ICS expected by April now?

Search This thread

strra

Aug 28, 2008
Lake George, MI
According to Acer ANZ's Facebook page, the a500 is now scheduled to get the ICS update by April 2012 as opposed to the former January expectation.
I suppose this is better than not getting it at all :)
Hopefully, someone will have a fully functioning build sooner than Acer does!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/AcerANZ

Also, attached a picture of the comment.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,583
Last edited:

masands

Apr 15, 2010
If you look again, ACER ANZ have removed their comment. This can only mean 1 thing; that they were wrong/didn't know the actual date.

hardslog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2009
It will come when it comes. At least Acer is a lot faster than Samsung when it comes to software updates, especially to its "lesser known" devices........

If you are dying to get ICS there is a ROM for it over at tegra owners. Almost everything is working except for the camera. You do so at your own risk though.

strra

Aug 28, 2008
Lake George, MI
If you look again, ACER ANZ have removed their comment. This can only mean 1 thing; that they were wrong/didn't know the actual date.

Well, I don't know about it only meaning that.. Maybe the guy's boss found out that he spilled the beans and demanded he take it down...
Anyway, we all hope he was full of it and Acer Poland was right with January. But like I said, better April than never.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wthomas50

Dec 24, 2011
Noel,Nova Scotia
January would be good,Feb. Is OK, April is along way off. I just hope we get it.Just got a survey from Acerasking how I liked A500, responded that they should make sure that an OTA update to ICS comes soon, said that alot of people on xda developers and other Acer and android sites expect it and will be pi**ed with Acer if it doesn't come soon.I know this would be my last Acer product if it does not happen.

Wayne

Last edited:

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Actually, let me clear up some of the confusion. The February-April ICS date mentioned was ICS estimated release for ACER's new hardware. For example, if you buy an a200 they will tell you to look for ICS starting in February as an OTA.

Again, everyone needs to watch actually what ACER is actually saying. Because they are releasing new hardware (really nice what I saw at CES) with HC, it is nuking up the waters. I stood there at CES and watched a person come up and ask 'when we getting ICS?' and they replied starting in Feb. But, when I asked the salesman, are you saying we're getting ICS on the a500, starting in Feb? The sales person said, no. That this was for these new tablets they're releasing now with HC. But, the person asking had already walked away assuming they were talking about all tablets with HC.

So a lot of people are taking this as ACER saying older equipment will also be getting the ICS OTA. This is not clear, nor has it been clear when we've talked to ACER directly. It really depends on which way the wind blows. They told the 'suits' here that it wasn't then was, and then it wasn't. So, maybe you have to drink more to understand it <lol>.

So, if you want ICS then load a custom ROM that already has it. You can always flash back if and when they release it.

TD

Last edited:
K

kjy2010

If it takes Acer until April to get ICS to the A500, I'll be buying anything BUT an Acer that is out with Teg3 and ICS.
Scr3w that! :p

newbkilla

Dec 7, 2010
Yeah... hoping I didn't get screwed over for the second time; once by motorola and now soon* by acer. I still believe in you acer!

nifterific

Jan 1, 2012
I think I'm with you too. CES had some really, really, really nice Teg3 ones and NO LOCKED bootloader.

Dont forget that the a500 didnt ship with a locked bootloader, that was patched in. No guarantee that the teg3 devices will stay unocked.

On another note, are the new acer tablets the same as these, but with teg3? I ask because the only reason I dont run ICS now is because I need the camera. If it isnt figured out by then (it seems more devices are getting it running now) could the camera stuff be taken from the a200or whatever?

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Dont forget that the a500 didnt ship with a locked bootloader, that was patched in. No guarantee that the teg3 devices will stay unocked.

On another note, are the new acer tablets the same as these, but with teg3? I ask because the only reason I dont run ICS now is because I need the camera. If it isnt figured out by then (it seems more devices are getting it running now) could the camera stuff be taken from the a200or whatever?

You know you're right with the locked bootloader, but I was thinking of a vendor that has a policy not to lock it.

The camera is not the only issue we've had with hardware drivers on ICS. It will depend on what hardware you really need supported and/or matters to you. Some of the tablets at CES with ICS crashed or parts didn't work in some of the demos. No real big issues because they are not yet ready. The vendors that have been working on ICS for a while seem to very stable.
TD

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
The a 200 does not have a rear facing cam. the a 510 I am not sure. Both have a teg 2 so not much of a upgrade from the a 500. The a 700 I am not sure of because it is still so new.:(

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
The next Asus one with the higher screen Res looked nice, but Asus support is worse than Acer's, which really isn't saying much these days. :eek:

My current ASUS I like (transformer). I liked the Toshiba Thrive better right up to the last OTA which is when they locked the boot loader (removed fastboot actually).

Samsung Galaxy 10 I have is pretty good too. I'm just sick of fighting locked devices then we find an exploit then they patch it. PUKE. I'm really thinking Windows 8 might be a better solution.

