Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

benoldcrap

Sep 23, 2007
Lincoln, NE
You could very possibly chalk this up to user error, but I couldn't get this to work on my Titan.

When I run haret, I get an error message saying: Failed load 5990 pages.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
That means haret ran out of memory. It needs 25M free, if you can get that on titan it should boot at least.

Hugo381

Nov 24, 2007
I keep getting "Failed to load file /My Documents/zImage"

I cant run it when I click on run. I have all the appropriate file in the same directory.

Any thoughts?

Hugo381

Nov 24, 2007
I keep getting "Failed to load file /My Documents/zImage"

I cant run it when I click on run. I have all the appropriate file in the same directory.

Any thoughts?

Nevermind I figured it out. I just renamed "zImage" to "zImage.txt" and also "initrd-android" to "initrd-android.txt" in the "default.txt" file.

Looks awesome, wish we had a fully functional version to use. But this version is useful to see whats in store for it. Its smooth and its eye candy!

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
hmm...

After closing as much stuff as possible and finagling all sorts of crap to get enough RAM on my mogul (POS RAM. stupid lousy htc...) I run haret, it does the HaRET: Booting linux...
fills up the bar, and says "Go Go Go..." but that's where it stops. Any ideas? I just made the log file, so I'll check that, but we'll see I guess.

I downloaded the new initrd-android and it says file too large...hmmm

Last edited:

AttractiveApe

Mar 20, 2008
Works great on my phone -- I can hardly wait till the touchscreen works.

It also looks like the green/red softkeys and the camera button isn't working as well -- I'll be sure to watch this thread.

Props to the OP!

shark1987

Oct 14, 2007
Cypress, TX
alright, i got it on my touch. Very cool that I got to see it in action, thought that would be way off. Runs great and the graphics demos they have are pretty cool and run very smooth on our phones, which is awesome for all the user made apps that will be made for this.

When will Android be released for real? I realize that there isn't a set date but do they think it will be this year?

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Hi All,
I've been playing with my new vogue for a few weeks now and have managed to get Linux and Android up and running. The radio doesn't work so you can't use it as a phone yet. I've put everything you need at http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue. Just download haret.exe, zImage, initrd-android and default.txt, copy them to your phone, run haret.exe, click run and wait a while. The touchscreen doesn't work yet but the buttons should, Volume up/down are the return and menu keys. This is with my NZ Vogue (Branded as OKTA Touch) other versions may or may not work, let me know if it works for you.
Thanks.

this is really pretty incredible i think.

my question is...do you have the capability to get this working? well, thats not quite what i mean. what i mean is, is Android in a late/good/stable enough stage that even assuming we had the touchscreen working and the radio working...could it do anything?

i ask this because i am fascinated by this. but i dont want to get myself over excited if all we will ever be able to do with it is look at it until the real android is released.

so i guess my question could also be said like this: Is it more help for you and your success we are waiting/hoping for, or is it the real release of android we are hoping for.

you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this in my opinion, so i figure if it was up to us you could do it. but even assuming you could, would we still just be waiting for a newer release of android to be able to do anything with it? ie calendar, txt messaging, multimedia, internet, etc.. (i realize these are prob a way off)

thanks a lot! (this is COOL) Jim.

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
is there anyway to make haret require less ram? I think that's my biggest problem with this phone (titan). I can get up to like 23 (and it was running haret, but sticking after progress bar) and now it's throwing my the memory error (5990 or whatever).

HTC really fouled up this phone. GREAT idea, poorly implemented.

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Did you comment out the ramsize ne in default.txt?
you can see if linux will run without android by commenting out the initrd line (with a #).

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
edited out initrd and got to tx screen, but...that's it thus far. I'm not too excited about attempting a hard reset to try to boot it fresh. I'll play a bit more see if i can come up with anything else. (if this headache will go away)

dzo

Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
It's a good sign that linux boots, what you probably need to do now is make the initrd as small as possible. It's just a gziped cpio archive, on a linux box extract it, then delete as much as you think you can get away with i.e. all sounds and anything else that looks useless. Pack it all up again and it may work.

Psionfenix

Nov 11, 2007
Las Vegas
Makes sense. I had a different initrd.bin that I threw in there (and reenabled the initrd in the default.txt), i got the tux screen, "press enter" to activate this console, and it just started scrolling:
"siocsifador: no such device" among other things. So it's a step in the right direction. It might be this headache or my lack of sleep, but at the moment i can't even think of what to use for the initrd-android.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Do you have to copy the files to the Device Memory or can I put them on the SD Card.

You might mention in your opening post that this is the "Google Phone" OS.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
Got it up. Pretty cool.

You should start a Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/) project on it.

Tips for folks installing it.

Right Click Save As on each of the links (don't click on them).

Strip the .txt extention off zImage and initrd-android

The files should look like this.

zImage
initrd-android
haret.exe
default.txt

Copy everything to device folder and run haret.exe

Volume up will pop you out of an application.

Be cool to mess with some geeky friends heads with :)

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
What are the odds of someone ever getting this to boot natively on the device rather than by usung Haret?

It is possible to create a standalone wince .exe file (linload.exe), but this option is
broken in the recent haret CVS (it builds but does not run as expected).

gima2002

Jan 12, 2008
Great work

This is wonderful I always knew somebody would eventually try this. I am just surprised its this quick. The only thing though is that the touchscreen and radio are pretty much essential for this to be useful and I was wondering if you think it will be possible to get those working on the vogue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..