[Q&A] Ubuntu on the Transformer (eMMC install)

Search This thread

bebida_b

Feb 16, 2011
help with sound

i install ubuntu in my tf101 b60ka 16gb but a dont have any sound i have a lot of error when the ubuntu loads any one had any problem like this!!!!!!

canedha

Jun 6, 2011
noob needs clarification

hi all,

i'm thinking of installing ubuntu on my tf in dualboot.
i've read a lot of different threads and seen multiple tutorials but some things are still unclear for me.

1. when using dualboot, will i get an boot prompt every time i start, where i can choose to boot android or ubuntu?
2. if 1. was correct: as far as i understood the dualboot option, after choosing android or ubuntu in the boot prompt the correct image has to be installed every start to use it?
3. if yes, how long does this take then e.g. when using android and then wanting to use ubuntu, to switch the os?
4. will all my data be wiped when installing ubuntu in dualboot for the first time? (as far as i know, yes, but would be nice to hear it from a more experienced user)
5. will be all data lost for each change of os? for example can i browse and play on android, then start ubuntu work a bit and then switch back to android and continue playing and browsing, or would all my data (savegames, apps etc) lost?
6. when installing ubuntu, is it possible to backup my actual system to use it as my android rom? or should i go with a new rom like prime and install all apps etc again?

thx for your help in advance,
toby

ps: if someone is offended by these questions since they have already been discussed, plz provide me the page or post nr and i will read it myself (not too lazy for that :) ) but finding specific answers in a thread of 140+ pages is very hard.

Last edited:

bud77

Jun 29, 2011
Near Paris
All of your questions are answered in that thread ... most in the first page

1) NO
2) NO
3) NO
4) Not sure with the olife prime pack
5) YES it's a complete reboot between each
6) NO, partitions differs

canedha

Jun 6, 2011
All of your questions are answered in that thread ... most in the first page

1) NO
2) NO
3) NO
4) Not sure with the olife prime pack
5) YES it's a complete reboot between each
6) NO, partitions differs

thats exactly what i was waiting for ^^ the things are not totally clear to me as they have been written in the first couple of pages and when crossreading the whole thread and others ;) this is why i asked...
and see your answers are exactly the type of stuff that gives more questions than answers.

1-3: ok i was wrong about dualboot, but how is it then working?
is it then booting a primary os until i get into a boot mode with a key kombination and switch the os?
4: since the partitions are splitted i assume the data is lost.. thx here, i haven't thought about that.
5: i'm aware of that there is a complete reboot between the os changes and that non saved data like some open text notes, a paused game etc are lost. but what about the saved files? this is why i asked about savegames and apps -> stored data. what happens to them, because somewhere it was written in a way that for every os switch the os image would be written on the disk again therefore overwriting all stored files... sounded stupid to me but i havent done it yet, thats why i asked.
6:thx

again, i'm searching for HELP. i'm not to lazy to read things or try stuff, i just want to clarify things that i READ but didn't totally understand before getting started.
i dont want to end up with a bricked tab...

but thx anyway

Last edited:

RomainB60

May 8, 2010
It works with a combination of buttons at power on.
Data that was saved is still saved after a boot under an OS or the other.

Reactions: canedha

conizius

Oct 27, 2010
Was anyone successful in installing eclipse within the latest ubuntu version? I tried via apt-get but that ends up in a lot of dependency failures. Or does anybody know about an eclipse arm port which will run on the transformer under ubuntu?

Well yes I got it to work.
The repository of oniric has problems with unsolvable dependencies due to some packages which have been upgraded to 3.7 and others are stuck at 3.5.
Therefore I used the packages from natty to get it to work (yes work all your way through launchpad to fulfill the dependencies ;) or send me a pm and I might upload all packages somewhere).

But still it's not yet fun... first of all you have really limited ram and therefore you have to trim down the heap and you will not be able to browse with firefox while having eclipse running :(
And what really bugs me is that there is no sun-java and p2 (installing plugings) has trubbles with openjdk as it seams. Every time I install anything it gives me "Unpack facility not configured" and stops.

