Eink [NST] Optimizations (Apps, launchers, SetCPU...)

Search This thread
A

ace7196

So there are a few threads of apps that plain work on the NST, but I want apps that are optimized (i.e. black and white/no animations/useable). Below are my findings.

Battery drain
First off, let's say you've rooted and installed some basics gapps. I found that some things seems to cause some pretty fierce battery drain (I remember on my G1 that calendar sync was buggy, resulting in constant syncing attempts and bad battery drain). Now this is on a per-user basis, but I basically removed everything but the core gapps files and gmail. Here's a list of stuff you can "safely" remove (remember, ALWAYS backup).

Launchers
I've tried them all, but the ADW with the minimalistic black theme is the best IMO. You can make the background white of the app drawer, remove all but one page, and turn off everything that moves (I set all the options to max/0 to ensure that I do not see any animations of any sort).

Navigation
So depending on how you achieved root, you may or may not have button savior installed. I didn't want extra stuff cluttering up my screen, so I removed it. For those of you who want a high contrast eink button savior, you've got it here. Buy the pro and support the dev. If you want to use the hardware buttons, you have to get this (which you may already have if you have rooted via Nooter).

I set the top left button as back, top right as menu, bottom left as pagedown, and bottom right as pageup. The page up and page down are from the normal left side, so they appear as LEFT_PAGEDOWN and LEFT_PAGERIGHT. I also disabled the BN menu when you press the N and made it just go to ADW.

Apps
Sorry to disappoint, but since I want to get rid of as many distractions as possible, I only have a few:
Android PDF Reader: Has optimizations for eink devices, is quick to redraw, and page up and down work.
Sparse RSS: I've been working with the dev and have gotten page up/down to work. I have a dev build if interested, but I'm sure he'll publish an update soon with it working on the market (1.3.1 does not work, but the next version should have the fix).
Some of the other random eink optimized apps floating around the Apps section here.
SetCPU: Allows for changing the governor and you can underclock if you wish. I have to 600 MHz, and it's fine for reading. I setup the scale up preference to 80, and the Powersaving Bias to 300. Feel free to look up and mess around with these...it's pretty safe.
Coolreader: Has some nice eink optimized settings (can change how the page is partially refreshed/how often/etc. You can also set it as the main reader app in the NookSimple Tools apps, so when you click the book in the top left if opens Coolreader. The standard BN library and reader aren't bad, though (except for PDFs that are not meant for reflow, like tech. documents).

marspeople

Jul 7, 2011
Hi,

Here is a NST optimized (and slightly customized) version I did for Simon Tatham's Puzzles Collection (including source).

github.com/marspeople/sgtpuzzles/downloads

ace7196, could you post the "page up/down" patch for Sparse RSS? Also, I've noticed a interface bug (also present in NewsRob) when you go back to the article list, it loses which list position it was previously, that is pretty annoying.

Reactions: sun4384 and herofmm
A

ace7196

Here's the latest release dev build of Sparse RSS.

I know the left side buttons for page up/down are mapped, not sure if he mapped the right side equivalent as well.

Also, I've noticed on a few rss readers (as mentioned above) that once you touch the screen and make is scroll, the titles of the articles change, but not that content. I only plan on using the hard keys, so now that I have an RSS reader that works with that... ;)

Attachments

• SparseRSS_1.3.1_dev6.apk
    146.1 KB · Views: 207

Tired_

Nov 30, 2011
What is the checkbox under Feed URL when you're adding a feed? Other than that, seems to work great!

Jan 4, 2012
Sparse RSS is really great though the right buttons are not mapped.

Also, is there a way to remove the "Goto link" bar at the bottom of each page?
It blocks the last line of text on every page. It is also kind of distracting and I will never need to go to the full page or use the onscreen touch buttons since the buttons are mapped :)

Last edited:
A

ace7196

Got email from the author that right button support will be added, and will be published this week (will let you know when).

keerthionedge

Oct 1, 2012
Chennai
Launcher

too add...
I'm finding Relaunch as optimized launcher.

I'm happy with it, give it a spin.
(well you might need to spend some time in enabling adb to install non market apps)

I've attached the screens (not screenshots taken in nook, but a pic by phone)
the home, app list and the settings

Attachments

• IMG_20130623_195604.jpg
    IMG_20130623_195604.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,576
  • IMG_20130623_195622.jpg
    IMG_20130623_195622.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,478
  • IMG_20130623_195643.jpg
    IMG_20130623_195643.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,396
Last edited:
Reactions: moya036

SweaterFish

Feb 27, 2016
Here is a NST optimized (and slightly customized) version I did for Simon Tatham's Puzzles Collection (including source).

Anyone happen to have an APK kicking around for this eink optimized version of Simon Tatham's Puzzle Collection that MarsPeople made so long ago? I've been using the regular version for years and just ignoring about half the puzzles since they require color. It would be great to have an eink version.

I contacted the author, but he doesn't have an APK anymore. He did point me to his other GitHub, which is still up and has his modified forkof the source, but no APK. I don't have any environment for building Android apps and I don't relish trying to set one up for Eclaire.

https://github.com/marcelogp/sgtpuzzles

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

ace7196, could you post the "page up/down" patch for Sparse RSS? Also, I've noticed a interface bug (also present in NewsRob) when you go back to the article list, it loses which list position it was previously, that is pretty annoying.
    Launcher

too add...
    I'm finding Relaunch as optimized launcher.

I'm happy with it, give it a spin.
    (well you might need to spend some time in enabling adb to install non market apps)

I've attached the screens (not screenshots taken in nook, but a pic by phone)
    the home, app list and the settings