Installing Windows 8 on my Windows 7 computer

Search This thread

Wossner

Nov 27, 2011
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
LG V30
Hi all!

Well I'm running W8 dev installed in host (not virual) and it works great on my 6 years old computer.

I think it's awesome, it takes lots of memory but it wors so fast.

I was running w7 x86 before trying this and it was quite slow for my comp also for playing (league of legends around 25-30fps). Now I'm running w8 64 and it has been improved from 30-40fps (my graphic card is quite old). Maybe cause it's 64 instead of 32 bits?

My comp is an AMD athlon 64 3800 x2, 2GB DDR, 320GB SATA and nVidia 7800 GT CO

Anyway I recommend for everyone to try it, I've been using it a week from now and I think it's awesome but there're some apps that doesn't works at all of the Metro UI such as Socialité and the Weather app

Enviado desde mi U20i usando Tapatalk

With 2GB of ram a 64bit os is kind a nonsense

davenan

Aug 30, 2007
Well its still in a development mode, so it shouldnt be a surprise drivers are a pain in the butt to install, once the official copy is released it should include all possible drivers for the hardware, for now just manually install the drivers and it will work with windows 7 drivers because lets face it its just windows 7 with a facelift :), but its just a developer preview so lets see what will happen!

Dec 22, 2011
At this stage, could the Windows 8 developer preview be used as my primary OS? Meaning, will programs I use on a regular basis work fine on it this early on?

Last edited:

k1chy

Oct 9, 2011
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy M30s
At this stage, could the Windows 8 developer preview be used as my primary OS? Meaning, will programs I use on a regular basis work fine on it this early on?

Well, i have been using Dev preview from the day it has been released.
Observed a couple of random restarts while poking around rasdial in cmd for my PPPoE dialer automation (my mistake :eek:)

You can use the OS for daily (light) use wouldn't recommend for gaming or other highly crucial tasks.

Just my 2 cents.

Coelho_rj

Apr 15, 2011
Observed a couple of random restarts while poking around rasdial in cmd for my PPPoE dialer automation (my mistake :eek:)

You can use the OS for daily (light) use wouldn't recommend for gaming or other highly crucial tasks.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Did exactly the same;

Reactions: k1chy

cskillz

Oct 5, 2011
I solved this myself!
If you wan't links i can't post them so pm me for them!
Iam In same situation links and ideas would be appreciated. Thank You

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 AM ----------

I solved this myself!
If you wan't links i can't post them so pm me for them!

Iam in same situation any sites or ideas on how to, would be much appreciated. Thank You.

JulianoLoren

Jan 1, 2012
Does Windows 7 applications runt on this?
Yes

And Can you upgrade from Windows 7?
You can install new one and Window 8 will list all windows version on your computer when boot ;)

Spike-NL

Dec 30, 2011
Ulft
You guys made me excited. i am surely gonna try it out. Just install it on another HD. That way you can choose which OS you want to run. right?

Wetzel402

You guys made me excited. i am surely gonna try it out. Just install it on another HD. That way you can choose which OS you want to run. right?

If installing to two separate HDD's you can boot the different OS's by selecting your HDD boot priority in the BIOS. You could also partition one HDD and you would then be prompted with a dual boot screen asking you to choose the OS to boot.

Reactions: banderz777

Cafeboy

Jul 5, 2010
Corpus Christi
Hmmmm so how do you partition your hard drive without formating your data... If I'm running 7 on boot camp iMac

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the answer for everyone else is yes and yes and for the most part drivers from windows 7 also work.
    EDIT: apps will be lost but settings and files will be kept.

Some stuff you need to right click and choose compatiblity mode.

FYI the windows phone emulator does some freaky **** to win8 so don't try running it, you've been warned.
    I tried out Windows 8 about a month ago and felt that it was a decent experience. Unfortunately for me though it wouldnt find the driver for my wireless card (WRT54GS) so I ended up uninstalling it.

Maybe its me but I don't see the big deal about it. I didnt really use the metro UI and the new changes to explorer didnt make or break the experience, it was just meh.
    how to disable the metro style???
    Use Blue poison
    Blue Poison

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Did exactly the same;

If installing to two separate HDD's you can boot the different OS's by selecting your HDD boot priority in the BIOS. You could also partition one HDD and you would then be prompted with a dual boot screen asking you to choose the OS to boot.