So maybe someone will find a way to get around this.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
1. when using dualboot, will i get an boot prompt every time i start, where i can choose to boot android or ubuntu?
2. if 1. was correct: as far as i understood the dualboot option, after choosing android or ubuntu in the boot prompt the correct image has to be installed every start to use it?
3. if yes, how long does this take then e.g. when using android and then wanting to use ubuntu, to switch the os?
4. will all my data be wiped when installing ubuntu in dualboot for the first time? (as far as i know, yes, but would be nice to hear it from a more experienced user)
5. will be all data lost for each change of os? for example can i browse and play on android, then start ubuntu work a bit and then switch back to android and continue playing and browsing, or would all my data (savegames, apps etc) lost?
6. when installing ubuntu, is it possible to backup my actual system to use it as my android rom? or should i go with a new rom like prime and install all apps etc again?

1-3 are no, as has been said by a few people.
4. Yes, this is an unavoidable aspect of reflashing the entire emmc, there are a few steps that can reduce this, but it is not straight forward at this point.
5. No, the initial installation is the only time that everything needs to be moved around, /data has 6GB shaved off it to give the ubuntu image a permanent home.
6. It is possible to restore your stock image, boot.img recovery.img and system.img in backups can be (after removing the date code from the backup) moved into ./images/ this will not restore your user installed apps though. I do have something that I am putting together to make this step a little easier.

rdnetto

Jul 3, 2011
And what really bugs me is that there is no sun-java and p2 (installing plugings) has trubbles with openjdk as it seams. Every time I install anything it gives me "Unpack facility not configured" and stops.

sun-java was dropped from oneiric altogether due to licensing issues, so openjdk is the norm under x86 as well now. If this issue occurs under x86 I presume they'd fix it in a bit, if not you might want to report it upstream. You could try using the package from the natty repos, though I don't know how well that would work.

rdnetto

Jul 3, 2011
Apparently Asus is going to release an unlocked bootloader for the TF Prime in February. This should be good news for anyone with a Prime who can't run Ubuntu.

(source)

canedha

Jun 6, 2011
hi,

first thanx for this awesome program. it works like a charm.

but i have some problems switching between the OSs. when i boot prime and press long the power button i have only the options restart, recovery and cancel.
for restart it is booting android again and when i press recovery it seems that it recovers the second partition and therefore writing ubuntu into the first bootloader section as well?

so how to switch OSs? is there a way to just shut down prime (just long press power doesnt work) so that i can power+vol_down into recovery mode booting ubuntu?
or what do i have to press when for example if it also works when using the restarting option?

i'm sure that just some stupid thing but i cant figure it out by myself ^^

i also found on the prime 1.7 thread a zip including the missing shutdown option but how to install this without cwm that not there because of ubuntu?

thx in advance for all help!

rdnetto

Jul 3, 2011
hi,

first thanx for this awesome program. it works like a charm.

but i have some problems switching between the OSs. when i boot prime and press long the power button i have only the options restart, recovery and cancel.
for restart it is booting android again and when i press recovery it seems that it recovers the second partition and therefore writing ubuntu into the first bootloader section as well?

so how to switch OSs? is there a way to just shut down prime (just long press power doesnt work) so that i can power+vol_down into recovery mode booting ubuntu?
or what do i have to press when for example if it also works when using the restarting option?

i'm sure that just some stupid thing but i cant figure it out by myself ^^

i also found on the prime 1.7 thread a zip including the missing shutdown option but how to install this without cwm that not there because of ubuntu?

thx in advance for all help!

OLife has an option to restore CWM (it's under Advanced) which you can use to install the patch for the shutdown option.

canedha

Jun 6, 2011
hi there,

another question of a linux noob. ^^
i'm running ubuntu 11.10 in dualboot mode with android.

i found out that dropbox is not working under an arm based ubuntu but i would need to have access to the files in my dropboxfolder under ubuntu...
therefore i thought about syncing my files in android and then accessing them in ubuntu.

how do i get access to the data stored in the android partition when running ubuntu?
i think i have to mount the partition, but which one?
can anyone tell me the command line for that?

thx canedha

rdnetto

Jul 3, 2011
hi there,

i found out that dropbox is not working under an arm based ubuntu but i would need to have access to the files in my dropboxfolder under ubuntu...
therefore i thought about syncing my files in android and then accessing them in ubuntu.

how do i get access to the data stored in the android partition when running ubuntu?

thx canedha

If 'apt-get nautilus-dropbox' doesn't work for you, you could try compiling the source (available on the Dropbox website). Alternatively, you can mount it like planned (see below).

