How to root stock 3.2

Search This thread

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta

Hi!

Thanks for continuing to support your fellow A500 users :)!

I downloaded and followed Christos Hohlidakis detailed instructions (http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...-en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/99-art-kb000005-en) to install and do my setup. One odd thing... I checked for system updates after the install and my Acer wanted to download 7.014.02.

Then, checking the build number after installing your build: Acer_A500_7.014.01_COM_GEN2

I thought you'd installed both updates. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Well... this gave me a good chance to try out the second part of your instructions - setting up the adb shell back door to enable su. I used it, successfully did the additional 3.2.1 update (7.014.02) and then re-established root. Very, very cool :)!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Hi!

Thanks for continuing to support your fellow A500 users :)!

I downloaded and followed Christos Hohlidakis detailed instructions to install and do my setup. One odd thing... I checked for system updates after the install and my Acer wanted to download 7.014.02.

Then, checking the build number after the install: Acer_A500_7.014.01_COM_GEN2

I thought you'd installed both updates. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Well... this gave me a good chance to try out the second part of your instructions - setting up the adb shell back door to enable su. I used it, successfully did the additional 3.2.1 update and then re-established root. Very, very cool :)!

Thanks!!

**** UPDATE *****
For some reason the 7.014.02 still wants to download after you flash it. And it will break root.

I will look at why the update still loads. They most likely are checking a version number that's not being set when you flash.

I have a fix for this and will post it once I'm done testing.
Meanwhile, use the backdoor trick to keep rooted and then install the OTA. The backdoor should keep you rooted through the OTA. I will post a fix tomorrow, until then, just use the backdoor trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: saeba

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
**** UPDATE *****
For some reason the 7.014.02 still wants to download after you flash it. And it will break root.

I will look at why the update still loads. They most likely are checking a version number that's not being set when you flash.

System seems to be working even with the second load of 7.014.02 with one weird exception... if I leave the /data/local.prop on the Acer, I get no sound. I delete it and then reboot - sound. Is that a known issue or is this because of my loading the 7.014.02 on top of your build?

Last edited:
Reactions: timmyDean

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
3.2.1 upgrade does not install per instructions.

============ What to do if you have root and don't want to wipe your tablet clean flashing this image and you want to apply OTA's ================
So, you have a bunch of stuff loaded and you have root. You'd like to install the OTA's but it will break root. You also don't want to flash your tablet because you have it all set up and customized to your liking. If this is the case, then set ro.kernel.qemu=1 flag in the file called /data/local.prop and then run your OTA's. You will loose the GUI su, busybox, and su; but all you need to do is reconnect to the tablet using 'adb shell' and you should get # (root). Then just fix the 'sticky bit' or reinstall your favorite su tools. This will allow you to keep all your applications and customizations and you shouldn't loose any of your applications and data. Well, other than those that you have loaded in the system area --those might be replaced/deleted as it is most likely they will be affected.

This is the part that is not working for me. After the download, I select Install, and the A500 reboots to stock recovery. It does the first 30% of the yellow bar in about 5 seconds, and then starts to move slower. After another 10% and 10 seconds, it stops with the exclamation point in a triangle. After rebooting, nothing has changed, and I still have root. So I'm OK; I just can't progress to 3.2.1. I would like to not have to do TimmyDean's full install/wipe, although I do have a Titanium Backup of all my apps.

Background:
  • The A500 came with 3.2 installed. I downgraded to 3.0.1, rooted w/ IconiaRoot, and installed Acer Recovery Installer 2.53 from the Market.
  • I then applied "Rooted Stock HC 3.2 US Rom for CWM only - based on Acer_A500_7.006.01.", which should only have su & SuperUser installed.
  • I manually installed busybox (& related soft links in /system/xbin) and regular (Market) apps.

Of course in order to upgrade back to 3.2, I installed CWM Recovery v1.3.4 by Thor. However, when attempting the 3.2.1 upgrade, I reverted to "stock" recovery USA 1.141.07_COM_GEN1 (that being the only choice the Acer Recovery Installer offered). I'm wondering if that's my problem, as I'm running Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2. (ie, COM1 recovery w/ COM2 OS ???).

However, I can't find a 1.141.07_COM_GEN2 on the Internet, so the above is idle guesswork.

Ideas welcome ...

