skinien

Aug 6, 2010
San Diego
My outside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Walked outside into middle of the street.
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2 minutes or less and I got 15 in view and 11 locked on!

See the screenshot... no WiFi and 15 & 11 @60 feet. Remember, I was the guy that posted 10 pages ago about having nothing, dropped his tablet, picked it up and viola.. signals

The issue here is we have a poorly functioning GPS. It shouldn't take two minutes to get a location fix and with 11 locks, error should be 5 meters at the most.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

I sent engadget a tip already last week about the GPS, but encourage everyone to do the same, maybe they'll catch it if a lot of people do it.

I also post some words on asus facebook. I encourage everyone to flood asus until we get a response.

Done, thank you.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Hmm, how about indoors? You getting anything?

Yes, I do. But I live in a ranch style home.

AND, I have not done a cold boot test indoors just like what I did above, so I will do that next to get apples to apples. But before I do I can get, as I posted before after the tablet drop, +7-8-9 signals indoors with wifi to start and keep them when shut wifi off. So, I will do a cold boot indoor test now just like above and see.

n11

Dec 11, 2009
Removing the back cover.

Has anyone tried removing the back cover to see if they can get an indoor fix that way? I'm not sure how to remove it but I'm going to search for the answer and try that. If there is a NOT substantial difference with the cover off then we may eliminate a major variable.

cjbailey75

Nov 25, 2010
newport news
Its the software I did a fireware update last night and GPS found 16 sat and locked on 11 wifi off and within 2 mins. My droid razr had a few more sat but just as fast. Not returning mine everything works now. Bleeding has gone away and wifi works not the best but fine.

RussianMenace

Oct 13, 2010
Its the software I did a fireware update last night and GPS found 16 sat and locked on 11 wifi off and within 2 mins. My droid razr had a few more sat but just as fast. Not returning mine everything works now. Bleeding has gone away and wifi works not the best but fine.

Did you install any updates before this one?

aldrouin

Dec 25, 2011
So after 5 hours or so of waiting for a lock to happen, my GPS finally decided to do lock.

Given, it is currently sitting still, I wouldn't go on a field trip, i'm pretty sure i'd loose the signal, considering it's currently loosing locks every seconds, but at least I'm getting something.

I will continue my test day and hope it fixes itself (doubtful about that), but at least I can say I throughly tested it...

It wasn't getting any signal, so I did a cold reboot with no wireless location and it was able to get some signal from satellites.

Other than that, I'm not putting anything on the device until I know what I will do with it. It's still not functional, I was just lucky enough to get a lock, figured I would post how it happened.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
My inside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Sitting in my office inside a ranch style house
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2.5 minutes or so and I got 8-9 in view and 6 locked on and reported about 45-60 feet accuracy!

So no WiFi and 8 & 6 @45-60 feet.

So, indoors, it took maybe 30 seconds longer at most, and I got less signals and locks but I admit, better than I expected

briant97

Jun 12, 2007
Just not when I hit the reset button it was just a reboot basically it did not wipe and set back to factor. I have yet to test with driving I will here soon. My friend did install gps essentials and that was all he had to do it get it working. He then tried to navigate back to work with it but it did not work correctly. So something is still screwed up with his I still have to test mine.

coquipr

May 4, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I'm not getting any view or lock on mine.only with WiFi on.I have an HTC hd2 and when the porting of HTC 3.0 started GPS was not functional until tytung a member here fixed a bunch of GPS conf. But for that we have to be rooted
Just say
Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Last edited:

RussianMenace

Oct 13, 2010
My inside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2.5 minutes or so and I got 8-9 in view and 6 locked on and reported about 45-60 feet accuracy!

So, indoors, it took maybe 30 seconds longer at most, and I got less signals and locks but I admit, better than I expected

Very interesting, maybe there is some light at the end of this tunnel...hopefully it isn't a train. Did you by chance "clear" the GPS data using GPS Status? Wondering if it remembered the sat from your outside test run. Not trying to be a negative-nancy, just want to make sure all our bases are covered.

Thanks for trying this btw.

briant97

Jun 12, 2007
keep in mind the reset hole is the one below the sd card on left side of tablet in landscape view.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
Very interesting, maybe there is some light at the end of this tunnel...hopefully it isn't a train. Did you by chance "clear" the GPS data using GPS Status? Wondering if it remembered the sat from your outside test run. Not trying to be a negative-nancy, just want to make sure all our bases are covered.

Thanks for trying this btw.

I did not clear AGPS data this time for my tests, but I had about 5 times over the past days since I got it. And at this stage, with these results, I don't plan to right now.

Also recall, if you did not read it, I was the guy that had like zero signals like everyone else, dropped my tablet during a GPS test and picked it up and viola.. signals rolling in the moment I turned it over to look and see if I had broken the screem. That was about 10 pages ago I posted the details :)

wish34

May 18, 2009
My outside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes
5. Walked outside into middle of the street.
6. Turned on tablet (remember, NO wifi on and only GPS on) and... it took maybe 2 minutes or less and I got 15 in view and 11 locked on!

See the screenshot... no WiFi and 15 & 11 @60 feet. Remember, I was the guy that posted 10 pages ago about having nothing, dropped his tablet, picked it up and viola.. signals

looking at that screenshot you posted shouldnt the locked satellites be green, its optimum viewing yet signal strength is still yellow..........

