Galaxy Nexus Screen - What's Normal, What's Not. (Photos!)

Search This thread

apols

Feb 1, 2011
That's what mine looks like... not sure if it's defective or just normal. Like I posted above, my original Nexus (HTC) had an OLED display that didn't do this..

tim k

Jul 2, 2010
Phila, PA
Below are two pictures of the vertical and horizontal banding on my GN. I noticed the same effect on some blue backgrounds but with grey backgrounds the banding is most annoying. Even with brightness set to 100% the banding is still visible. Blacks are fine.

I had similar vertical banding/striping in mine on grey screens at low brightness. Maybe its just your photo, but mine seemed worse actually. At first I thought maybe it was normal for the screen type, but when I looked closely, I could see that the "bands" weren't even straight lines. Looked almost like water stains inside the screen. That's when I knew something was wrong. I took it back to the Verizon store and compared it to the demo unit and one of the staffer's GN's. Neither of those showed any vertical striping. I got a new GN and the checked out the screen before leaving the store. Happy now (well except for some signal/battery drain issues).

-Tim

apols

Feb 1, 2011
Just ordered a new one from newegg. The Verizon store was ready to swap it right there until they realized I'd bought it from Newegg. Newegg wanted me to ship my old one back first, but I decided to pay a 400 refundable deposit so I wouldn't be without phone for a couple of days. If the second phone I get has this same problem I'm going to be pissed..

chrisexv6

Nov 14, 2010
Just ordered a new one from newegg. The Verizon store was ready to swap it right there until they realized I'd bought it from Newegg. Newegg wanted me to ship my old one back first, but I decided to pay a 400 refundable deposit so I wouldn't be without phone for a couple of days. If the second phone I get has this same problem I'm going to be pissed..

Just went thru the same thing with WireFly. The second phone is actually much worse.

Going back to my Fascinate, I see similar artifacting but to a lesser degree. From the sounds of it, its pretty normal for AMOLED screens. I only see it in certain colors (light to medium gray), so Im pretty sure I will just live with it.

Everything else about my phone is great....radio performance, etc.

tb5...

Oct 19, 2007
Toronto
the galaxy s... has brighter whites. the nexus got that pale look.

could be voodoo colour too... but the i9000 had a great screen.

the GN is nothing to complain about though, great phone... about to root this... and i hope fix all the problems i have...

tumblr_lxeibgBfJE1r5lqojo2_r1_250.gif

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
No display is 100% black, but LED based ones get the closest. As mentioned by another poster, transistors always have a small current so there will be a tiny amount of glow.

Here is a closeup of my Galaxy Nexus with the screen set to black. It was a 15 second exposure.

(Image in attachment since I can't post links yet...)

For comparison, here is an older phone with an LCD next to the GN. 10 second exposure. Quite a difference.

(Image in attachment since I can't post links yet...)

In a completely dark room you can easily see the glow from a Galaxy Nexus set to complete black. But it's VERY dim. In normal lighting, especially with anything at all on the display, the black is near perfect.

As for LCD's... I can READ from the light coming off of any other LCD based display. They have huge light leakage and even in normal lighting the blacks are never even close.

Very interesting.... I couldn't get any light from mine with a 10 second exposure.

Anyway, I've added your pics to the main post.

Thanks!

joshdu1125

Oct 24, 2010
I don't understand the graininess and banding when my brightness is turned down. I had a Nexus One, which had a first gen OLED pentile screen, and it looked way better. I went to a Verizon store today and compared mine with a demo. Mine looked slightly worse in low light situations (Greys and whites), so I'm not sure if my problem is a defect or how it's supposed to be. I would say my experience closely aligns with the images posted by the OP, but this is surprising after hearing all the raves about the screen in reviews...

This wouldn't be so bad, but the only time I have the screen turned all the way up is in bright situations, otherwise it's too bright. So browsing the Net on my phone in bed is inferior to my Evo 3D and Nexus One

I have the same graininess issue, it's so weird and it seem like it's from the glass on the front?

stimr2

Dec 13, 2010
Columbia, SC
I didn't really notice the lines on my Fascinate unless I was using Screen Filter. However, the SAMOLED screen on my Fascinate is defiantly brighter then the SAMOLED HD display on my Galaxy Nexus. The lowest brightness on the Fascinate is brighter than the Galaxy Nexus on the lowest.

On the Fascinate I had to use Screen Filter because it was just too bright. I don't have to on my Galaxy Nexus. However, if you use Screen Filter to lower the brightness on the Fascinate you start to see the same lines as the Galaxy Nexus.

tannor

Dec 12, 2010
I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.

Attachments

• gnexus1.jpg
    gnexus1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,025
  • gnexus2.jpg
    gnexus2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:

apols

Feb 1, 2011
Well this is great. I ordered a new one. The screen quality is much better, but the digitizer is broken on this one.. what a POS. I can't believe the quality control on this piece of junk. After buying a Nexus One, an Evo 3D and now a Galaxy Nexus, only the Nexus One was flawless, I went through 3 Evo's because of digitizers and now I'm going to go on my third nexus. What a POS.. so pissed off right now.

Reverence12389

May 11, 2011
I found this on another thread on a different forum and it does show the inconsistencies of the display.

If you turn down brightness all the way down to the left and can see how greys might become purple.

See attached images. These are 3 different models all with brightness at the lowest from the settings menu.

Of course on mine once I turn brightness up a bit it goes back to normal, so not sure if it really means much.