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
This is the part that is not working for me. After the download, I select Install, and the A500 reboots to stock recovery. It does the first 30% of the yellow bar in about 5 seconds, and then starts to move slower. After another 10% and 10 seconds, it stops with the exclamation point in a triangle. After rebooting, nothing has changed, and I still have root. So I'm OK; I just can't progress to 3.2.1. I would like to not have to do TimmyDean's full install/wipe, although I do have a Titanium Backup of all my apps.

Background:
  • The A500 came with 3.2 installed. I downgraded to 3.0.1, rooted w/ IconiaRoot, and installed Acer Recovery Installer 2.53 from the Market.
  • I then applied "Rooted Stock HC 3.2 US Rom for CWM only - based on Acer_A500_7.006.01.", which should only have su & SuperUser installed.
  • I manually installed busybox (& related soft links in /system/xbin) and regular (Market) apps.

Of course in order to upgrade back to 3.2, I installed CWM Recovery v1.3.4 by Thor. However, when attempting the 3.2.1 upgrade, I reverted to "stock" recovery USA 1.141.07_COM_GEN1 (that being the only choice the Acer Recovery Installer offered. I'm wondering if that's my problem, as I'm running Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2. (ie, COM1 recovery w/ COM2 OS ???).

However, I can't find a 1.141.07_COM_GEN2 on the Internet, so the above is idle guesswork.

Ideas welcome ...
The problem is you have changed the stock recovery. OTA's are encrypted zip files that get downloaded and then you reboot to recovery and the recovery installs it. If you have changed the recovery to CWM then CWM does NOT know how to install the OTA. Or, what it sounds like in your case, is you don't have the correct recovery loaded any more.

You should use just flash it clean using this tool, it will get you back to factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanGibson

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
System seems to be working even with the second load of 7.014.02 with one weird exception... if I leave the /data/local.prop on the Acer, I get no sound. I delete it and then reboot - sound. Is that a known issue or is this because of my loading the 7.014.02 on top of your build?
I never noticed missing sound with the backdoor set on. But you are correct, if you set the backdoor on, you'll get no sound. So, I would suggest only using the backdoor when you want to download a OTA. That's what I do to keep rooted.

Reactions: saeba

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
I never noticed missing sound with the backdoor set on. But you are correct, if you set the backdoor on, you'll get no sound. So, I would suggest only using the backdoor when you want to download a OTA. That's what I do to keep rooted.

OK, thanks for confirming this "feature" ;-)! I'll do as you suggest.

Truly brilliant though - a way to retain root across OTA updates (which I confirmed by applying the 7.014.02 update). And I'm very happy to be up on the latest release (3.2.1).

All in all, a very nice Christmas present!

Thanks!!

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Rooted 3.2.1 V2 -- Fixed versions added tools

Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2 ROOTED
Here’s the link http://www.multiupload.com/VD0L5WLQKK
Version v2
There is a V3 release http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20680452&postcount=137
V3 installs all the tools for you

************** CHANGES ************************************
Instructions are in the readme.pdf inside the zip

I fixed the version numbers. When it flashed, it wasn’t setting the number correctly therefore it would redo the last update over again even though it was already on the tablet.

Added a busyBox tool in the folder called busyBox where you will find installTools.cmd. This command script will install the superuser.apx, busybox, and su tool. This is what most of you would want instead of just the command line #(root). This does what chrishohl :) recommends (http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/254-art-kb000005-en) to finish out your Acer rooting.

==================================================
******************** BACKDOOR UPDATE *********************

I added a little script that will build the backdoor for you. It is in the backdoor folder called backdoor.cmd. Just run this and it will set your adb shell to run as # (root).

Also NOTE, if you reset your tablet (factory restore) you will loose your backdoor. You just run the backdoor.cmd and it will reset the backdoor.

NO SOUND, when you have the backdoor enabled there appears to be no sound. So, you only want to use this before allowing a OTA to install.

==============================================
==Backdoor tool version 1.1 release notes===

Inside the backdoor folder is command script called backdoor.cmd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please select a option.
Note: It is assumed you have su installed.
1. Turn ON backdoor (sound will be off).
2. Turn OFF backdoor.
3. Reset missing sticky bit on /system/xbin/su
(must have backdoor on and rebooted)

4. Quit (and reboot).
5. Exit (no reboot).

This tool can be used to toggle On/Off the backdoor. When you install OTA updates these OTA’s run scripts that reset all the security permissions thereby removing the ‘sticky bit’ on your installed SU and hence removing root. The idea behind the backdoor is to install an alternate # (root) that the scripts won’t know about. To do this, we set the ro.kernel.qemu=1 flag inside the data/local.prop file therefore when you enter the ‘adb shell’ you immediately have # (root).

