OnLive Universal Controller fix! Compatible with any X360 game, GTA3, Shadowgun, etc.

Search This thread

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Alright, I've posted this otherwhere on this forum, but now that I've finished it in a manner that's significantly safer to use, I want to make it into it's own thread so that it is easier for people to find it and for SEO reasons.

This method will allow you to play games like GTA 3, Shadowgun, et certa on your tablet with the controller. This works by default on some tablets, but for the two I've tested (Xoom and Eee Pad Transformer) it has issues. Specifically, the right analog stick doesn't work and you are stuck turning left (SEO: running in circles, triggers don't work, can't aim). This method requires a rooted tablet. Rooting most tablets is simple and safe, I strongly suggest doing it, it offers enormous benefits.

You need to open Terminal Emulator (download one from market if you don't have it). Then enter the following commands. Hit enter after every line and ensure that it completes with no errors.

su
cd /system/usr/keylayout/
mount -o remount,rw /system
cp Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl Vendor_2378_Product_100a.kl
exit
exit

Reboot your tablet, and the OnLive controller should now work be fully compatible with any game that uses an Xbox 360 controller! If the file "Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl" isn't on your tablet, let me know and I will upload it for you.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

Last edited:

Rob S.

Dec 22, 2011
techmantis.net
Thanks for the info Gary, going to try it out.

Off topic, Gary from dashhacks?

I was an admin over there for a few years, up until greg sold the site to Caputo Media.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
If you could post up the Vendor_045 that would be awesome it says no such directory found. Thanks!!!

https://gist.github.com/a7a52e892d5d8519b10c

Click "raw" and save the file. Transfer it over to the device and copy it to the directory (/system/usr/keylayout/). This version includes a few patches of mine to allow the media keys on the controller to work (the play, next, and previous buttons are mapped to whatever app wants to use them, allows for you to control music with them, etc).

What tablet do you have? I'm kinda shocked any tablet is missing the file
Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl, as it is necessary for the xbox 360 controller to function properly! You are the second person today to tell me that it doesn't exist for them.

I was an admin over there for a few years, up until greg sold the site to Caputo Media.

The one and only :). You weren't around before I left, were you? I only remember one other admin besides Greg. Sad to hear he sold the site! Can't exactly blame him, the PSP scene was basically dead and none of the other sites (360, ps3, etc) really peaked anywhere near what psp-hacks did.

Rob S.

Dec 22, 2011
techmantis.net
The one and only :). You weren't around before I left, were you? I only remember one other admin besides Greg. Sad to hear he sold the site! Can't exactly blame him, the PSP scene was basically dead and none of the other sites (360, ps3, etc) really peaked anywhere near what psp-hacks did.

I joined the site in Jan 06. If i remember Alias420 and Xy were admins at the time.

I don't blame him for selling the site, but the new owners drove a lot of members away.

They simply dropped the ban hammer on anyone who voiced their opinions about the changes they were making in the forums.

i9apps

Sep 1, 2011
Does it fix the GTA3 bug with the Xbox 360 controller? (running in circles)
Because its didn't work for me , is there another way to do it?
maybe to edit the file with root explorer?
Thank you

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Does it fix the GTA3 bug with the Xbox 360 controller? (running in circles)
Because its didn't work for me , is there another way to do it?
maybe to edit the file with root explorer?
Thank you

Post the logcat of when you connect the controller to your tablet. It should be easy to fix you just need to find the vendor and product ids to make the right keylayout file.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

musada

Dec 6, 2007
Alright, I've posted this otherwhere on this forum, but now that I've finished it in a manner that's significantly safer to use, I want to make it into it's own thread so that it is easier for people to find it and for SEO reasons.

This method will allow you to play games like GTA 3, Shadowgun, et certa on your tablet with the controller. This works by default on some tablets, but for the two I've tested (Xoom and Eee Pad Transformer) it has issues. Specifically, the right analog stick doesn't work and you are stuck turning left (SEO: running in circles, triggers don't work, can't aim). This method requires a rooted tablet. Rooting most tablets is simple and safe, I strongly suggest doing it, it offers enormous benefits.

You need to open Terminal Emulator (download one from market if you don't have it). Then enter the following commands. Hit enter after every line and ensure that it completes with no errors.

su
exit
exit

Reboot your tablet, and the OnLive controller should now work be fully compatible with any game that uses an Xbox 360 controller! If the file "Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl" isn't on your tablet, let me know and I will upload it for you.

whenever i type in "cd/system/usr/keylayout" it says not found
but when go through root explorer i see the folder....what do i need to do

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
:sigh: there is a space between cd and the rest of the command. It's "cd /system/usr/keylayout" not "cd/system/usr/keylayout".

musada

Dec 6, 2007
:sigh: there is a space between cd and the rest of the command. It's "cd /system/usr/keylayout" not "cd/system/usr/keylayout".