I believe the partition is /dev/mmcblk0p7 (check the wiki). The command to mount it is 'sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p7 /media/Android_Data' (presuming you've created a folder at the mount point). Alternatively, you can add the entry to /etc/fstab to have it mounted at boot.

I would like to point out that if you are using Unity, then you can just click on the corresponding media card icon on the Unity bar and it will automatically mount it.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
@ lilstevie

Is this video using one of your ROMs ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkCScxGUm8

Just wondering how back in July this looks like a moderately working Ubuntu on TF101 but looking at the Wiki and reading your thread it sounds like your current version is still very much not for mainstream, am I missing something ?

Cheers :)

rdnetto

Jul 3, 2011
@ lilstevie

Is this video using one of your ROMs ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkCScxGUm8

Just wondering how back in July this looks like a moderately working Ubuntu on TF101 but looking at the Wiki and reading your thread it sounds like your current version is still very much not for mainstream, am I missing something ?

Cheers :)

That was Jhinta's ROM, which was the predecessor of the current ROM by lilstevie. Everything shown working in the video works (plus what's listed in the wiki), and it will be faster (in the video he's running it from the microSD, which is much slower than the emmc).

If you consider the July version to be 'moderately working', you'll have no problems with the current version. The release is not for mainstream use because some stuff (hw accel) doesn't work and some things (putting it into suspend [disable this or you won't be able to close the screen]) cause it to crash, and there's not yet a decent GUI to install it with. That said, most people who are comfortable with Linux shouldn't have too much trouble using it.

*Detection*

Dec 5, 2011
Durham
That was Jhinta's ROM, which was the predecessor of the current ROM by lilstevie. Everything shown working in the video works (plus what's listed in the wiki), and it will be faster (in the video he's running it from the microSD, which is much slower than the emmc).

If you consider the July version to be 'moderately working', you'll have no problems with the current version. The release is not for mainstream use because some stuff (hw accel) doesn't work and some things (putting it into suspend [disable this or you won't be able to close the screen]) cause it to crash, and there's not yet a decent GUI to install it with. That said, most people who are comfortable with Linux shouldn't have too much trouble using it.

Thanks for that, yea I was wanting to give this current version a run, but was under the impression it was at a less working stage than this video - until I found this video and wondered how that was even possible.

H/W Accel is important but can live without it for testing purposes, and the dualboot option is great too

Thanks for the reply, its given me a good insight into where we are at with this release :)

Reactions: rdnetto

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
hi there,

thx canedha

What I do is access my dropbox files from the web ui. Not a solution to getting the linux app itself working, but a decent work around.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

canedha

Jun 6, 2011
What I do is access my dropbox files from the web ui. Not a solution to getting the linux app itself working, but a decent work around.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

i'm syncing my files in android now (with drop sync) and then access them in ubuntu.
thx for all your help! :)

but i have another question just 4 my understanding.
the bootloader has two "partitions" the primary and recovery. right now the recovery in my case is used by ubuntu. so if i want to use cwm i have to use the olife script, which is able to temporarily switch the recovery part of the bootloader to cwm and then back?
when i decide to go with another rom e.g. revolver, if i want to test the ics (later this year ;) ) or if i want to update android or ubuntu, then i just have to flash these roms with nvflash to the primary partition? or will there be a problem because of the second partition? e.g. woudl i have to reflash ubuntu as well when updating android?

thx in advance,
canedha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for help and support related to ubuntu on the eeepad transformer, all questions not related to development should be asked here, please be friendly and do not flame each other or I will request the thread be closed.

Download links are in the third post.

There is a wiki entry here that has a bit more detailed explanation. Please note though that as it is a wiki information
    quoted in there may or may not be entirely accurite.

you will need to download an nvflashable rom, like prime.

Please read the README before attempting this. The readme is below as well as in the kit, YOU WILL LOSE DATA.

Download links are in the second post.

OLiFE for the ASUS transformer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

(c) 2011 Steven Barker <lilstevie@lilstevie.geek.nz>

This package should have only been linked to from xda-developers
    or rootzwiki if you got the links to this package from anywhere
    but those sites please send an email to the above email
    address with the subject: "unauthorised posts"

DISCLAIMER

Steven Barker (lilstevie) nor anybody will take any responsibility
    for any damage, data loss, fire, death of a loved one, or loss of
    data resulting from using this mod for your device. Using this mod
    may void your warranty.