This alternate # (root), I call a backdoor. Named such after the movie Wargames where the ‘geeks’ told Lightman that they install a backdoor into systems incase they ever want to get back into a system after someone changes security. And sense Lightman was trying to hack the WOPR (pronounced whopper) and staying one step ahead of Acer is a whopper of a challenge, it seemed appropriate.

The downside is that if you have the backdoor on, it seems to turn off sound on the Acer. Therefore, I turn it on only before I run an OTA and then turn it back off after the OTA.

So far, the backdoor has allowed me to get back in as root if the OTA changes security. However, it might too be plugged by the evil Acer empire. But for now it seems to work. If anyone has any other backdoor approaches then please share them (I have a couple more if Acer plugs this one), but making and using a backdoor has been my frontline defense.

************** Toggle On/Off OTA version 1.1 *******************

Inside the OTA-Toggle folder is a command program called toggle.cmd
Please select a option.
Note: It is assumed you have su installed or the backdoor.
1. Turn Off OTA.
2. Turn On OTA.

3. Quit.

So, if you’re like me and you do not like Acer hacking into your privately owned tablet and destroying data, you just might want to lock them out. This tool (assuming you have root or the backdoor installed), will allow you to turn off OTA’s.

Once turned off, you will not be nagged or bothered with OTA’s ever again until you turn them back on.

Last edited:

DeanGibson

Apr 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
How to get recovery back???

The problem is you have changed the stock recovery. OTA's are encrypted zip files that get downloaded and then you reboot to recovery and the recovery installs it. If you have changed the recovery to CWM then CWM does NOT know how to install the OTA. Or, what it sounds like in your case, is you don't have the correct recovery loaded any more.

You should use just flash it clean using this tool, it will get you back to factory.
Yes, I know that CWM Recovery can't install the OTA update; I agree that I need to get back to the correct recovery. Shouldn't that be my first priority??

So, will your package (above) restore the correct recovery, or do I need to get it back via some other means??

In a file I found: Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2.zip (complete, not the update-to package of the same size), there is "update.zip". In update.zip, there are two files:

458 02-09-11 18:18 recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh
337898 02-09-11 18:18 recovery/recovery-from-boot.p

My guess is that I need both of these (the first will install the latter). I suspect (but do not know) that these files should be placed in /system/etc and /system (without the "recovery/..." paths), and my system rebooted to reinstall the proper recovery, but I do not know this for sure.

Can you (or someone else confirm) this?

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Yes, I know that CWM Recovery can't install the OTA update; I agree that I need to get back to the correct recovery. Shouldn't that be my first priority??

So, will your package (above) restore the correct recovery, or do I need to get it back via some other means??

In a file I found: Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2.zip (complete, not the update-to package of the same size), there is "update.zip". In update.zip, there are two files:

458 02-09-11 18:18 recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh
337898 02-09-11 18:18 recovery/recovery-from-boot.p

My guess is that I need both of these (the first will install the latter). I suspect (but do not know) that these files should be placed in /system/etc and /system (without the "recovery/..." paths), and my system rebooted to reinstall the proper recovery, but I do not know this for sure.

Can you (or someone else confirm) this?
This package will get you to where you need. It will flash you to 3.2.1 with a root su. Then there is a tool to load busybox and your GUI root tools as this is what most everyone wants.

Once you flash, with this tool, it will be just like brand new. You will be totally stock accept the su that I added. Now, remember when you flash your tablet, it loads CWM which is just only temp. You need to use it to fix the checksum of the images. Once you do that, and reboot CWM will be replaced with the stock recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanGibson

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Some people have asked about keeping CWM installed after the reboot. Certainly you can do that, you just need to dd the CWM recovery into the partition and replace the one that overwrites the recovery on boot each time.
-OR-
Since you have #(root) there's an application on the market place that will do it for you called 'ACER Recovery Installer'.

Steps:
1. Use the tool to flash your tablet
2. Hook back up the USB
3. Run the InstallTools.cmd to load all the SU tools
4. Login to your market account
5. Locate and install 'ACER Recovery Installer'
6. Now using the ACER Recovery App you can load and unload CWM

Also note, having CWM installed will prevent OTA's from installing but it will not stop them from nagging you to install them. So use the tool to turn off the nagging, that I provided.

