(BOOTLOADER UNLOCK SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN) Operation: Mosh

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By miffy4, Junior Member on 4th January 2012, 07:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th January 2012, 09:50 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
If someone could remind me, what was Verizon's reason for keeping bootloaders locked? Anyone ever hear back from Verizon?

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

9th January 2012, 10:07 PM |#62  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadenH

If someone could remind me, what was Verizon's reason for keeping bootloaders locked? Anyone ever hear back from Verizon?

On the outside, probably security blah blah blah. Internally it probably has something to do with getting people to use their services. If I wanted to use sluggish, overpriced web apps I'd have kept my enV touch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuckinabox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stuckinabox Ad-Free
9th January 2012, 10:58 PM |#63  

More
They really don't do a good job enforcing their software. It takes all of 15 minutes to debloat this phone.

10th January 2012, 12:44 AM |#64  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 604

More
i think i may email motorola about the bootloader again

then im going to see if i can get a hold of vzw people and email them

10th January 2012, 04:33 AM |#65  
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 604

More
To whom this may concern,

First off, I want to say that I enjoy Motorola phones, but lately, there's been an issue with the promising of an unlocking the bootloaders. Motorola promised that in Q4 of 2011 that all motorola devices that were released in the year 2011 would have unlocked bootloaders upon updates in late Q4 '11. It is now January 2012 and that promise has been broken. Numerous people have emailed about this concern. Needless to say, if this isn't going to be followed through with this is going to be my last motorola phone until this promise is followed through. I also know of at least 3300+ (http://www.change.org/petitions/moto...-bootloaders-2 ) signatures of people who are agreeing with me on leaving motorola for HTC or Samsung who have followed through and unlocked their bootloaders on Verizon's network.

Android was made to be open-source and highly customized and with the locked bootloaders there is no full customization of my device. I understand that unlocking the bootloader voids my warranty, but I'm okay with that. In an email that was previously answered, I don't want to be protected from whatever motorola has chosen to protect it's customers from, but as of yet, I'm sick of all this locked down business and I believe in Motorola's eyes that almost 4,000 signatures of customers of your devices will leave if this isn't fully dealt with will hurt motorola's business, but that's my opinion on this matter. Like I said above, if this isn't fully unlocked, I'm never going to buy another motorola phone nor support them. I'm sick of being thrown to the side because I'm just a customer, but shouldn't motorola really pay attention to it's customers and fully support them buying the phones? I think so, I think that the only way motorola has succeeded in the android business is through the customer buying their phones and tablets.

Thank you for listening,
Zachary Robert Griffin

here's the email I sent to motorola just like 5 minutes ago. I may sound harsh in the last bit, but that's what I believe.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ztotherad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ztotherad Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 04:42 AM |#66  
Flag under philadelphia above Delaware, beer heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,546

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

They really don't do a good job enforcing their software. It takes all of 15 minutes to debloat this phone.

Exactly
As if the people who want them unlocked use those services and don't resource
Remove them already.
If people were going to use them they most likely AREN'T the one who are going to unlock and flash ROM anyways...

Let's go moto and VZW...u can only not listen to us for so long.
Do us a favor and start with the x2 since it seems u guys can't getan update to us that is actually worth installing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashclepdia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ashclepdia Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 06:38 AM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclepdia

Exactly
As if the people who want them unlocked use those services and don't resource
Remove them already.
If people were going to use them they most likely AREN'T the one who are going to unlock and flash ROM anyways...

That's what I keep saying! Nobody who actually knows what a bootloader is is going to use that crap!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuckinabox For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stuckinabox Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 06:27 PM |#68  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 805

More
Latest response from Motorola to my email
Here is the link to my last response to Motorola:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=194

Here is the response:

Quote:

Dear Ivan,

I understand how you feel and I apologize for that.

Motorola is concern[sic] on its every Motorola phone and doing its best to continually enchance the system of the phone.

However, rest assured that everything on my end is documented and recorded and will be passed on to a specific department that will review this concern or request so Motorola can also do an immediate action.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at [url to motorola website removed]

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

[support name removed to protect identity]

Here is my response back:

Quote:

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. However, I expect to hear a response within the next week or two from Motorola on the status of bootloaders being unlocked inside the United States. If I don't hear or see a response within that time span, then the X2 will be my final Motorola device and I will inform other people that I know to avoid them as well. This includes the 4,000+ signers on the petition for Motorola to unlock the bootloaders. The petition is located at http://goo.gl/5Pt3p

I know it is beyond your control on making this happen, but as long as someone up in management reads this, then my voice has been heard.

Again, thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Ivan Samuelson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iBolski Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 07:56 PM |#69  

More
The email you received in return had bad grammar. It doesn't portray the professional expectations of a company as large and as powerful as Motorola. In at least glad that you got a response. Hopefully they take your threat seriously, I would love a razr with an unlocked bootloader, but I will also be purchasing my phones elsewhere in the future if they do not comply. It's irritating that they are being so difficult on the matter. We payed for the phone, we should be able to break it if we want to.

10th January 2012, 08:29 PM |#70  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 805

More
Quote:

The email you received in return had bad grammar. It doesn't portray the professional expectations of a company as large and as powerful as Motorola. In at least glad that you got a response. Hopefully they take your threat seriously, I would love a razr with an unlocked bootloader, but I will also be purchasing my phones elsewhere in the future if they do not comply. It's irritating that they are being so difficult on the matter. We payed for the phone, we should be able to break it if we want to.

I'm sure the person sending the email was doing their best, but it does happen. Consider they are probably answering hundreds of these emails a day, if not more and it can get pretty taxing.

But, at least she's been responding and it's out of her control what happens. She's just some poor person trying to make money answering questions the higher-ups don't want to deal with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iBolski For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iBolski Ad-Free
10th January 2012, 09:06 PM |#71  

More
True, and at least it wast a cookie cutter email.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)