesn't do that (and I assume it doesn't), then it stands to reason that one should stick with the v6.0 version of ICS. My question is, can a provider push a new version of ICS at client phones without the user knowing or pro-acting? Would the WM security paradigm permit that? Satellite TV providers do it all the time, to their Linux-based receivers...

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
wow, this prog has dropped 2 stars because it went commercial. too bad the creator made this decision.

bigdog5142

Feb 22, 2008
I'm having the same issue with this program and the "carrier resetting the connection" as WMWifiRouter attempts to connect. I am roaming right now. I will try it on my home network when I get home. I've had a few issues with the error: 67, but they seem to resolve themselves on a soft reset. I am on the Sprint Network and I am running a Sprint Mogul 6800 with the newest ROM installed. WM 6.0 and WMWifiRouter 0.97. Thanks for your help in advance.

Ok first off, what is your phones model, carrier, WM version, WMWifiRouter version, etc.

What is still unclear to me:
- does this happen after using WMWifiRouter a while, or can you not use WMWifiRouter successfully at all?
- have you tried softresets between the issues? This doesn't help?

As for the hardresets, I can recommend Sprite Backup. I hard-reset a lot myself. Set everything up as you want it, make a full backup with Sprite Backup. Now after soft-reset, simply run the EXE to restore everything. The EXE is put on your storage card so not overwritten by the restore process.

I can help you figure out what the difference in registry is, if you like. First, hard-reset the device so everything is 'normal'. Then copy the EXE from the attached ZIP to your device and run it. Click 'Dump' and wait 'til it says 'Done'. It will have created two files in the directory you put the EXE. Copy these to your computer and rename to something like 'before.registry.bin' and 'before.files.bin'. Now use WMWifiRouter so the issue occurs. After you have the issue, run the program again and dump again. Copy those files to your computer and rename to 'after.registry.bin' and 'after.files.bin'. Put the .bin files in a ZIP and post them here, and I will look at them for you.

!Kernel Panic!

Sep 13, 2007
what changes are in .97?

there is no update info on the website....

great program I use to jack in my Laptop but when will we be able to have the option of having the phone broadcast wireless B also?....I'd consider buying if I could get my PSP or DS to see my phone as an access point.

dstrack

Mar 15, 2008
Verizon XV6800 Not connecting...

Ok... I downloaded and installed ICS as my phone did not have it initially. I followed all the steps outlined in this forum. When I run WMWifiRouter it stops at "Not Connected, Waiting for Connection"... I also get a pop-up window up top that says "Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To change your connection settings, tap Settings"... I noticed someone else mentioned this error in January on this thread but I have not found a solution other than someone mentioning that the only person who got it working on this phone had a custom ROM. I thought this phone was on the compatibility list? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

porterj22

Mar 18, 2008
Jersey Shore
Hello,

I don't get good cell service where i live will this program work for me or will it just be to slow and if i need to have good service to use this is there anything out there i can use?

cyberglobe

Mar 21, 2008
Hmmm... I don't know the reasoning, but I see that this has been removed from the second post, so I figured I'd post it for anybody that may still need it...

Instructions:
- Download the attached ICSInstall.CAB and put it on your phone
- Click the CAB to start the install
- Make sure to install to the DEVICE, not to the storage card!
- Soft-reset
- Run WMWifiRouter and have fun :)

I tried this but it did not work with my UTStarcom 6700 Windows Mobile 5. Is there any solution for people who do not have ICS installed on their units?

cyberglobe

Mar 21, 2008
EDIT Jan. 11: Please try this self-installing version of ICS first. If it doesn't work for you, try the manual install below.

I was able to install ICS to my Telus P4000 (Titan/Mogul) stock rom which only ships with WModem software. Both USB and WMWiFiRouter works, but I haven't tested BT. If anyone else gets it working, please report your device model for others to find.

Will this procedure work with Windows Mobile 5 and Telus UTStarcom 6700?
Thanks.

cyberglobe

Mar 21, 2008
EDIT Jan. 11: Please try this self-installing version of ICS first. If it doesn't work for you, try the manual install below.

