The First bootable SDCard for Nook Tablet

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Hi, I've produced a bootable SDCard. It requires a minimum of a 4Gig external SDCard. Download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZHHUB3FZFS

Problems:
Wifi does not work.

About:
I call it a RAM as opposed to a ROM because the filesystem is not image based, but flat-filesystem based, like your desktop. You can easily read and write as permissions are set for that. This can be useful for those who would like to play around with skinning the nook, or simply learn more about Android. You will need a Linux or Mac computer to read the EXT4 filesystem.

Instructions:
To make your own bootable SDCard, use Linux, untar.gz the file. Mount an SDCard, then use the following code block and your own knowledge of the command prompt.
Code:
sudo dd if=MyUnCompressedImage of=/dev/MySDCardRoot
where MyUnCompressedImage is the name of the uncompressed file(/home/adam/Desktop/AdamOutlerFile), and MySDCardRoot is the main SD device(/dev/sdb), and not a Partition (/dev/sdc1).

Using a Linux computer, you can modify your own custom ROM using this image. Just remember.. This is a development tool/ proof of concept and not a complete project.

Here are the technical details:
Partition1 contains:
MLO(xLoader)
uboot.bin(secure U-Boot)
flashing_boot.bin(unsecure U-Boot)
boot.bin(kernel)
Partition2 contains:
Linux/Android Filesystem -(On most Androids, this would be Ramdisk, System, Data, Cache and others)

Here is a video demonstrating that it works.
I am done working with Android for now and will be working on Ubuntu from SDCard as well as Recovery from SDCard (with damaged bootloaders).

Credits:
bauwks - for the non-modchip based crack
xIndirect -for providing knoledge and support
Loglud - for sending a tablet to me.
Pokeyi9000 - for locating the UART port
hkvc - for showing how to hack uboot

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Additional:
To make more storage space, increase the size of the system partition.
Adb is enabled by default and nook storage automount is disabled by default.
This RAM contains NTHiddenSettings, HomeCatcher, LauncherPro and a few other basics.

Motivation:
I have now officially met the goal stated in my first post in the Nook Tablet community seen here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20091667&postcount=8. Last night, in the chat room, someone wanted to dispute the fact that I used the words "hardware solution".. If you'd like a hardware solution, this code can be run on an ATTiny4313 hooked to UART to totally obliterate the security on the nook tablet. Here is the code for the first hardware bootloader unlock I came up with for the Nook Tablet:
Code:
/*
Barnes and Nobel Nook Tablet UnBrickable Modchip
 Copyright 2011 Adam Outler - hkvc
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
 it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
 (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
 GNU General Public License for more details.
-Adam Outler  adamoutler, gmail.com
*/

boolean Position[3]={true,true,true};//Place holders for operation
int inByte; //current byte
String Message=""; //current string of bytes
//begin sketch

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200); //Initialize UART and set baud for serial
  Serial.println("I are your god now");
  }
void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()) {
    inByte = Serial.read();
    if ( inByte == 10 ){
      Message="";
    } 
    else {
      Message=Message +(char)inByte; //dump char into string
      if (Message == "OMAP44XX SDP # "){
        if ( Position[1]){
          Serial.println("O hai Nook Im in ur memory");
          Serial.println("mmcinit 0; fatload mmc 0:1 0x81000000 new.flashing_boot.img;");
          Serial.println("Mai kernel is ur kernel");
          Position[1]=(!Position[1]);
          return;

} else if ( Position[2]){
          Serial.println("Ur Security is my target");
          Serial.println("mw.l 80e84794 e1a00000; mw.l 80e847fc e1a00000; mw.l 80e84808 e1a00000; mw.l 80e847a0 e1a00000;");
          Serial.println("Ur Security is neutralized");
          Position[2]=(!Position[2]);
          return;
        } 
        else if ( Position[3]){
          Serial.println("boot mai kernel now");
          Serial.print("booti 0x81000000");
          Serial.println("k thx bai");
          Position[3]=(!Position[3]);
          lockup;
        }
      }  
    }
  }
  if (millis()>=60000){
    lockup;
  }
}
void lockup(){
  while(true){
    delay(50000);//program cannot end, only sleep
  }
}
however, the need for the "UnBrickable Modchip" was obsoleted while I was waiting for parts to arrive.. Bauwks method works almost as well ;)

Last edited:

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
This is awesome and really great work. I can't see the book to well so I was wondering what os this is running. From your descriptrion you have ubuntu to the sd. Also do we have to have linux to make this work or can I do it with windows. I know its not done but was wondering what your end goal is.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
This is awesome and really great work. I can't see the book to well so I was wondering what os this is running. From your descriptrion you have ubuntu to the sd. Also do we have to have linux to make this work or can I do it with windows. I know its not done but was wondering what your end goal is.

This is not Ubuntu. That is a separate project. I don't have any goal with this, it is a proof of concept and it is enough to get the Nook Tablet totally booting an unsecure "ROM" from the sdcard. As I stated,
This RAM contains NTHiddenSettings, HomeCatcher, LauncherPro and a few other basics.
otherwise it's mostly nook... However it's unlocked bootloader, unsecure kernel, flattened filesystem ramdisk-system-data-cache, and booting from SDCard.

Last edited:

sungod88

Dec 28, 2011
That is awesome so it is similarly can be similar to the cynagen mod 7 for nc? With the insecure kernel a dev could make their own. If I knew how I would do it myself since I have tons of free time. Anyway you could point me in the right direction to learn? I would love to help

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
That is awesome so it is similarly can be similar to the cynagen mod 7 for nc? With the insecure kernel a dev could make their own. If I knew how I would do it myself since I have tons of free time. Anyway you could point me in the right direction to learn? I would love to help

Download the image, make a card and start learning how to work with Linux. You can learn alot by using an example. After that, grab source from the Kindle Fire, remove the stupid modules which fail to load and use that kernel source to build your own.