NVFLASH

nvflash is the intellectual property of nvidia, and remains the
    property of nvidia. Any questions or queries regarding the usage
    and licence of nvflash should be directed to nvidia.

abootimg

abootimg is by Gilles Grandou <gilles@grandou.net> and is
    unmodified. The source is available from online at
    http://gitorious.org/ac100/abootimg

usage

Usage has changed since the release of the last kit, please read
    these instructions carefully, as the install method is a little
    more complex, (but easier once you use it).

If you downloaded OLiFE.tar.gz you will need to inject the android
    rom and ubuntu image. You can use any nvflashable rom with this.
    I recommend that you use prime as that is the configuration that
    I have tested myself, and the ROM that I support for use with this
    device. You can download the ubuntu image from
    http://lilstevie.geek.nz/ports/ubuntu.img.gz.

If you downloaded OLiFE-Prime-Edition.tar.gz you will not need to
    download the ubuntu image or an nvflash rom as they are seeded into
    the image.

Install instructions:

1) Download the specific flavour of OLiFE that you want to use, and
    extract it with "tar xvf <filename>".

2) If needed inject android rom and ubuntu image.

3) From the directory that OLiFE was extracted in run the main script
    with the command ./OLiFE.sh.

4) Read the text that comes up and answer the question it asks.

5) Follow the menu to the option you want (below is a breakdown of
    what each menu item is) and follow the instructions prompted. (also below
    is instructions on how to get into the modes requested).

Menu items:

1) Backup Menu:

1) Full Backup (stock)
    - Full backup (stock) takes a full backup of a stock
    android system. This gives you an option to also back
    up your user data(this will take a while).
    2) Full Backup (ubuntu)
    - Full backup (ubuntu) takes a full backup of a system
    that dualboots android and ubuntu, this backs up your
    system, and the ubuntu image. This gives you an option
    to also back up your user data(this will take a while).
    3) User data only
    - This backs up the user data partition on your device.
    (This option takes a while)
    4) Android ROM
    - This option backs up the android system only. This
    option generates all the files (minus bootloader, and BCT)
    required to flash a rom via nvflash.
    5) Ubuntu Install
    - This option backs up the ubuntu install on your device.
    2) Flash Device:

1) Dualboot:
    - This option will install ubuntu to your device in a
    dualbooting configuration with android. During the
    installation process it asks you which OS you would like
    to boot by default.
    2) uboot (linux only):
    - This option will install ubuntu with u-boot and the
    ChromeOS kernel that supports acceleration. This option
    is currently unavailable, but should be available soon.
    3) asus boot (linux only):
    - This option will install ubuntu with the asus bootloader
    with this configuration you will use all the eMMC for ubuntu
    and there will be no android system installed on your device.
    4) stock:
    - This option will partition the device in a stock way and
    install the android system that is in ./images. Use this
    option if you no longer want ubuntu on your device.
    3) Update Device:

1) Android Kernel:
    - This option will update the android kernel on your device
    with the boot.img from ./images/. This allows you to install
    your own kernel on the device for android rather than the one
    that comes with your chosen rom.
    2) Ubuntu/Linux Kernel:
    - This will update the ubuntu kernel on your device to the version
    included in this flashkit. This option is for updating just the
    kernel with nvflash rather than using the blob method. This method
    is also good for if you flash a bad ubuntu kernel to the device.
    3) Android ROM:
    - This option will update the android rom on the device with the
    one from ./images/. This is good for if the ROM you use is updated
    or you would like to change ROMs and there is an nvflash image for it.
    This option does not destroy your data.
    4) Ubuntu Rootfs:
    - This will update your ubuntu image on the device. This is destructive
    to data stored in the ubuntu image.
    5) Advanced (Unsupported):
    - Any option in this menu is not supported and should be considered
    unstable. There may be bugs in these options and they are not maintained
    at this point in time.

1) Flash ChromeOS Kernel (Primary Boot):
    - This option will flash the ChromeOS kernel to the primary boot
    partition. This option may not currently work in it's current
    configuration.
    2) Flash ChromeOS Kernel (Secondary Boot):
    - This option will flash the ChromeOS kernel to the secondary boot
    partition. This option may not currently work in it's current
    configuration.
    3) Update Uboot Partition:
    - This option will update the u-boot boot partition that u-boot
    reads the kernel and boot script from. This option does work if
    you have installed u-boot by compiling it from source and installed
    it yourself.
    4) Flash ClockworkRecoveryMod:
    - This option allows you to temperarily flash CWR to the device so
    you can update the installed rom. It backs up the current kernel in
    the recovery kernel position and then flashes CWR. When you have finished
    using CWR you then push any key and put the device back in APX mode and
    it will restore the kernel that was in that position. (This only works if
    android is your primary boot option at this time).

4) Inject Firmware:

1) Bluetooth firmware (default install):
    - This option will inject the Bluetooth firmware from the
    android ROM located at ./images/ in to the ubuntu of your
    currently running system.
    2) Bluetooth firmware (CrOS Kernel):
    - This option will inject the Bluetooth firmware from the
    android ROM located at ./images/ in to the ubuntu of your
    currently running system and flashes the proper u-boot kernel
    if you no longer need adb support.

5) Onscreen Keyboard:
    - This runs OnBoard so that you can run through oem-config properly
    you only need to use this option if you do not have a keyboard dock
    and on the first boot.

1) Standard Kernel:
    - This will invoke oem-config on the standard kernel installed
    on the device.
    2) ChromeOS Kernel:
    - This will invoke oem-config on the u-boot kernel that is
    installed on the device and flashes the proper u-boot kernel
    if you no longer need adb support.

Device Modes:

APX Mode:
    -This mode is used by nvflash to write files to the eMMC device.
    To boot in this mode you press Power and Vol-Up.

Recovery Mode:
    - This mode is where CWR or Asus recovery normally lives, but is
    replaced by the secondary OS in the dualboot configuration.
    To boot in this mode you press Power and Vol-Down, then Vol-Up when prompted.

Normal Boot:
    -This mode is where android normally lives.
    To boot in this mode you press the Power button until the screen turns on.
    Changelog

1.2a - Release name: Odyssey

* New name for kit: OLiFE
    * New menu system
    * Updated README
    * Better handling of platform detection
    * Bluetooth support in ubuntu.img
    * Preliminary support for ChromeOS kernel
    * Preliminary support for uboot
    * Fixed touchpad
    * Fixed network manager
    * Updated to ubuntu oneiric
    * More options for flashing and updating
    * OTB Wireless support (No more injecting)
    * Smaller ubuntu.img for faster upload to device
    * Auto resizing of rootfs on first boot
    * Larger partition size (6GB) for ubuntu
    * Refactored to more easily between devices
    * Maybe something else I have missed

1.1 - Release name: Daedalus

* Firmware injector for BT and wifi firmwares

1.0 and silent updates - Release name: Prometheus

* Support for x86_64 linux distributions
    * Updated README for release on xda-developers
    * Fixes to install scripts
    * Initial Release
    Multiboot by cmw.zips

This will restore cwm on recovery partition.
    And multiboot by flashing Ubuntu.zip or Android.zip

Create flash-recovery.sh in flashkit dir !!

The code below wil not work unless you provide some info on witch flash mode you used !!!!!
    Like me i have selected flash-linux-android.sh,
    View it and find witch --config file it use as you can see below.

--->--configfile ./flash/android-linux.cfg <---

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    nflash --bct ./images/transformer.bct --setbct --configfile ./flash/android-linux.cfg --bl ./images/bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA 0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync
    nflash -r --download 5 ./images/recovery.img

To Make this code above work replaced nflash with ./nvflash -> then sudo sh flash-recovery.sh

Android <-- Prime 1.7 kernel !! you can select any kernel you want !!
    MD5 : 97cf64f6d5698276bde1d8657ec80cef

Ubuntu
    MD5 : 40c9f82c30e0fd8230c712e23f2e3597
    Downloads:

RootFS md5sum(1a9fa8a698e4a96245a3c08511841eb4)
    OLiFE md5sum(c30263fd8271a23bb211fd9fdd69fa45)
    OLiFE Prime Edition md5sum(767779ccfa200e5e00b2f1e33a3d73a9)

Sources:
    http://gitweb.lilstevie.geek.nz
    To clone the repos "git clone git://lilstevie.geek.nz/$(name of repo).git"
    Simple Version

Here's a simple nvflash package I put together to make things easy. It uses Jhinta's CWM files (incl.) and Prime 1.7. Just add ubuntu.img (from the OP) and run download-ubuntu.sh. (You'll still need to run the firmware injection script for drivers though.)

http://www.multiupload.com/6GZSLRBP8S

MD5: 843f964141ac96423c2fcdfc26092050