I was able to install ICS to my Telus P4000 (Titan/Mogul) stock rom which only ships with WModem software. Both USB and WMWiFiRouter works, but I haven't tested BT. If anyone else gets it working, please report your device model for others to find.

I have followed these instructions with Windows Mobile 5 Latest Telus Firmware for the UTStarcom 6700 But it did not work.

Any other suggestions?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT TOPIC FOR THE COMMERCIAL VERSION. IF YOU ARE A REGISTERED USER AND ARE HAVING A PROBLEM, USE THE CONTACT FORM ON THE WEB SITE !

v0.91 and older users should post here, as those are not officially supported versions.

---

WMWifiRouter website:
    http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

Directly to the trial download:
    http://www.wmwifirouter.com/trial/

---

Before February 28, 2008
    Not going to recap the entire history here, the first release was November 2, 2007, with a lot of releases between then and February 28. The exact history you can find scattered through this topic and the previous one - TalynOne's.

February 28, 2008
    v0.96 TRIAL has been released.

March 13, 2008
    v0.97 TRIAL has been released.

March 26, 2008
    v1.00 has been released (!)

April 1, 2008
    v1.01 has been released. Various small bugfixes, specific device compatibility fixes for EM-ONE, EM-ONE Alpha and W-ZERO3. Also adds semi-live traffic statistics and live connection monitoring.

1.02, 1.03, 1.04
    These are just small maintenance releases bringing nothing really new. Some device specific things added again for the Japanese users, new trial end dates, small bug fixes.

June 3, 2008
    v1.05 has been released. Various small issues fixed. Capability added for multilingual support (only English is included out of the box, though), corporate EULA changes, new EXE installer (which can 'inject' your license key into the installation, and remembers it for future installs), small GUI adjustments.

I'd like to stress again that almost all new functionality is going into the 1.20 branch, and the < 1.20 branch will remain maintenance updates only.

June 12, 2008
    v1.20 beta sent out to the first beta testers! It still has a very long way to go, but the semi-public beta (select numer of registered users only) is probably not far off!

July 23, 2008
    v1.09 released and the beta is still going steady. Hopefully a public release soon!

August 13, 2008
    v1.10 released.

August 25, 2008
    v1.20 beta build 500 upgraded to 'semi-public' status - available to all paying customers. Newer builds available every few days, these will not be announced.

September 3, 2008
    v1.11 released - probably the last 1.10 version!

September 11, 2008
    v1.20 released

November 11, 2008
    v1.25 released

March 20, 2009
    v1.30 released

July 3, 2009
    v1.50 released

July 9, 2009
    v1.52 released

Backlight timeout issue fix: http://support.wmwifirouter.com/knowledge/KB0907027/

December 17, 2009
    v1.60 released
    -- reserved --

-- reserved --
    Hmmm... I don't know the reasoning, but I see that this has been removed from the second post, so I figured I'd post it for anybody that may still need it...

Instructions:
    - Download the attached ICSInstall.CAB and put it on your phone
    - Click the CAB to start the install
    - Make sure to install to the DEVICE, not to the storage card!
    - Soft-reset
    - Run WMWifiRouter and have fun :)
    Not really.. We're aware this conflicts on some devices, it's quite likely because many devices have a single antenna that is used for both bluetooth and wifi (and thus can interfere with eachother), combined with drivers that are not built to handle it. That's 'informed speculation', though ;)

I can assure you however, even though WMWifiRouter also offers the option to share over bluetooth, nothing is done with/to your bluetooth stack unless you choose a connection profile that actually uses it (this is true as well for cellular, wifi, usb). It's not something WMWifiRouter is doing, it's something your device is (not) doing.

I do know there some registry edit you can do on a device or two that enables simultaneous use (in the driver?). I think it was for the Athena, but not sure, been a while since I've seen that hack.

And BTW, I see you mentioned the data connection being interrupted during a call and resuming after... that is not "normal" behaviour as you describe it, in fact, it depends entirely on the network you are using and it's capabilities. For comparison, my data connection never drops when I get a call (it'll happily keep going), while for other people calls do not come through at all when a data connection is active. For more information, see http://support.wmwifirouter.com/knowledge/KB0802013/.