Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

devwithzachary

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Hello guys,
Thank you all for the amount of support you have given this project! I have now decided to stop updating this thread. If people still have bugs or want to keep following this project please go to the Main project thread HERE.

I will stop updating this thread because I feel we now know what roms/kernels do and don't work so there is no need for me to keep updating this thread (And the other 5 threads I run for certain devices), but of cause if you do still have problems reply to the main thread or PM me!

Once again thank you all!!

I have released the first version of my app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have only been able to test the app on my HTC Desire S and Gen 8 Archos tablet and as such I need you guys to test this on your phone/tablet and post back how it works on your device!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
Website
http://zpwebsites.com/android-app/ubuntu-install-guide/devices/

Video
http://youtu.be/3WNeY9b5DIg

App Download

Boot Script
ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Images
These images are 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing'

Lightweight Images
These images are just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, firefox, + other basic programs)

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
06/01/12
*PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
*New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
*Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
*Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
*Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
*PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
*ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
*ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
*ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
*Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
*Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions

See how deep the rabbit-hole goes...
http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
The Backtrack 5 app has now been released! it is £1.25 from the market (there is not free version and it is a little more because there was alot more work needed to get it working well!)

The forum thread is HERE

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Sounds interesting. Assume it allows Ubuntu installation on the fat32 partition of our sd card? Do we need to create an ext loop device?

But why 10.10?

Edit, nevermind it says loop device in market.

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Sounds interesting. Assume it allows Ubuntu installation on the fat32 partition of our sd card? Do we need to create an ext loop device?

But why 10.10?

all you need to do is place the image and boot script in a folder on your sdcard (the main fat32 partition) and then run the boot script and it will do the rest for you :)

Reactions: martintspedersen

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Excellent. Just downloading the large image now.

FYI my rom didn't know what to do with the ubuntu.sh when downloading and consequently failed. I had to download via PC. May be worth uploading that in a zip.

Will keep you posted.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Cool. May also be worth taking the money made on the paid version and investing in an ftp server so one of the benefits of the paid version is fast downloads.

After ages downloading the ubuntu image (which was slow) on my desire, it wouldn't open (possible corruption). So just redownloading it on PC. Still really slow, but should be reliable at least.

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Cool. May also be worth taking the money made on the paid version and investing in an ftp server so one of the benefits of the paid version is fast downloads.

After ages downloading the ubuntu image (which was slow) on my desire, it wouldn't open (possible corruption). So just redownloading it on PC. Still really slow, but should be reliable at least.

Interesting no one has said about slow downloads and then two in the same day, I think I will look at getting FTP space, my web host doesn't like people hosting large files know any good providers

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA App

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I just cant get a working copy of the 800x400 full ubuntu. Even on Ubuntu 11.10, if I try to extract with archive manager, I get:

Code:
 bad CRC cdfec25d  (should be 973dc4e5)

This was multiple sources (both multiupload and upload king). Can you download to confirm please?

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
I just cant get a working copy of the 800x400 full ubuntu. Even on Ubuntu 11.10, if I try to extract with archive manager, I get:

Code:
 bad CRC cdfec25d  (should be 973dc4e5)

This was multiple sources (both multiupload and upload king). Can you download to confirm please?

I can confirm everything is working ok at my end and no one else who has downloaded it (around 200 people) have had this problem, I will in the next few day be uploading new versions to my ftp server to give faster speeds (this will only be for the paid version however I will PM you the link for the 800x400 full version)

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
thanks very much. I will try and download one more time from a different source.

Just odd I get this on Ubuntu and Android :/

What application was used to zip the files?