Enjoy,
TD

Last edited:

engine95

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
Well... after reading the above 2 posts I was confused.
V1, I installed this morning and made 3 CWM backups and Restored once. And this was at different stages of getting SU installed. Everything was great.
Then I saw V2 and thought maybe it was a better way so I installed it late this afternoon. After reading your posts I just had to try and your right. I lost CWM.
So what changed between V1 and V2? Other than the scripts you wrote...they're identical.

edit: Running V1 again from CWM restore and it sticks. Not sure what I did but, it involved CWM "fix permissions" and a su_mod.zip from when SU went to v3.0

edit 2: Just compared V1 and V2 and noticed that flexrom and boot images changed. V2's are alot bigger.

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
V0 - Original that I posted load 3.2 and a su shell
V1 - Was suppose to load 3.2.1 and two additional updates from ACER, however since I did not update the flexrom.img it only saw 3.2.1 and 1 of the updates not both.
V2 - I replaced the flexrom.img and boot.img therefore all applied updates were seen. I also went through this thread and read what people were having issues with so I wrote some additional scripts and included them:
a. There's a tool to make a backdoor to help you keep root between OTA's
b. I wrote a script to turn On/Off OTA's
c. I wrote a script to install the Busybox and SU tools that most were installing anyway and included them in the zip
d. I documented how to put in CWM if that's what you'd like once you're all done.

Now, V0, V1, V2 were all designed to only use CWM once, which is the first boot so you can fix the checksums and then it should be replaced with the stock recovery. If you were able to keep CWM loaded then I'm not sure how you did it, but I would guess that it was a good thing for you.

V3 - This is the same as V2, but I went ahead and installed all the tools for you and fixed the checksums so you don't need to boot to CWM to fix them - This has basically a 'One click' or as close to a 'One click' solution as I can make. http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX

Enjoy and Merry Christmas,
TD

Last edited:
Reactions: rlt9999 and bidniss

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Rooted 3.2.1 V3 -- Released

Version V3 released
http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX
V3
-- In this version I simplified getting the Serial number of your tablet making it easier to flash. Please read the instructions in the readme.pdf. Many people were struggling trying to load ADB drivers and the ADB tools which the instructions said you needed to load first so you could get your serial number. The flashing tool actually loads the drivers and tools therefore, all you have to do is run the test.cmd after the drivers are loaded to get the serial number. This is now documented better, also you should not have to save the serial number in the CPUID.txt file, so I removed it.

-- I fixed the checksums during the flashing therefore you do not need to boot to recovery mode and fix them using CWM. Now your tablet will just reboot correctly after the flash.

-- I added into the flash, Busybox and SU tools for you. No need to add them later.

Bottom-line, if you installed V2 there is nothing new. V3 is just for those that struggled getting ADB working for their serial number and those that struggled installing the tools. Also, many people 'freaked' when their tablet didn't boot after the flash, because they did not read. Or they struggled with pushing the correct buttons to get into recovery mode to fix the checksums.

Enjoy,
TD

giffard.jb

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks A Lot Folks

it's work like charm.

just got a question, there is a cifs and tun modules for this kernel and if yes can any one tell me which one.

any christmas all.

cwillison94

May 7, 2011
Guelph
Worked Great

Its rooted, one problem there is NO CWM. Anyways to get it? I already installed ROM manager no iconia option. Suggestions? Thanks

***Got it, installed acer recovery app in market. SORRY!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, after messing around with 3.2 I decided to fix the rooting issues without downgrading. The problem with downgrading is it requires a SDCard and requires you to install a couple of programs and then to install an update.zip from the sdcard. I could not get half my ACER's to read and mount a sdcard, and some ACER's I have located in a remote office and trying to walk someone through the process was too painful. I tweaked the the downgrade tool's images to install 3.2 with root instead of downgrading it and jumping through hoops. All I did to the stock image is to copy the ash shell over to /system/xbin/su and set the sticky bit. Everything else is stock.

