[SOLVED] Why is my custom boot animation not working?

Search This thread
I spend a whole lazy sunday designing a custom boot animation.
It's supposed to look like that (two parts):

fairAnimated-work-320x480-0.gif
fairAnimated-work-320x480-1.gif

[Left: part0 - play once] [Right: part1 - loop]

Device: HTC Legend with CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Android 2.2.1 Froyo).
I created a file bootanimation.zip (not compressed), following this howto I found on addictivetips.com
  • My Legend is rooted
  • I use ROM Manager to reboot into Recovery
  • I move the files to their destion directories with adb commands.
But when I store it in /data/local or in system/media and reboot my phone, only the first part (part0) is played. Then the animation stops, a black screen is displayed for about ten seconds, then the Enter PIN screen appears. I tried almost everything to make part1 visible:
  • Deleting and re-installing the animation with different parameters
  • Changing values in desc.txt (below)
  • Re-processing the .png files (8bit, 24bit, resizing etc.)
  • Changing the .png file names

My desc.txt:
320 480 24
p 1 10 part0
p 0 0 part1

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the attached bootanimation_NOTWORKING.zip file?

Attachments

• bootanimation_NOTWORKING.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
Tanks matn013, but that's not it. Even if put all frames to one folder, the animation stops playing after frame 12 or 13...
I suppose the issue here might be one of the ff:
  • Booting time too short (device is fully booted before all frames have played)
  • Defected .png (animation seems to stop at the same frame)
  • Memory issues (rendering of animation needs too much memory)

...is there a system log that I can check after the booting process?

EDIT: I found a solution to spot errors and save time when testing. You can use this adb command whilst phone is connected:
adb shell bootanimation
The bootanimation will run, and in your terminal you can see some error code. Thanks seb93

Last edited:
Solved!

After comparing mine to the original Cyanogenmod bootanimation, I did some more modifications to the animation:
  • reduced image sizes to 256x384
  • named files in consecutive order (even across folders) from fair_00000.png to fair_00026.png without leaving out a single number
  • named the folders android + part1
Which one did the trick? I don't know, but the attached file actually works.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 2,445

Striker65

Aug 28, 2013
Have had this problem once too with a bootanimation.
Try renaming the map part0 to android and put everything in one line
For you it should be like this:

I don't intend to bring a thread back from the dead, though I know that's exactly what I'm doing, but I have a purpose. Presenting a "known" solution.

I did a Google search 'cause I was having this same problem, and this thread got me on track. The portion of this thread got me thinking in the right direction to resolve this problem.

There needs to be a return line following the sequence presented in the quoted text. It is what I believe solved this issue.

Reactions: deady1009
Jun 28, 2013
I don't intend to bring a thread back from the dead, though I know that's exactly what I'm doing, but I have a purpose. Presenting a "known" solution.

I did a Google search 'cause I was having this same problem, and this thread got me on track. The portion of this thread got me thinking in the right direction to resolve this problem.

There needs to be a return line following the sequence presented in the quoted text. It is what I believe solved this issue.

I have the same problem as author of this tread. What return line do you mean and in which quoted text? Plz answer. I really want to make my own bootanimation.

Striker65

Aug 28, 2013
I have the same problem as author of this tread. What return line do you mean and in which quoted text? Plz answer. I really want to make my own bootanimation.

In the "desc.txt" place all the info in it that's required. In my case it was all one line. If you have multiple lines go to the end of the last line and press "enter".
That's what solved my problem.

If that doesn't happen, it won't boot.

r3dlink13

Aug 17, 2012
Striker nailed it! Thanks!
I'd been fighting it for at least a half hour, yet the fix was so simple!

Snypercell

Feb 14, 2013
I don't even know how I came across this thread, but if I hadn't, I might have gone insane. I can't believe it was something so stupendously simple.... You are a f***ing lifesaver, broseph.

stephtheduke

Nov 5, 2012
Desperatly needed help ... now solved

Hi everyone,
You guys are likly to be my last resort !

I succesfully managed to push my downanimation which works as expected ..

But the bootanimation doesn't
I've tried adding the last line, encoding to ANSI or UTF-8 without BOM (and trying crazy things) but all this was vain

I spent so much time on it, it just drove me crazy and I have now absolutly no idea of what wrong with this :eek:
I hope you guys will be able to help :crying:

===

The day after ...
I figured out that when you add or replace files into the archive through windows explorer or 7-zip, the archive do not still uncompressed wich leads android to not be able to open the bootanimation zip file.
To sum this up, make sure you create bootanimation.zip from scratch with no compression and once created do not add or replace files directly inside it.

PS: Thank you for pointing out "adb shell bootanimation" command which saved my time a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: CVAngelo

pankajpatil1406

Feb 21, 2013
plz help me guys

i have copied the bootanimation.zip to the system/media then also its not showing the animation. i have set the resolutions also. i have an tab 2 p3100

DevMyAndroid

Jul 11, 2014
Salt Lake City
After comparing mine to the original Cyanogenmod bootanimation, I did some more modifications to the animation:
  • named files in consecutive order (even across folders) from fair_00000.png to fair_00026.png without leaving out a single number
Thanks for your help.

Hey, wow this thread is old. Could you fix my bootanimation.zip? It plays just fine but when i put it in /system/media it wont play. I can email you the part0, part1, desc.txt in a non working bootanimation.zip :) email me if you can help. frankie.mann7@gmail.com

Basher51

Mar 14, 2014
Bootanimation not displaying

Facing same prob.Put bootanimation.zip in /system/media/ . However the animation doesnt come.Did you find your solution?

Hey, wow this thread is old. Could you fix my bootanimation.zip? It plays just fine but when i put it in /system/media it wont play. I can email you the part0, part1, desc.txt in a non working bootanimation.zip :) email me if you can help. frankie.mann7@gmail.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

In the "desc.txt" place all the info in it that's required. In my case it was all one line. If you have multiple lines go to the end of the last line and press "enter".

Solved!

Thanks for your help.
    I spend a whole lazy sunday designing a custom boot animation.
    It's supposed to look like that (two parts):

fairAnimated-work-320x480-0.gif
    fairAnimated-work-320x480-1.gif

[Left: part0 - play once] [Right: part1 - loop]

Device: HTC Legend with CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Android 2.2.1 Froyo).
    I created a file bootanimation.zip (not compressed), following this howto I found on addictivetips.com
    • My Legend is rooted
    • I use ROM Manager to reboot into Recovery
    • I move the files to their destion directories with adb commands.
    But when I store it in /data/local or in system/media and reboot my phone, only the first part (part0) is played. Then the animation stops, a black screen is displayed for about ten seconds, then the Enter PIN screen appears. I tried almost everything to make part1 visible:
    • Deleting and re-installing the animation with different parameters
    • Changing values in desc.txt (below)
    • Re-processing the .png files (8bit, 24bit, resizing etc.)
    • Changing the .png file names

My desc.txt:
    320 480 24
    p 1 10 part0
    p 0 0 part1

Can someone tell me what is wrong with the attached bootanimation_NOTWORKING.zip file?
    Have had this problem once too with a bootanimation.
    Try renaming the map part0 to android and put everything in one line
    For you it should be like this:

Wow. Magic. One more line and whole bootanimation is working. Thanks.