[NC][1.2][1.3] ManualNooter 4.6.16

Search This thread

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
I'm having the same good luck as billingdl on a factory-reset 1.4.1 install. I reset the device using Quick Settings->Device Settings->Device Info->Erase & Deregister Device, rebooted, registered with BN, then immediately booted off of SD and installed manualnooter-5-12-18.zip. After rebooting, the sync indicator came on, and the device became nearly unresponsive for extended periods. After an hour or so of "settling down", everything appears to be working well. After reinstalling some apps, I have experienced hangs on restarting, accompanied by that sync indicator.

I've installed apps from the Android Market, downloaded content from B&N with no problems. I've also set up Enhanced Email with a corporate account. So far, I haven't encountered anything broken.

A few issues:
1. I would love to install Swiftkey X as a replacement keyboard. I'll try putting it in /system/app with Root Explorer per the Nook Color Tools note.

2. I think working around the B&N limited settings panel is going to be annoying. Has anybody tinkered with putting the full Android version on a Nook?

3. The google Contacts app is missing. I should be able to figure this one out.

4. When I pull up the Android Market in a desktop browser, the Nook Color shows up as "Phone".

5. Google Currents and many other apps show as not compatible with this device, although it was fine on CM7.1. I suspect this is related to issue 4. I'm not up enough on Android innards to know where to start fixing this. Is this a build.prop issue?

6. There is no way to select other calendars in the google Calendar app. I've got several associated with my gmail account, and unfortunately, the "wrong" one is showing. This is not really something essential, but if there's a quick fix, I'm interested!

Last edited:

billingdl

Apr 30, 2011
Minnesota
After rebooting, the sync indicator came on, and the device became nearly unresponsive for extended periods. After an hour or so of "settling down", everything appears to be working well. After reinstalling some apps, I have experienced hangs on restarting, accompanied by that sync indicator.

I didn't see any of the unresponsiveness or hangs on restarts.

A few issues:
1. I would love to install Swiftkey X as a replacement keyboard. I'll try putting it in /system/app with Root Explorer per the Nook Color Tools note.

I use a modified build.prop (see attached) to fool Market and Amazon Appstore that my NC is a Samsung Verizon Galaxy S Facinate. I've confirmed that Swiftkey X is available for download using this build.prop. This should also address #4 and 5, too.

2. I think working around the B&N limited settings panel is going to be annoying. Has anybody tinkered with putting the full Android version on a Nook?

What is "B&N limited settings panel" referring to?

I did install the B&N Nook for Android app on my NOOKcolor (before, as a possible workaround to the inability to download from BN Shop) and it doesn't do a thing...just displays my Zeam Launcher workspace.

My husband's and my devices both have the Contacts app, but we didn't start at 1.4.1 stock.

6. There is no way to select other calendars in the google Calendar app. I've got several associated with my gmail account, and unfortunately, the "wrong" one is showing. This is not really something essential, but if there's a quick fix, I'm interested!

I don't use the Calendars app, so don't have any ideas on this one...other than I see a "Calendars" selection on the menu within the app. When I click it, it seems to FC the app, tho.

Attachments

• build.prop.txt
    3 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: bobstro

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
I didn't see any of the unresponsiveness or hangs on restarts.
It's happened a couple of times now. It's only on a full power-off and restart. The sync indicator comes on and it hangs. Sometimes, it reboots. After this initial pause, it behaves well. I suspect there's some Market or other update activity triggering it.
I use a modified build.prop (see attached) to fool Market and Amazon Appstore that my NC is a Samsung Verizon Galaxy S Facinate. I've confirmed that Swiftkey X is available for download using this build.prop. This should also address #4 and 5, too.
Thanks for that. I'm still learning some of the Adroid way on these things.

I did locate the Swiftkey apk and moved it to /system/app per the NookColor Tools hint. It didn't work intially, but today, after some rebooting, it appeared. This issue is nicely resolved!

Do you see Google Currents in the Market? That's the only thing I really don't see yet. It doesn't appear for my wife's rooted Nook Tablet either, but I quite liked it on my CM7.1 NC, and would like to add it.

HuluPlus still complains.

I assume these are build.prop issues, so I'll try tinkering with the example you provided.
What is "B&N limited settings panel" referring to?
The control panel -- much more limited on B&N than on Cyanogenmod, for example.
I did install the B&N Nook for Android app on my NOOKcolor (before, as a possible workaround to the inability to download from BN Shop) and it doesn't do a thing...just displays my Zeam Launcher workspace.
Yes, well I'm sure it's feeling a bit insecure now!
My husband's and my devices both have the Contacts app, but we didn't start at 1.4.1 stock.
I do have the B&N Contacts app, which offers to import Google contacts, but I would like "the real thing". I should be able to find this with a bit of poking about.
I don't use the Calendars app, so don't have any ideas on this one...other than I see a "Calendars" selection on the menu within the app. When I click it, it seems to FC the app, tho.
Mine doesn't FC, but it doesn't pop up the usual list. I sync several calendars to my android calendar (google, tripit, exchange and toodledo), but I only want to see exchange on this display. Unfortunately, it's picked the useless toodledo one to show me. This is pretty minor.

Issues I'd like to investigate further:

1. Power consumption seems high. I noticed the screen doesn't always shut completely off.

2. I'd like to get an overclocked kernel on board.

Thanks to this great community, all of my "must have" showstopper issues with 1.4.1 have been resolved. I've got a fully functional reader-focused interface now. My B&N subscriptions are updating and downloading nicely. The Nook Color App Manager lets me put Market apps on my B&N home screen. My B&N Walled Garden has a side gate I can use to escape, when needed. I can wander over to the seedy Kindle part of town, when needed. I can always dual-boot with CM7.1 on SD when I want to roam the gritty Android streets.

EDIT: A few more things that are tested and working:
* Netflix streaming
* HBO Go (works but a bit grainy. watchable.)
* Max Go (works but a bit grainy. watchable.)
* lcd density (can change, but B&N 'n' button bar is truncated at left.

Last edited:

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I'm having the same good luck as billingdl on a factory-reset 1.4.1 install. I reset the device using Quick Settings->Device Settings->Device Info->Erase & Deregister Device, rebooted, registered with BN, then immediately booted off of SD and installed manualnooter-5-12-18.zip. After rebooting, the sync indicator came on, and the device became nearly unresponsive for extended periods. After an hour or so of "settling down", everything appears to be working well. After reinstalling some apps, I have experienced hangs on restarting, accompanied by that sync indicator.

I've installed apps from the Android Market, downloaded content from B&N with no problems. I've also set up Enhanced Email with a corporate account. So far, I haven't encountered anything broken.

A few issues:

4. When I pull up the Android Market in a desktop browser, the Nook Color shows up as "Phone".

5. Google Currents and many other apps show as not compatible with this device, although it was fine on CM7.1. I suspect this is related to issue 4. I'm not up enough on Android innards to know where to start fixing this. Is this a build.prop issue?

1. I am happy to see that you got this to work. For everyone else, once you have downloaded and installed Swiftkey, move the apk from /data/app to /system/app, make sure the permissions match all others, reboot the device, go into NC tools, and select the keyboard.

2. I agree with you, the settings are very limited. We walk a fine line when developing for the NC, most of the people that utilize this project want to have the extras that are offered by the stock firmware. Since the software is almost all closed source, it makes it tricky programming stuff for the device, while still keeping all of the B&N stuff intact. People that utilize this project, also don’t like waiting for these updates, so it would have to be a completely different project, and it would most likely be version specific. You can use the program “Any Cut” or “Better Cut” to try to gain access to some of the hidden settings, a lot of them simply don’t work.

3. I think you are the first to comment on the lack of google contacts. I feel that there are better replacement options in the market. All of the sync software has always been included in this project, so you should not run into problems with programs needing sync access to your google contacts.

4. You can make changes to your build.prop to change this. I currently have mine listed as Samsung Nexus S. If you make changes, make sure that you go into “Manage Application,” “Clear data” and “Clear cache” for the market, clear for the Amazon Appstore too, and then reboot. The changes will be reflected right away on your Amazon appstore account, but can take a couple hours for the Android Market.

5. See number 4. Just find what changes it will take for you to gain access. The screen dpi most of the times will need changed from 169.33 to 160.

6. The Google calendar is a very basic function app, so most people will choose a better option from the market. You can try to go into your calendar settings menu from a desktop, and make sure that all of your calendars are checked to “show in list.”

framitz

May 1, 2011
RSM, CA
Can some people give this updated version a try? Just install this after a fresh upgrade to 1.4.1, no need to install any prier version. I can’t possible test everything out, so I need people to report back with any problems that they run into.

Nook Color on old partition scheme

Deactivated and wiped via Nook Settings
Flashed update-nc-stock-1.2-signed.zip from Bootable CWM mSD
Copied nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip to root via USB
Booted and while setting up, it rebooted and upgraded to 1.41 stock
Registered, downloaded books and apps, then let it "cook" for an hour to be sure all is stable.
Applied manualnooter-5-12-18.zip
Market updated quickly to latest

NO APPS2SD, repartitioned mSD with CWM, still no APP2SD, applied permissions, still no APP2SD! Virtually all else is good, but this has been driving me crazy since 1.3 manual nooted. I have tried several known working mSD cards with no improvement.

I added ADWLauncher EX after messing up Zeam, by updating it manually to a newer version (the center button to open the app tray was missing). Seems to work better so far with ADW Launcher anyway (personal preference).

My contacts updated immediately upon signing in to the Market with no problem at all and they show in B&N contacts app and Gmail.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobstro

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
1. I am happy to see that you got this to work. For everyone else, once you have downloaded and installed Swiftkey, move the apk from /data/app to /system/app, make sure the permissions match all others, reboot the device, go into NC tools, and select the keyboard.
I did have to reboot to make Swiftkey show up in NC Tools, but once I did that, it worked normally.
[...] Since the software is almost all closed source, it makes it tricky programming stuff for the device, while still keeping all of the B&N stuff intact.
This is actually more of a question of mine: Is the B&N stuff a shell that just replaces the stock Android functions (e.g. control panel), or has it been re-written? I'm tinkering with moving apks over, but don't know enough yet to determine which ones might work.
People that utilize this project, also don’t like waiting for these updates, so it would have to be a completely different project, and it would most likely be version specific.
Aye, agreed. And I really want to emphasize, this really rocks as-is. I'm just thinking ahead on a few things. I really appreciate all these efforts!
[...] I think you are the first to comment on the lack of google contacts. I feel that there are better replacement options in the market. All of the sync software has always been included in this project, so you should not run into problems with programs needing sync access to your google contacts.
After many months of experimenting on my phone, I found one program -- Enhanced Email -- that does a really great job of integrating my Exchange email, contacts and calendar into the native Google Android apps, so I don't need separate "work" and "personal" setups. If all the sync framework is there, I should be able to figure this one out. I'm sure it's a niche need. Again, I'm well into the "nice to have" category here. All the "must haves" are working.
4. You can make changes to your build.prop to change this. I currently have mine listed as Samsung Nexus S. If you make changes, make sure that you go into “Manage Application,” “Clear data” and “Clear cache” for the market, clear for the Amazon Appstore too, and then reboot. The changes will be reflected right away on your Amazon appstore account, but can take a couple hours for the Android Market.
Thanks for the tips. I managed to get a black screen on boot editing my build.prop. I am hoping to get Hulu Plus and Google Currents to load, so I'm poking in settings from my Moto Droid 2. I need to come up with a recovery mechanism.

This is really great stuff. For the time being, the 1.4.1 software is meeting my needs. It's really great to see progress so far along in only a few days! You guys rock!

How long does it normally take for the Android Market to update? The old version is very slow, though it does work. Any way to speed it up?

Last edited:

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
Nook Color on old partition scheme

Deactivated and wiped via Nook Settings
Flashed update-nc-stock-1.2-signed.zip from Bootable CWM mSD
Copied nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip to root via USB
Booted and while setting up, it rebooted and upgraded to 1.41 stock
Registered, downloaded books and apps, then let it "cook" for an hour to be sure all is stable.
Applied manualnooter-5-12-18.zip
Market updated quickly to latest

NO APPS2SD, repartitioned mSD with CWM, still no APP2SD, applied permissions, still no APP2SD! Virtually all else is good, but this has been driving me crazy since 1.3 manual nooted. I have tried several known working mSD cards with no improvement.

I added ADWLauncher EX after messing up Zeam, by updating it manually to a newer version (the center button to open the app tray was missing). Seems to work better so far with ADW Launcher anyway (personal preference).

My contacts updated immediately upon signing in to the Market with no problem at all and they show in B&N contacts app and Gmail.

Thank you for reporting. APPS2SD was left out of this. To fix the APPS2SD problem, I would have to include a kernel into the project. The correct kernel for firmware version 1.2 was used in MN 4.5.25 and 4.6.16, but the kernel was not upgraded for firmware version 1.3. The kernel was a direct copy of the B&N 1.2 kernel, but included the modules for APPS2SD to work. I read too many reports of people not wanting to use MN 4.5.25 or 4.6.16 because it included a kernel, and they felt that it was going to cause some kind of problem. I did not read about many people wanting to use the APPS2SD feature, and I wanted to try to make a package that would not be version specific. “Dalingrin” has always made great kernels in the past that included the APPS2SD modules, but include a ton of other non stock features. I would be willing to put together a stock kernel with the APPS2SD modules as a separate installation in the near future for people like you that want this feature, but for the time being, that feature is left out.

This is actually more of a question of mine: Is the B&N stuff a shell that just replaces the stock Android functions (e.g. control panel), or has it been re-written?

How long does it normally take for the Android Market to update? The old version is very slow, though it does work. Any way to speed it up?
It is more on the side of re-written, if you want to call it that. It is more like they took someone else code, copied/paste, and hacked up the code. A lot of what they did is just sloppy bad work.

The market should update pretty fast, sometime if you interrupt the process by manually starting to download stuff, the file will just download to /cache/download, and will take forever. You should be able to go into the folder /cache/download, and manually click to install it.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

1. I started from a 1.4.1 update that had been MN to 4.6.16a and then 4-12-16-test.
2. I wasn't prompted to select Zeam launcher. I had already installed HomeCatcher previously.
3. My Market was already at the latest version...and it stayed at that. Downloads work perfectly!! :)
4. BN downloads work perfectly!! :)
5. Gmail works.
6. Installed Adobe AIR from Amazon Appstore perfectly!
7. Rebooted.
8. Whole new, cool "welcome" screen. :)
9. Had to reset my wallpaper with Wallpaper Wizardrii because it was no longer filling the scree.
10. Everything else is still perfect!

Anything else you want me to check?

Thank you for trying and reporting back so fast. A lot of what I would like to check at this point is,
* Does all of the B&N features work correctly? The continue reading button is at least working on my end, but I don’t use a lot of the other B&N features to test. The auto-download magazine/newspaper feature I don’t use.
* Does in-store work? The closest B&N to me is 25 miles across town.
* Overall product and market use
* Day-to-day use stuff that people encounter

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
I was having some issues with my 1.3 rooted NC that required a wipe, so I took it back to the factory 1.1.1. Updated to 1.4.1, registered the nook, then rebooted and installed MN 5.12.18.

So far everything is working great. Old market came up at first, but it's updated to the new one. Downloaded titanium backup, reinstalled all my apps, (haven't tried them all, that could take some time) and so far everything is running smoothly, market apps are updating, contacts appear, all of my google calendars are showing up, perfect!

framitz

May 1, 2011
RSM, CA
Thank you for reporting. APPS2SD was left out of this. To fix the APPS2SD problem, I would have to include a kernel into the project. The correct kernel for firmware version 1.2 was used in MN 4.5.25 and 4.6.16, but the kernel was not upgraded for firmware version 1.3. The kernel was a direct copy of the B&N 1.2 kernel, but included the modules for APPS2SD to work. I read too many reports of people not wanting to use MN 4.5.25 or 4.6.16 because it included a kernel, and they felt that it was going to cause some kind of problem. I did not read about many people wanting to use the APPS2SD feature, and I wanted to try to make a package that would not be version specific. “Dalingrin” has always made great kernels in the past that included the APPS2SD modules, but include a ton of other non stock features. I would be willing to put together a stock kernel with the APPS2SD modules as a separate installation in the near future for people like you that want this feature, but for the time being, that feature is left out.

Thanks for the clarification as to why apps2sd stopped with 1.3. I can live with it. It does help when a B&N app wants to update as with Market apps installed it refuses to add or update apps from B&N. Books download fine which is important to me. I haven't tried in store reading.

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
[...] APPS2SD was left out of this. To fix the APPS2SD problem, I would have to include a kernel into the project. The correct kernel for firmware version 1.2 was used in MN 4.5.25 and 4.6.16, but the kernel was not upgraded for firmware version 1.3. The kernel was a direct copy of the B&N 1.2 kernel, but included the modules for APPS2SD to work.
Ah, good info. I wasn't aware of the APPS2SD limitation. I need to look into that. I'd like to get an overclocked kernel going, and I just realized the importance of the APPS2SD functionality tonight. I naively assumed it was just like CM in terms of application handling.
[...] I would be willing to put together a stock kernel with the APPS2SD modules as a separate installation in the near future for people like you that want this feature, but for the time being, that feature is left out.
I would be interested in that!

A few general observations after a few more hours intense use:
* Does all of the B&N features work correctly? The continue reading button is at least working on my end, but I don’t use a lot of the other B&N features to test. The auto-download magazine/newspaper feature I don’t use.
I have a magazine subscription and am able to see current and past issues (well, one so far). All content downloads just fine and is readable.
Market has updated. General experience is good, but I get long hangs now and then. I may have loaded more stuff on than this configuration can really handled. I'm trimming it back to basics.
Mostly smooth sailing overall.

Thanks again!

Reactions: GMPOWER

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I came across something that was missing in the last file, live wallpapers were overlooked, and I did not find that out until tonight. Here is a link for that updated version, I also went ahead and pulled the updated superuser file, and put it into this version. No real need to update from the last one unless you would like to have live wallpapers.

LINK

Also, another issue that I would be interested in finding out
*The individuals that in past could not load MN 4.6.16 because of bootloops, and were stuck with 4.5.18, if this version works correctly?

Last edited:

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
I came across something that was missing in the last file, live wallpapers were overlooked, and I did not find that out until tonight. Here is a link for that updated version, I also went ahead and pulled the updated superuser file, and put it into this version. No real need to update from the last one unless you would like to have live wallpapers.

LINK

*The individuals that in past could not load MN 4.6.16 because of bootloops, and were stuck with 4.5.18, if this version works correctly?

I had live wallpaper working fine with 5.12.18
Can't check the bootloop issue at the moment. The NC that I had which bootlooped on 4.6.16 I ended up running back down to 1.3 and shipping out on Friday, as it was a Christmas gift for someone, and I wanted to be sure it got there in time for Christmas. Of course, just before the big break on 1.4.1.
I've got another NC coming in this week. I'll see if it has the bootloop issue, and if so, if these new manualnooters fix it.

bluepen61

Apr 26, 2011
Geneseo

LINK

I took my NC back to 1.0.1 then updated to 1.4.1 and voila, no live wallpaper tab. So I am delayed in upgrading to 1.4.1 and applying MN 5.12.19. Curious to see of calendar works. I'll report back as soon as I get a viable 1.4.1 NC.

sangahm

Feb 24, 2008
Thank you for trying and reporting back so fast. A lot of what I would like to check at this point is,
* Does in-store work? The closest B&N to me is 25 miles across town.

I just applied MN to my stock 1.4.1 and went to the B&N store. The Read InStore function works as expected with no issues that I could see. So BIG win!

Reactions: framitz

lekofraggle

Oct 10, 2010
Google Pixel C
Hey all, thanks. This is working well. I still have one issue, but only one. If I try to buy (not download free) an app from market (not amazon), I get the "an error occurred" issue. This is more of an annoyance than anything. I can buy it through the web market even on the Nook itself.

On a side note, for those who want to get a few more settings back, and are annoyed at Nook color tools' interface, try this. I cannot take credit, it is from the NT devs forum.

-Download anycut.
-Open, and make a new shortcut
-Choose activity
-Wait a while for the list to populate. It will do so, it is just slow.
-Scroll down to development.
-Click okay
-Find your shortcut on your homescreen.

It is not everything, but it certainly has some of the things people have been missing.

Thanks again.

~Leko

P.S. I have never had an issue with live wallpapers, but I always install the marine aquarium where you can feed the fish.

harryzee

Apr 17, 2011
GMP,

Thanks for your great efforts!

I have my original NC doing an O/C MN 1.3 and all is well.

Have been following this info with great interest and now see that "reading in store" appears to work which is my "bottom line" necessity.

I have already d/l 1.41 and 5-12-19.

What specific steps do I need to take to switch my unit over to MN 1.41.

I understand that currently this is without an O/C kernal option.

I have backed up everything using Rom Manager, Titanium Backup, and CMW.

Thanks in advance.

jelive

Nov 7, 2008
San Antonio, Tx.
Google Pixel 6
Ok, I'm obviously doing something wrong. Everything seems ok when I first boot up NC but once I go to home with N key all I have is the standard Nook home screen...no more Zeam Launcher and I can't get back to it confused :confused: I selected Zeam as default the first time. Using MN 5-12-18 with NC 4.1

Edit: Got it fixed by rebooting to get back to Zeam home, then in NColor App clearing defaults and rebooting. Now have lost again!! How do I get it to stick?

Last edited:

Bobioden

Mar 20, 2011
I just installed MN 5.12.19, everything seems to be working except Amazon Appstore. I went into Root Explorer and tried to install the apk. I get the error, Install Blocked - For Security Reasons only apps purchased through the NOOK Shop can be installed. This is when I try to install using Package Installer.

If I try using App Installer I get the error, Unable to Install. This application was not able to install onto your device. "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again. Not sure how to do this.

Any suggestion on how I can get Amazon Appstore to work?

bluepen61

Apr 26, 2011
Geneseo
I took my NC back to 1.0.1 then updated to 1.4.1 and voila, no live wallpaper tab. So I am delayed in upgrading to 1.4.1 and applying MN 5.12.19. Curious to see of calendar works. I'll report back as soon as I get a viable 1.4.1 NC.

I finally have a clean 1.4.1, then I applied MN 5.12.19. After getting it set similar to 4.6.16, I confirmed that calendar worked, nice. :)

But Shop does not load and neither do B&N books or apps download. I get "Unable To Download" Internal error: Exception executing the command message. Though early it did work fine. I should have been more methodical and checked its function from time to time. Live wallpapers (B&N apps) work fine. I do not have non B&N live wallpapers. Gmail and the regular e-mail apps work fine. Reading the few books and magazines are fine too.

Here is what I did after applying MN:
  1. Logged into Market and updated Adobe Air, Adobe Flash Player 11, ROM Manager, Superuser, SoftKeys, YouTube.
  2. Installed through Market: Titanium Backup & Pro Key, Opera Mobile, PocketCloud Pro, Touch Calendar, SQLite, Trillian, XDA Prem, Plume Prem
  3. Installed Amazon Appstore for Android
  4. Installed through Appstore: SBM Mobile, Documents to Go Full Version
I am going to download NoteEverything and Shopper(?) apps, and restore their data using Titanium Backup. Also I need to use the Market apps. Interestingly, a couple of apps were missing in my Amazon Appstore list.

More work lies ahead for me tonight it seems.

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
I just installed MN 5.12.19, everything seems to be working except Amazon Appstore. I went into Root Explorer and tried to install the apk. I get the error, Install Blocked - For Security Reasons only apps purchased through the NOOK Shop can be installed. This is when I try to install using Package Installer.

If I try using App Installer I get the error, Unable to Install. This application was not able to install onto your device. "Archive" and then "Unarchive" the application to try again. Not sure how to do this.

Any suggestion on how I can get Amazon Appstore to work?

You need to go into “Nookcolor Tools” and uncheck the top box, and then recheck the box to allow non market app install.

All past links have been updated to Manualnooter-5.12.20. This update has a new uramdisk file that was created from the 1.4.1 release, and everything that was not needed in the last uramdisk has been removed. Script that was not needed in the database file has also been removed. This should be the final update before it gets a more public release. There should not any problems flashing this over

LINK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR 1.2 & 1.3 (Please Check Below for Instructions) - Please don't quote the first post.
    • Read this before you post:
    • What it does:
      • Permanently Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs Busybox
      • Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
      • Installs zeam Launcher
      • Installs B&N HomeLauncher
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
      • App Auto Install (Open up update.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • uRamdisk - Enables permanent ADB Access
      • /system/build.prop - Fingerprint change
      • packages.xml - Attempt to fix signature issue (unnecessary?)
      • downloads.db - Fixes Market "Download Unsuccessful" issues

• Changes:
      • September 3, 2011 - 1.3 Instructions Added

• June 16, 2011 - 4.6.16
        • Fixed: Restored missing permission files that were in 4.5.18 but not 4.5.25
      • May 25, 2011 - 4.5.25 - Thanks to GMPOWER for this update.
        • Fixed: Calendar Sync
        • Fixed: New Market FCs
        • Fixed: Unknown Reason -18 - This will replace your current Kernel!
      • May 18, 2011 - 4.5.18
        • Fixed: Touchscreen issues with Kids Books
        • Added: B&N HomeLauncher
      • May 6, 2011 - 4.5.6 - Special Thanks: lewellyn for all the work he put into this version.
        • Fixed: /cache/downloadnull issue.
        • Fixed: "Download Unsuccessful"
        • Fixed: Market Force Closed (No guarantee it'll hold if Market is updated)
        • Added: adbWireless