Update posted here, read thead http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20654298&postcount=129

New version V4

-- The instructions are in a PDF document inside the download --
    == Version V4 ==
    -- Added /system/subin/su which is a backup (backdoor) root in case an OTA deletes the /system/xbin/su
    -- Set permissons on the su root(#) tool so OTA's shouldn't be able to break it.
    -- Added drivers for XP

Summary:
    Version V4 is the same as V3 with the only difference being that there is a NEW backdoor script which has some additional features to protect root(#) from getting broken when you do an OTA. I also applied these to this flash image so you wouldn't have to add the additional protection yourself. V4 also has the drivers for XP included. However, when taking an OTA you should also install the backdoor for additional protection. However, you cannot leave the backdoor installed as it turns off sound. So having a little more protection just might save your root in case you take an OTA and forget to install the backdoor.

Download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/NS0X5TK4D1

Alternative download location:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/c6pr69ri6
    http://www.fileserve.com/file/s2wCQpN/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/jTA7AMN
    http://www.filejungle.com/f/vRnfK5/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    Rooted 3.2.1 V2 -- Fixed versions added tools

Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2 ROOTED
    Here’s the link http://www.multiupload.com/VD0L5WLQKK
    Version v2
    There is a V3 release http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20680452&postcount=137
    V3 installs all the tools for you

************** CHANGES ************************************
    Instructions are in the readme.pdf inside the zip

I fixed the version numbers. When it flashed, it wasn’t setting the number correctly therefore it would redo the last update over again even though it was already on the tablet.

Added a busyBox tool in the folder called busyBox where you will find installTools.cmd. This command script will install the superuser.apx, busybox, and su tool. This is what most of you would want instead of just the command line #(root). This does what chrishohl :) recommends (http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/254-art-kb000005-en) to finish out your Acer rooting.

******************** BACKDOOR UPDATE *********************

I added a little script that will build the backdoor for you. It is in the backdoor folder called backdoor.cmd. Just run this and it will set your adb shell to run as # (root).

Also NOTE, if you reset your tablet (factory restore) you will loose your backdoor. You just run the backdoor.cmd and it will reset the backdoor.

NO SOUND, when you have the backdoor enabled there appears to be no sound. So, you only want to use this before allowing a OTA to install.

==Backdoor tool version 1.1 release notes===

Inside the backdoor folder is command script called backdoor.cmd.
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed.
    1. Turn ON backdoor (sound will be off).
    2. Turn OFF backdoor.
    3. Reset missing sticky bit on /system/xbin/su
    (must have backdoor on and rebooted)

4. Quit (and reboot).
    5. Exit (no reboot).

This tool can be used to toggle On/Off the backdoor. When you install OTA updates these OTA’s run scripts that reset all the security permissions thereby removing the ‘sticky bit’ on your installed SU and hence removing root. The idea behind the backdoor is to install an alternate # (root) that the scripts won’t know about. To do this, we set the ro.kernel.qemu=1 flag inside the data/local.prop file therefore when you enter the ‘adb shell’ you immediately have # (root).

This alternate # (root), I call a backdoor. Named such after the movie Wargames where the ‘geeks’ told Lightman that they install a backdoor into systems incase they ever want to get back into a system after someone changes security. And sense Lightman was trying to hack the WOPR (pronounced whopper) and staying one step ahead of Acer is a whopper of a challenge, it seemed appropriate.

The downside is that if you have the backdoor on, it seems to turn off sound on the Acer. Therefore, I turn it on only before I run an OTA and then turn it back off after the OTA.

So far, the backdoor has allowed me to get back in as root if the OTA changes security. However, it might too be plugged by the evil Acer empire. But for now it seems to work. If anyone has any other backdoor approaches then please share them (I have a couple more if Acer plugs this one), but making and using a backdoor has been my frontline defense.

************** Toggle On/Off OTA version 1.1 *******************

Inside the OTA-Toggle folder is a command program called toggle.cmd
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed or the backdoor.
    1. Turn Off OTA.
    2. Turn On OTA.

3. Quit.

So, if you’re like me and you do not like Acer hacking into your privately owned tablet and destroying data, you just might want to lock them out. This tool (assuming you have root or the backdoor installed), will allow you to turn off OTA’s.

Once turned off, you will not be nagged or bothered with OTA’s ever again until you turn them back on.
    How to root stock 3.2 Extended

Hello to all,

I have created a nice How To about timmyDean's first post in this thread and extend it with the files and instructions needed in order to be completely root, not only in adb shell.

It is a little big so I posted it in my website here http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-kb-fus-en/mnu-kb-android-en/mnu-kb-android-devices-en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/99-art-kb000005-en

I have tested the whole procedure three times in three A500 that we have, for our development needs, with success.

