Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

Soul_Est

Dec 17, 2007
Works great on my Telus branded Touch! I'll see what I can do about getting some more applications running on it.

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
Once we get this thing past "Alpha" lol... I will for sure change to this linux OS. I hate how bloated WM is on this phone. And even though it is so basic, Android is running VERY fast on the phone "running out of ram" but this is a great leap to the next version of OS.

As long as I can get EVDOrA and make calls... I will be good to go

Mr. Vi

Sep 23, 2006
Berlin
Omap zImage, going to test it now...
http://osdir.com/ml/ports.arm.omap/2006-07/msg00050.html

Edit: this did change something, still no boot tho.

Checking this now:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=1335617&postcount=64
I've got almost a boot using one of the zImages that come with LinWizard... Changed the MTYPE to 6666, which was on the config file of LinWizard.

lol

I just tried the zImage file and was on a black screen now. On the top of the screen there were some white dots. Then my device was shut down...

Waiting for news again :)

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
Ok, I've got a boot, sort of...

I've changed on the default.txt file
set RAMSIZE 0x01800000
set MTYPE 6666
set KERNEL zImage_wizard
#set initrd initrd.gz
set initrd initrd-android
set cmdline "rw quiet"
boot

And I've got this far... Somewhere along the lines, it says that it doesn't support Omap architecture... is this a Haret problem?

Attachments

• DSC00420.JPG
    DSC00420.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 506

cr2

Jan 15, 2005
And I've got this far... Somewhere along the lines, it says that it doesn't support Omap architecture... is this a Haret problem?
No. your problem is that the SD driver does not work as expected, so you can't mount the SD card.
Isn't this android stuff running of the ramdisk ?

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
No. your problem is that the SD driver does not work as expected, so you can't mount the SD card.
Isn't this android stuff running of the ramdisk ?
I've created a folder "Android" on my SD Card and running from there. So I need to copy this to the root of the phone?

Edit: I've copied it to the root of the phone, still, doesn't boot, same message.

Last edited:

dexxa05

May 5, 2007
Metz
I have a different message on my Prophet :)

My last message are (6) Checking if image is in initramfs...

and

Now i have a black screen :)

Last edited:

nxtlidenno

Jul 4, 2007
Just make sure after downloading the files you remove the file extension .txt from the other two files.

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
HI,

I'm really interested in giving this a try on my phone... I dont know if I'm just completly ignorant or what but I have no idea where to copy the times to. I made a folder called Android on my SD card and copied all the files over then copied then to my phone in the my documents folder first... same folder name Android... that didnt work.. then I tried putting it right in the main device directory.. again nothing. All that comes up when I open the Harnet program is a screen that saus "Launch a script file. Default file is the same where executable file lives". then a window below that says default.txt with a button "run" next to it.

When I click run an error window pops up saying "Failed to load file \MyDocuments\Android\zImage

I tried recopying the file again from the website but I just keep getting the same error.

I am trying to run this on a CDMA HTC Touch from Telus (Canada)

Can anyone give me some pointers?

EDIT: I think I may have just found my FIX in a few posts up.. Sorry

Last edited:

dferreira

Jan 26, 2007
Oulu
www.denzilferreira.com
From what I've read from previous posts, you need to put the files on the device, not SD Card. Need to have at least 25MB of free program memory... this is going to be hard on Wizard... damn...

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
Hi.. Yeah they were moved to my device I just didnt realize I had to take the .txt off of the end of 3 of the files.

Up and working now, that said... how do you exit out of this? I figured out the volumn button controls most of the controls on the screen but how to do you exit the full program and go back to HTC Home without doing a soft reset?

Also.. the mapping software.... Is google maps supposed to load up? When I click it a blank screen pops up where a map SHOULD be. I have google maps installed on my phone so I take it that has nothing to do with it.

Further more... how will typing work in Android since the touch has no actual keyboard? First things first obviously is to get the radio working so we can connect to our networks... I only noticed no keyboard when I opened google and couldnt type anything in the text field... not that I could do a search anyway :p

This looks like its going to be a great OS though
Thanks!

Last edited:

nxtlidenno

Jul 4, 2007
So about getting the radio up and onscreen keyboard cause thats all i need for some real fun to start. this is wicked! It makes me not want to go back to my microshaft OS. Cant wait for the next bubild I'm hungry for more.

swatspyder

Dec 27, 2007
So about getting the radio up and onscreen keyboard cause thats all i need for some real fun to start. this is wicked! It makes me not want to go back to my microshaft OS. Cant wait for the next bubild I'm hungry for more.

The first "beta" will probably not be for a while. There are problems with coding the radio and the phone's software because it is not open source. Hopefully something will come out of it within atleast the summer time.

The preview here has a lot of "crap" included with it because it is almost a "pre-alpha" version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..