difference between[E] and [G] icon?

Search This thread

bochey1314

Feb 23, 2008
I found sthg really weird in my unlocked ATT tilt today. I m curently using T-mobile. As many of you know that, you rarely get signal/reception in basement if you are using t-mobile. but today, when i went down to the basement, reception was gone w/ the E icon, then after a while, the E icon was changed to G, then the signal was detected and I could make phone call too. and the carrier on the screen is still T-mobile. Nothing changed except the E/G Icon. I then checked w/ my friend who is also using T-mobile(nokia phone), no reception at all. Does any one know what the difference between E and G icon on top of the screen is? will I be charged for some type of service fee or something if I make calls or use the Tmobile web w/ the [G] icon? please tell me if you guys know anything about it.
thanks in advance...

united002

Nov 8, 2007
Dundee/Louth
The "E" is picking up an edge reception, i get it in the UK sometimes because i have a crappy t-mobile signal in my house. When its displayed i cant make phonecalls/txts etc so might be picking up another carriers signal because i dont think t-mob uses edge here. The "G" is gprs just the basic slow phones signal.

XtreMe_G

Jan 11, 2007
G is when GPRS is available, E is when EDGE is available. No extra charge. This could have been easily answered by looking in the manual.......page 29

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
I guess this may be different for T-Mobile (and could possibly vary on the ROM you're using) but the E on my device is for EDGE service, and G is for 3G service. 3G, obviously, is the better of the two. But I'm on AT&T of course...

bochey1314

Feb 23, 2008
I guess this may be different for T-Mobile (and could possibly vary on the ROM you're using) but the E on my device is for EDGE service, and G is for 3G service. 3G, obviously, is the better of the two. But I'm on AT&T of course...

I don't think T-mobile has 3G here in NY.

Thanks for all the replies above
so, the signal of GPRS is stronger than the EDGE? if yes, then we are all able to get reception even if in basement. No need to get verizon anymore... lol
but why can't my friends' phones picked up any GPRS signal? is that because their phones don't support GPRS?

swiftgs

Sep 18, 2007
Nono

No no no, g is not 3g, G is GPRS, the slower version of EDGE, thats the reason why you can call in your basement now!

G is GPRS
E is EDGE
3G is UMTS
H is HPSDA

first is the slowest, last is the fastest, so if the fastest is not availible, it switches to a slower one, like happened in the TS situation

Exousia

Oct 28, 2007
Washington DC
My icon used to pretty much always be on 3G, sometimes switching to E when I drove to my brothers house which is about 25 miles away. But recently I haven't been seeing 3G at all, but only H. I did see E a couple days ago, but I haven't seen 3G in more than a week now. I thought H was only supposed to show up when you were using a data network or something? At least that's what I read somewhere on here a while ago... Any explanations?

XtreMe_G

Jan 11, 2007
that H is wat you want to see

first H shows up when downloading data means you're using HSDPA, but is H shows up when u're not downloading data, you have HSUPA too

Exousia

Oct 28, 2007
Washington DC
that H is wat you want to see

first H shows up when downloading data means you're using HSDPA, but is H shows up when u're not downloading data, you have HSUPA too

Yeah, I know HSDPA is what I want to see the most, but when the hell did AT&T have HSUPA? I live in the Washington DC/Northern Virginia Metro area... Anyone else from the area noticing this?

unwired4

Feb 27, 2007
London
And as for the OP's question about E and G, there is no difference between signal strength and ability to make voice calls. E just means that the cell offers Enhanced G.

Whether you see a G or and E (or 3g or H) is dictated by the data connection offered by the cell - which has no baring on voice at all.

If you have any signal, you should be able to make voice calls - the speed of the data connection (ie for web/email etc) is the only thing indicated by the Letter - except that 3g/H can also do simultaneous voice and data where G (and E) can't.

Poetique

Aug 22, 2007
Alabama
No no no, g is not 3g, G is GPRS, the slower version of EDGE, thats the reason why you can call in your basement now!

G is GPRS
E is EDGE
3G is UMTS
H is HPSDA

first is the slowest, last is the fastest, so if the fastest is not availible, it switches to a slower one, like happened in the TS situation

That's what I thought, but then I tested my data connection speeds and when I'm supposedly on basic GPRS the speeds are much greater than anything either GPRS or EDGE could accomplish (unless EDGE was having a perfect day).

I did notice however that it only shows G instead of 3G when I force the phone NOT to use 3G while 3G is available in the area. If I allow it to use 3G service it shows up as "3G" and the speeds remain the same. As soon as I force it not to use "3G" it shows up as just "G" but the speeds stay the same.

"E" or EDGE always seems to be indicative of the correct speed. But for my device it switching between G & 3G are one in the same, and the speed doesn't change at all.

Could just be a glitch with the software on my phone, but that's how it is for me.

WebAgents

Feb 25, 2008
- except that 3g/H can also do simultaneous voice and data where G (and E) can't.

Thanks for that.

That will be the reason that when I used a tomtom one and got traffic via my bluetooth phone, a traffic update would kill any call I was making.

I assume I am correct in also expecting my TyTn II to ignore voice calls (or drop gprs data connection) if I am using the TyTn II for internet access for my laptop and a voice call comes in?

Twenty4

Oct 22, 2007
Baltimore, MD
My icon used to pretty much always be on 3G, sometimes switching to E when I drove to my brothers house which is about 25 miles away. But recently I haven't been seeing 3G at all, but only H. I did see E a couple days ago, but I haven't seen 3G in more than a week now. I thought H was only supposed to show up when you were using a data network or something? At least that's what I read somewhere on here a while ago... Any explanations?

Same thing here in Baltimore. I have not seen my 3G icon in a while, only the H.
data speeds seem to be the same though.

CRACING

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2008
125 Miles From Sea
My G Icon changes to E Icon

Hello,

I have a small problem...

First I will Switch ON my wizard. After Switch ON I will see a G Icon at top of the today screen ( That is correct ). When I press the power button, the screen goes off (i.e Goes to Sleep Mode ) and again I press it to wake up. but now the G icon will change to E icon. :confused:

I not understanding why this happens:confused:.........

Also when i connect to GPRS internet but it shows as I am connected to EDGE with E icon ( This happens on when I wakeup the device )

My probem is that why the icon should change when I wakeup the device.

To confirm you that, I have also disabled the "EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon" setting in registry.

This problem will not occur in wm5 but only in wm6 or wm6.1.

In wm5 There is no E icon or it is not showing as "connected to EDGE" when I connect to GPRS internet.

Please any one help...............:eek:

Thanks in advance
Srikanth.K

Last edited: