FORUMS

Windows Mobile application for Geocaching.

565 posts
Thanks Meter: 131

By Gech, Senior Member on 13th February 2009, 01:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th December 2011, 01:12 AM |#5731  
Flag Riverside,
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is there anything wrong with GateCacher. I picked it up a while ago when all the problems just never went away in here. I don't hear of any talk about it but in what little use I have tried, it seems to be fully funtional. Is there something I'm missing.
9th January 2012, 04:45 PM |#5732  
Flag Mannheim

More
Is there something new for GCzII?
Sometimes I can search for nearby Geocaches but not Downloading these.
Felix
24th January 2012, 07:31 PM |#5733  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
GCzII - GPX update
Hi,

After using GCzII for some time (with pleasure), now it isn't working anymore. Logging in is not possible.

A number of other tools work with Geocaching GPX 1.0.1. I read that the GPX format is still 1.0. Is it possible to have a newer GPX format (also) supported? Switching between GPX versions is not very easy when you're geocaching in the field.

Regardz, J
24th January 2012, 07:51 PM |#5734  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It seems that the Windows Mobile platform, even if it's not really outdated and still perfectly usable thanks to the number of great devices out there, will be becoming less and less useful over the coming months due to developers stepping away from keeping their apps up to date.

After the demise of GCzII, I've been using PocketDrake most of the time with PQs and a PC-based utility GeoGet. Today, the developer of PocketDrake announced that he moved to Android and that he will phase out further development of PocketDrake (he should be doing some minor maintenance over the coming weeks though).

It's logical that the platform is no longer attractive to developers - Android and iOS are much more popular, and Windows Mobile itself has been replaced by Windows Phone. It's a pity for those of us who prefer not to waste money on new phones when the old ones are still working and reliable. Even if I wanted to ugprade, I still haven't found a replacement for my Diamond that I'd like (the small form factor and nice specs) among Android or Windows Phones.

Well, that's all I wanted to say - we just have to get used to less and less apps being updated for Windows Mobile, or move on and upgrade.
24th January 2012, 10:01 PM |#5735  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by immutability

It seems that the Windows Mobile platform, even if it's not really outdated and still perfectly usable thanks to the number of great devices out there, will be becoming less and less useful over the coming months due to developers stepping away from keeping their apps up to date.

After the demise of GCzII, I've been using PocketDrake most of the time with PQs and a PC-based utility GeoGet. Today, the developer of PocketDrake announced that he moved to Android and that he will phase out further development of PocketDrake (he should be doing some minor maintenance over the coming weeks though).

It's logical that the platform is no longer attractive to developers - Android and iOS are much more popular, and Windows Mobile itself has been replaced by Windows Phone. It's a pity for those of us who prefer not to waste money on new phones when the old ones are still working and reliable. Even if I wanted to ugprade, I still haven't found a replacement for my Diamond that I'd like (the small form factor and nice specs) among Android or Windows Phones.

Well, that's all I wanted to say - we just have to get used to less and less apps being updated for Windows Mobile, or move on and upgrade.

This was the very reason that I chose to switch away from my windows mobile device. I loved my WM phone especially GCzII but I must say that the lack of up to date apps or even new development pushed me to change.

I liked GCz II so much that I have continued to monitor this thread to see if anything new popped up. I guess I can now let it go.

Thank you, Tom, for all your work on the app and your willingness to share it with the rest of us. Also, thank you to all the numerous individuals who have helped out along the way. The best to all of you in your future endeavors and happy caching to all.
25th January 2012, 01:49 AM |#5736  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Unhappy REST IN PEACE Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley10

This was the very reason that I chose to switch away from my windows mobile device. I loved my WM phone especially GCzII but I must say that the lack of up to date apps or even new development pushed me to change.

I liked GCz II so much that I have continued to monitor this thread to see if anything new popped up. I guess I can now let it go.

Thank you, Tom, for all your work on the app and your willingness to share it with the rest of us. Also, thank you to all the numerous individuals who have helped out along the way. The best to all of you in your future endeavors and happy caching to all.

Exactly the problem. So many developers and a boatload of new developers have hopped over to the Android boat that Windows Mobile didn't stand much of a chance. In its day, Gczll was the stuff, but with Gech either neglecting this software or having moved on, I think we need to let this software rest in peace.

"Thanks for the hunt", Gczll.
Long time ago - 2012

- 2B
31st January 2012, 05:34 PM |#5737  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Great app, i used to use other app on my android phone, but now is dead and i', back to my old winmo and this app is just great
1st May 2012, 06:35 PM |#5738  

More
GCzII - missing waypoints for multicaches
Hi,

I still use that great app even it doesn't allow to me to work online with GC.com. Simply, I didn't find anything better for WM 6.x.

But seems now I have a problem with multicaches - when I import GPX file (directly downloaded from GC.com, not modified by GSAK etc.) then during the import phase GCzII shows e.g. "1/7 caches" but at the end I cannot see any additional waypoint(s) in cache detail.

I tried to play with GC.com formats of GPX, but no success.

Where is the problem, I'm quite sure that this feature for multis worked earlier ā€¦ other tools like BeeLine shows all "child" wpts for multis.

Thx,
Kecup
2nd May 2012, 10:19 PM |#5739  

More
If your are running a Windows PC, you may have a look at http://geosheep.4fan.cz/en/GCzII-CL-Downloader , see doc I wrote in an "open" Wiki : http://geosheep.wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'm not sure it will help for multi, but it works great for description, images, logs, hint, maps ... and I hope WayPoints .
9th May 2012, 08:36 AM |#5740  

More
Hi, you might also take a look at GCTour http://gctour.madd.in/, I use it to print my caches and send to send it to the GPS.
And it can also save the selected caches as GPX!
9th May 2012, 04:31 PM |#5741  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by namhtc

If your are running a Windows PC, you may have a look at http://geosheep.4fan.cz/en/GCzII-CL-Downloader , see doc I wrote in an "open" Wiki : http://geosheep.wikinet.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'm not sure it will help for multi, but it works great for description, images, logs, hint, maps ... and I hope WayPoints .

Yes, it download waypoints and show it on GCZII (and many more).
I use the downloader in the same Folder like gczii on my sd-card, so the data is up-to date without any copy-work.

greetings
Scottiefilm
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
free apps, gcz, gczii, geocaching, gps

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)