TD

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

The a 200 does not have a rear facing cam. the a 510 I am not sure. Both have a teg 2 so not much of a upgrade from the a 500. The a 700 I am not sure of because it is still so new.:(

Isn't the rear camera not supported on ICS because no drivers and the one they put on the NEW A200 does? Why only the front, not sure?

Some of the hardware devices that we use on the a500 have no ICS drivers at all and non-planned (official from ACER). However we were assured that on their new line they would have all the hardware drivers for what we need. However, we have to purchase new devices. Reminds me of upgrading Windows just to find out you need to buy a new printer, or the time I had to purchase a new scanner because there were no drivers for my win98 fax/scanner when I went to XP.

So for us, ICS isn't even an option because lack of device drivers on the a500, unless that changes. But for most, maybe it won't matter. But, can you imagine waking up to find ICS downloaded on your a500 and your keyboard doesn't work? Or your mobile card? How about your blood pressure monitor, or diabetes tester? With a locked bootloader how you going fix that, and if you roll back, OTA's still keep a coming unless you can root it.

A mad house I tell you, a mad house. Sometimes I think they think we're trainable monkey's. Take your dirty stinky locked bootloader off my tablet you dang dirty ACER update.

TD

Last edited:

go.george

Aug 8, 2011
Attica
I also think I am done with acer for two reasons. Updates get postponed each and every time and that not very fair for their customers... Maybe they should hire some more programer or I don't know what..... Also the quality of build is terrible. My volume button broke and when i opened the device I saw it was based on two tiny plastic "legs" that could break anyway by hard use; so be careful with it. On the other hand the hardware it is in general good and no any software problems (with custom rom of course). If any other new device come with full USB port then bye bye acer!!!!!!!

firetruck41

May 15, 2011
Portland, OR
Actually, let me clear up some of the confusion. The February-April ICS date mentioned was ICS estimated release for ACER's new hardware. For example, if you buy an a200 they will tell you to look for ICS starting in February as an OTA.

Again, everyone needs to watch actually what ACER is actually saying. Because they are releasing new hardware (really nice what I saw at CES) with HC, it is nuking up the waters. I stood there at CES and watched a person come up and ask 'when we getting ICS?' and they replied starting in Feb. But, when I asked the salesman, are you saying we're getting ICS on the a500, starting in Feb? The sales person said, no. That this was for these new tablets they're releasing now with HC. But, the person asking had already walked away assuming they were talking about all tablets with HC.

So a lot of people are taking this as ACER saying older equipment will also be getting the ICS OTA. This is not clear, nor has it been clear when we've talked to ACER directly. It really depends on which way the wind blows. They told the 'suits' here that it wasn't then was, and then it wasn't. So, maybe you have to drink more to understand it <lol>.

So, if you want ICS then load a custom ROM that already has it. You can always flash back if and when they release it.

TD

Once again, you completely miss the mark. Your lack of reading comprehension is phenomenal or you didn't even read the original post and attachment.

If you read the attachment in the original post, you would see there is absolutely no way to construe it, as even remotely referring, to some future/yet to be released Acer tablets. It was intended for current A500 owners.

IMHO, you really don't have the credibility to "let you clear up some of the confusion". Your "anti ICS upgrade" dogma, is starting to cloud your judgement and apparently your understanding of the English language.

Now, as to why the post was removed, it could be a myriad of things, either "good" or "bad", for those wishing for an upgrade.

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
Once again, you completely miss the mark. Your lack of reading comprehension is phenomenal or you didn't even read the original post and attachment.

If you read the attachment in the original post, you would see there is absolutely no way to construe it, as even remotely referring, to some future/yet to be released Acer tablets. It was intended for current A500 owners.

IMHO, you really don't have the credibility to "let you clear up some of the confusion". Your "anti ICS upgrade" dogma, is starting to cloud your judgement and apparently your understanding of the English language.

Now, as to why the post was removed, it could be a myriad of things, either "good" or "bad", for those wishing for an upgrade.

You know, I would agree with you if you:
1. You were at CES with us.
2. You were a reseller of ACER tablets like us.
3. You have had reps in your office from ACER like us.
4. You personally wrote software for the ACER that is is sold in over 8 countries like us.
5. You went to the annual ACER meeting like us.
6. You wrote hardware device drivers for ACER, Toshiba, Samsung, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, HTC, . . . .Like we do!
7. You actually owned retails stores in multiple states that sells ACER products like us.
8. That your P&L showed more than 2.3 million on the ACER Cost Center in NET software sales alone like us

In other words, I hope this clears it up for you.

TD

Last edited:

firetruck41

May 15, 2011
Portland, OR
You know, I would agree with you if you:
1. You were at CES with us.
2. You were a reseller of ACER tablets like us.
3. You have had reps in your office from ACER like us.
4. You personally wrote software for the ACER that is is sold in over 8 countries like us.
5. You went to the annual ACER meeting like us.
6. You wrote hardware device drivers for ACER, Toshiba, Samsung, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, HTC, . . . .Like we do!
7. You actually owned retails stores in multiple states that sells ACER products like us.
8. That your P&L should more than 2.3 million on ACER NET software sales alone like us

In other words, I hope this clears it up for you.

