Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
This was the thread that got Android started on Vogue, use it now for all discussions about kernel development.
The first 400 pages or so are just for historical interest

Hi All,
I've managed to get Linux and Android up and running on Vogue. I've put everything you need at http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue. Just download the latest android zip file, copy system.img and data.gz to the root of your sd card and all the other files anywhere you like, run haret.exe, click run and wait a while. This is with my New Zealand Vogue (Branded as OKTA Touch) but it seems to work on all Vogues, (e.g. Sprint Touch). This has no chance of working on any phone without an MSM7X00 CPU. Newer kernels (i.e. those with audio and power collapse) will only work properly if you have an updated radio, I am using 3.42.50 so update to this if you can.

Volume Down is the Menu Button, Volume Up is Back, Power is Home (on recent kernels) and the Camera button displays the keyboard.

This will not damage your phone in any way and is very safe, it doesn't touch the NAND flash memory so can't mess up anything, just soft reset (or press and hold the end call button, then select power down) to restart windows mobile.

To add Android apks, put them into a directory called AndroidApps (must be capitalised correctly) in the root of your SD card.

Update: Touchscreen now works, people have also had some success running this on Kaiser and Titan.

Update: Radio works, see post 187.

Update: Now has an onscreen keyboard, see post 303. (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2213637&postcount=303)

Update: Can now make and receive audio calls, see post 312.

Update: SMS now works, see post 330.

Update: Backlight can now be turned off and the browser works well.

Update: Better keyboard, working clock and charging, see post 436.

Update: SD driver works, see post 539

Update: New SDK boots, network and calls work, no SMS yet.

Update: New SDK works much better, SMS works, audio works, now has full screen keyboard, see post 867

Update: Power Collapse works, battery meter works.... in fact it's pretty much usable now.

Update: Camera works (with some quirks), network can be connected and disconnected.

Update: Runs the android cupcake release with on screen kbd.

Update: Screen brightness works.

Update: USB works (adb only)

Update: GPU works.

Update: Audio input works.

Thanks.

Note: This will only work on Vogue, Please don't ask about other devices, they should have their own threads.

There is now an irc channel (#vogue-android) on freenode to chat about this port.

My Paypal is here if you want to support this project:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webs...bn=PP-DonationsBF:btn_donate_SM.gif:NonHosted

Last edited:

suanccd

Feb 22, 2008
I tried with my Sprint Touch. Apparently it boot up ok. I saw the GUI of Android with contact/dial/all shown in the lower right corner of the screen.

However, none of the buttons are working, including d-pad, volume up/down. :(

Last edited:

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Ah I see the problem, I copied an older initrd to the site, download initrd-android again (should be 19595944 bytes) and it might work.

Red49er

Feb 1, 2008
AMAZING! I've been looking forward to Android since before it was announced, and to be honest, I'm super impressed that someone's already gotten it working on a ppc. I'll have to try it out sometime this weekend.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Don't get too excited, it's not usable as a phone. If anyone wants to help get the radio working though all the source is on the site.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
wow now that is impressive. is this the real thing? that is...almost unbelievable. it took people longer to get wm6.1 running than this lol.

2 things tho:
1. could we maybe get some screenshots please?
2. how many others know about this? im sure if we posted in the appropriate areas here, at howardforums, and on ppcgeeks we would see some real progress.

EDIT: any ETA on how long till the touchscreen function is functional?

Last edited:

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hi, it is real, that's the beauty of open source.

I don't have any screenshots, it looks just like the emulator though and I'm sure somebody will post pics soon enough.

Nobody else knows about it, I just got it working today. I'm working on the touchscreen but it won't be much use really because there's no on screen kbd yet for android. More difficult is the radio though because the android kernel source uses a more recent version of AMSS (the qualcomm radio software) and somebody will have to reverse engineer the version in our phones. Should be possible though.

USB doesn't work but there is a driver so that shouldn't be too hard.

The other thing it needs is an SD driver, at the moment it boots out of a large initramdisk so there's no persistent data.

Have fun.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Hi, it is real, that's the beauty of open source.

I don't have any screenshots, it looks just like the emulator though and I'm sure somebody will post pics soon enough.

Nobody else knows about it, I just got it working today. I'm working on the touchscreen but it won't be much use really because there's no on screen kbd yet for android. More difficult is the radio though because the android kernel source uses a more recent version of AMSS (the qualcomm radio software) and somebody will have to reverse engineer the version in our phones. Should be possible though.

USB doesn't work but there is a driver so that shouldn't be too hard.

The other thing it needs is an SD driver, at the moment it boots out of a large initramdisk so there's no persistent data.

Have fun.

WOW. i REALLY must say i am REALLY excited and amazed at all this!
so one more quick question: is this currently only for the vogue? the porting of the android os/whatever device-specific i assume?

we really ought to have this moved to the vogue upgrading sub-forum in order to get more exposure

i assume you dont mind or you wouldnt have posted here, so im gonna post this over at ppcgeeks.

if you do mind though, be sure to let me know!

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
No problem posting elsewhere. It should work on titan (but might be short of memory and keys may not work), doesn't work on kaiser because the hardware is slightly different.

landwomble

Jun 2, 2006
you're going to be famous if you get this working

...i'd get some advertising revenue from your website organised if I were you!
MS are going to be really upset if it proves easy to get a WM phone and blow off WM for Android. I'd love to run Android on my Artemis.

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
I'm working on the touchscreen but it won't be much use really because there's no on screen kbd yet for android.

Do you have a CPLD gpio extender on Vogue ? It's certainly there on kaiser and titan.
Is the touchscreen a TSC2003 on i2c or something on a MSM ADC ?

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
touchscreen is i2c, i don't know about the cpld stuff. the only gpios i used are for the buttons and they were quite obvious. the hard part will be the radio because it looks like it uses rpc over the shared memory. Same for clock control and pm.

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Great work. It's good to see progress being made. Unfortunately I can do absolutely nothing to help :)

vboyz103

Apr 9, 2006
can somebody tell me what button to press to end a program and go back to "home" screen on Android?

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
No problem posting elsewhere. It should work on titan (but might be short of memory and keys may not work), doesn't work on kaiser because the hardware is slightly different.

alright great. im gonna try and post it in the titan sections here and at ppcgeeks and see what happens with this "It should work on titan (but might be short of memory and keys may not work), doesn't work on kaiser because the hardware is slightly different." in mind and posted. i suppose it couldnt hurt.

since my knowledge is far too limited to provide assistance here, i might as well try and recruit some more help! though it looks to be that cr2 knows what hes doing (thanks!):)

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
must say, it's nice to see a post from the guy that is doing this. I've been using your website as a base for my titan.

Note to the titan users, in the default text you'll want to change the machine type to 1463 (MTYPE = 1463)

My quick question is, if i run haret and happen to boot up android, will i end up requiring a hard reset? I know some people say yes and some say no, but I figured I'd ask someone using the newest haret on one of our phones. (it's a pain for me to reflash, as i have to reboot into windows and do it).

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hi,
Don't change the mtype, it definitely won't boot if you do that.

This runs entirely from RAM so it won't do any damage to your phone and you won't have to reflash it. I've booted this kernel hundreds of times and the worst that has happened is that I lost my contacts list once and had to resync, i guess the wince filesystem is not that robust to crashes.

You will have to reset the phone after you're done playing with android by poking the stylus into the button on the bottom; but i'm sure wince uses are used to doing that.

I didn't map the home key but volume up will go back.

I've updated the initrd to include the api demos now.
Thanks,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..