The how to also answers many questions asked here about the procedure. So go ahead and read it and tell me what you think or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christos Hohlidakis
    Rooted 3.2.1 V3 -- Released

Version V3 released
    http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX
    V3
    -- In this version I simplified getting the Serial number of your tablet making it easier to flash. Please read the instructions in the readme.pdf. Many people were struggling trying to load ADB drivers and the ADB tools which the instructions said you needed to load first so you could get your serial number. The flashing tool actually loads the drivers and tools therefore, all you have to do is run the test.cmd after the drivers are loaded to get the serial number. This is now documented better, also you should not have to save the serial number in the CPUID.txt file, so I removed it.

-- I fixed the checksums during the flashing therefore you do not need to boot to recovery mode and fix them using CWM. Now your tablet will just reboot correctly after the flash.

-- I added into the flash, Busybox and SU tools for you. No need to add them later.

Bottom-line, if you installed V2 there is nothing new. V3 is just for those that struggled getting ADB working for their serial number and those that struggled installing the tools. Also, many people 'freaked' when their tablet didn't boot after the flash, because they did not read. Or they struggled with pushing the correct buttons to get into recovery mode to fix the checksums.

Enjoy,
    TD
    Do I get it right that this backdoor idea will not allow me to upgrade from rooted 3.1 to rooted 3.2 with OTA?

No, the backdoor idea is exactly what it says it is. It is a way to get back into a system after they change security when you install an OTA.

To understand what happens during an OTA, is that it is only doing an update. Meaning they update the /system folder and replace (sometimes only updating) everything in /system/app. They may also update the boot and other areas of the device such as / (root folder). However, they don't wipe it totally clean (or most don't). That's why when you get an OTA, for example, you don't have to type in all your contacts again etc. Or reload all your applications you installed from the Marketplace.

During this update process, the last thing they do is reset all the permissions recursively in the /system folder to their default and in doing so remove the 'sticky bit' that gives you root. Most people consider rooting as loading busybox, su, and a Superuser.apk. If you look after the update, you will see su and busybox (normally) are still loaded, just the permissions have the 'stick bit' removed. The Superuser.apk will be missing because they often replace the /system/app folder.

So, what happens in the Android market, is OEM's fix things and push updates. Fix to WiFi, GPS, NetFlex etc and push an update. After the update, the user finds root (#) not working. So they use the exploit that gave them root and re-root the device. Unfortunately, as fast as developers are finding exploits, OEM's are patching them.

In the ACER 3.0.1 there are several exploits to gain root(#) access that have been removed in 3.2.1. Therefore, if you do the OTA's you loose root and then you try to use your exploit to gain root, you get a surprise. The OEM has patched that hole.

So, what you do is create a backdoor that allows you to gain root access outside the normal /system folder and 'sticky bit'. Therefore, when an update occurs, you can get back in as root.

Now, for the ACER. If you have an a500 ACER 3.0.1 Stock, then you can gain root by simply using GingerBreak (Iconiaroot for example). However, if you take OTA's you will loose root and GingerBreak will no longer work. So, since you have root, you create a backdoor, now when you apply the OTA's and it removes the GingerBreak exploit; all you have to do is use your backdoor to get back in as root and set back up bussybox, su, and Superuser.apk.

== Now the current state of the a500 ACER ===
    Earlier versions of the a500 had exploits that we used to gain root. These exploits were all removed in 3.2x. What people found out, was that if they had root they lost it once they upgraded. Or, if they bought it new, and it had 3.2x there was no way to root it.

Therefore, the only solution, at first was to rollback your device to an earlier version that allowed rooting and to stay there or use CWM to apply a modified update of 3.2x with root. Using CWM is a major tool used to replace ROM's or replace with custom ROM's.

However, now the catch 22. In 3.2x, ACER locked the bootloader and by doing so, it prevents you from installing CWM. Because you cannot install CWM, you cannot install custom ROM's or custom updates.

3.2x closed all known exploits, but ACER left the ability to rollback to an earlier version. If they would not have done that, then we'd be stuck (screwed). So, you basically have to rollback to a version you could exploit and then stay there, or load a custom ROM, or install CWM and install a modified update.zip to get you to 3.2x.

If you don't want to stay there and want to apply OTA's then you have to build a backdoor so you can get back in after the OTA's remove your normal root(#).

Hope this helps,
    TD