Randomly Turns off multiple times a day???

Search This thread

jnovello

Aug 3, 2010
Las Vegas
I have had my white Skyrocket just a day short of 1 week. Today is the first day it has just randomly shut off and three times so far. Has anyone else experienced this? I was talking on it for about an hour with 90% charge, ended the call, set it down, and picked it up 30 mins. later and it was off. When I woke up this morning I watched some Youtube, checked some emails, and 10 mins. later off again. I had to take out the battery and turn it on. I'm rooted with the ICS rom.

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011
Try flashing the stock kernel and see if it persists.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

specter07

Nov 30, 2011
San Diego
Did it work?

I also have the same issue. Rooted with Sky ICS 2.3.6 and my phone just randomly turns off from time to time. I'll be use it and then it turns off and the power button doesn't work. Have to take it out of my Otter Box Defender case, take the battery cover off and pull the battery and put everything back together.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Sky ICS 2.3.6 ROM
CPU OC Kernel

j8k213

Oct 2, 2009
San Francisco
YES! I'm on my 2nd SR, since release for same reason.

My first Skyrocket began repeatedly restarting, a few days after purchase. I thought I had the problem solved, after attributing the issue to an extra 16gb micro sd card, I took from my t-mobile Galaxy S 4G. But now my new Skyrocket, less than a week old, began the same **** 2 days ago - ALSO, after installing an extra 4gb card i had. WTF? The screen suddenly flashes white and the phone starts a continual process of restarting, until I'm able to get it to factory reset.

jnovello

Aug 3, 2010
Las Vegas
Well I flashed back to the "stockish" Kernal and i have not had a single random power off in over a week. Thanks.

arberthebarber

Apr 19, 2010
I recommend using the CM7 + KA_G CM7 kernel. Its awesome. Way better then stock + I don't experience random sleep of death like I do with regular rom + DA_G overclock kernel.

j8k213

Oct 2, 2009
San Francisco
Thanks for reply. It's been fine since my previous post, before which, it took 4 to 5 hours for me to get it to remain on, long enough to complete a factory reset.

Additionally, I'm wondering if downloading/installing "warez" for extended periods, most of which I'll just uninstal (tech addiction), could be reason for the shut downs??

CZ Eddie

Sep 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I never had this problem with my first phone.
But my replacement phone has powered off a few times. It does have an SD card installed.
A couple times while unplugging/removing it from my car dock (3rd party charger). It just powers off. And I have to manually power it back on again.

And several times while plopping it lightly down on the table or pressing/holding the phone in a weird way.
Also once or twice while ending a phone call.

I'll prolly take it back soon. I'm outside of 30 days though, so I'm in no rush as I'll just get a refurbed phone I'm sure, and have to take my chances on getting one with a crap screen. While my current phone has a perfect screen (no vertical lines or blobs).

I've had the problem with custom ROM's, kernels and also on more than one reflash of stock ROM/Kernel.

Last edited:

Longcat14

Feb 13, 2011
Dallas
I never had this problem with my first phone.
But my replacement phone has powered off a few times. It does have an SD card installed.
A couple times while unplugging/removing it from my car dock (3rd party charger). It just powers off. And I have to manually power it back on again.

And several times while plopping it lightly down on the table or pressing/holding the phone in a weird way.
Also once or twice while ending a phone call.

I'll prolly take it back soon. I'm outside of 30 days though, so I'm in no rush as I'll just get a refurbed phone I'm sure, and have to take my chances on getting one with a crap screen. While my current phone has a perfect screen (no vertical lines or blobs).

I've had the problem with custom ROM's, kernels and also on more than one reflash of stock ROM/Kernel.

Trade phones? Mine has lines, but it probably has the best hardware out of all skyrockets.

1.89GHz stable, no problems with any ROM's, no SoD problems, nothing.

:D?

JK lol, I love my phone. <3