Myque

Nov 23, 2011
Guatemala
Tried with a 16gb sd but seems to take a looooot of time, is that normal?

Nvm I aborted it but tried it, actually it worked but took me to nook tablet welcome screen (my brother freaked out bcuz he though he lost all his stuff)

Last edited:

wuziq

Jun 1, 2010
pretty sick. i just got my parents a nook color, and they're booting cm7 from sdcard. would be awesome for the nook tablet to do the same, and this seems to enable development in that direction. thanks!

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Just to confirm this rom is just a standard NT rom with root access yes? It's nothing different from having the standard tablet and rooting it other than it's running from the SDcard?

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Just to confirm this rom is just a standard NT rom with root access yes? It's nothing different from having the standard tablet and rooting it other than it's running from the SDcard?

It's rooted. However I already listed the changes.
None of which have the slightest relation to "rooting".

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Needs more smileys!

If this post helped click the thanks button!

Or possibly differnet wording, even with smileys that's still rather grumpy style reply. But at least he does reply. Many of the Devs I see their posts go on for days without any replies from the actual dev to people asking questions or giving feedback.

That’s why I said thanks for the reply ;)

dodgepot

Jan 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Completely off topic but when I first moved to the states from UK, that's one of the first things I noticed over here.

Must be a cultural thing *shrug*

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Adam, if you became ambassador of the USA, Canada and the UK would get together and nuke us.

However, thanks for replying. :D

That’s the best statement I've seen about Adams abruptness yet! Certainly made me laugh.

Luckily we all know it's just the way his is. I feel sorry for the total newbies that have never read any of his posts before and get a reply from him. bet they go off in a huff lol

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
I've found my style of response quite effective in reducing the numbers of noob questions which could easily be solved by a simple search or reading of the first post. The alternative is to answer each question individually and continuously repeat the same solution page-after-page. I want to respond to each person and I check on every one of my threads, however, it's not worth it to repeat the OP on each page. So, after 3,000 posts, Ive found that niceness gets you nowhere and a straight-forward, no-nonsense, captain-obvious, point-out-the-flaws answer is the most effective way to convey a message.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I've produced a bootable SDCard. It requires a minimum of a 4Gig external SDCard. Download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/ZHHUB3FZFS

Problems:
    Wifi does not work.

About:
    I call it a RAM as opposed to a ROM because the filesystem is not image based, but flat-filesystem based, like your desktop. You can easily read and write as permissions are set for that. This can be useful for those who would like to play around with skinning the nook, or simply learn more about Android. You will need a Linux or Mac computer to read the EXT4 filesystem.

Instructions:
    To make your own bootable SDCard, use Linux, untar.gz the file. Mount an SDCard, then use the following code block and your own knowledge of the command prompt.
    Code:
    sudo dd if=MyUnCompressedImage of=/dev/MySDCardRoot
    where MyUnCompressedImage is the name of the uncompressed file(/home/adam/Desktop/AdamOutlerFile), and MySDCardRoot is the main SD device(/dev/sdb), and not a Partition (/dev/sdc1).

Using a Linux computer, you can modify your own custom ROM using this image. Just remember.. This is a development tool/ proof of concept and not a complete project.

Here are the technical details:
    Partition1 contains:
    MLO(xLoader)
    uboot.bin(secure U-Boot)
    flashing_boot.bin(unsecure U-Boot)
    boot.bin(kernel)
    Partition2 contains:
    Linux/Android Filesystem -(On most Androids, this would be Ramdisk, System, Data, Cache and others)

Here is a video demonstrating that it works.
    I am done working with Android for now and will be working on Ubuntu from SDCard as well as Recovery from SDCard (with damaged bootloaders).

Credits:
    bauwks - for the non-modchip based crack
    xIndirect -for providing knoledge and support
    Loglud - for sending a tablet to me.
    Pokeyi9000 - for locating the UART port
    hkvc - for showing how to hack uboot
    I've found my style of response quite effective in reducing the numbers of noob questions which could easily be solved by a simple search or reading of the first post. The alternative is to answer each question individually and continuously repeat the same solution page-after-page. I want to respond to each person and I check on every one of my threads, however, it's not worth it to repeat the OP on each page. So, after 3,000 posts, Ive found that niceness gets you nowhere and a straight-forward, no-nonsense, captain-obvious, point-out-the-flaws answer is the most effective way to convey a message.

Download the image, make a card and start learning how to work with Linux. You can learn alot by using an example. After that, grab source from the Kindle Fire, remove the stupid modules which fail to load and use that kernel source to build your own.
    Needs more smileys!

If this post helped click the thanks button!
    I've found my style of response quite effective in reducing the numbers of noob questions

I bet it does. I've also found that saying "Why don't you just F-Off and read the god damn post you useless idiot" works well for that too :)

Anyway, I digress.

Once again thanks for all your efforts. I really did think you'd be the first to have a working honeycomb / ICS rom released for the nook tablet but it would appear it's far more difficult than all of you have been able to manage yet.

More time will tell who'll win that challenge I guess.

Such a shame that you didn't all manage to club together and win the money for the Charity as per the other post. Wonder what happens to all the money that that dodgy website had taken in donations to get the Bootable rom on SDCard? They just seem rather dodgy full stop to me...