• Before you begin:
      • To update to 1.2 you must do a complete wipe.
      • You must update to 1.2 to use ManualNooter Instructions Here.
      1. You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
      2. You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. CWM Bootable from SD Card: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=987735 - You should always use the Latest CWM Version
        • OR emmc CWM Recovery Installed
      4. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.
    • 1.3 Must do these instructions first with 4.5.18 then with 4.6.16.
    • Let's get started:
      • If you're running a previous MN you do not need to do a complete wipe.
      1. Download ManualNooter from here:
        ManualNooter-4-5-18.zip - 1.3 Only
        ManualNooter-4-6-16.zip
      2. Copy onto your flashable CWM SD card using Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.
        • See step 3 above for how to make a flashable CWM card.
        • DO NOT extract the zip file. It MUST be left as-is.
        • DO NOT copy the zip file into a folder. Leave it at the top directory of your card
      3. Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
      4. Turn off your NookColor (If turned on.)
      5. Insert Flashable CWM SDcard with ManulNooter into your NOOKcolor.
      6. Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
        • If using Flashable CWM SDCard this should boot you into recovery.
        • If using eMMC CWM Recovery instead of SD CWM Recovery, boot to recovery.
      7. When CWM boots select the update using your Volume Keys and n button:
        • - install zip from sdcard (Volume up 4 times, then n)
        • - choose zip from sdcard (Volume down 1 time, then n)
        • - manualnooter-4-x-x.zip (Hit volume up until you get to it, then n)
          • 1.3 needs to run 4.5.18 before 4.6.16
        • - Confirm that you really want to run the update.
          • Selecting this indicates that you take responsibility for your own actions.
      8. Wait patiently and follow onscreen directions.
        • If you get "Install Failed" after rebooting out of CWM this can be normal. Just reboot again.
      9. After reboot and unlocking your device select Zeam Launcher.
      10. Run Fix Permissions from Rom Manager - 1.3 Only after running 4.6.16
      11. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service/Sign In.
        • If you get a full application list, you're done!
        • You may not have to Accept Terms and Service or Sign In if you're updating from a previous MN version.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted.
      12. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
        • If you want to revert your card to a "usable" state.
      13. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format
      14. This will wipe your SDCard of all MN/CWM Flashable abilities. If you use this you will have to reflash the SDCard for future MN releases.

• Known Issues without solutions:
      • IMEI Force Close -
        • There is no randomly Generated IMEI in this version. - Apps that close due to lack of IMEI need to be fixed by Developers not users.
      • Network Location isn't enabled -
        • Signature Issue again - Work is being done to locate the fix.
    • Known Issues and Solutions:
      • "Download Unsuccessful" -

• Fixed Fixed as of 4.5.6
      • Market Force Close -

• Market tries to download to /cache/downloadnull instead of /cache/download -

• Installation Error - Unknown Reason -18

• Fixed Fixed as of 4.5.25
      • Calendar does not sync -
        • Fixed Fixed as of 4.5.25
      • Market has limited visibility - This is a known tablet issue, not just a NOOKcolor one.
        1. Start Nook Color Tools.
        2. Select the "All Settings" button.
        3. Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
        4. Choose "Manage Applications" from the list.
        5. Select the "All" tab.
        6. Scroll down to "Market" and select it.
        7. Tap "Force stop".
        8. Tap "Clear cache".
        9. Tap the Back button if you have SoftKeys running, else swipe right to left on the status bar at the bottom of the screen (from the clock to the book icon).
        10. Scroll up to "Google Services Framework" and select it.
        11. Tap "Clear data".
        12. Tap "OK".
        13. Tap "Force stop".
        14. Press the n button to return to your launcher.
        15. Start Market.
        16. At the "An error has occurred" message, tap "OK".
        17. Hold your power button to turn off your NOOK Color from the menu.
        18. Turn your NOOK Color back on and give it a moment to find your WiFi connection.
        19. Start Market again, and the problem is resolved.

• Complete Wipe:
      1. 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
      2. Factory Reset > Wipes /data
        • This will not work if you're using emmc Clockwork Mod Recovery
        • You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.
    • Thanks To:
      • Donate to these people! They did all the work I just put it into a single package!
      • bpk - Soft Keys
      • MrSiir - adbWireless
      • mastapsi - Coding help
      • gojimi - Tablet Calendar
      • Suteru - Boot Animation
      • Ben74 - NookColor Tools
      • thecubed - Edifying Nooter
      • HamNCheese - B&N HomeLauncher
      • nemith - CWM on NOOKcolor, ADB fixes for 1.2.
      • Pentagram - Figuring out how to get Market to list properly.
      • Michael Bentz - Zeam Minimalist Launcher which allows us to access apps.
      • hari - Discovering the Fix for "Download Unsuccessful" and /cache/downloadnull
      • lewellyn - Coding help, research, and helping make instructions clear for this post.
      • pokey9000 - Original Nooter that started the AutoNooter and ManualNooter Projects.
      • Freenode's #nookcolor chat - dealing with my crap, checking my code, keeping me motivated.
      • GMPOWER - Kernel to fix Unknown Reason -18 and GAPPs that fix Calendar Sync and gives us newer market.
      • Donators - Even though I don't think I deserve it a few of you have donated for my work piecing things like this together. It's appreciated.
        • Please Note: If I'm using your app within ManualNooter or AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.
    From now on if your having an issue here's the format that needs to be used:

• Rooted with: ManualNooter 4.x.x
    • Kernel:
    • Additional Mods (includes wifi adhoc, etc):

Then list the problem you're having. The faster we have information about your setup the faster someone can see about helping.

There's an entire two file change in 4.5.18 from 4.5.6 if your Wifi Adhoc w/e worked on 4.5.6 but doesn't on the update means something else is going wrong, perhaps some settings got changed around the same time you updated. Otherwise if you could use ADB or something to logcat when you try to connect perhaps someone can actually look into it.

Also all update fixes for market are in the last two versions of MN. IF you're not using at least 4.5.6 then don't ***** when you get "Download Unsuccessful" also don't ***** if you get "Unknown Reason -18" because you decided the OP was too long for your liking and you just couldn't stand to read through it all, there is a current work around for Unknown Reason -18 and I'm currently watching the Kernel that fixes this to make sure it's stable enough for MN release. This will address all market issues with the old market.

Until someone can find out why the signature checking for 1.2 and Gapps is apparently so strict and or a way to work around it there's NOTHING that can be done to get Newer Market working all nice and perfect (without FCs and such) along with Network Location or Calendar syncing, short of grabbing sets of apps and trying them and hoping like hell you find a set that works.

Kids Books issues are addressed with 4.5.18 so if you're not using at least 4.5.18 I don't want to hear *****ing from this post on about how they're broken. They were broken the entire time in MN and it was just brought up as soon as I got a replacement SD Card and reader I immediately released an update for MN that addressed this problem.
    For those with missing apps in market this did the trick for me:

STEPS:

1) Already have your Google Account entered into the table & synced.
    Settings=> Accounts & sync => Add your account/Sync your account
    2) Run Android Market first by using your desktop icon or the applet grid panel choosing the Market app. When run it should produce a Market with missing apps when you search as is usual.
    3) Leave the Android Market program running & tap the Home button to go to the desktop.
    Replaces 4-6 = Nook Color Tools => All Settings => Manage Applications
    4) Tap the Menu button, then select the Settings option in the bottom bar that pops up.
    5) Select the Applications option
    6) Select the Manage applications option
    7) Select the Running TAB to show all running applications.
    8) Scroll down the list until you see Market, then select it.
    9) Tap on the Clear cache option button
    10) Tap on the Force stop option button. DO NOT tap on the Clear data button here under Market, it will break the process I believe!
    11) Tap on the Back button to go back to the entire list of running apps.
    12) Scroll the app list up until you see the Google Services Framework app & select it.
    13) Tap on the Clear data button here first, then tap on the OK button to confirm the action.
    13) Tap on the Force close button now.
    14) Now tap on the Back button or use the Home button to go back to the main desktop screen.
    15) If you have the Market app on your desktop, then tap on it to run it, or open the dockbar applet panel & run Market from there again.
    16) You should get an error box that has "Attention", then states that "An error has occurred. Please try again later."
    This is good & what seems should happen if all is going well.
    17) Now just hold down the On\Off button & then use the shut down menus to shut down the device normally.
    18) Now just turn the device back On normally, let it boot to the desktop ... when you get a working Wifi connection, try Market again ... hopefully if all went as it did for me many times, Market should work fully now & show apps that used to be missing! :D

I found this solution on a forum called gadgetsandtablets
    Can some people give this updated version a try? Just install this after a fresh upgrade to 1.4.1, no need to install any prier version. I can’t possible test everything out, so I need people to report back with any problems that they run into.

* This does include the program HomeCatcher.
    * It includes my flashplayer fix, so you should not run into any problems updating adobe flash or air.
    * This will install android market v. 2.12, but will then upgrade to the current one.
    * On first boot, make sure you select the zeam launcher as default.
    * This does NOT have the added kernel file.
    * Don’t consider this a released version.

LINK

LINK