RussianMenace

Oct 13, 2010
I did not clear AGPS data this time for my tests, but I had about 5 times over the past days since I got it. And at this stage, with these results, I don't plan to right now.

Also recall, if you did not read it, I was the guy that had like zero signals like everyone else, dropped my tablet during a GPS test and picked it up and viola.. signals rolling in the moment I turned it over to look and see if I had broken the screem. That was about 10 pages ago I posted the details :)

Thanks for trying it out, bud. Appreciate it. Well, maybe if my new Prime comes with jacked up GPS ill try and drop it on the carpet floor before I return it to BB. See if does the trick.:D

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
just the update from last night havent had it 24 hours but mine is fine.

OK, so if you just got it and this your first update then this is the update everyone has already. I check on a daily basis almost for any new updates through settings. don't forget ICS should be coming to us any day now. if its software issue affecting GPS, then lets hope the fix is included in ICS if no other updates comes before then.

n11

Dec 11, 2009
My inside cold boot test

1. Turned off wifi
2. Left GPS on
3. Shut down tablet
4. Let sit 5 minutes

Thanks Lock-N-Load.
Can we build on your test to get everyone to contribute and agree on the most difficult test for GPS to pass before we declare it working.
I would start with these steps:
  • GPS off
  • Wifi off
  • Airplane mode
  • In GPS Status, menu, tools, manage A-GPS state, push reset
  • Turn off and restart the Transformer Prime
  • Open GPS status and test both indoors and outdoors
  • Open Google Navigation, set a destination and drive there (or next step)
  • or - drive with GPS Status open to see how it holds sats
If a few folks would try this series of steps we'd get even more confirmation of the depth of the problem. Please suggest any other steps that you think would provide a critical test. I'm posting this because during the course of this thread I've mistakenly believed that my gps was working. In the end it was working in a technical sense, but it was so weak that it wasn't working in a practical sense.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Strange that out of all these posts only a single Prime seems to work properly and no one else can duplicate lock-n-load's results. If months went by you could say that Asus may have changed something but every prime is no more than two weeks old so all of them should be the same. And an engineer said the antenna is probably soldered to the edge of the same circuit board the chip is on so dropping it wouldn't seem likely to change anything. Again, strange.

briant97

Jun 12, 2007
Status Update driving using Navigator only works if you are tethered to cell phone and only works if pad is up in the window. Turn wireless off and its toast. I rested unit in lap against steering wheel and it lost signal even with wireless on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I felt compelled to register and post because I see a lot of misinformation here. Let's get a few facts straight...

-GPS does not require the use of a WiFi(802.11) or cellular(2G/3G/4G) connection to get a first fix
    -Some implementations of GPS have the capability to use WiFi and/or cellular connections as an option to help speed up time to first fix. This is called AGPS and only affects time to first fix.
    -Accuracy of GPS typically does not increase with WiFi or cellular connection. In other words, once a fix is obtained, GPS accuracy is the same whether WiFi or cellular connections are present. I say typically though because there are some advanced systems that use off device servers to do some heavy computations and then relay device location back to the device through WiFi or cellular. I doubt this is the case with the TF201.
    -Some devices have no GPS and just use WiFi or cellular data to provide a very rough (e.g. 200m) location accuracy. THIS IS NOT GPS.

I believe the TF201 has a GPS system that uses WiFi to help speed up time to first fix. That said, WiFi should not be required in the TF201 when trying to get a first fix, and the lack of WiFi should only extend the time to first fix.

Given the symptoms people are reporting, and the fact that it is not consistent from device to device, I also believe the problem plaguing the TF201 is hardware related and specifically related to the GPS's receive sensitivity. Perhaps there is some variation in antenna impedance from tablet to tablet. This could be caused by something as trivial and devastating such as manufacturing intolerances that cause the aluminum metal casing to inadvertently touch an antenna and screw up the receive path impedance.
    So I just got my replacement ATP. Before I took the first one I got back to
    Best buy I shot a comparison video for the GPS. The Second one I got has a
    working GPS. Its not as strong as it should be but its working. The first one..
    nothing.

Both on my car hood in my driveway on a clear night with full view of the sky.
    It took about 1 minute for the one with a working gps to get any signal. The
    signal strenth seemed to fluctuate a lot.

Who'd listen to you? You're an idiot. :)

I suggest people trying to get a fix without holding the tablet. Try laying it on its face and back and see if you can get a fix.
    Hello fellow members. I know this is not a fix but a workaround to have navigation working assuming you have a smartphone with bluetooth tethering .

I have the transformer prime nonrooted and evo 4g running cm7.1.

I used this how to video

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=d43uq-gzI_I&v=d43uq-gzI_I&gl=US

I first blutooth tether to get internet access. Uses less battery. (I didnt follow his wifi tethering instructions )

Make phone discoverable connect tablet. Hit pair on both devices, then connect internet on tablet bluetooth setting ( once done i turn off discoverable on phone)

Then enable the phones gps app (gps over bt, market free )left discoverable at 30. (I change this to 5 still works fine)

On the tablet i went to settings application setting enable mock location

I then launched the tablet gps app (bluetooth gps, market free by googoo ) and enable mock location. Then hit the connect button. And thats it.

Add the widget tablet. Done.

Hopefully ics does fix this problem

I love my evo 4g with cm7. Does everthing i need

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
    not getting a single sat here. coming from a Galaxy S, this isn't new to me...