FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][GB 2.3.5]GingerBread Phone 7 v0.5 (12/11/11)

591 posts
Thanks Meter: 188

By Peperm1nt, Senior Member on 26th September 2011, 05:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th December 2011, 03:42 PM |#171  
Flag A hole in the ground with a comfy couch
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Hey Pepper! I have not flashed this ROM yet, but I must say I think your idea for this is great! I have been watching it since you first released it. I will try this soon. Keep up the good work, its nice to see a completely different styled rom once in a while(not that there is anything wrong with other roms :P).

14th December 2011, 05:05 PM |#172  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
Thanks man...trying to keep it off the boat...

Tapin' the Talk on the xSquared
21st December 2011, 11:30 PM |#173  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
Shout out to UbuntuBrandon for uploading a video review of this ROM!!

GBP7 population has grown quite a bit since my initial release of this Project and I would like to thank all those who have supported me and thanks to the devs that have helped me along the way thus far.

History and Explanation of this ROM:

This ROM was started as a Project to help me along the ways to becoming a developer for Android. I don't classify myself as a "good" developer, but this ROM has taught me a lot and the information I have come across since the initial build of this ROM has made me that much better at becoming what I need to be to make this ROM and Project a reality.

The reason why I choose GO! Apps over AOSP is the fact that they have so many features and really isolate a lot of battery drain. The developers @GO! have did an amazing job with these apps and are used in place until I finish building the actual wp7 apps from source. Once I have accomplished a good foundation for those apps, I will replace them to match the theme of this ROM. The goal is to get wp7 UI on Android and not just by replacing a few apps here and there. This will be a project and the day that this ROM is "complete" is when ALL apps(everything that I or any developer supporting this ROM can touch) with a WP7 styling.

Why? Because I honestly feel that WP7 has one of the cleanest and nicest UI's that I have seen on a mobile device. But I choose Android over wp7 because of the Potential the Android platform has with the UNLIMITED customization and the openness of Android. WP7 will probably never have the number of features that Android can offer and with Google's push to keep things open as much as they can, Microsoft has no chance. So, with that comes me and my project(I'm sure there are others as well) to get that WP7 clean and slick UI to our Android Devices.

The Blur camera is used over AOSP because I have had less compatibility issues with the Blur Camera as opposed to AOSP; especially trying to record Hi Def videos on the x2. Soon there will be an AOSP Camera app and soon everything will be built from source.

I thank all those who have supported this project and thanks again to UbuntuBrandon for the video Review.

Happy Holidays everyone
30th December 2011, 09:26 AM |#174  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Just got it installed. I don't know if this is bad, but I was on the bare bones version of Eclipse 2.0.2 (2nd Init). I just did a data wipe and factory reset, didn't SBF. I still get the Eclipse animation during boot, but the phone comes up fine.

So far, the only issue I'm seeing is Gmail is black on black, I see that's been reported already. I'll get more time to use it tomorrow and see how things go.
30th December 2011, 04:41 PM |#175  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
The eclipse boot animation is the nexus bout animation, with eclipse tagging it. If you notice, the eclipse logo isn't in the center of the boot animation.

The text errors will be patched with next release, just got my new computer yesterday and still setting up my tools to work things out.should see a patch within a week or two, but it will probably be a full release. Hope you enjoy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Peperm1nt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Peperm1nt Ad-Free
31st December 2011, 05:56 AM |#176  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
I hate to over-post in the dev area so I'll just update this post if I notice any other issues.

I used the phone (with GBP rom) for about 24 hours now. That might not sound like much, but I'm obsessed with my phone and use it for everything from entertainment to work. Anyway, GBP has worked fine. I have had zero data issues, I use Skifta to interact with Rygel on the Linux box I use for media--I streamed Contagion (movie) with no issues or interruptions. I downloaded a few large files (Fedora.iso) over wifi just to test the connection--no issues. The 3g speed was a bit slow, my speed test was about half a meg, upload was not much better. I normally pull about 1mb, but the connection was stable--and the speed issue could have been for many reasons that have little to do with the rom. I played music for a few hours, no issues, used mx video to watch an episode of Family Guy from my SD, no issues. About the only time I had an error was using the camera, when I tap the image to open the gallery, it says there is no gallery installed--but when I open gallery from the app drawer, everything is fine.

I'm not a dev or even a professional tester, but the phone worked for all my normal uses. I did notice that it doesn't have the bells and whistles that Eclipse does, but damn, I'd be proud if it was my first effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaserChicken For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LaserChicken Ad-Free
31st December 2011, 09:34 AM |#177  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
I have NO android experience prior to the x2 lol and this ROM was made for me to learn how the process is with development of Android software and ROM developing. Thanks for the post LaserChicken. I hope you enjoyed the ROM.

The issue stated within the camera app is because its the stock blur camera, and I didn't rework it to use the Gallery provided. Waiting to build everything AOSP with the next release and hopefully, the dialer and sms will be exactly like the wp7 apps; along with some other goodies.
2nd January 2012, 03:30 AM |#178  
Flag Hampton Roads, VA
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperm1nt

I have NO android experience prior to the x2 lol and this ROM was made for me to learn how the process is with development of Android software and ROM developing.

That's really impressive. I've been meaning to flash your ROM, Peperm1nt, when I get more work done and had to comment on that when I was checking out your thread. How did you get into developing? I'm just curious how ppl get into developing these ROMs. All my knowledge is through GOOGLE and I wish I had computer classes at my high school.

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda mid-grade
2nd January 2012, 04:57 AM |#179  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
Just pick up n go...learn different aspects of how the system works. Plus I have a good foundation in Linux and how OS's operate. Google was my friend in learning the process.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
3rd January 2012, 06:29 AM |#180  
Flag Manhattan
Thanks Meter: 21

More
wow the theme looks really nice =) ~ I've never been a real big windows mobile fan either

the only thing holding me back from going for it is i don't know how kind the battery life and performance plan to be, how much free ram, and if i can actually trust my phone to not consume it's battery life when it's not in use lol
3rd January 2012, 11:59 AM |#181  
OP Senior Member
Flag Matewan

Donate to Me
More
I'm using eclipse right now(2.0.2 to compare and see what I can do to improve my ROM) and so far gbp7 if better on both ends. I play fruit ninja and out lags up sometimes after 3 or 4 rounds. And the battery life I get around 2 extra hours of life on gbp7. Also I get redraws at times on eclipse but I multitask a lot...sooooo there is my comparison.

And thanks about the theme, best I can say is try out out and see what you think.

Tapin the Talk on the xSquared
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gbp7, gingerbread phone 7, peperm1nt, wp7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)