Oh....my bad..thanx
It didnt work for me :(. Still walks in circles after i press the left trigger. and the right analog stick only goes up and down
I'm trying to use a wired xbox 360 controller. That shouldnt matter right

Last edited:

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Yes, it does matter, it matters a ton. You need to figure out the vendor and product ID's of the wireless dongle. Run logcat (either in a terminal as root, or download aLogcat from the market) immediately after plugging the dongle into your tablet. Copy and paste the results to pastebin.com then post the link here and I'll tell you how to fix it. It should be dead simple, all you have to do is rename one file based on the info you give me.

musada

Dec 6, 2007
Yes, it does matter, it matters a ton. You need to figure out the vendor and product ID's of the wireless dongle. Run logcat (either in a terminal as root, or download aLogcat from the market) immediately after plugging the dongle into your tablet. Copy and paste the results to pastebin.com then post the link here and I'll tell you how to fix it. It should be dead simple, all you have to do is rename one file based on the info you give me.

oh, ok, but im trying to use a wired xbox 360 controller, but here is the link, hope i did this right
http://pastebin.com/QRzt6T0X

Last edited:

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Ah my bad I read wireless. You did the logcat perfectly but I'm afraid the info isn't in there (could have sworn it was). You still need to do it 'cause your controller isn't an official MS one (right?), it's a cheap generic one so the product/vendor IDs are different. Plug the controller in, open up a terminal, and type "dmesg" without the quotes then hit enter. You want to look for a line that looks like one of these:

[ 1425.766990] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=3803
[ 1426.077965] usb 1-1.1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=685e

These are the vendor and product IDs of the device and are the codes you need to use to get your controller working. The codes are different for every type of device, so you need to check yours yourself, then apply them to the command.

Let's say for example your controller is the first one, vendor id 0424, product id 3803. you'd want to do:

cp Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl Vendor_0424_Product_3803.kl

for the second, you'd want to do

cp Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl Vendor_04e8_Product_685e.kl

dmesg should only output one recent item containing the product and vendor IDs (mine contains two because I plugged in my phone, which presents two devices to the TF, my phone internal memory and the SD card), so just edit the command to match those IDs and it should work. Make sense?

musada

Dec 6, 2007
Ah my bad I read wireless. You did the logcat perfectly but I'm afraid the info isn't in there (could have sworn it was). You still need to do it 'cause your controller isn't an official MS one (right?), it's a cheap generic one so the product/vendor IDs are different. Plug the controller in, open up a terminal, and type "dmesg" without the quotes then hit enter. You want to look for a line that looks like one of these:

[ 1425.766990] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=3803
[ 1426.077965] usb 1-1.1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=685e

These are the vendor and product IDs of the device and are the codes you need to use to get your controller working. The codes are different for every type of device, so you need to check yours yourself, then apply them to the command.

Let's say for example your controller is the first one, vendor id 0424, product id 3803. you'd want to do:

cp Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl Vendor_0424_Product_3803.kl

for the second, you'd want to do

cp Vendor_045e_Product_028e.kl Vendor_04e8_Product_685e.kl

dmesg should only output one recent item containing the product and vendor IDs (mine contains two because I plugged in my phone, which presents two devices to the TF, my phone internal memory and the SD card), so just edit the command to match those IDs and it should work. Make sense?

yes. it akes perfect sense, unfortunately non of the lines start with those digits, they all start with 6XXXXX. Does a wireless ps3 controller have the same issues?

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
The digits at the start of the line do not matter... Those are just time (in seconds) since the tablet was turned on. What's important is the rest of the line...

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Awesome work, Gary.

Games work perfect.

Sent from my Tansformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Good to hear it work for you. How are you liking the controller? I still long for a better dpad.

thanx a lot man, it works perfectly now...how'd you learn this anyways

No problem. I figured it out by reading the logcat after connecting my controller and seeing it was being applied the "generic" layout instead of 360. Entered the directory, figured out the file layout and fixed it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Rob S.

Dec 22, 2011
techmantis.net
Good to hear it work for you. How are you liking the controller? I still long for a better dpad.

Love the controller.

My only gripe is that the d-pad is a bit stiff, and i prefer a full cross or a disc pad over separate buttons.

Makes it difficult to play SF IV.

I see a member over @onlivefans did a decent mod of the controller.

http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php?7352-I-Redesigned-The-OnLive-Controller

The d-pad cutout is a bit rough. He should have used a fine tooth hole saw instead of a dremel or sanded it down a bit.

Looks like those sharp edges will shred your thumb.

Sent from my Tansformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Gary13579

Retired Moderator
Nov 14, 2008
Yup, diagonals are almost impossible with the current dpad. Really disappointed with that. At least they fixed the battery falling out, lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

su
    exit
    exit

Transformer Infinity TF700?

Does this work for the Transformer Infinity?

I'm trying to get it to work and right now I'm stuck just trying with Shadowgun - the controller "works" but nothing is mapped correctly and I can't map from inside the game.