Those are actually photos of the three phones I received, haha. I have a lot more comparison shots that you can distinctly see the differences, some with auto brightness, some in dark rooms, some in well lit rooms, etc. I finally got fed up with the crappy screen quality control that I returned all three phones today. Hoping that they resolve the issue and I will repurchase the phone once they do.

gs28

Dec 18, 2011
Can anyone confirm the poor viewing angles?

I get a rainbow like effect when tilting screen at extreme angles, this is noticeable on a white screen, and everything goes very dark.

Is this "normal" or should I replace it?

I thought the phonbe had great viewing angles? It's not what I would call great.

Last edited:

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
Can anyone confirm the poor viewing angles?

I get a rainbow like effect when tilting screen at extreme angles, this is noticeable on a white screen, and everything goes very dark.

Is this "normal" or should I replace it?

I thought the phonbe had great viewing angles? It's not what I would call great.

I've seen it in both my phones at about 80* off center. I can't imagine the circumstance where I would be looking at it from that angle so I don't mind.

My guess is it's either the oleophobic coating they used or the curvature of the glass.

rainbownexus.jpg

Last edited:

Sharp75

Jan 12, 2012
Sydney
Are we supposed to see some pictures in the first post? I can't see anything, only text. Is there a forum setting to turn images on?

bigsnack

Feb 5, 2011
Man this is a bit disappointing to read. Has Google or Samsung even acknowledged that there could be an issue with the screen? Cause this could the right device for many(I included), but the screen issue is what is a downer for many.

Crazy CS

Jun 25, 2008
Melbourne
My SGN has a pretty nasty yellow tiny, quite similar to my first SGS2. Second SGS2 i owned had a strong blue tint.

Bloody Samsung...

staticx57

Aug 31, 2008
TR, NJ
What would be a reasonable expectation for the black level? In the dark my screen is a very noticeable shade if grey even on a purpose made black image. In the previous 10 second exposure when I made my own my screen was a very bright green.

Even compared to my HTC Incredible with the original AMOLED the Gnex is noticeably brighter on the same black image

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using XDA App

Last edited:

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
What would be a reasonable expectation for the black level?

To me it would be "under realistic conditions can I distinguish the black from the bezel without having to strain or go looking for it".

I never even noticed my blacks weren't "black" until I shut myself in a windowless room with a pure black image.

blackhand1001

Sep 3, 2011
Anyone else having shorterm image retention issues. Even something being on the home screen for 5 seconds and then switching to like a dark grey screen you can see outlines of the icons for like 15-30 seconds and then they disappear. Its almost as if the pixels get like 95 percent to where they need to be and then lag for the last 5% slowly changing to right color sort of like a much faster version of image retention on a plasma.

Previous phone was a amoled incredible that didn't have this issue or if it did not anywhere close to as severe.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got the Nexus today and having no experience with the AMOLED screens (iPhones and EVO before) I'm not sure what is considered normal and what is defective. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but very few examples.

Whites (Brightness 0-100%)

whites-1.gif

Greys (Brightness 0-100%)

blacks-1.gif

More Texture (bad) left, Less Texture (good) right.

nexuscompare1.jpg

Viewing Angle - UPDATE: My new Nexus has much less tint when viewed at an angle. *Colors adjusted to match as close as possible in Adobe Lightroom - and they are very close.

compareViewingAngle.jpg
    nexuscompare2.jpg

Viewing Angle - At extreme angles the screen with produce an iridescent effect.

rainbownexus.jpg

Courtesy of TAMIM2007 - Left Galaxy nexus / right Galaxy 1

2c.JPG

Courtesy of iansmith

Galaxy Nexus OLED's with a black screen showing red and green pixels are indeed slightly lit even though it should be "black" (15 second exposure).

AMOLED-BLack.gif

Galaxy Nexus "black" vs LCD "black" (15 second exposure).

LCDvsAMOLED.gif

THESE ARE DEFECTS Exchange these phones... You shouldn't have to live like this!

Courtesy of asb123 - Tint Fade at 0% brightness.

tint_fade.jpg

Courtesy of staticx57 - Black spots on a dark screen. Very common issue, odds are your replacement screen will have these, too.

black_spots.jpg

Courtesy of blackhand1001 - Image Retention issues.

image_retention.jpg

Courtesy of tonnytech - Banding and Transparent Lines

banding.jpg
    lines.jpg

If other people want to add their own pictures for analysis I'll try and add them to the first post so people new to the AMOLED world can feel better about theirs/exchange for a new one.
    So here is correctly-calibrated screen 1st one on the left. See attachment.
    Just dont deal with screen issues that you dont notice every day and are not that big problem. If in 99.9% situations the screen is ok let i be, we are still not in age where everything will be perfect. I compared display with Iphone 4S and be happy guys. It has much better colors (not sure with white). Black is much much more black and other colors are more richer. 4.0.2 factory also increased minimal brightness so this paper pattern is no longer big deal. I was really worried about display when I bought it but now everything is ok. In the evenings I switch on the screen (to look at clock) and black merges with borders and I just see beatiful screen :). btw its just Super Amoled HD not plus. Plus should be still in development and maybe it will appear in Galaxy S3 I would rather if not (it feels better if you know there isnt better display). Some models have issues but I dont know smartphone or just phone which dont.

I have corrected color balance using application "Screen Adjuster 1.6"
    (it's free application)

Settings
    Red +0
    Green +0
    Blue +6

Now the color balance is much better for me :)