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Code:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ubuntu.sh
Loop device exists
losetup: /dev/block/loop7
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop7 on /data/local/mnt failed: Device or resource busy
mount: mounting devpts on /data/local/mnt/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting proc on /data/local/mnt/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting sysfs on /data/local/mnt/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard on /data/local/mnt/sdcard failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard/external_sd on /data/local/mnt/external_sd failed: No such file or directory
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
ubuntu.sh: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexistent
ubuntu.sh: cannot create /data/local/mnt/etc/hosts: directory nonexistent
Ubuntu is configured with SSH and VNC servers that can be accessed from the IP:
eth0: No such device

chroot: can't execute '/root/init.sh': No such file or directory
Shutting down Ubuntu ARM
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/dev/pts: No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/proc: No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/sys: No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt: Invalid argument
losetup: /dev/loop7: Device or resource busy
#

I did mkdir for missing directories:

Code:
# sh ubuntu.sh
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt, File exists
Loop device exists

mount: mounting /dev/block/loop7 on /data/local/mnt failed: Device or resource busy
mount: mounting /sdcard/external_sd on /data/local/mnt/external_sd failed: No such file or directory
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
eth0: ip 192.168.1.4 mask 255.255.255.0 flags [up broadcast running multicast]

Shutting down Ubuntu ARM

looking closer at your shell:

Code:
busybox mount -o bind /sdcard/external_sd /data/local/mnt/external_sd
I don't know what /sdcard/external_sd is as the root of my sd card is mnt/sdcard/ so I would have expected to bind that? That said, /data/local/mnt/sdcard now exists (and is the correct mount point).

Let me know any information you want to know about my directory structure.

Its a standard AOSP build, not sense. You can download the ROM from my site in my signature if it helps.

Also, if you have any amendments you want me to test on your shell, just let me know. Cheers

Last edited:

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Code:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ su
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ubuntu.sh
Loop device exists
mount: mounting devpts on /data/local/mnt/dev/pts failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting proc on /data/local/mnt/proc failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting sysfs on /data/local/mnt/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sdcard on /data/local/mnt/sdcard failed: No such file or directory
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
eth0: No such device

Shutting down Ubuntu ARM
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/dev/pts: No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/proc: No such file or directory
umount: can't umount /data/local/mnt/sys: No such file or directory
#

I did mkdir for missing directories:

Code:
# sh ubuntu.sh
mkdir failed for /data/local/mnt, File exists
Loop device exists

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
eth0: ip 192.168.1.4 mask 255.255.255.0 flags [up broadcast running multicast]

Shutting down Ubuntu ARM

looking closer at your shell:

Code:
busybox mount -o bind /sdcard/external_sd /data/local/mnt/external_sd
I don't know what /sdcard/external_sd is as the root of my sd card is mnt/sdcard/ so I would have expected to bind that? That said, /data/local/mnt/sdcard now exists (and is the correct mount point).

Let me know any information you want to know about my directory structure.

Its a standard AOSP build, not sense. You can download the ROM from my site in my signature if it helps.

Also, if you have any amendments you want me to test on your shell, just let me know. Cheers

Well the main error is likely the same as most people are getting, but its one of two things either your phone is using loop7 for something else, or the file system used dosnt support the larger image. To test if its the latter please try the light weight image, as those that it was the second problem could mount the small image.

the external sd card error is fine, the code is in the script for tablets that have both internal memory which is often mounted /sdcard and then a normal sdcard is mounted sdcard/external_sd.

I will be releasing a new version of the boot script likely tomorrow which it would be wonderful if you could test!

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
That was the lightweight image.

What else uses loop7 in a rom?

I use no a2sd scripts. The only "special" modification is expandable RAM disk for market downloads, which doesnt use loop.

I use FAT32 on SD card so its not the size of the img file thats a problem

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
That was the lightweight image.

What else uses loop7 in a rom?

I use no a2sd scripts. The only "special" modification is expandable RAM disk for market downloads, which doesnt use loop.