TD
So you didn't read the original post of this thread and its attachment?

timmyDean

Sep 8, 2011
Chicago
firetruck41,

I'm just trying to share with you where these dates are coming from and they are coming from NOT some per speculation or something else.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to Acer ANZ's Facebook page, the a500 is now scheduled to get the ICS update by April 2012 as opposed to the former January expectation.
    I suppose this is better than not getting it at all :)
    Hopefully, someone will have a fully functioning build sooner than Acer does!

The Facebook page is here: http://www.facebook.com/AcerANZ

Also, attached a picture of the comment.
    The employees over at Apple can't wait until lunch time to turn on there Ipads, while eating there bologna sandwiches and read these android forums. That's there entertainment they look forward to every day, all the 20 different ROMs. versions, HC, ICS. 2.0, 2.1, gingerbread, bricking,fighting, arguing there going to buy something else because there not getting there OTA until April, no support, bad quality,plastic buttons breaking, bad wifi, bad sound, bad battery life. Buuuuuttttt wait WE HAVE FLASH and they DON'T. They must think we are all idiots over here and laugh at us every day and know this is why Apple will always remain #1. I have a stock A500 ( will never get a apple product) that works great and I don't care if I ever get ICS. ICS will never make this Pad work any better for what it is. It is just for reading books ,surfing, some game playing and taking to doctor appointments and playing solitaire while waiting . My A500 reminds me of my motor cycle it is just for fun and it will NEVER replace my car or Laptop. I remember when everybody was crying for 3.1 and then 3.2 and still nobody's happy. The last update finally fixed the market and If I never get another up date I'll happy. Besides ICS was developed for phones not Pads. Its just a glorified Honeycomb to make phone users happy because they never got HC. You can not please all the people all of the time. Let the responses begin:D
    Well, I guess most of us want it because of the performance improvements: most of the UI transitions and effects are smoother and the browser is a lot faster. Atleast for me those are plenty good reasons to want it, I find A500 as it currently is terribly laggy and lacking in performance.

I so agree with this.. ICS has added a whole new hardware rendering engine into the us. This new render ability increases performance fluid like UI. and improved memory and CPU optimization. that will also lower the battery demand .. Not this update does not have a lot visual changes that you can see and touch. Its how the OS Handles the task you already do..

It will come i do believe. If not from acer but from this forum.. I do want to point out if you are on stock . if YOU DO GET ICS Pushed to you.. i would not jump and install the update.. let it download to install later . then ask in the form dev section. how to extract the link.. Let the DEVOPERS GET IT ROOTED .. or you might be stuck with no root
    You know, the thing is, Android in general just has a BROKEN ecosystem right now. Every body comes in here posting I am done with Acer, I will never buy another Acer again, and all that stuff, but the problem is not unique to Acer.

It seems every company pushes devices out the door and forgets about them. I bought a G1 and have used Android devices ever since. I buy phones out right - don't do the 2 year contact thing so I am constantly switching up, and ALMOST every device forum you go to, once the device is released its done. You will get minor updates but no major updates. Look at how many phones in the wild today are STILL running Froyo? In fact - that is the VERY reason this website thrives, because we have to count on the awesome people here that are willing to do what they manufacturers won't.

Right now I am running a Samsung Vibrant with MIUI - to Samsung its a dead device. Many people that have it under contract probably have over a year to go before they can upgrade.

The thing is I don't care what version of Android my device is running as long as it runs all the latest Apps. Right now I can probably count the apps on my fingers that WILL run on my Tegra 2 Acer tablet with Honeycomb and WONT run on my Arm7 phone with Froyo/Gingerbread. (Not talking tegra specific apps). On the other hand my Phone can a LOT of apps my tablet can't.

Google is just releasing to may versions to fast, and its leaving a lot of device owners in the dust. It seems the "unofficial" life cycle for any Android device is about a year. Sometimes less. By the time tablet/phone makers get their product out the door Google is cooking up a new Android version and they say well screw it, we have a newer better product coming up let's launch IT with the new Android version and screw the rest.

But when it comes down to it, this is NOT just Acer. All Android device manufacturers are guilty of doing this exact same thing, and so far Motorolla and Samsung have been the worst, but that might just be because overall they have more devices out there. (Xoom does not really count because that was a Google Experience device so it had Google working on it to). And don't get me started on HTC. Right now today people are signing 2 year contracts on Froyo/Gingerbread phones that will NEVER see an update. People are buying Honeycomb tablets TODAY that will NEVER see an update.

Google just needs to focus on fixing the infrastructure of Android and NOT releasing new versions. Imagine if PC Windows came in yearly flavors, and Window 2012 would never get ported to Windows 2011 device.