How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 99

By Slowie911, Junior Member on 29th April 2011, 12:28 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th November 2011, 05:11 PM |#491  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Im not defending the Floater , at the same time , alot of people come in here expecting the answers theyve been looking for (for about 10 minutes) and read 3 posts , follow those three post and brick there device , then they either bad mouth xda or talk **** forever about how bad the device is and nobody knows **** about anything , they have this attitude that "I want it now, mommy ,I want it now" , well you cant have it now junior , read the whole goddamn article first , then if you have a question ask it, pm the the guys in the know , but quit looking at one post and trying it out ,bricking your device and then cry because nobody will help you , read , theres tons of info here !!

I was accused like this guy one on the Windows Phone forum as being a newb (on an android question) even though I had been using Linux when it was really called unix, they immediatley tried to correct me , obviously they had never used Unix before!

18th November 2011, 04:41 AM |#492  
Thanks Meter: 1,353

More
Lol!

Sent from my A500 using xda premium
20th November 2011, 06:19 PM |#493  
Account Currently Disabled
Thanks Meter: 182

More
Cool, can't wait, waiting for this device, hopefully this week
8th December 2011, 03:01 PM |#494  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowie911

Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1046277

Hi i have an A500 with android 3.2 i'm trying to root it ,i followed you're steps but the gingerbreak running for at last 30 min didn't give me an error or something .
Can you help ?
8th December 2011, 03:04 PM |#495  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
go to the "revert" thread , follow the directions , then find a rom you want . its fairly easy but you will have to do alot of reading, READ!!!
10th December 2011, 01:52 PM |#496  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage144

go to the "revert" thread , follow the directions , then find a rom you want . its fairly easy but you will have to do alot of reading, READ!!!

I'm in the same shoes with johny9999, I have a newer stock 3.2 iconia, exact rom is acer_a500_7.006.01_com_gen2. Ive been searching and reading lots of threads here on xda for the past 3 hrs, flipping back and forth to try to understand all these things --i'm a newbie.

from what I understand, is that the best way to back up my original stock rom is to use "ACER RECOVERY INSTALLER" app, which is already installed on my iconia. But the app requires root in order for me to back up my stock rom.

then that leads me to this thread, but from what I read....to root 3.2 roms i have to revert back to the older 3.1 roms....but by doing so, how am I going to back up my original stock 3.2 rom? someone please point me to the right direction, all helps are much appreciated!
10th December 2011, 07:45 PM |#497  
Flag L.A.
Thanks Meter: 275

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythek88

I'm in the same shoes with johny9999, I have a newer stock 3.2 iconia, exact rom is acer_a500_7.006.01_com_gen2. Ive been searching and reading lots of threads here on xda for the past 3 hrs, flipping back and forth to try to understand all these things --i'm a newbie.

from what I understand, is that the best way to back up my original stock rom is to use "ACER RECOVERY INSTALLER" app, which is already installed on my iconia. But the app requires root in order for me to back up my stock rom.

then that leads me to this thread, but from what I read....to root 3.2 roms i have to revert back to the older 3.1 roms....but by doing so, how am I going to back up my original stock 3.2 rom? someone please point me to the right direction, all helps are much appreciated!

to be honest I don't think you can backup a stock 3.2 system as it requires root which afaik you can only achieve through reverting and rooting first then flashing a new upgraded rom... all I did to do this was download the unstable 3.0.1 rom .zip from the revert thread, extract the update.zip from it and place it on the SD card as well as the Iconiaroot apk, then after downloading the Acer recovery installer from the market (as you might not be able to get to it after the revert so its best to have it already, also your apps will remain until you wipe to flash a new rom) power off the tablet and boot up like you were going into CWM (power + volume down) then it will revert itself... after that run the root apk and use the recovery installer to get CWM, boot into it, wipe, flash the rom of your choice (kernel later too if you want) and you're all done

sorry for long explanation, I know it looks complicated but it takes maybe 15 minutes from stock 3.2 to rooted 3.2

sent from my Acer Iconia A500 beast of a tablet via XDA app
11th December 2011, 09:32 AM |#498  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
thank you very much for your response, definitely cleared out many confusions for me. After reading more threads, I do realized that at the moment there's no app that can root 3.2 directly. I was able to download some stock 3.2 roms, one rooted and one nonrooted. This is so confusing but at the same time so fun
24th December 2011, 08:49 PM |#499  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpinsl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jpinsl Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 06:45 PM |#500  
Flag Ottawa
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Does EUU overwite Device ID
Gang,

I tried searching around the forums, but couldn't really get an answer.

Using EUU is obviously a lower level flash that also updates things like bootloaders as well. My question is will device specific attributes like "DeviceID" change when flashing through EUU? I have been able to successfully flash with EUU without issues, but I notice during the startup that my device ID changed. Specifically, when the tab asks me to register with Acer, it reports a different device ID.

This might be something specific to the ROM I am using, but wondering if I just messed up some device specific identifiers. I didn't think this would happen based on articles and instructions I read on EUU, but I am no expert.

If I go back to my stock ROM through the udpate packages, then would I have a stock restored device?

Again sorry if this question has been asked. I am a little paranoid coming from the Galaxy S "efs" world where IMEI is stored in both software and hardware.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
5th January 2012, 04:17 PM |#501  
Flag Staten Island, NY
Thanks Meter: 96

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsl

To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.

I used timmys, method and it worked great. I had all the latest updates on my tab and was losing hope anyone would find root so I even downloaded the newest maintenance fixes thinking I would be stuck at stock.

When i did timmys method it seemed to me that at worst I would be downgraded to 3.1 then I would have to flash the latest 3.2 rom but to my great surprise, when all was said and done, my tab was fully up to date running on the latest gen 2 and honeycomb software that I had installed & have full root.

Awesome & thank you for posting the link to timmys work...
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrocker23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jrocker23 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
acer a500 root file, acer iconia a500 root

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)