I was accused like this guy one on the Windows Phone forum as being a newb (on an android question) even though I had been using Linux when it was really called unix, they immediatley tried to correct me , obviously they had never used Unix before!
Good Evening from the uk
earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak
below is the walkthrough of how to root this device
1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
5. wait and you will receive full root access
Edit to add original dev and thread
A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is
I'm in the same shoes with johny9999, I have a newer stock 3.2 iconia, exact rom is acer_a500_7.006.01_com_gen2. Ive been searching and reading lots of threads here on xda for the past 3 hrs, flipping back and forth to try to understand all these things --i'm a newbie.
from what I understand, is that the best way to back up my original stock rom is to use "ACER RECOVERY INSTALLER" app, which is already installed on my iconia. But the app requires root in order for me to back up my stock rom.
then that leads me to this thread, but from what I read....to root 3.2 roms i have to revert back to the older 3.1 roms....but by doing so, how am I going to back up my original stock 3.2 rom? someone please point me to the right direction, all helps are much appreciated!
To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
|acer a500 root file, acer iconia a500 root|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|