I use FAT32 on SD card so its not the size of the img file thats a problem

I know that loop devices are used by some programs but manly used for having apps on the sdcard, but I think its best to hold for the next script release (very very soon I hope!)

devwithzachary

Oct 12, 2009
London
Huawei P40
Here is a new version of the boot script including alot of changes ad improvements alot thanks to Lubensius, the script is now alot 'smarter' and should work on a better range of devices. Can you please all test this new script so I can stamp out any other bugs before including it in the next release of the app. If you could say if the old version worked or not and then if the new one does or does not work.
Thank you
New Script

Reactions: danarama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys,
    Thank you all for the amount of support you have given this project! I have now decided to stop updating this thread. If people still have bugs or want to keep following this project please go to the Main project thread HERE.

I will stop updating this thread because I feel we now know what roms/kernels do and don't work so there is no need for me to keep updating this thread (And the other 5 threads I run for certain devices), but of cause if you do still have problems reply to the main thread or PM me!

Once again thank you all!!

I have released the first version of my app, which guides you through the installation of Ubuntu within android via chroot. It includes a ubuntu 10.10 image I have been working on which includes lots of program to allow users to develop program/scripts etc within Ubuntu on there phone/tablet.

However I have only been able to test the app on my HTC Desire S and Gen 8 Archos tablet and as such I need you guys to test this on your phone/tablet and post back how it works on your device!

Please post your device/kernel/rom along with what did and didn't work, so I can draw up what I need to change in the next release of the app/ubuntu build.
    Website
    http://zpwebsites.com/android-app/ubuntu-install-guide/devices/

Video
    http://youtu.be/3WNeY9b5DIg

App Download

Boot Script
    ubuntu.sh(V5)

Full Images
    These images are 1.5GB to download, once extracted 3.5GB, and include alot of programs like openoffice, thunderbird, firefox and over programs for 'developing'

Lightweight Images
    These images are just under 500MB to download, once extracted 2.5GB, and include only programs needed (LXDE desktop, firefox, + other basic programs)

I also want to build up a small group of testers who I can email with new images and scripts, these will include all future distros that I do. If you are interested in joining this test group please PM me or send a email to zac@zpwebsites.com
    The only requirement is that your willing to test and send feedback along with screen shoots etc where required, it would also be good if your willing to try different roms and kernels for your device!

Sig Banner
    Show your love of ubuntu on android with my sig banner:
    ubuntuuser.png

image url is "http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11206993/ubuntuuser.png"

Other Guides
    Like this guide? want to try something different? then check out my other guides for different distro's
    Backtrack - This is a distro that is based around security testing, it also includes the Gnome desktop environment and a range of other programs.

Updates
    06/01/12
    *PAID app file downloads now use new fast FTP server and support direct downloading (click the button to download a image and it starts to download right away)
    *New boot script which has fixed problems with it not booting on alot of devices, and fixed problem which some people getting a grey screen when loading UI
    *Boot script now downloaded in zip file to fix problems with downloading script
    *Both apps fixed to support low resolutions
    *Both apps cleaned up

28/12/11
    *PAID app now supports 960x540 'qHD' resolution
    *ALL Ubuntu lightweight images cleaned up even more saved another 300MB of space
    *ALL Ubuntu images updated with all new updates
    *ALL Ubuntu images now in .zip format to fix problems with some peoples devices failing to extract the .rar files
    *Boot script updated, once booted now terminal acts like a command line interface for Ubuntu, and some boot problems now fixed
    *Image and boot script now downloadable separately to allow easier updating

19/12/11
    New 'lighter' ubuntu image options for all resolutions already supported

15/12/11
    New ubuntu images with all updates up to 15/11/11
    FREE app ubuntu image resized to fit 800x480 resolution
    PAID app ubuntu images now includes 4 images for 800x480, 854x480, 1024x600 and 1280x800 resolutions

See how deep the rabbit-hole goes...
    http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/
    Very good thread here!!

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 AM ----------

this works with htc 3.5 sense??
    Thanks for responding me and to everyone who asking here! U are great man!!!
    is there a posibility to run one of this images on sense 3.5?????
    Thanks a lot for backtrack5 images !!! U are great!!!
    I rate it you thread because is excelent!!!